Truckline ferries - Poole to Cherbourg

The Coutances!
The only ferry I have ever been seasick on :slight_smile:

First time I ever flew in a plane was when there were only 12 drivers allowed to accompany the Truckline boat…what an experience!!! Took me several years before I got over the fear of flying!

Years later when I was transporting explosives to and from the continent. Truckline was one of the only routes for such cargos.

rondavies:
First time I ever flew in a plane was when there were only 12 drivers allowed to accompany the Truckline boat…what an experience!!! Took me several years before I got over the fear of flying!

Years later when I was transporting explosives to and from the continent. Truckline was one of the only routes for such cargos.

Hi Ron you didn’t hail from Oxford area did you mate as if you did I must have met you only all those years ago there were not to many doing that job,cheers Buzzer.

Yes ,I remember that Ron ,if you were really hazardous they used to put you outside right by the railing in the centre ,if there was a problem your truck could easily go overboard.

Can you lot remember both the Coutances and Purbeck were taken out of service separately about
1986 and literally cut in half and extended in length as they needed more capcity.This was done
after Brittany ferries had bought out Truckline.

DEANB:
Can you lot remember both the Coutances and Purbeck were taken out of service separately about
1986 and literally cut in half and extended in length as they needed more capcity.This was done
after Brittany ferries had bought out Truckline.

Same was done to that terrible heap ,Normandy Shipper

Hi Buzzer,

Yeah, I lived in Bicester at that time when I drove for Ridgeway International who were based in Wallingford.
How is it that you think we have met?

Ron

rondavies:
Hi Buzzer,

Yeah, I lived in Bicester at that time when I drove for Ridgeway International who were based in Wallingford.

Ron

Hi Ron I think at the time you may have had an old daf but it is a long time ago,any way if it was you I remember you explaining how the trailer was designed to blow upwards if any thing went amiss and that this was the expensive bit of the outfit, at the time you were doing missiles of some sort and told me that on the paperwork they were put down as electric motors so you had less hassle on your journey,also you only did a trip a fortnight so no rushing around like us,does this ring a bell with you or am I barking up the wrong tree,cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

rondavies:
Hi Buzzer,

Ron

Hi Ron I think at the time you may have had an old daf but it is a long time ago,any way if it was you I remember you explaining how the trailer was designed to blow upwards if any thing went amiss and that this was the expensive bit of the outfit, at the time you were doing missiles of some sort and told me that on the paperwork they were put down as electric motors so you had less hassle on your journey,also you only did a trip a fortnight so no rushing around like us,does this ring a bell with you or am I barking up the wrong tree,cheers Buzzer.

Yep, rings a lot of bells! I took over as main man when Dusty (Miller) left the firm.

So where did we meet? In Wallingford, at the docks or across the water?

rondavies:

Buzzer:

rondavies:
Hi Buzzer,

Ron

Yep, rings a lot of bells! I took over as main man when Dusty (Miller) left the firm.

So where did we meet? In Wallingford, at the docks or across the water?

I cant remember where it was Ron but a lot of water and all that since then,i think I was still an owner driver and in them days pulled other peoples trailers,it could have been in the docks or maybe at a restaurant.Anyway I built up a fleet of 33 trucks by the early 90’s and we got involved going to Bosnia during that conflict but it was a good time for us,we ran mostly frigos and started by taking out the provisions and in the end we were doing Hazardous cargo like oil and fuel which we loadedfrom the army fuel dump near Ringwood,this carried on till JSL who we subbied for sold out to Steady Eddie and that was the end of that.I don’t have anything to do with the running of the firm today but we are still operating 15 trucks and sub the surplus and run by my two sons,i just play about with me horses nowadays any way nice to make contact again and the other reason that I spoke to you in the first place was that you came over nice and quiet not like so many of the tossers who used to do the job,all mouth no experience cheerio for now Buzzer.
PS.Have a look at Davies International thread on TNUK and you can see what we do.

Skwint as hard as I can, I think this is the “Purbeck”

kerbut:

richmond:
Diesel kate wasnt she from nodds of ripon or somewhere up there?

She drove for Nidd last time I saw her ,but she did drive a F10/12 for someone who was at Her Majesties Pleasure for a few years , as soon as he came out he got rid of her and she joined Nidd. Made me smile in the last but one photo of the height of the top bunk , on the Coutance and Purbeck you had a job to get into the bottom bunk due to lack of headroom . The Daf in Framptons colours was driven by Bernie for several years.

I can remember Bernie from Frampton’s i drove for James and Hodder from avonmouth and later Dorothy bowman from Durham for years regards stewart

stewart1:

kerbut:

richmond:
Diesel kate wasnt she from nodds of ripon or somewhere up there?

She drove for Nidd last time I saw her ,but she did drive a F10/12 for someone who was at Her Majesties Pleasure for a few years , as soon as he came out he got rid of her and she joined Nidd. Made me smile in the last but one photo of the height of the top bunk , on the Coutance and Purbeck you had a job to get into the bottom bunk due to lack of headroom . The Daf in Framptons colours was driven by Bernie for several years.

I can remember Bernie from Frampton’s i drove for James and Hodder from avonmouth and later Dorothy bowman from Durham for years regards stewart

Thats a blast from the past Bowmans ! What was Dorothy’s husbands name ■■? From memory did they do
some work to and from the Channel Islands ■■ Had totally forgotten about them Stewart ! :laughing:

Ray,s wife was Dorothy. The Bowmans doing CI is a different Bowman . Ray is still about and his daughter posts on Old School European Truckers on Facebook on Rays behalf.

Used Truckline a few times in the early 90,s doing GBE back loads. Remember a guy called Steve who worked for GBE and stayed around Cherbourg who would do our paperwork. Drove a Peugeot 406 Mi16.Does that ring any bells?

Yes, Steve Tremayne , unfortunately he died in September after 2 years of suffering from cancer.

kerbut:
Yes, Steve Tremayne , unfortunately he died in September after 2 years of suffering from cancer.

Ah. That’s a shame, he was decent guy. Thanks for the info

kerbut:
Ray,s wife was Dorothy. The Bowmans doing CI is a different Bowman . Ray is still about and his daughter posts on Old School European Truckers on Facebook on Rays behalf.

Cheers Nigel, thats him Ray. :wink:

Hi Dean, I have only just found this Truckline thread. I think that I have posted this picture
before on another thread. I was waiting to load on “Barfleur” at Poole 1n 1998, when it was still in
Truckline livery, and later in 2001, waiting to load at Cherbourg, now in Brittany Ferries livery.
Pictures from my camera…no copyright issues.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

The details for these 2 pictures are the same as the above posting. Regards, Ray Smyth.