Tri axle trailers on twin wheels

thanks for your replies guys.
cheers
gaz

I’ve fetched this back from Norwich today. 12 Perished tyres and no brakes!! Reminded me of the good old days…It will make a nice trailer.Someone has already stretched it to 13.6 metre. But it’s going to need loads of work as it was last tested in 2001.

image.jpg

Nick bull:
I’ve fetched this back from Norwich today. 12 Perished tyres and no brakes!! Reminded me of the good old days…It will make a nice trailer.Someone has already stretched it to 13.6 metre. But it’s going to need loads of work as it was last tested in 2001.

Good for you, Nick! So many perfectly serviceable old trailers have been lost to EU-legislation, mass exports to non-EU countries and unnatural waste-age. I reckon that decent period artic trailers are now far harder to come by than tractive units! Robert

Nick bull:

hey nick,
you going to put a tilt body on it ?
cheers
gaz

Two together. Too much?

How many would you like.

Dig

Very few trailers on singles here in South Australia, you can only run at max weight on twins.

tetragaz:

Nick bull:

hey nick,
you going to put a tilt body on it ?
cheers
gaz

No gaz I thought I was a bit of a one off as it is. I’ll probably cut it down to 4 meters and put new sheets on it . Cheers Nick

I did a bit of moonlighting driving this for an owner driver pal,it didn’t cause many problems for him but I recall him saying there were a lot of tyres to look after but if one gave out you could make it to somewhere safe to park,
Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:
I did a bit of moonlighting driving this for an owner driver pal,it didn’t cause many problems for him but I recall him saying there were a lot of tyres to look after but if one gave out you could make it to somewhere safe to park,
Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I used to drive a 112 and flat trailer with the same set-up, Bubbs. People used to say, ‘So you drive an 18-wheeler do?’ and I used to reply, ‘No mate, a 22-wheeler’; which was true! :laughing:

This is a shot of a state of the art tri axle in 1983, £6,250, no contest compared to the 12 wheeled abortions that started to appear at the time ! Cheers Bewick.

For sure your three-axled trailer was a money-maker!

ERF-Continental:
For sure your three-axled trailer was a money-maker!

No matter how I costed up the triaxle route the sums just didn’t work out if the conversion was carried out properly as opposed to those that literally just “stuck” a third, usually odd, axle into the trailer ! Cheers Bewick.

The one thing I’ve never worked out is why so many front lifts on trailers ,imo the rear lift is the advantage .

Marley Transport converted some of their 30’ tandam axle crane trailers to Tri-axle by moving the bogie and the addition of a granning lifting axle. On this 6x4 Foden it looks all axles and nothing else!!

^^^^ those light weight steel wheels that mans had ,can’t remember name off them ?
Edit monolex ■■

Now this was a late model C/F tandem which had the heavier neck and which “The Blacksmiths third axles “R” Us” would have earmarked as a candidate for “sticking” another axle under ! Not a chance in the Bewick fleet ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Now this was a late model C/F tandem which had the heavier neck and which “The Blacksmiths third axles “R” Us” would have earmarked as a candidate for “sticking” another axle under ! Not a chance in the Bewick fleet ! Cheers Bewick.

Well Dennis we converted our York tandem in a couple of days It cost about £800.00. We changed the springs to Monoleaf too, So IMO It was worth our efforts, Of course it was the only flat trailer that we had , So it was worth doing IMO, Regards Larry.

Hi all
Im just musing what your load weights per axle group are in relation to ours here in West Aus,I would have thought running tri axles would give you an increase in the order of 3 possibly 4 tonnes extra.
Ours are 16.5 tonnes per dual axle group and 20tonnes per tri axle but that can be increased by 1 tonne per normal in-house freight [21 tonnes per tri group] and 3.5tonnes for bulk export freight.[23.5 tonnes per tri group.] Marvelous what a bit of paper says increases the weight bridges etc can carry.
The bogie drive axles can be increased to 18.5 tonnes on the export bulk freight but a lot of contractors involved in the industry switched to tri drive axle and tri axle dollys configuration in the bulk ore and fuel haul industry.
All groups are dual wheels.

I.m assuming a reluctance to change to tri axle trailers would be because if you are getting the maximum that could be loaded on a trailer regardless of axle groups why go to the increase in purchase/modification costs if theres no monetary gain.

Cheers Dig

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Well Dennis we converted our York tandem in a couple of days It cost about £800.00. We changed the springs to Monoleaf too, So IMO It was worth our efforts, Of course it was the only flat trailer that we had , So it was worth doing IMO, Regards Larry.

I understand exactly what you are saying Larry and by what you say you carried out the conversion very diligently and then you would have treated the trailer with care when you used it ! However I can liken what you say to the D1000 I ran as an O/D which didn’t give me a moments trouble during the time I drove it because I treated it with the utmost respect! but that ■■■■■■■ V8 had a dreadful reputation in general fleet service as I am sure you will recall ! My first artic was a Mastiff (Perkins V8) and was coupled to a 32 ft Primrose tandem four which we could load with an 18ton payload at 26tons GVW, now because I had a canny Driver on this motor we never had any problems but I would have had if many another driver had been behind the wheel, no danger, and the V8 Perkins gave us no bother by the way because it was again tret with the utmost respect! Which brings me back to these multi wheeled conversions of trailers back in the day, there was absolutely no way I could have set about converting 60 or 70 tandems of various ages it would have been a nightmare never mind the lumber we would have ended up in operating them ! I’m not preaching to you Larry, no way, I’am just explaining the situation we were faced with as opposed to your goodself ! Just come back in from a slap up Sunday lunch with my Good lady, great ! Regards Dennis.