Truck Dealers of the 1970s/1980S

Dixons of Shardlow Derby, Saviem rings a bell

When I worked in Reading there was; Great Western Motors (Bedford) Reading Garage/Penta (Rootes Group) Morris Garages, Vincents, and Horncastle Garage (all BMC dealers) Gowrings (Ford) and Caversham Motors who catered for most makes of commercials.

Pete.

5thwheel:
Sellers and Batty were ERF agents in Peterborough during early 70’s I believe.

David

Sellers & Batty was started in the 1950’s by Ernie Batty as a haulage company running Sentinel and ERF lorries transporting bricks around Peterborough. There was no local agent for either make, so Ernie set up his own dealership providing sales, service and parts for ERF, Sentinel, Commer, Dodge, Highway and BTC.

In the early 70’s Ernie sold the dealership to Lex Commercials, but they continued to trade under the Sellers & Batty name. Other S&B depots were established at other locations including Northampton and Norwich.

They were only taken over in recent years, and now trade as Imperial Commercials with the MAN and Hino agency.

John, did that Grimshaw’s garage in Prestwich become Stott’s Motors sometime in the sixties. :confused:
Stott’s had navy blue motors and I think that they also ran a couple of Dodges.

Regards Steve.
Dont know what happened to the garage after Grimshaw’s but they(Grimshaw’s) are based on the roundabout adjacent to Jun 16 M60 now just selling cars

Used to work in Tewkesbury, so can remember Oldacre Services selling Mercedes Benz before it changed title/ownership to Mudie Bond.

If memory serves, Syd Abrams had a Bedford/Vauxhall dealership on Wellington Road South in Stockport.

I remember when I broke down on the North Circular and I had to await recovery from a Bedford dealer based near/off the North Circular. (may of been Brent Cross area?) I had to wait for my boss’s dad (the boss man was on holiday) to pay an ‘outstanding’ invoice with Syd Abrams before the London dealer would turn a wheel to recover RJA641R!

I thought the starter motor was the problem so eventually, the recovery wagon turned up with a new starter motor - for a 330 engine when my engine was a 460!(or 466?) So off he trundles back to the garage for the correct starter motor and eventually returns with said starter and fits it only to find a big hole in the bell housing. (apparently a bolt from the flywheel was the cause!) The mechanic then decided a tow back to the garage was in order but I had been broken down that long that I had lost my air for the brakes, no matter, he will pump air into the brake system, only one problem the air line adaptor was back at his garage!!!

The mechanic returns eventually returns pumps air into the brake system and its a tow on a bar back to the garage -via - the North Circular westbound Hanger Lane roundabout in the middle of evening rush hour then back eastbound to the garage where we crossed all EIGHT lanes to get into the garage!

Eventually the wagon was repaired and a day later I was back on the road, little did I know I would be paying a second visit to the London dealer on the way back home!!!

boden:
mushroom man

Stotts were further down through Sedgeley Park on the right opposite the long flattened House that Jack Built ale house, not that I ever partook in said establishment. They always seem to have Commers parked there on a pull-in alongside the main road and outside a row of shops which are still in use. I’m sure there was something in the MEN about Stotts wanting to demolish the building but it was under some sort of preservation order.

We had a fuel account with Grimshaws and went into the office under the Vauxhall advertisment to sign up. The showroom on the right became a Kwiksave and now the whole lot is an M&S (and some other outfit) retail area, the car storage area is now where the M&S wagons unload.

Hi Stephen thanks for that, have you retired yet or are you still night trunking. :slight_smile:
I have spent the afternoon going up and down Bury New Road on Google Earth and I can’t find where about Stott’s garage was. :cry:
I remember that Foden 46 R.I.P. drove for them in the mid sixties but he never took any photos. :cry:

Regards Steve.

Cheers Steve

I’ve been semi retired since April last year, midday start Sunday and 1500 Monday and Tuesday so clock out Wednesday, 0300 this week, though I thought it was going to be sooner, and start the weekend, which will do nicely! and I must say well remembered on that one. I rang up my brother who knows about these things cos he’s older than me and said that Stotts yard was accessed off Knoll street, so come back up Bury New Road toward Sedgeley Park from what I call Rialto Lights named after the cinema, though its been the site of a Mac D for some years and Knoll St. is the first set of lights and you can only go left and the yard is there on the right .It was also the site NAES auto electrical repairs, its actually called Higher Broughton round there.

Regards

A firm not mentioned yet as a north Londoner is Arlington motors, Ponders End, Bedford dealers, my elder brother done his apprenticeship there before moving to Australia 55 years ago,
Also when I worked for W & M Wood, we used to get all our Leyland spares from the old bus repair depot at Aldenham Watford, we also had Scania’s with motors and spares coming from Scania Brimsdown, which is now Redburn Transfer ltd depot now.

Ossie

I worked in the Blackburn,Lancashire area in the early 70s and the list of dealers iirc was,
Seddon. Cicely Commercials.
Ford. Walsh Bros.
B.M.C. Dunderdale & Yates. & Loxhams.
Leyland. Gilbraith Commercials.
E.R.F. TGB Garages.
Bedford. J&S. Leaver.
Commer. Cuerden Motors.
The only one of these still dealing in trucks are Cicely Commercials who are now Mercedes Benz Agents.If I have missed any let me know.

ERF:

5thwheel:
Sellers and Batty were ERF agents in Peterborough during early 70’s I believe.

David

Sellers & Batty was started in the 1950’s by Ernie Batty as a haulage company running Sentinel and ERF lorries transporting bricks around Peterborough. There was no local agent for either make, so Ernie set up his own dealership providing sales, service and parts for ERF, Sentinel, Commer, Dodge, Highway and BTC.

In the early 70’s Ernie sold the dealership to Lex Commercials, but they continued to trade under the Sellers & Batty name. Other S&B depots were established at other locations including Northampton and Norwich.

They were only taken over in recent years, and now trade as Imperial Commercials with the MAN and Hino agency.

It was about the same time that CLS Scunthorpe took the haulage side over,although this was after my driving days with them,so unsure as to how the business’ joined.

David

Hi Stephen, I eventually found where the Stott’s garage used to be so thanks for that. :smiley:
A name that has just sprung to mind was Rimrose Commercials who I think might of been from Merseyside in the eighties. Has anybody got any info on them.

Regards Steve.

shirtbox2003:
I worked in the Blackburn,Lancashire area in the early 70s and the list of dealers iirc was,
Seddon. Cicely Commercials.
Ford. Walsh Bros.
B.M.C. Dunderdale & Yates. & Loxhams.
Leyland. Gilbraith Commercials.
E.R.F. TGB Garages.
Bedford. J&S. Leaver.
Commer. Cuerden Motors.
The only one of these still dealing in trucks are Cicely Commercials who are now Mercedes Benz Agents.If I have missed any let me know.

Thomas Fox, potato merchants and Renault dealer? Bill Fox was chairman of Blackburn Rovers, I believe, in the pre-Walker era

IIRC Caffins(spelling?) were a BMC dealer around the Eastbourne and Bexhill area of the south coast,remember getting them to a flat battery,many moons ago though!!

David

Blackburn & Price Berwick on Tweed Bedford Dealers, Regards Larry.

I don’t think Brian Sharp Ltd. from Haverton Hill, Teeside has been mentioned, one of the very early DAF dealers.(early seventies)
Before DAF I think they had the ERF dealership for the area.
There was Brian Sharp himself at the top of the organisation and his co-director was Bill Beadnell. They had a salesman based in Gateshead called Maurice Garnett.
The business morphed into North East Daf Trucks and they opened a depot just off Newcastle Quayside.
They eventually opened a purpose built place in Blaydon. When Daf and Leyland merged the existing Hargreaves stores staff from the TVTE went to Blaydon and the name changed to North East Leyland Daf.
When Daf hit problems they took on the IVECO agency which they still have.

Tyneside

gazzer:
H.J. Prince Ltd. Previously AEC dealers and then VOLVO. Volvo Truck and Bus took over the dealership eventually, now M C Truck and Bus.
Photo is Millbrook Road Southampton, now on Nursling Ind.

Hi Mate !!!
Trawling through this morning and Wow !! Robert Armstrongs in all ther glorey, great photo.
I tied to put “Harry the hats” drawbar in the workshop one day, I bl**dy well needed a day too, the fuel pumps did not help, remember them ■■?
Harvey

How about Mick Richards ? Sorry I meant Loydes of Stafford

Moodies Perkins Engine Dealers, Glasgow. SMT Glasgow & Edinburgh, Bedford Dealers. Regards Larry.

Blakes Bedford Dealers Manchester, Milburn Motors Carlisle Leyland Dealers, County Garage Ford Dealers Carlisle.Regards Larry.