Trucking in Poland behind Iron Wall

orys:
It’s taking all encoding. See?
Polish: zażÃ³łć gęślą jaźń trąbniętą
French: èéê îîîïóóôôô ççççççç
Russian: ЗиЛ
Chinese: 汉语/漢語,

If you do not have them installed in your PC, you can always copy and paste from somewhere :wink: php forums are quite smart. :wink:

Neither of my Cyrillic fonts will copy and paste onto this board. :cry:
This board translates the Cyrillic letters into latin letters.

German letters will copy and paste: Ä ä Ö ö Ü ü ß. Grüß :wink:

Maybe I’m missing something… :frowning:

Hm. Are using ISO encoding or Windows encoding?

I am using ISO, as I am on Kubuntu Linux…

great post orys, its very interesting, i have only driven in poland a few times but have seen a few of these old girls still plodding about

its amazing when you look at them and at what polish operators are running now, its a hell of a transition

We were operating good lories as well in Old Time.

I remember when I was young that was national road transport company PKS was running to western Europe. They were using mostly mercedes with yellow cabs and black trailer. Maybe some of you remember them from '80s?

They were elite of polish truckers these days, they were earning 20 times more that my father as a university lecturer and that was dream of every polish boy to become a PKS european driver… :slight_smile:

orys:
Hm. Are using ISO encoding or Windows encoding?

I am using ISO, as I am on Kubuntu Linux…

Hi orys, I think it’s Windows, but I’m no teccy I’m afraid… :frowning:

I do not know much about Windows, but I am sure, that you can somehow change your encoding if you need to use russian letters.

orys:
I remember when I was young that was national road transport company PKS was running to western Europe. They were using mostly mercedes with yellow cabs and black trailer. Maybe some of you remember them from '80s?

They were elite of polish truckers these days, they were earning 20 times more that my father as a university lecturer and that was dream of every polish boy to become a PKS european driver… :slight_smile:

Hi orys, yes I remember PeKaEs from the 80’s. Mind you, we called it “Jarulzelski” trucking back then. :wink:
:open_mouth: I think he owned the whole fleet :laughing:

Then there was the other mob: “Gorbachev Trucking” otherwise known as “Sovtransavto”. :wink:

orys:
I do not know much about Windows, but I am sure, that you can somehow change your encoding if you need to use russian letters.

I can’t understand why German letters will copy and paste, but Cyrillic letters won’t. It doesn’t seem logical. :frowning:

dieseldave:
:open_mouth: I think he owned the whole fleet :laughing:

There was noone particular owed any fleet under commuzm regime, ehm, I wanted to write “happiness”

Everything was belong to whole nation. So in some way I can tell you, that they were mine trucks as well.

Have any of you ever was the owner of 100 mercedes artics? :wink: I was! :grimacing:

dieseldave:

orys:

I can’t understand why German letters will copy and paste, but Cyrillic letters won’t. It doesn’t seem logical. :frowning:

That’s propably becose there is one standart for western european signs and various standarts for eastern european encoding. For polish letters they are still two standards in use - one ISO and one forced by microsoft (but as far as I know in Vista they gave up and using ISO standard).

I am affraid that I can’t help you more with that issue :frowning:

The PKS drivers would always give a flash and a friendly wave when they saw you in Poland,they had mostly Volvo F12’s at that time.

I also remember sitting at the DDR border at Marienborn and seeing loads of old Russian trucks,light blue with huge tyres,pulling new fridge trailers.They looked very small against the fridges they were pulling.
The Russians had a lot of F12’s new at that time too with new Trailor tilts and fridges.

i have trouble enough with the english letters, without bringing in to play the russian and chinese, i wouldn`t understand what they mean anyway. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Great photos orys, i liked the car with 3 coils, and the back to front engine, with the rad at the back of the engine bay…
шгся ся ь фквжьисьх ьвзгьфешл
i need the cyrillic for my wife whos Bulgarian, and for me whos learning it, but i can access any language…good innit