Trans Arabia /S. Jones of Aldridge:A few pics

Backsplice good to hear from you ,that shower what a luxsury to have that ,what a good idea using air pressure and was that brackish water ? or sweet water ! I heard of a filopeano bathing in flood water down Bahah and he caught a fatal bug !! You had to be very Choosey in bathing when finding water, Water was the answer to survival in Saudi we always carried a box of warm Safa hoping we never to run out of this life giving liquid . We heard of the Brit from that outfit in Dammam ■■ Heartbreak Hotel ■■ going out on his first trip had a blowout down the Abqak rd and it cost him his life RIP , Dehydration was a killer for sure in those temp, as it was for the horse you rode , Ron

.This is what happend when the Brits left Trans Arabia ,even Tony Copes 117 was smashed up ,his B was well cared for with the Jake Brake as was all the trucks ,a sorry sight indeed , Ron

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’ve just spent an entire day reading this thread start to finish. Fascinating Stuff. Thanks to all who have contributed to a thread which has touched on a part of my life I thought was but a distant childhood memory. If I may, let me explain…

My divorced mother met my soon-to-be step dad in Liverpool. That would be around 1969/70. My mum was a nurse at Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool and her new ‘chap’ was a lorry driver working out of Liverpool Docks on Irish work for P&O Pandoro. As is often the case with relationships breaking up things turned sour in Liverpool. Family taking sides etc, and my mum (and now step dad) decided to up sticks and move.

He was offered a job for Pandoro in South Wales. Cardiff to be exact. Pandoro had rented truck parking spaces at Hills Transport in Cardiff and he was offered one of the slots. My mum found work as a nurse at Cardiff Royal Infirmary so we moved lock stock and barrel and set about building a new life.

Over the next few years all my weekends and school holidays were spent in the cab of a truck. Normally an Atkinson Borderer or perhaps an ERF A series and always in Hills livery as my step dad spent many weekends driving for Hills on the ‘obble’.

It would have been about 75/76 when my mum announced to us ‘Dad’ was about to go and work abroad. In Saudi Arabia. As a truck driver. I would have been about 9 or 10 and I had no idea where Saudi Arabia was.

Next thing I knew he was gone. And we would see him about every 12 or 16 weeks (cant remember exactly).

Having read this entire thread I’ve seen him mentioned in passing, and I’ve seen pictures of him but no one was ever sure of his name. On all the staff name lists his name never appeared. So hopefully if he deserves to be there now he will be.

I’ve seen him referred to as ‘Scouse’ and also as John, but no one knew anything else about him. This is he, on the left with taffie Bill (right) and Jonnie Mathews (Centre).

My dads name was John Long.

Thanks again fella’s. I’ve really enjoyed this and will check through all my mums photos (sadly she passed almost 2 years ago) to see if there’s anything I can add.

Hello Scribe , well I am pleased to meet you if only in words ,you dad Scouse drove a Mac in Jeddah his name was on the front he was an OK guy and I got to know him well , the Photo is one that I took up the North Creek , we had a JP 14 sailing boat what we all plaid a part in making sea worthy repairing it on our days off in the yard back at the villa in Jeddah and then enjoying the fruits of our labour up the North creek on our day off John long had some good times there I remember us having BBQ chicken garnished with red source it was an inland sea and Scouse was in the boat quite a lot all though it was very hot we all got burned thinking the sea breeze would keep us cool , Ron

image.jpg

You needed a double mirror on the NS espesualy with the road trains , and during the pilgrimages to Mecha there where millions in Jeddah , Ron

ERF NGC Ready for the paint shop the NGCs took the strain there turn out was a credit to S Jones ,as where the mechanics who took part in the rebuild of Trans Arabian fleet of ERFs , 130 A series was ready chafing at the bit looking Spick and spam ,all the trucks and trailers where completely overhauled ,kb will be pleased to know that I played a big part in the ■■■■■■■ engines ,ready to be put to the test in the hot desert of Arabia , and they deserve an accolade along with the skilled drivers that had a shock when the Tri Star flew between the blocks of flats at night and the door opened up in that town named Jeddah , Thanks to BA for a wet flight , it was bloody Hot , I mean Hot , Ron.

image.jpg

ronhawk:
You needed a double mirror on the NS espesualy with the road trains , and during the pilgrimages to Mecha there where millions in Jeddah , Ron

Yes Ron that was definitely Ian Pender ,s truck fleet No 1 great shots

Here,s a photo of Ian (in the red t shirt) having a break somewhere in the sand ■■ and another copy of his truck No1 check the bumper !!
you must admit the F89 looks impressive along side the Bulldog ■■?

Copy of img338.jpg

Well Backsplice ? I will Doff my Hat to that F89 , ■■ ,but you must admire the spare wheel carrier on 116 That dolly looks a little high on the 2nd trailer ,the load of Glass sounds shattering to me , Gypsy Dave wrote a short poem about the Mac ? The line I remember went like this ? Now I sugest to uncle Sam ! when he has time to doddle, just take our dog from off that truck , and tie a nice toy Poodle , having driven the Mac , !! Looks are not everything , Not a patch on the ERF , NGC , or the B for that matter , Ron

ronhawk:
Hello Scribe , well I am pleased to meet you if only in words ,you dad Scouse drove a Mac in Jeddah his name was on the front he was an OK guy and I got to know him well , the Photo is one that I took up the North Creek , we had a JP 14 sailing boat what we all plaid a part in making sea worthy repairing it on our days off in the yard back at the villa in Jeddah and then enjoying the fruits of our labour up the North creek on our day off John long had some good times there I remember us having BBQ chicken garnished with red source it was an inland sea and Scouse was in the boat quite a lot all though it was very hot we all got burned thinking the sea breeze would keep us cool , Ron

Hi ronhawk and thanks for the reply. Blimey who new John had a nautical bent? :smiley: That’s a side of him we never got to see back in Cardiff.

Under different circumstances I could well have appeared in some of these pictures. As explained my mum was a state registered nurse. John came home one time and the talk was all of the possibility of my mum getting a full time contract working in Saudi as a nurse. Which would have meant us upping sticks and setting off on our travels again.

With my little sister (Johns daughter) still a babe in arms my mum decided she preferred the security of the NHS so we never went in the end. I’m sure I would have loved it. Even as an 8/9 year old trucks were in my blood.

Fast forwards about 20 years, to this photo of me and two mates stopped on a French motorway en route to Italy, carrying bulk feeds.

tyredout.jpg

I’m the one in the distastefully coloured shorts and vest. The lad in the foreground reaching for his tea is Dean Broad. Son of Yoyo Broad. But I didn’t know any of this at the time.

Its only after reading this thread I realised our dads could well have played out a similar scene all those years ago in Saudi. Small world eh?

Sincerely, thanks again for this thread.

:smiley: ,Thanks Scribe for contributing to this thread ,

Vince Cook !! May i offer my sincere condolence’s on the passing of your farther VINCE , to you Gerry , had I have known I would have paid my respects at his funeral !! We where in Barsalona at this time of his passing ,I am just thinking now of the many times you came to the night shift at S Jones and used to fill up his truck with fuel you where still at school I believe all those years ago ,Vince was indeed a lovely Guy ,RIP, Trucking was in his blood as it is in yours , Ron

I know it’s been on before but its all true , Just reminiscing of the memorable days in KSA , The one that was completely and absolutely Mad ! Was the Kenworth C500 deep sand oil explorer truck that was brand new , and had got a problem with its gearbox ! Having sorted this out I could not wait to road test this monster , So up at the crack of dawn I went to GCC in Dammam, opened up the workshop and drove this truck to the barrier , the night watchman opened up and out I went crossing the duel carriageway turning left at the island and onto the Abqake Rd traveling on for a few miles until I found the sand dunes on my right , well it was some experience up and over the dunes was brilliant this truck was better than the four x four legged Camel !! ((To be continued )) if I get back we are going to the pub , Ron

We are still waiting Ron!! Looks like the pub visit has gone on for quite a few hours!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jsutherland:
We are still waiting Ron!! Looks like the pub visit has gone on for quite a few hours!!

Well that’s better ,mind you I have a bit of a head ach ,The truck had a Alison semi auto transition air shift on the dash the leaver was attached to a counter dial indicator , The 9th gear had been blanked off for safety as this truck would start to bounce at its top speed with its balloon tyres , having played with the truck in the dunes , It was time to get back on tarmac heading back to Dammam that’s when I almost got in trouble ? The truck took up all of the road and no body could overtake ? ? Passing stacks of parked trucks left and right with the Police waving at me I only had about 2miles To go !!! GCC was just off the first island at the Dammam roundabout ,So I drove on and on taking up all the Rd ! The police where now right up my Rs with there sirens blowing flashing lights the lot , But I just kept going , by now there was traffic in front and I got a bit concerned in case I ran over the car,s in front looking in the rear view mirrors at the chaos. behind me at least 4-5 cop cars , I could see the island pushing up all in front I can get there ? And I did crossing the dual carriageway I made it to the Barrier which was down , I only wished it was on film it was the most hilarious thing that happened to me in my many years in the sand of Saudi .the cops where jumping up and down shouting obscene things in a foreign language , Me no understand? Me no understand I am white man . With a blue shirt on well it was absolutely fantastic , Ron ( all true )

ronhawk:

jsutherland:

Well that’s better ,mind you I have a bit of a head ach ,The truck had a Alison semi auto transition air shift on the dash the leaver was attached to a counter dial indicator , The 9th gear had been blanked off for safety as this truck would start to bounce at its top speed with its balloon tyres , having played with the truck in the dunes , It was time to get back on tarmac heading back to Dammam that’s when I almost got in trouble ? The truck took up all of the road and no body could overtake ? ? Passing stacks of parked trucks left and right with the Police waving at me I only had about 2miles To go !!! GCC was just off the first island at the Dammam roundabout ,So I drove on and on taking up all the Rd ! The police where now right up my Rs with there sirens blowing flashing lights the lot , But I just kept going , by now there was traffic in front and I got a bit concerned in case I ran over the car,s in front looking in the rear view mirrors at the chaos. behind me at least 4-5 cop cars , I could see the island pushing up all in front I can get there ? And I did crossing the dual carriageway I made it to the Barrier which was down , I only wished it was on film it was the most hilarious thing that happened to me in my many years in the sand of Saudi .the cops where jumping up and down shouting obscene things in a foreign language , Me no understand? Me no understand I am white man . With a blue shirt on well it was absolutely fantastic , Ron ( all true )

Quite an experience then!! What did they do to you? Just shout at you, of were you taken off to “cool down”?

Bloody hell give me time to catch my breath , :open_mouth: there was a right commotion at the barrier I was still high up in the jockey seat , sitting tight, then one off the top Saudis came out it may have been Khaled himself !!! ■■ and he spoke to the cops , they where going crazy, pointing to me as if it was important that the truck had to come back to its stable , eventually I started up and parked up in the yard happy days Ron

[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

The curfew in Dammam was no trucks before 10 am , the reason that i ignored this was that GCC was just 200 yards beyond the first island , Unfortunately they did not know that I knew this ? With hindsight I could of gone Cross country but idid not want to tangle with the 9.15 train to Riyhad :open_mouth: that would have a bigger incident :wink: !!! or just park up with the rest, If I had of done this the story would not be so interesting , Ron