Trucks are getting bigger

i’m not saying that they would make the ruts any worse. but they would wobble dangerously as the motorways are not suitable.

orys:
I heard that it was some trial of longer trailers in Germany, but it’s now cancelled.

It’s seems that it’s legal to drive in Poland with artic pulling small trailer, but apart of circus vehicles (which have other regulation) i never seen any.

There is currently an experiment in germany with longer but not heavier artics. There are currently 600 of them licenced, but the trial is for 6 years. Italy and Czech republic are expected to follow. This is their response to LHVs.

limeyphil:
i’m not saying that they would make the ruts any worse. but they would wobble dangerously as the motorways are not suitable.

So why would they wobble dangerously, A B train runs on a 5th wheel located above a (usually) tri axle bogie, what’s to wobble there mate?

Even if they use an A frame dolly it still won’t wobble dangerously, an A frame wagon & drag doesn’t wobble, just go to Germany, they got 1000s of them & they wouldn’t allow dangerous wobbles for one minute, the Italians belt around at 80mph with them & they load em until they’re full.

In short, I think you have no idea what you’re talking about mate :unamused:

Whether it is a ■■■■■ extension for Stan Robinson or ■■■■ Denby or not. The fact is that the ruts in the roads would not be made significantly worse by LHV as the weights are still spread out through the axles, in fact there are 8 axles on ■■■■ Denbys rig and 11 on Stan Robinsons.

I think the more common use of supersingles has contributed to the ruts in the road surface as the footprint is smaller yet carrying more weight than the old 1000 x 20 D20 twins did in 1972.

Running a pair of these with double deck trailers could save a hell of a lot of fuel and time. I doubt that jobs will be lost because they still need drivers at the depots to deliver the loads on a smaller vehicle

toowise:
Thats the usual completely biased report,

lorries thundering through villages, dozens parked everywhere, juggernauts.

Can i suggest that being your local paper you should write to the editor explaining in a polite manner our side of the story, perhaps (just perhaps) the letter will be printed on the letters page and some of the aggreived locals may then understand the problems facing this industry.

I wouldn’t hold your breath though.

This is an example why we need a positive PR exercise and get at least some of the public on our side

Did you actually read all the article, in my opinion it was leaning very much to the plight of the truckers.

it said that on the whole the drivers where proffessional having to cope with poor infrastructure and faccilities in an area that has been developed for distribution, not once did it lay any blame on the drivers.

Wheel Nut:
Whether it is a ■■■■■ extension for Stan Robinson or ■■■■ Denby or not. The fact is that the ruts in the roads would not be made significantly worse by LHV as the weights are still spread out through the axles, in fact there are 8 axles on ■■■■ Denbys rig and 11 on Stan Robinsons.

I think the more common use of supersingles has contributed to the ruts in the road surface as the footprint is smaller yet carrying more weight than the old 1000 x 20 D20 twins did in 1972.

Running a pair of these with double deck trailers could save a hell of a lot of fuel and time. I doubt that jobs will be lost because they still need drivers at the depots to deliver the loads on a smaller vehicle

Im not too sure whether its a ■■■■s ■■■■ situation, I know it would make very good business sense for Stan Robbo to have these rigs, he does nightly trunks to and from his depots, and it would make the cost saving to good to miss, Stafford - Devon - Stafford, cutting out a trailer per night, the driver would get more pay, it would pay for itself PDQ, and the tree huggers would be confused :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I`m notsure whether it would work in Lincoln though, or is DD looking to profit from the idea, by selling the concept on ■■?

Just so you all know, the government report on LHV’s was released this morning…

And the idea has been rejected… so they wont be seen on our roads anytime soon.

Rikki-UK:

wired-gov.net/wg/wg-news-1.nsf/lfi/161555

Rikki-UK:

Oh well back to the drawing board ■■■■ :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe he can go higher & wider and run convoi exceptional with his trailers :smiley:

super-lorries could lead to an increase in CO2 emissions due to goods shifting from rail to road,

This government is really acting like Winston Smiths Big Brother :cry:

Who gives a stuff about the railways?
Oh i just answered my own question :stuck_out_tongue:

They do not work, they are inneficient.

milodon:

truckyboy:
Sweden have had them for years, but theyre not allowed out of the country

theyre allowed in finland, russia and latvia too

I used to see a Swedish road-train regularly getting off the Stena boat in Kiel Germany when i used to go there, 1999-2001

As someone on another site that I visit said: There wouldn’t be enough room between roadworks for b doubles. :unamused:

I think the report basically admits that they know the road networks are a shambles and are unsuitable as they stand.

They wont spend money on upgrading, so the British industry is left with absolutely no chance for innovation or development!

Tyrone:

limeyphil:

So why would they wobble dangerously, A B train runs on a 5th wheel located above a (usually) tri axle bogie, what’s to wobble there mate?

Even if they use an A frame dolly it still won’t wobble dangerously, an A frame wagon & drag doesn’t wobble, just go to Germany, they got 1000s of them & they wouldn’t allow dangerous wobbles for one minute, the Italians belt around at 80mph with them & they load em until they’re full.

In short, I think you have no idea what you’re talking about mate :unamused:

i was refering to an a-frame dolly, i’m afraid i didn’t make my self very clear. the a-frame dollys do wobble about quite a bit when they get in the motorway ruts. however if the motorways were designed and built better in the UK instead of the work just going out to the lowest bidder, then i may have a different outlook on the situation. you refer to the italians belting round at 80mph without any problems, i’m sure your right. but how do you sort out a problem when you have a limiter that works? you can’t unless you have 100% equal brake pressure on each hub.

Seeing one come off the boat at Kiel, maybe it was allowed into the docks area only. I was told by one of the drivers in sweden that they were not allowed to travel outside of the dock area…but who knows…

With regard to Robinsons, and denby road trains, of course they would tell the government that for every one of their extra length vehicles, it would remove more conventional artics from our roads. In reality, they would only use them for their own gain, ie, deliver 2 trailer loads and only use one unit.
(Remember when Stobart built that new depot at Crick, and ask for government help in building a railhead, and when it was built, never used it. But they came unstuck when a few years later the government asked them for the £40.million back)
I wonder what sort of wage the drivers would be on, or indeed ask for to drive these rigs, in my opinion, if the boss was earning twice as much, could the driver expect a wage and a half, or maybe double.

I remember reading an article regarding the costings of LHV’s versus conventional artics. The costings showed a gain for the haulier. Although as you might expect, The wages for both types were at £500 per week.