Trucks, tracks, tall tales and true from all over the world

Spardo:
Patience Dig, 30 years? Not even a lifetime. There’ll be a knock on the door any day now, yeah right. :unamused:

What you did is what I miss, the brotherhood of the road, but even more important out in the middle of nowhere like that. Like being ‘given’ spare wheels by my mates at Buntines when my 16 punctures exceeded the 12 I carried. :smiley: That was only the first trip when I had been given, at the start of the season, all the rag tyres. :wink: But it did exist in Europe too, in the days before extreme ‘hurry up’ and firm delivery times when you were either there or told to come back another day. :frowning:

Thanks David for the kind words I too miss the camaradery but I fear my straps have been long retired to the rubbish bin as the gentleman in question is far to busy with his stardom role on Outback Truckers .
He did visit the UK i understand and an old workmate from United Carriers days joined the queu for an autograph and asked on my behalf for their return but got no response . :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Cheers Dig.

DIG:

Spardo:
Patience Dig, 30 years? Not even a lifetime. There’ll be a knock on the door any day now, yeah right. :unamused:

What you did is what I miss, the brotherhood of the road, but even more important out in the middle of nowhere like that. Like being ‘given’ spare wheels by my mates at Buntines when my 16 punctures exceeded the 12 I carried. :smiley: That was only the first trip when I had been given, at the start of the season, all the rag tyres. :wink: But it did exist in Europe too, in the days before extreme ‘hurry up’ and firm delivery times when you were either there or told to come back another day. :frowning:

Thanks David for the kind words I too miss the camaradery but I fear my straps have been long retired to the rubbish bin as the gentleman in question is far to busy with his stardom role on Outback Truckers .
He did visit the UK i understand and an old workmate from United Carriers days joined the queu for an autograph and asked on my behalf for their return but got no response . :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Cheers Dig.

I have never seen Outback Truckers, not sure if I knew it existed, but I would have been prepared to be not impressed, as I was with the Canadian Ice Road Truckers and all the set-up situations organised for that b/s. :laughing:

The life of a long distance lorry driver, as we used to call ourselves, can be exciting and eventful from time to time, but 90% of it was boring hard graft, punctuated, to get back to my point, with the cameraderie, so to make series like that needs a great deal of inventiveness.

Hi Guys, I have just got to make it clear that these are not all my stories, and my thanks go out to all the original posters. :smiley:
That’s why I make a point of copying and pasting the name of the poster and the date of when it first appeared on this forum.

One of the reasons why I am reposting them, is because I think that there are a lot of Trucknet members who might have missed them, the first time around. Another reason is because I find then really interesting, and I hope that other people might recall similar instances when they were on the road.

It would be great if other Trucknet members added their, or other stories that they may have seen on here, especially from our Canadian Cousins as I am sure that they would have a few yarns to share with us.

I think that Ray, a.k.a. Flishflunk, can remember a particular bad day ‘at the office’.

Postby flishflunk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:35 am

Hi,
there’s been a few posts about scarey towing, how about, for want of a better word, comical towing.

Broke down one day, about 1973, in a Leyland Clydesdale, just south of J15 on M6. Gearbox knackered. Wagon is only a few months old. Wait about 4 hours for Kays of Stoke to send a breakdown truck. Breakdown truck arrived and I was trying to decide which one of them was the oldest, the truck or the driver. (they both looked about 70) :laughing:

You’re alright son, he said I’ve been doing this since 19 naught plonk. So out comes the bar which he and his mate duly connect to the back of the breakdown truck and then try to connect the other end to the front offside towing eye on my lorry. Which I might add is a 2 axle 16 tonner fully loaded with timber. Unfortunately the end of the tow bar is too big to fit. Not to worry says driver, we’ll put a shackle on it, oops, still too big, let’s put a smaller one on as well and another and another and so on until it fitted. So now we had a solid bar and about a foot or so of shackles.

Will that be alright? Says I. no problems he said, I’ve done it this way hundreds of times. So off we go down to J14 on to A34 and headed back towards Stoke. I managed to get him to stop in a lay-by opposite the cafe that was on the other side of the road. What’s the matter? He said. I want a cup of tea and something to eat, I’ve not had anything for about 6 Hours, I replied. OK he said. How’s it riding, bloody awful, says I, it’s snatching, lurching and the bar keeps banging.

No problems he said I’ve done it this way hundreds of times, if there was anything wrong I would feel it in my cab. So eventually we reach the Stoke area about evening rush hour. Now Stoke has a fair few hump back bridges, second or third one we came to the towing wagon goes over the hump and I stay where I am. So I’m sat there watching him vanish into the distance dragging half my bumper behind him.

Eventually he noticed I wasn’t behind. So he reversed about ¾ of a mile. He said, that’s strange, I’ve done this hundreds of times, never had this happen before, never mind he said we’re nearly there now we’ll use the other towing eye. So he connects it all up again and off we go. We then come to a set of traffic lights at the top of a hill, but for some unknown reason he stopped at the bottom of the hill and engaged first gear. So off we went, his wagon did that much lurching it must have been filled up with Kangaroo juice.

First gear all the way up the hill, just before we got to the lights, they changed to red, so he now changes up a gear and fly’s off, dragging the other half of my bumper behind him and once again leaving me behind. Now in the middle of the rush hour he reverses across a main traffic light junction.

So I say to him, what you going to do now? Err we’ll use the axle clamp…what you laughing at? :laughing: :laughing: axle clamp, I said, why didn’t you use that in the first place? Didn’t need it, he said, I’ve done this hundreds of times. :confused: :confused:

Ray

KAY’S OF STOKE.

And can I just thank ‘Diesel Dave’ for patrolling the Old Time Lorries thread for all these years and I think that he only ever had one complaint from Dave Docra, many years ago.

Moderators need to do more…

Postby dave docwra » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:48 am

CAN ADMINS ON THIS FORUM DO A BETTER JOB OF MONITORING WHO IS ALLOWED IN HERE PLEASE?!
WE HAVE A NEW MEMBER, AN ELDERLY WOMAN. SHE’S BEEN PRIVATELY MESSAGING PEOPLE, SENDING THEM NAKED PICTURES OF HERSELF IN NASTY POSES ALONG WITH CLOSE UPS OF HER UNMENTIONABLES.
SHE IS OFFERING AN IPHONE 11 IN EXCHANGE FOR ■■■■■■ FAVORS. I AM ESPECIALLY BOTHERED BECAUSE IT TURNED OUT TO BE AN IPHONE 6 AND OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING’S WRONG WITH IT. IT’S SUPER SLOW AND THE CAPS LOCK WON’T TURN OFF. :laughing:

That’a a cracker, both of them, MRM. :laughing: :laughing:

I won’t tell you about all the times I am propositioned by elderly ladies but will about my own little towing incident.

Midlands Storage, I think it was because I had a Mk 1 Atki. A load of pipes or something to be delivered to the middle of a large new roundabout on the North Circular. I baulked at that because the ground looked a bit soft but the bloke said ‘no worries the D8 will get you on there’. Most of you will remember the really solid crash bar attached to the chassis of the old Mk.1s, don’t you? Well that was what was still attached to the back of the D 8, a long way from me who had barely started the journey required. :imp: :laughing:

mushroomman:
Hi Guys, I have just got to make it clear that these are not all my stories, and my thanks go out to all the original posters. :smiley:
That’s why I make a point of copying and pasting the name of the poster and the date of when it first appeared on this forum.

One of the reasons why I am reposting them, is because I think that there are a lot of Trucknet members who might have missed them, the first time around. Another reason is because I find then really interesting, and I hope that other people might recall similar instances when they were on the road.

It would be great if other Trucknet members added their, or other stories that they may have seen on here, especially from our Canadian Cousins as I am sure that they would have a few yarns to share with us.

I think that Ray, a.k.a. Flishflunk, can remember a particular bad day ‘at the office’.

Hi,
there’s been a few posts about scarey towing, how about, for want of a better word, comical towing.

Broke down one day, about 1973, in a Leyland Clydesdale, just south of J15 on M6. Gearbox knackered. Wagon is only a few months old. Wait about 4 hours for Kays of Stoke to send a breakdown truck. Breakdown truck arrived and I was trying to decide which one of them was the oldest, the truck or the driver. (they both looked about 70) :laughing:

You’re alright son, he said I’ve been doing this since 19 naught plonk. So out comes the bar which he and his mate duly connect to the back of the breakdown truck and then try to connect the other end to the front offside towing eye on my lorry. Which I might add is a 2 axle 16 tonner fully loaded with timber. Unfortunately the end of the tow bar is too big to fit. Not to worry says driver, we’ll put a shackle on it, oops, still too big, let’s put a smaller one on as well and another and another and so on until it fitted. So now we had a solid bar and about a foot or so of shackles.

Will that be alright? Says I. no problems he said, I’ve done it this way hundreds of times. So off we go down to J14 on to A34 and headed back towards Stoke. I managed to get him to stop in a lay-by opposite the cafe that was on the other side of the road. What’s the matter? He said. I want a cup of tea and something to eat, I’ve not had anything for about 6 Hours, I replied. OK he said. How’s it riding, bloody awful, says I, it’s snatching, lurching and the bar keeps banging.

No problems he said I’ve done it this way hundreds of times, if there was anything wrong I would feel it in my cab. So eventually we reach the Stoke area about evening rush hour. Now Stoke has a fair few hump back bridges, second or third one we came to the towing wagon goes over the hump and I stay where I am. So I’m sat there watching him vanish into the distance dragging half my bumper behind him.

Eventually he noticed I wasn’t behind. So he reversed about ¾ of a mile. He said, that’s strange, I’ve done this hundreds of times, never had this happen before, never mind he said we’re nearly there now we’ll use the other towing eye. So he connects it all up again and off we go. We then come to a set of traffic lights at the top of a hill, but for some unknown reason he stopped at the bottom of the hill and engaged first gear. So off we went, his wagon did that much lurching it must have been filled up with Kangaroo juice.

First gear all the way up the hill, just before we got to the lights, they changed to red, so he now changes up a gear and fly’s off, dragging the other half of my bumper behind him and once again leaving me behind. Now in the middle of the rush hour he reverses across a main traffic light junction.

So I say to him, what you going to do now? Err we’ll use the axle clamp…what you laughing at? :laughing: :laughing: axle clamp, I said, why didn’t you use that in the first place? Didn’t need it, he said, I’ve done this hundreds of times. :confused: :confused:

Ray

And can I just thank ‘Diesel Dave’ for patrolling the Old Time Lorries thread for all these years and I think that he only ever had one complaint from Dave Docra, many years ago.

CAN ADMINS ON THIS FORUM DO A BETTER JOB OF MONITORING WHO IS ALLOWED IN HERE PLEASE?!
WE HAVE A NEW MEMBER, AN ELDERLY WOMAN. SHE’S BEEN PRIVATELY MESSAGING PEOPLE, SENDING THEM NAKED PICTURES OF HERSELF IN NASTY POSES ALONG WITH CLOSE UPS OF HER UNMENTIONABLES.
SHE IS OFFERING AN IPHONE 11 IN EXCHANGE FOR ■■■■■■ FAVORS. I AM ESPECIALLY BOTHERED BECAUSE IT TURNED OUT TO BE AN IPHONE 6 AND OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING’S WRONG WITH IT. IT’S SUPER SLOW AND THE CAPS LOCK WON’T TURN OFF. :laughing:

DON’T WORRY MMM, I’M ON TO THE CASE AS A UNDERCOVER POSTER. SHE HASN’T CAUGHT ON YET I’M A MOD :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

mushroomman:

Hi,

Ray

DON’T WORRY MMM, I’M ON TO THE CASE AS A UNDERCOVER POSTER. SHE HASN’T CAUGHT ON YET I’M A MOD :wink:

^^^ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

On the subject of comradere, I was southbound on the Matilda Highway, in the geographic centre of nowhere, when I stopped for a fellow who was bogged in sand.
The bloke had a delivery to a cattle property and left his back two trailers parellell to the fence line, a couple of hundred feet from the road, rather than take a triple the forty odd kilometers up the driveway.
I arrived on the scene after he’d made up his train, to discover he lacked the traction to extract himself.
Fortunately, I only had two trailers on. I needed to blindside into the driveway, then kick my trailers to the right. Being fridge vans limited my vision as to where the back trailer was heading, so I expected a couple of shunts, to improve my view.
I totally fluked perfect placement in a single manoeuvre. With a chain from my Ring Feeder to his bullbar, I pulled the truck twenty feet, to where he could get traction on the gravel driveway.
As we disconnected, he thanked me for my help and complemented me on my reversing skill.
I accepted the accolade, not wanting to boast of my greatest skill, pure arse. :laughing:

This story relates to a series of incidents that happened back in 2009 when a multitude of British lorry drivers were trying their luck with Big Freight. a Canadian trucking company based in Steinbach, Manitoba.
Pete Young was a thirty-something from Yorkshire with a sound background in road transport, courtesy of Ernest Thorpe. Two years into his North American adventure, he had loaded big square bales of straw in Western Manitoba and was headed to Hereford, Texas, a town famous for the fattening of cattle and the associated smell.
Crossing the border into the US, at Dunsieth, North Dakota, Pete encountered the first obstacle that was to soon escalate events to change his life. All British truck drivers needed a visa waiver, called an I94, to enter the US. It was valid for 90 days and good for multiple border crossings. Pete’s I94 expired in three days so he asked for a new one at Dunsieth, knowing that his trip to Texas would leave him in the US with out-of-date paperwork. The customs officer refused to renew the I94, siting that he was too busy and Pete would be “OK.” Truth be told, the officer probably couldn’t be bothered to do the paperwork or didn’t know how to process an I94. Company policy dictated that drivers did not argue with customs officials, so Pete continued on his way South buoyed by the knowledge that no-one had ever asked to see his I94, ever, while he was in the US.
Hooking up with another two Big Freight trucks, Pete had an uneventful run down to Hereford. All three unloaded at a custom feed lot and parked-up at the town’s Valero truck stop to wait for reload instructions. It was good miles to Texas, but the Yorkie thought he had hit the jackpot when he received the details of his trip back to Canada. Bentonite from the Cowboy Mining Company, south of Alpine, Texas, to Montreal. One thousand three hundred and fifty miles already, over 400 empty, down to Alpine; 2200 up to Montreal, that was nearly 4000 without the run back across Canada to Steinbach. Pete set of on the day-long empty running with dollar signs flickering in his head.
The address given for the Cowboy Mining Company was a post box number in Alpine, when in fact the mine was just north of Teringua, a town in the BIg Bend area, just across the Rio Grande from Mexico. All new roads for Pete and despite the wrong address he was loaded, tarped and on his way before lunch. However, his luck ran out before he had got back to Alpine. US Customs and Border Patrol had a checkpoint on every road leading from the Mexican border, usually within 30 miles. Texas Highway 118 was no different and Pete was stopped. These checkpoints are there to catch illegal immigrants that come across from Mexico but on a slow day, they were not about to pass up the chance of an arrest when they found a Brit with an out of date I94, even if it was just two days. They sent for prisoner transport and Pete was transferred to the nearest detention centre at El Paso. He managed to send a message to his despatcher before going to jail. After leaving home on a Monday morning, it was now Friday night.
The Big Freight reaction to one of their British drivers breaking US immigration laws and being incarcerated was to wash their hands of him completely. Good relations with US Customs was paramount and they didn’t want to stir the pot by going into bat for a driver who would be no use to them if they did extract him from his predicament. Pete would never enter the US again and was to be extradited to the UK with Big Freight’s blessing. They left him to rot in solitary confinement; something Pete had asked for after seeing other cell mates. The only light on his horizon was his recently acquired girlfriend, Carrie.
My first involvement in this saga came on the following Monday while awaiting for reload instructions at a truckstop near Trois Rivieres in Quebec. Satellite message: Would I fly from Montreal to El Paso and recover a Big Freight truck? I hate flying but was always up for something a little bit different so phoned Chad the despatcher. When I heard that a good mate was in trouble, I accepted the job but was given scant details and not aware of the company’s stance in regards to Pete.
I left my truck and trailer at the Big Freight Montreal drop yard, packed a carry-on bag, walked to the airport and flew to El Paso via Philadelphia and Phoenix, arriving late afternoon. That night in the hotel, on the Internet, I was in touch with Bobthedog, a fellow Brit from Steinbach; he implored me to take some US dollars to Pete for phone calls and other stuff. Bob and Carrie were trying to arrange a lawyer and explained what Big Freight were doing or not doing which explained my instructions to just bring back the truck.
Mates don’t let mates rot in jail, so early the next morning I took a taxi to the detention centre. Entry was a run-around but I after being constantly being asked if I was his lawyer; I told the white lie that I was Pete’s union representative and flashed my old T & G card which I still had in my lap top case. Pete was on his fifth day and surprised to see me; I slipped $120 through the glass and we had 45 minutes to chat. One thing he did mention was that there was a supervisor who was quite sympathetic and some of the staff thought he shouldn’t be there at all. It was all a bit emotional but after the visit I went back to the reception and worked my way up through the officials. Pete’s case handler was looking forward to a trip to the UK when he repatriated his man; so not much help there. His supervisor, however, was much more cooperative. He agreed that Pete was not what the detention centre was built for and even telephoned the prison governor when I said I wanted to put my case to him. Much to my astonishment, over the phone, the governor agreed to release Pete into my custody if I would take him directly back to Canada!
Just a few minor details to take care of first. Pete needed a new I94 and to get that he needed a letter from Big Freight stating he was a valued employee and upstanding member of the community in Steinbach. I phoned Big Freight and was put through to the woman who dealt with insurance claims. I explained every thing and was met with,
“Who gave you permission to visit him in jail?”
After that, I knew I was banging my head against a brick wall. She sited “Data protection” and a host of stuff as to why she wouldn’t send the fax. The friendly supervisor was well into processing Pete’s release and astounded the company would try and block it. Going above and beyond what could be expected, he phoned the horrid insurance woman and after twenty minutes, talked her into sending Pete’s precious data. The supervisor escorted us to the gate where I thanked him profusely with Pete still a bit bewildered how he was now free. We took a taxi down to the Rio Grande border crossing, they knew we were coming and an I94 ws no problem. That night we booked into a posh hotel near the Greyhound bus station and had a little celebration.
The bus ride from El Paso to Alpine would have been plain sailing if not for the DoT vehicle check we were pulled in for. At Stockton, we missed the connection to Alpine and were left in a deserted dust bowl with a one-bus -a- day schedule. Pete was on an emotional roller-coaster and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere had him rock bottom. Wandering around, asking about taxis, I happened upon Richie who offered a ride to Alpine for a dollar a mile and a tank of fuel. Ninety bucks and we loaded up his Nissan Patrol with high hopes of getting up and running in the Big Freight Volvo that night. Richie Sheehan was not however, your normal, helpful, unemployed guy who saw the chance of quick buck. Richie told us he was out on parole after being set up on some drug smuggling enterprise. all along the route he pointed out pick-up points from his mules and told tales of his coyotes bring across Hondurans in middle of the night and how they navigated the desert by the newly installed cell towers. Pete sat in the back and I could see by the way he rolled his eyes that he was not impressed by my recruit who said it was part of his parole conditions that he should not go near the border.
We went to the Customs and Border Patrol compound expecting to find the truck. Our driver followed us in the office and was immediately met with,
“Hey, you’re Richie Sheehan, what are you doing here?”
So his stories were true and the truck was at a nearby tow company yard. I paid our driver, shook his hand and thanked him. It was a bit of a shock that I had to pay for the towing and storage on my creditcard: $650, but we made it to a local Flying"J that night. Pete scaled the truck in the morning and we had to hand-ball twenty bags of bentonite from front to back; nothing easy on this trip. There was only one bed in the Volvo so we took turns, sleeping and driving, reaching Montreal on the Monday morning and delivering to a customer who had no idea of what it took to get that load to them.

After shocks to this little adventure:
Pete was so enamored with Carrie’s efforts to free him that they were married within a couple of months.
Pete stayed at Big Freight for another year before becoming an owner operator at a local flat deck haulier.
At least five British drivers were so disgusted by the company’s attitude that they left almost immediately; I stayed for about a year after that.
The horrid insurance woman kept well out of my way however several years later we came face to face in the frozen food aisle of the local supermarket. She just had a basket and I had a big trolley; I could see the fear in her eyes but I let it go and just said “Hello” as we passed.

What an absolutely brilliant story Chris, thanks for taking the time to write it out and for sharing it with us. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have spent all morning reading your story twice and then looking on Google Earth to see what those places, that I have never heard of before, look like.

I remember several of you ex Brits moving over to Canada years ago and I often wondered how it had all turned out for you. I have tried looking for the Big Freight depot in Steinbach, I have eventually found it on Clearsprings Road.

If anybody who has just read your story looks on Google Earth to see those cattle feeding yards in Hereford, Texas where Pete was tipping, then I think that they will get quite a surprise like I did. I never realised that there were places as big as that just for fattening up cattle.

I wondered why that Ghost Town near Terlingua looked somewhat familiar. It was because the scenery around that area was used in the film ‘No Country For Old Men’, starring Tommy Lee Jones. If you haven’t seen it yet Chris, then I think that you might enjoy it. If you have seen it, then it sounds like that character ‘Richie Sheehan’ could have been an extra in the film. :unamused:

Once again, thanks for posting it and I hope that Bob The Dog, Pat the Plastic Bag and yourself are all O.K. :slight_smile:

Yes indeed, as MRM says, a great story Chris, and it aptly describes the horrors which can be faced alone in a foreign country with no apparent help coming from any direction. Pete couldn’t even kick up a fuss as an ‘illegal’ immigrant. Something I had in mind only yesterday when I was asked to leave ID in order to go to get money to pay a bill. Not understanding why, I handed over my driving licence but then told them I couldn’t go to the cash point without it because it is illegal to drive in France without having a licence with you at all times. Many French don’t bother but I had to remind them that, as a foreigner, I had to act according to the law at all times. Since Brexit, and therefore no longer a European Union citizen, I can be deported leaving house, home and wife for any such infringment. Not saying I would be of course, but the price of non compliance is too high to risk it.

The only saving grace he had that he might not have had in Europe and Asia is that there wasn’t the added problem of language difficulty. Well, not completely anyway. :wink: :smiley:

The names of the innocent have been changed, also the statute of limitations has not run out. I was present at the start of this story and the blanks were filled in at a later date by one of the survivors. Sitting round a campfire in the Arizona desert: this is how it all started.

“It’s as easy as walking round, picking up $100 bills.”

“Never had much luck with get-rich-quick schemes,” replied Kevin, “what kind of a dinosaur is a megalodon anyway?”

“Big dead shark, teeth the size of your hand, biggest fish the World has ever seen.”

Kevin should have felt safe; Arizona had no coastline. They were camped in the Sonoran desert but Rufus was a little bit sketchy and his proposition was bordering on illegal. The big problem for Kevin and Gabby was that funds were running low, they had under estimated the cost of touring the World in an ex-British Army 4x4 truck; they needed an income more than their online t-shirt shop and their Youtube channel could provide.

Gabby and Kevin were nearly six months into the adventure of a lifetime. That’s if you don’t count the two years building their overland expedition truck from a 1993 Leyland Daf T244 four tonner. The chassis cab had been cheap enough but building the living area and equipping the vehicle had eaten into their savings. The cost of shipping it to North America was reasonable but driving from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Fairbanks, Alaska, and then South to the Mexican border had made a huge dent in the running money.

The vast distances and expensive diesel fuel of Canada had been underestimated. The permanent four-wheel drive of the Leyland Daf gave horrific fuel mileage. Wild camping where ever they could had helped. They tried to avoid tourist traps and admission fees; paying out for just fuel and food but now the trip was stalled in the desert. They were at the crossroads of the trip. Central America and then South America lay ahead but the money was running out.

The BLM [Bureau of Land Management] land around the town of Quartzsite has been a magnet for recreational vehicles for a long time. Snowbirds from Canada, nomads from all over the States flock to Quartzsite in their thousands. For little or no charge the desert becomes the winter base for motor homes, travel trailers, 5th wheelers even tents. A community practicing economical living, that suited Gabby and Kevin just fine. They may have had the only UK registered Leyland Daf in the county but they had a lot in common with their neighbours.

Missy and Rufus had also built their own RV. A thirty year old re-purposed fire truck; lime green and white with chrome. A 4x4 overland expedition vehicle; one big and tough truck, the same as my Mack but an International. They were from Idaho, just wintering in the South-West, their second year of working just the summer. Missy would go back to waiting tables at her family’s restaurant; Rufus would try get back to dry-walling with his brother. Rufus didn’t relish the return to hard manual labour. Selling megalodon teeth on E-bay for a hundred bucks each was something he awaited with pleasure.

As the six travelers sat around a ring of stones, a small pallet wood fire flickered enough light to see the passing joint. Conversation was about the finer details of tooth extraction from Mexico.

“Technically it is illegal. Yes. But they turn a blind eye; they’re more interested in whole dinosaur skeletons and ancient man-made artifacts than old shark teeth that once were on the Pacific Ocean floor.”

“But how did these teeth end up in the Baja?”

“San Andreas fault, earthquakes and the clash of continents. What was seabed millions of years ago is now high and dry.”

“Who buys the ■■■■ things? Where’s the market?”

“Kids worldwide. Awesome thing to have when you are ten years old. A sixty million year old shark tooth that is massive.”

Cheryl and I were skeptical and Gabby was reluctant to commit to the scheme but Kevin persuaded her with a few more relevant points.

“ We have to get out of the US soon. Our B2 visas only give us six months. I know Baja California is not really on the way to Belize but I think it would be good to get some spending money together while we have the chance. We can sell on E-bay. We got Pay-pal. A little bit of poking around in the desert can’t do much harm?”

Next morning, we all went into town and wandered around the endless gem and mineral stalls that are an ever present feature of Quartzsite. We found a vendor with shark teeth for sale and Rufus bought a small megalodon chomper so everyone would know what they were searching for down in Mexico. Rufus wanted the six of us in the three trucks to do the trip but under Cheryl’s firm belief that it would all end in tears; we left it to the younger couples who had much more in common. Both guys were ex-army and had served in Afghanistan; although Rufus, the typical American, mentioned it at every opportunity and Kevin, ex- British squaddie, hardly ever. It is not often that I dip out from a chance of adventure but only time would tell if I was acting wisely.

There was a little bit of paper work to do before entry into Mexico but it was all available on the Internet. Tourist visas cost 538 pesos and lasted for 6 months. Vehicle insurance was mandatory but turned out to be cheap; $120 for thirty days, $125 for 6 months. Just how good the insurance was and what it covered was debatable. Gabby and Kevin went for the 180 days. They planned to continue on to Belize and had to also complete the formalities for a TIP, Temporary Importation Permit; normally a $400 re-fundable deposit to discourage travelers from selling their vehicle and leaving Mexico without it but free for motorhomes and valid for 10 years. Rufus and Melissa purchased 30 days insurance but did not bother with the TIP as Baja California enjoyed an exemption from the bureaucracy.

There were several options for crossing the border; none promised a quick easy passage but Calexico, crossing to Mexicali, looked simplest. Kevin and Missy led the way in the International, westbound on Interstate 8 from Yuma after south on Highway 95, then south on Highway 7. The Leyland Daf struggled to keep-up but was only a few cars behind as they joined the end of the line-up for the border. RVs filtered right and each took a lot longer and the cars in the other lines. The vehicle examination was more of a guided tour for the Mexican customs officer, every cabinet inside and every storage box opened but not rummaged through with any thoroughness. An hour later the pair of trucks were heading south on Mex Hwy 5 heading for San Felipe and Pete’s Camp, the iconic first night halt for first-time new arrivals.

Parking just yards from the Sea of Cortez, palapas by their side the four set up camp and retired to the restaurant for a discussion about the final plans with a couple of wood-fired pizzas and some Tecate Light, the local brewery offering.

“We can dump and refill with fresh water here, there are a couple of supermarkets in town. How long can you guys stay off-grid in the Leyland Daf?”

“About seven days. Are we going to need any tools for this digging? We got a shovel.”

“ Yeah, we need a shovel each. So let’s say we leave tomorrow and expect to stay out there for a week.”

Lunch was at Cow Patty’s loncheria with an interesting conversation about shark jaws with proprietor and his only customer. Random memorabilia and an old school bus were incorporated into a structure held together by the stickers of numerous Baja 1000 racing teams. Next stop was Coco’s Corner, an iconic spot manned by an ex-army, double amputee in his eighties. Coco the army veteran who had established the dusty rest area/ campsite/ snack bar said that several customers had been lucky fossil hunting at the foot of local “mesas.” Mesa means table in Spanish. Geologically, a mesa was an outcrop of rock shaped like a mushroom; formed by erosion caused by wind and rain. If there was evidence of seashells surrounding a mesa then it was reasonable to assume that it was once under the ocean. Find sea shells- find shark teeth.

From Coco’s establishment, a single lane track wound among the hills before dropping into a gorge. It was dry but obviously a water course when it rained. There were no tyre tracks to follow as the two trucks picked their way from side to side; trying to keep out of soft sand and the ruts caused by descending streams of water. Easier for the Leyland Daf than the International with its lower ground clearance and long rear overhang. In fact Kevin drove with a smile on his face; the Leyland Daf was now doing what it was built to do. Rufus was muttering an endless stream of expletives as the back end of the International constantly grounded on the stony track. Missy’s white-knuckled grip kept the dashboard in place while Gabby nonchalantly checked her cellphone for a signal.

Eventually the gorge widened into a flat dry riverbed, several more gorges entered the main watershed at the same spot. The Sea of Cortez was still out of sight but looking downstream; there were several mesas and they were in logical places to start digging. The women wanted to set-up camp first; level the trucks, open the awnings, bring out chairs and tables. The men grabbed their shovels and attacked a mesa without even bothering to close the driver’s door of their trucks. By evening they were hot, sweaty with blistered hands and toothless. Twenty-four hours later it was the same story except everyone had now worn gloves. The four had spread out; a mesa each. They found plenty of regular sized shark teeth and shards of whale bone but megaladon teeth had proved elusive.

It wasn’t as easy as picking-up banknotes from the pavement. Maybe they were in the wrong place. Conversation over dinner centred on whether to move on or dig deeper where they were. They decided to break camp in the morning and head for the Pacific coast. They were unaware of the storm coming in from the ocean.

A distant thunder roll was the first indication, then the white light flashes reflecting in the open roof hatch over the bed in the Leyland Daf. It was well past midnight when the first raindrops forced Kevin to close it. Within an hour, there was no time-lag between lightning flash and thunderclap. In such a deluge, it is a time when all campers in vehicles feel sorry for campers in tents and celebrate their choice of accommodation and the safety it affords with a dry comfortable bed.

All that changed as a flash flood roared down the canyons and gorges; uniting in the riverbed. There was a sharp jolt in the Leyland Daf as the stony soil beneath the back wheels of the vehicle was washed away. Kevin dressed quickly, climbed through the small hatch into the cab of the truck and fired-up the motor. The wipers did little to clear the relentless rain; the headlights just showed a raging torrent rushing past but the lightning lit up the scene just long enough for him to see a path to safety. The truck had started drifting sideways by the time Kevin had engaged the differential locks and low ratio in the gearbox. He turned upstream, edging over to higher ground and the cover behind one of the mesas; rocks and debris clunking against the front bumper. It was impossible to get completely out of the water and the current still swirled around them but they were on firmer ground and felt safe.

The same could not be said about Missy and Rufus. The International had no pass-through from the living area into the cab. Water was beating against the back door with such pressure that it was impossible to open. They had no skylight or roof hatch; they were imprisoned and at the mercy of the wall of water that began moving them downstream. At nearly twelve tonnes, the truck was too heavy to go with the flow but turned sideways and listed heavily; resting against a large boulder as the dirty brown water washed over it and slowly found every crack and gap. Slowly filling the interior.

Rufus delayed smashing a window and climbing onto the roof of the truck. A wise move as the water didn’t come up to the top of the dining table before if slowly receded. By dawn there was just a thin coating of silt and slime on the surfaces that had been underwater. Outside the flow of water had nearly stopped with just a trickle from puddle to puddle.

Kevin ventured out to find no damage to the Leyland Daf. He quickly fired-up the motor and eased the truck onto higher ground. It wasn’t so simple with the International; it was half buried on one side with a lot of sizable rocks that needed moving before it could be extracted. Luckily they had four shovels with them. They would level the ground behind the truck, dig away the soil at each side and reverse out, with the help of the Leyland Daf if necessary. Gabby cooked breakfast while the others washed out the interior of the American and after the meal they all got down to digging. It was a morning of slipping and sliding, getting down and getting dirty and barefoot was the way to go.

“Is this what we’ve been looking for?” said Missy casually holding a shark tooth that completely covered her hand.

“Well bugger me, two days looking and now we get one when we’re not!” exclaimed Kevin just as Gabby reached down and picked up an even bigger one.

Megalodon’s had 276 teeth that fell out and replaced themselves on a regular basis. Finding two so close together gave the diggers hope that they might have stumbled on the remains of a dead meg that had been unearthed by the flash flood. They dug with renewed vigour but only found two more before Kevin ran out his winch cable to the back of the International. The ground was still sticky but they managed to pull the stuck truck onto an even keel. It would be days before the river-bed had dried enough for the trucks to retrace their steps back to Coco’s Corner. But the sun shone and spirits were high; no damage was done. The stainless steel bodywork of the old fire truck was top quality engineering. Silt was everywhere but nothing a high pressure washer couldn’t return to pristine.

Two days of searching the newly eroded deposits around the mesas brought a steady stream of megalodon teeth; some broken, some of excellent condition and size. Enough to make the expedition a success; well into double figures and a four figure payday, each. The last night was party night. Rufus brought out a bottle of Patron Silver, the salt and the lemon. It didn’t last long as they drank while laying out the complete collection of teeth. Rufus tossed a coin for first choice and they alternately picked their share. Biggest and best down to smallest and roughest.

The guys decided to walk the course before tackling the road out. A good choice as there had been plenty of erosion by the storm. They handballed rocks into the worst of the ruts; taking all morning to get it all level as the women packed up the vehicles in their absence. On the way back down, Kevin saw the bright blue corner of a plastic oil drum laying on the riverbed. Always one to leave a place cleaner than he found it, Kevin went over and kicked at the plastic; bending over he found it was more than a broken piece, it was a whole buried drum. He jabbed the shovel through the lid, shattering the brittle plastic. Kevin dropped to his knees.

“Look at this, Rufus, come here and look at this.”

The Englishman and the American stood staring at the cling-film wrapped bundles of dollar bills that filled the oil drum.

“Cartel drug money,” muttered Rufus.

“Fill your boots,” grinned Kevin.

The guys went back to the trucks and returned with the women and as many empty bags as they could muster; back-packs, sports bags, bicycle panniers all quickly filled with cash that seemed to be all in the $20 denomination. They re-buried the drum; pulled up a pair of sage bushes, pulling them behind as they tried to mask their footprints as they went back to the vehicles. A quick count revealed about $3,000,000, stashing that amount in the trucks proved more difficult. Kevin was anxious to get going, his military training reminded him of his vulnerability; wide open position in enemy territory, they needed a safe haven and quickly.

The Brits fancied Belize although the Americans preferred to return to the US; reasoning that home turf would be safer than a tropical jungle state. After some discussion, they decided to stick together; the trucks struggled up the loose surfaced track, then hit the newly paved Highway 5; turning South, heading for La Paz and the ferry to mainland Mexico. They hadn’t noticed anybody watching them, the whole time they had been off-road, but crucially, they had not noticed the game camera attached to a Saguaro cactus that overlooked the burial site.

To be continued…

Crack on with it Chris, I can’t wait for the next episode, thanks for sharing it with us. :smiley:

very good next episode please.

I know a big chuck of print is difficult on a cellphone so I’ll excuse anyone scrolling by. You need a I-pad or laptop; writing this on a lappy certainly makes it possible for me. Back to the story.

When it came to hiding the cash in the Leyland Daf and the International; the drivers chose the classic, tried and tested hiding place: inside the spare wheel. The overland expedition trucks carried two spares, mounted on a purpose built racks across the back of the living quarters and they were raised and lowered by their own electric winches. One tyre full on banknotes still left a usable one full of air. The two trucks headed south and searched for an isolated spot away from Highway 1; a beach at the end of a rough dirt road where they could work in peace seemed ideal.

If you have a flat tyre on a busy highway; no one stops to help. Start messing about with a spare wheel in the middle of nowhere and somebody will rock-up and offer to help. With the job finished on the American truck, Kevin had just dropped down one of his spares and deflated the tyre when a German registered MAN TGM13-290 appeared over the horizon and made a bee-line for the Leyland Daf. Gunther jumped down, offered his hand and free advice on tyre inflation.

“All fixed, just need to air it up,” lied Kevin, “ Gabby, fetch a some of beers for our European friends.”

“ You have air-line? No. I have air-line.” gushed Gunther.

Kevin had met this sort before; ultra friendly, ultra helpful and they always assumed you knew nothing. He had learned the hard way; don’t argue, let them have free rein and don’t make it into a competition. Kevin let Gunther pump-up the tyre and helped him re-install it on the back of the Leyland Daf. After an evening of German hospitality; Rufus and Missy, Gabby and Kevin knew the life story and all about the world-tour of Petra and Gunther. It was past midnight before they were in bed, alone together for the first time since the Germans arrived.

“What the hell are we going to do with the money now?” asked Gabby.

“ Christ knows. Just wait until they bugger off and try again, I suppose.”

“But they know we are heading for the ferry at La Paz and so are they. What if they want to tag along?”

“That could be to our advantage; let them lead the way. Safety in numbers and all that. Just got to find another place for the money.”

Gabby and Kevin spent most of the night stuffing the mattress with banknotes after carefully cutting out sections of memory foam. They soon found out they would never again have a comfortable nights rest.

The tourist trap of Cabo San Lucas was the next stop. The two couples visited multiple banks and cambio [money changing] establishments in the port town at the most southern point of Baja California. Every time they changed $1000, cash, into pesos; everytime they came out and told Gunther their credit cards had been refused. Soon they had enough Mexican money for the ferry, fuel and food for the rest of the time in the country. A quick trip on a lancha [launch] out to the photogenic natural arch and the three trucks headed to La Paz and the ferry to Mazatlan.

Rufus was lucky that the Banjercito office at Pichilinque could issue a Temporary Import Permit for the International and their luck held as all three were loaded on that nights crossing although none were able to secure a cabin. It was a smooth crossing of the Sea of Cortez but no one slept well in their reclining chairs. No one would have slept at all if they knew what a close shave they had avoided at the ferry port.

Within hours of leaving their shark tooth campsite; a black Cadillac Escalade of the Tijauna drug cartel pulled in to check the game camera. It was stop 3 of a five stop tour; they changed the SD card and battery, then left. Back at base, inspection of the SD cards gave clear evidence of unusual activity. Arellano-Felix quickly ordered a return visit to the site and a check on the buried barrels revealed one was empty. They knew exactly what they were seeking; an International on Idaho plates and a weird looking cab-over. The Escalade called in at Coco’s Corner and the old man was wise enough to volunteer the information that they had turned South on Highway 5. The cartel assumed the trucks would be heading back to the USA but issued instructions that all their operatives in the Baja were to search for the thieves. Information came back that they had been sighted in Cabo but by the time they came to the conclusion that three vehicles were headed to the mainland, it was too late. Two heavily armed pick-up trucks raced across from Cabo; reaching the ferry port gates just as the Baja Star pulled away from the jetty.

Last on - first off; the unloading order of the stern-door-only roll-on roll-off Baja Star. The three trucks quickly disembarked and headed South on the D15 toll road to Tepic before taking the torturous Highway 200 to a night’s stop at Bucerias, just north of Puerto Vallarta. They were now in the territory of the Sinaloa cartel, deadly enemies of those from Tijuana. Their biggest enemy was the Topes, the ever present speed bumps that brought the speed down to walking pace at the entrance to every village or town or sometimes in the middle of nowhere for no reason at all. Missing a tope meant broken crockery for a motorhome. Letting Gunther and Petra lead the way, eased the worry for the others. Also, having the MAN at the front of the convoy meant that the Germans were first at every military and police checkpoint. The soldiers and police were always friendly and polite, usually inquisitive about departure point and destination with a curiosity about the trucks rather than searching for forbidden stuff.

Gunther and Petra were following the Pan-American Highway and had started in Alaska, similar to Kevin and gabby in the Leyland Daf. Money was not a problem for them and the suggestion of a side trip to Belize was eagerly accepted. Although Gunther could be overbearing; Petra bonded well with the Gabby and Missy, the first female company she had had for months. The Germans were surprised at the others’ generosity; always buying the beers and paying the restaurant bills but it was only payback for the pathfinding and deflecting suspicion. The little convoy stuck to the coastal Highway 200, leaving the turf of the Sinaloa cartel, through Michoacán cartel territory, skirting Acapulco and on into the Province of Oaxaca. Overnight stays were in beachside campgrounds recommended by the iOverlander app on their phones. Cheap places at 200 pesos per vehicle and the best of these was the Don Taco Overlander Camp at San Agustin Bay near Huatulco. Here, a couple from Holland had built an oasis of calm, security and cleanliness that people found difficult to leave. There was just room enough for the three trucks to fit inside the gates.

They stayed a week with the women going to town by taxi for groceries. With the trucks tucked away down a thirteen kilometre dirt road; it was if they had disappeared off the face of the Earth. The Tijauna cartel did not have clue, they thought the Mexico/US border was favorite and staked out as many crossing as possible. The loathing between the cartels made cooperation impossible, plus Tijauna did not want it known how they had been ripped-off. But eventually the six had to leave the idyllic beach where turtles came to nest and hatchlings ran off into the ocean under the moonlight. With warnings of the Ventosa, the high winds that rip across from the Caribbean to the Pacific, the trucks set off for Pelanque. A touristy thing to do but impressive Mayan ruins, the largest in Mexico. Now they were in Chiapas, the most lawless of Mexican states, but here it was not the cartels to watch for but gangs of young men forming barricades across the roads and extracting unofficial tolls. A length of wood with nails hammered through, laid across the road with a rope at either end was encountered. Gunther was adamant he would not pay this highway robbery but after some discussion the toll was found to be 20 pesos per vehicle; only $3 for all of them. This happened a couple of times as they made their way to Chetumal and the border crossing into Belize.

Gunther and Petra spoke good Spanish, the other four were looking forward to speaking English again and Kevin who had served with the British army in Belize would show them around. Border formalities were pretty straight forward with just the fumigation of the vehicles being unusual. Now out of Mexico and in a British Commonwealth country; Kevin felt safe but little did he know that the Tijauna cartel had strong ties with Belize and a message of their arrival was soon on it’s way to Arellano-Felix.

Chris "road trip RAMATUELLE £39.70, paperback.Amazon.

Just another day in the boring lives of truck drivers, eh Chris?

Loving it, keep it coming. :wink: :smiley:

Two of the Arellano-Felix brothers and two henchmen arrived, early afternoon, on the half hour flight over from Cancun; after leaving Tijuana in the early morning. On the descent into Belize International Airport, if they had known where to look, they could have seen the Leyland Daf and International trucks parked at the adjacent Price Barracks. Named after former Prime Minister George Cadle Price, the barracks was home to the British Army jungle training unit that also doubled as the Belize Defence Force. The Welsh Guards were in residence and the Lieutenant-Colonel, senior officer, was a good friend of Kevin. They had served together in Afghanistan, when both had the rank of captain. Several others at the base also knew Kevin from their posting in Helmond.

Gunther and Petra had decided to split from the others and head for the coast at Sartenja; promising to meet-up again along the Pan-American Highway. The four with the money headed to the army base and were welcomed like long-lost family; at last they felt safe although that was far from being true. Belize City was gangland and the top two were the Crips and the Bloods. Gangs with their heritage back in Los Angeles. Since the 1980’s Belize has had a lot of emigration to the USA combined with a lot of citizens returning; bringing with them the gang culture of Los Angeles. This strong link is what had alerted the cartel to the whereabouts of their prey. The Crips were comfortable about helping the cartel but apprehensive of locking horns with the Welsh Guards. The gang ran most of the prostitution in Belize City and the British army was their best customer. They recommended surveillance with the brothers getting their money back somewhere else.

The Army had access to about 5000 square miles of jungle terrain for training, some of which was harsh, so of which was picturesque with clearings by rivers with waterfalls. The commanding officer proposed a picnic for his guests; deep in the jungle for just those with an Afghan connection. Four trucks left Friday afternoon for a three day/two night training expedition with beer. The two MAN HX 60, the Leyland Daf and the International were discreetly followed by a Toyota HiLux pick-up, driven by two Crips gang members who quickly reported the composition and direction of the convoy. Within an hour, the Crips had mobilized twenty heavily armed gang members and six pick-up trucks; they headed out into the jungle too.

But in a small country of 400,000 people, not much goes unobserved and intel goes both ways. The police knew about their Mexican visitors and about who they came to see; although not knowing the reason as the cartel didn’t want the Crips to know there was three million dollars up for grabs. An inspector of the local police thought it was about time he spoke to the duty officer at the base; warning that their guests were in danger. The information was compounded a few minutes later when a friendly ■■■■■■ phoned her best client, the duty officer to warn him also. The Lieutenant-Colonel was already out of cell-tower range but acting on his own initiative; the young officer quickly had five MAN HX 60 ready to go with thirty squaddies; unimpressed that their weekend plans were in ruins.

The picnic party had set up camp at a swimming hole with nearby cascade; pork ribs were on the barbeque and the cold Belikin lager was flowing when the first of the gangster pick-ups crested the ridge above the camp. The soldiers were unarmed and the cartel were keen to wade in with all guns blazing; but the Crips knew they would have to live with the repercussions, they implored the cartel to enter into dialogue first. They still thought the Brit and Yank couples had run off with cartel product; not knowing it was cash. The gang spread out across the ridge and descended to the river. A quick blast of gunfire got the attention of the picnickers who were soon hog tied and arranged in a row.

The sound of an automatic fire galvanized the army; quickly on the scene they assumed the elevated position on the ridge looking down on the inquisition that was about to start.

To be continued.

The Last Part of the Story.

Five minutes into the stand-off, the local police arrived and tense negotiations began. The four Mexicans had poor English language skills and soon became sidelined. The Crips’ dire situation after being caught red-handed soon led them to sacrifice the cartel members to the police. With a typical British stiff upper lip mentality, the picnic continued into the night after the Mexicans were led away in handcuffs. The local gang members were given an amnesty; returning to Belize City with their armoury intact. The commanding officer had plenty of questions for Kevin and the situation strained their friendship. Eventually he recommended that it was better if the two overlanding couples did not return to base but took the road to Guatemala in the morning.

It was less than an hour to the border and the bridge across the Mopan River to Melchor de Mencos, Guatemala. They muddled through, helped by a lack of local traffic and a rough idea what was needed after checking iOverlander. Guatemalan quetzals from the money changer, temporary import permits from the customs office, 90 day visa from the Migration office and they were on their way; although the ninety days was to include time spent in the other C4 countries. Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua had an agreement making for restriction free travel between those countries but giving foreigners only ninety days. Bringing your own vehicle complicated border crossings and two hours was about the average time.

Meeting the MAN on the road just after the border had not been anticipated but was a welcome bonus for the women. Gunther suggested Belize had been humid and boring, just another stamp in the passport; all the others nodded in agreement and under the leadership of the confident German, they all set off for Tikal. The Mayan ruins had not been on the bucket list of Kevin and Rufus but they were soon as impressed as the others; climbing over the ancient pyramids and in awe of how it had all been put together. They camped in an adjacent field alongside a Swiss registered Iveco overlander. Now they were a convoy of four and the eight bonded among the sacrificial alters and ball courts.

The MAN and the Iveco took the initiative from there on; the Leyland Daf and the International hiding in plain sight with safety in numbers. Mayan ruins were a reoccurring theme as they crossed into Honduras and explored Copan Ruinas with it’s attendant flight of scarlet macaws. Honduras didn’t have much more to offer, soon they were in Nicaragua and on the ferry across to the island paradise of Ometepe with worries about the Tijuana cartel rarely on there mind. Indeed, the brothers and the henchmen never came back from the Belize Central Prison; suffering at the hands of the Bloods, the local gang aligned with the mighty Sinaloa Cartel, sworn enemies of Tijuana.

Costa Rica was expensive but that didn’t concern our flush travelers as much as the German and Swiss couples. Overlanding was expensive in big four wheel drive trucks, income was limited and outgoings were never ending. They pushed on to Panama, where Kevin and Rufus were surprised to find that the national currency was the balboa but American dollar was accepted absolutely everywhere. With three million dollars in cash, it would now be possible to live like kings. They researched the possibilities of of permanent residency and found Panama most welcoming. The quartet eventually split-up with the MAN and Iveco taking a ro-ro ferry to Colombia and continuing their journey to Ushuaia at the southern tip of Argentina. Rufus and Missy, Kevin and Gabby went to the town of Boquete, where the year round climate in the mountains was like an English Summer’s day. They rented villas, parked the trucks in a covered storage facility and kept a low profile amongst the big American ex-pat community. Slowly laundering their cartel dollars into their Panamanian bank accounts they soon had locally registered pick-up trucks and an idyllic lifestyle.

Kevin told me all this story when we met again about a year after our first encounter in the desert. I was riding my motorcycle two-up with Cheryl as my pillion on a tour of Central America. We too had discovered the high cost of overlanding in a big thirsty motorhome and were on a KTM 790 and staying in AirBnBs for half the price of touring in the Mack. It was at KM 59 on the tunnel road that I saw the Leyland Daf parked at a beachside bar. We were staying at the Surf Farm B&B, just north of El Zonte on El Salvador’s Pacific coastline. Kevin was with a pretty young Venezuelan woman who he had picked up while she was on a journey from her home country to a new life in the USA. One of many refugees making the dangerous crossing of the Darien Gap and heading north through central America.

Gabby had returned to Wales, totally stressed by the adventure, leaving Kevin alone and drinking too much with Rufus at their villas in Boquete. So what was he doing on the beach in El Salvador? Answer: Bitcoin!. The crypto currency was now legal tender in El Salvador and Kevin was exploring the possibilities of changing his Us dollars all into Bitcoin and getting back to the UK before converting back to good old Pounds sterling. Carrying all that cash about had become a burden but as I knew zero about crypto, I couldn’t help much. We sat about, mostly at the bar, where I heard this story as we watched surfers tackling the right hand break of this black sand beach. A week later Cheryl and I started out for home, leaving Kevin and Feleena as indecisive about their futures as when we arrived. Before we left he gave us a megalodon tooth.

That’s a ‘Ripping Yarn’ Chris, thanks for taking the time of writing it all down and for sharing it with us.

I always enjoy hearing about other people’s travelling stories and I certainly enjoyed that one. :smiley:

Thanks Chris, we need a like button.

images (32).jpeg

^
^
^

giphy.gif