Transporting "hot" goods

so do these tankers look like normal road tankers with all the heating stuff built into the tanker from the outside or do they look dif :question:

HERE TRY THIS

here
LOOK at the 2nd container that is one
used , below is

one of the newer tanks HERE

you will not notice that much difference as the heating system
is hidden away, they also have tanks which use other systems
to keep the products warm ,
I will try to find a few from a firm here in Germany
that went to Russia with hot products and used the
gearbox oil system to heat the tanks, they also
used to do a self wash as well,

I get to deliver Bitumen to Asphalt plants and quarries. We load between 150c to the hottest I have carried at 213c depending on grade and thickness of the product. There are no heaters on the tank it’s just a very large thermos flask and if allowed to cool down it will go solid and then its real fun getting it out. The last one we had that cooled down took 3 months to get it cleared by putting a super heated steam lance in it and leaving it for a few weeks and then having a go at pumping it out. The insulation is good on the tanks and the stuffs ok in there for a couple of days.

Even the stuff going in the tippers to be laid on the road is over 150c when it leaves the plant, though they do not come under ADR regs.

The problem arises when we tip, because its nearly always a pressurised delivery and we have to wear ridiculous PPE in case a hose or gasket lets go. We had one a few weeks ago and the driver was lucky not to have a very hot shower as the stuff went everywhere. I have to say if you get coated it can burn you to death, so If you see a Bitumen tanker tipping give it a wide berth just in case.

Cruise Control:
so do these tankers look like normal road tankers with all the heating stuff built into the tanker from the outside or do they look dif :question:

HI CC, it depends upon what you call ‘normal’ mate. :wink:

The type of tankers for hot work are normally double skinned and may have a couple of extra connections from tractor to trailer.

As said earlier, you can spot the ‘hot’ mark as posted by Wheel Nut.
:bulb: If you see such a tanker in a services, you might have a wander around it for a looksee and a chat with the driver. :smiley:

Harry Monk:
I’ve loaded rebar out of Cardiff which was still bright orange, does that count? :wink:

celsa, no doubt?
i’ve also done ingets out of a place in sheff, still glowiing red and watched steam rolling off em in the rain on my way to stocksbridge!
must’ve baffled a few car drivers along the way :smiley:

paul b:

Harry Monk:
I’ve loaded rebar out of Cardiff which was still bright orange, does that count? :wink:

celsa, no doubt?
i’ve also done ingets out of a place in sheff, still glowiing red and watched steam rolling off em in the rain on my way to stocksbridge!

Yes, I couldn’t go anywhere because it was too hot to strap up, I tried but it just melted the strap, so I sat on East Moors road, after 30 minutes it was still dull orange, you could still see the heat haze coming off of it, then it started to rain and it looked absolutely surreal with the steam pouring off of it, one of those “Wish I’d taken a photo” moments.

ingets out of the place in sheff had been in the furnace for 24 hours, they then had to sit for another 24 to cool down before they could be loaded, amazing how hot they still were after a full day cooling! done plenty of rebar out of celsa, it was my regular load for quite awhile as an o/d, sheet coils down, rebar back, in a lot of ways wish i was still on it now.

Cruise Control:

Wheel Nut:
Diesel Dave will be along with the legalities in a few moments when we can wake him up.

i do believe he might be in a lay-by just after Morpeth 2 miles up the A697… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think he’ll be a while if he’s waiting for the ‘pie man’. Don’t think he’s there on bank holidays :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Harry Monk:

paul b:

Harry Monk:

celsa, no doubt?

Yes, I couldn’t go anywhere because it was too hot to strap up, I tried but it just melted the strap, so I sat on East Moors road, after 30 minutes it was still dull orange, you could still see the heat haze coming off of it, then it started to rain and it looked absolutely surreal with the steam pouring off of it, one of those “Wish I’d taken a photo” moments.

I have had that where is my camera moment in Scunthorpe when an unlit train trundles over the rail line. I was strapping up in the half light and wondered why it was so zb hot at about 22.30 on a Friday night. This train had an ingot on it that probably weighed 1000 tonne and was glowing cherry red and hissing as the rain drops landed on it

Grumpygraeme:
I get to deliver Bitumen to Asphalt plants and quarries. We load between 150c to the hottest I have carried at 213c depending on grade and thickness of the product. There are no heaters on the tank it’s just a very large thermos flask and if allowed to cool down it will go solid and then its real fun getting it out. The last one we had that cooled down took 3 months to get it cleared by putting a super heated steam lance in it and leaving it for a few weeks and then having a go at pumping it out. The insulation is good on the tanks and the stuffs ok in there for a couple of days.

Even the stuff going in the tippers to be laid on the road is over 150c when it leaves the plant, though they do not come under ADR regs.

The problem arises when we tip, because its nearly always a pressurised delivery and we have to wear ridiculous PPE in case a hose or gasket lets go. We had one a few weeks ago and the driver was lucky not to have a very hot shower as the stuff went everywhere. I have to say if you get coated it can burn you to death, so If you see a Bitumen tanker tipping give it a wide berth just in case.

Would I have seen you in Tarmacs at Charlton? or Bardons at Greenwich mate?? Ive seen you boys Geared up in that PPE many a time’
I make you right aswell!, That "Gear"s well hot!!

Grumpygraeme wrote:

Would I have seen you in Tarmacs at Charlton? or Bardons at Greenwich mate?? Ive seen you boys Geared up in that PPE many a time’
I make you right aswell!, That "Gear"s well hot!!

That will be me and my collegues. Its comfortable in the winter but horrible in the summer with the thick flame proof overalls, helmet, neck shield, face shield, safety glasses, rigger boots and insulated gloves - Phew ! Tipped in 35c one summer I nearly melted.

paul b:

Harry Monk:

celsa, no doubt?

Done plenty of “hot stuff” out of Stocksbridge, but it’s supposed to be cold. You only find out by feeling the heat when you walk past it. Once got told not to put the trailer too close to some bars on one side of a door because they may melt the tyres :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Intake do molten ingots out of Forgemasters - they travel in a converted 20ft container. I believe you have to do the trip in one hit tho.

Wincanton run a fleet of insulated trailers on the B&Q contract, delivering seedlings and other plants,

Must run at +12.

They have their peak at this time of year.

Work Shy:
Wincanton run a fleet of insulated trailers on the B&Q contract, delivering seedlings and other plants,

Must run at +12.

They have their peak at this time of year.

Some car transporters are kept heated. There is also a Belgian firm who run refrigerated tippers.