TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

There was only one "Joker " the first on the road globetrotter in the UK and it was rebuilt, Buzzer

34.jpg

bestbooties:

dieseldave:
Now I’ll chuck in another well-tidy outfit: Anybody remember Promotor??

When I was on for Expo Freight we used to pull for Promotor now and again.
This is a pic of me with a Promotor trailer heading for a Trade Fair in Teheran in 1983.This was taken at Dogubayezet truck stop in Eastern Turkey.Being well freighted with a step frame trailer,I had 4 trailer spares but only suffered one blowout in Bulgaria on the way out.

Morning bestbooties. You posted this photo many years ago of your lorry pulling a Promotor trailer en route to Tehran in 83. Great pic.

1. It says it was from ‘photo bucket’. How come its not been lost?
  2. I was ahead of you on the road by a week and must have unloaded you at the fairground.

Buzzer:
There was only one "Joker " the first on the road globetrotter in the UK and it was rebuilt, Buzzer

Sorry Buzzer I’m sure you told me it got written off, my apologise for my mistake, you sent me the info on the truck when it was new. Thanks again Paul.
And doesn’t she look great.

postman paul:

Buzzer:

Sorry Buzzer I’m sure you told me it got written off, my apologise for my mistake, you sent me the info on the truck when it was new. Thanks again Paul.
And doesn’t she look great.

Bob Edwards the original owner was a bit of a joker himself he tried to kill his mother who was the one with all the finance never understood that and he cut rates on jobs just to get them to look busy bit of a nutcase him, he had several other Volvo’s also I believe named after cards in the pack and the Joker was bought by Gary Burton who ran it for years after that,
Buzzer.

Well explained Buzzer on my behalf!

Blast form the past :smiley: Chris

My time driving in Europe was during the late 70’s and the 1980’s which for me, was…and still is…the best era for trucks, although I guess some of you “older ones” will probably prefer the 60’s with your AECs, Fodens, Guys and the like (never mind).
I worked for E M Rogers, Northampton and began doing Germany, then moved onto mainly Italy with some NL B L and F thrown in.
As you have no doubt seen elsewhere on TN, I like to take “the odd truckphoto or 2”, so as the response to the ones I have posted so far has been good, I thought i’d start a new topic and post more of my pics.
I notice some of you are talking about and asking: “if anyone remembers” various companies such as Martintrux, Hercocks, CaveWood, ECT, Swains, Coombe Valley, Atkins etc etc, so ill look out my pic of these too.
So many of these co’s are now finished. They all had smart, bold liveries which we all recognised a mile away as they came towards us on the Autoroutes, Autostradas and Autobahns. All we seem to see now is a white cab with a sticker on the door. Oh, and a non English speaking driver!
The golden age of truckin is dead!
So without further ado, dust off your old cassette tapes, snap open a Yorkie bar, sit back and enjoy.

E M Rogers, returning from Italy: Tea on the Blanc.
L to R; my F12, Mick “big ben” Bennett (now sadly died), Phil Homer DAF.

who remembers ACH from Aylesbury? Formerly Howe European, Mr Fowler had an immaculate fleet…then they were resprayed red!
This pic taken late one night in Dover.

one for all you “cokernies”. McKeller now taken over by Carr Bros, Northamptonshire.

nice pair of Walkers, pic taken south of Paris on route Italy.

and finally for now: to keep all you “non Volvo/Scania fans” happy, a DAF of Hercocks, Leicester depot. Hercocks became Derby White International. Anyone remember them? ill post a pic next time.

if there are any “old” companies running into Europe that any of you want to see, let me know, see what i can do.

Good stuff, more please.

Excellent pics especially the first one of the Blanc, not many people get to see the mountain that clearly, thanks for taking the time to post em,keep em coming.

Bullitt

Brilliant pictures of proper lorries :stuck_out_tongue:

A bit before those pics I think, but do you remember Hewson Bros, later Bullens from Howden. The company eventually became Bellgate with Paul Oxtoby taking it from George Allinson, Ellerpack and John Harrison.

Paul worked at Hewsons as a traffic clerk from school until the sad demise of Bellgate finished this piece of transport history

At least EM Rogers and Walkers of Tuxford are still around. along with Smiths of Scotter.

Andy Capp always looked well in that cream livery. Trust Norbert to spoil things :stuck_out_tongue:

You will probably have some photos of Beresford, Panalpina and Bowkers around that time :bulb:

here ya go wheel nut: couple of pics.

somewhere ive got a very rare photo of a Ellerpack Hanomag Henschel, will dig it out.
got beresfords, panalpina etc. put them on later.
do you also remember Wlison and Haigh. Thor from Stoke, Bannon and Ward from Dewsbury, Morgan Freight N Wales.
watch this space…

Nice pics, Ash.
Apart from one trip (5 weeks) for Loctite, which was a cracking trip, my time was spent with Cave Wood from 1979 to when they introduced fines for importing folk not on CMR. The job was trashed when they took away customs.

you mean you’ve got Wilson & Haigh photos ash? they were from next village down from where i grew up and remember them fondly (my mum worked there for a while - no, not as a driver :unamused: ) - mainly did panalpina’s work, they morphed into Pennine Parcels, now changed again to Ex… something logistics

if i were you i’d be saving these up and talking to robin at nynehead - a nice big book of stuff like this would sell like hot cakes mate :sunglasses:

jj72:
you mean you’ve got Wilson & Haigh photos ash?

here ya go mate. A nice F10 from W&H. got some of their Dafs and MANs, ill post um soon.

thya bring back memorys how rite you in your opening statement think hercocks had about 60 trucks a week going over at one time some nice pics of ach aswell

derby white finished eventually then fred darby started another company up called pickarby that to has now gone

Fantastic pics especially Ian Mckellars 141,s’ remember them motors well.Big Arthur had DHJ 123T when i first started there in 86, the 141s had all gone by the time i got me class 1 in 89 so had to do with a 142, shame!

Daz:
Fantastic pics especially Ian Mckellars 141,s’ remember them motors well.Big Arthur had DHJ 123T when i first started there in 86, the 141s had all gone by the time i got me class 1 in 89 so had to do with a 142, shame!

I remember running to Italy on one of my first Euro trips and being told that McKellars lads will look after you if you can keep up and if the weather is bad follow them. They always keep the Frejus open for the McKellar royal mail truck

Great job doing the post! Always got the best position to enter Corso Alamano(central customs Turin) in the mornings to tip on the bay