Truck repairs.

It’s been “fixed” now, the radiator was leaking and got replaced, but not with a new radiator, but one from a spare truck that’s being used for parts. However the replacement is from a different engine (220hp rather than 180) and it seems that just for an extra 40hp the radiator needs to be more butch to cope. It seems this is leading to overcooling, and I’m just wondering: how long will it be before the engine kills itsself now?

As I understand it; The thermostat controls the temperature of the engine by opening and closing the flow to the Radiator at a given temperature. The radiator itself shouldn’t have an effect on the temperature apart from the fact that if it is larger it will cool the water flowing through it quicker, and thus the thermostat would close the flow sooner.

A lot of vehicles bodge the problem of a nackered thermostat (that might be stuck open, for example) by covering part of the radiator with cardboard or something, reducing the cooling effectiveness.

No subsitute for getting the problem sorted properly.

What is the temp gauge saying now with the bigger radiator? As long as it is in the normal range it should be ok. If it’s not it needs looking at.

Engines run most efficiently when up to temperature, if its running too cold fuel consumption will probably take a dive along with general performance, that will hit the company in the pocket, so it is in their interest long term to sort it.

Normal operating range is about 90 degrees, but the needle isn’t moving away from the stop at the moment, although warm air is coming through the vents (not as hot as it used to be) so the engine is getting a little warm, and fuel economy/power remains unchanged (just not good enough on either criteria.

You might find that the 'stat has been removed if the truck has suffered Overheating the past. An old bodge, rather than fixing something properly.

that’s what it seems to be about, bodging it a bit to keep it running… just.
It is very much worse for wear now, a lot of the customers I deliver to seem to think that I’m ready for a new one, to which I just have to reply “I wish”

Don’t be put off looking for other work because of your short driving career. I changed jobs at exactly the same time as you are at now an went from being a relief driver on a rag tag fleet of old Iveco Cargos and Leyland Dafs to getting a well specced FM12 with pukka plant body and crane and just 3 months old. The company were more interested in my work attitude and ethic than experience. Although when my stick to the rules approach didn’t suit them any longer I was paid off and gone. Ultimately it did me a favour but it took a little while to see it.