Tramping vs days vs nights

Lancsdriver70:
:oops:

I nearly started reading it a second time. An realised I’d only just read through it [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Almost forgot to mention…one of the benefits of being based up here in the north-west, and NOT being a
tramper…is that you never have to drive anywhere in London!

Most drivers at our place have never driven an artic in London in their lives (even the guys who’ve been in the
game for 30 yrs or so). The only drivers up here I know that have driven round there are trampers.

Respect to those who regularly have to drive around London…but it wouldn’t be for me :neutral_face:

Lancsdriver70:
Almost forgot to mention…one of the benefits of being based up here in the north-west, and NOT being a

Most drivers at our place have never driven an artic in London in their lives (even the guys who’ve been in the
game for 30 yrs or so). The only drivers up here I know that have driven round there are trampers.

Respect to those who regularly have to drive around London…but it wouldn’t be for me :neutral_face:

London is made worse than it is by people who’ve never been there spouting second hand rubbish about how bad it is.

Yes, it’s busy and you need eyes everywhere, some drops can be tight or with nowhere to stop except double yellows etc. but the same goes for just about any city.

It’s by no means good or a place I would choose to go but it’s not as bad as gets made out.

A.

I’m back tramping 4 on 4 off, still means I’ve got 5 nights at home.
I drive 70 minutes to the wagon once a week and same home, decent money.
It helps family life too.
If I’ve been on a five day week I’m knackered every night when I get home, old grumpy arse. But on the 4 on 4 off shift there is none if that.
I get home on the day of my last shift and have my tea and a beer then generally fall asleep. The next four days I’m fresh and a bit less grumpy :laughing:
the bonus is I’m doing mostly farms on tankers doing liquid animal feeds so virtually no city work and if there is its only to mixing or storage plants in industrial areas.
No more than two drops a day and no strapping the load down, yup I like it :wink:
oh and the best, the boss actually asks if the jobs are okay.

switchlogic:

eagerbeaver:
I am genuinely interested in folks motives for doing the job that they do, and I would appreciate some full on honesty :laughing:

Money :wink:

Do you work Friday to Monday every week Luke?

Beetlejuice:

switchlogic:

eagerbeaver:
I am genuinely interested in folks motives for doing the job that they do, and I would appreciate some full on honesty :laughing:

No I don’t really have a fixed work week I just cover what’s required. My comment was slightly tounge in cheek. I could earn more but I also need my interest in the job to be maintained, which I struggle to do on the likes of supermarket work

Adonis.:
London is made worse than it is by people who’ve never been there spouting second hand rubbish about how bad it is.

It’s by no means good or a place I would choose to go but it’s not as bad as gets made out.

A.

I f that’s the case why did it take me as long to do the last 30 miles as the previous 300 on my last ride in ■■ :unamused:

If tramping around Europe at least you are seeing and experiencing something new and having a bit of an adventure
Just tramping in UK for 20 quid a night and all the hassle and traffic and the rest of the crap you have to put up with you are welcome to it
Why would anyone travel 2 hours to work, or for that matter get a job 2 hours away and then sleep in truck to save petrol
Are the people you work for such bad payers
No wonder the job will never get any better or maybe it’s the drivers themselves that just love been shafted at every turn

raymundo:

Adonis.:

A.

I f that’s the case why did it take me as long to do the last 30 miles as the previous 300 on my last ride in ■■ :unamused:

I would assume because there was heavy traffic. Of course, London is the only place in the entire world where you go slow. :unamused:

A.

nightline:
If tramping around Europe at least you are seeing and experiencing something new and having a bit of an adventure
Just tramping in UK for 20 quid a night and all the hassle and traffic and the rest of the crap you have to put up with you are welcome to it
Why would anyone travel 2 hours to work, or for that matter get a job 2 hours away and then sleep in truck to save petrol
Are the people you work for such bad payers
No wonder the job will never get any better or maybe it’s the drivers themselves that just love been shafted at every turn

Maybe those that travel 2 hours to work do because they can earn more money than if they stayed locally?
But obviously, that isn’t practical, just the time factor alone for a day job.

I take my hat off for the guys with young kids like me doing tramping Monday to Friday. Sometimes even risking to have half Saturday off only. I am 34 and chasing money like a mad man at the moment but wouldn’t consider that. Nights I would give a go for a year if the money was good to make a difference for my savings I need.

I am young in the game but coming to realise I need to do whatever I can to jump into the petrol tankers, that would suit me well. 40 45k no nights out, No messing about with rdc, Yes I would have to do some rotating nights but Hey, that will be the most suitable thing I will find in this game. I think so

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

switchlogic:

Beetlejuice:

switchlogic:

eagerbeaver:

No I don’t really have a fixed work week I just cover what’s required. My comment was slightly tounge in cheek. I could earn more but I also need my interest in the job to be maintained, which I struggle to do on the likes of supermarket work

I Was being nosey as noticed you set off on weekends regular,I’m thinking of trying weekend work with the better rates I keep seeing .

Adonis.:

Lancsdriver70:

Yes, it’s busy and you need eyes everywhere, some drops can be tight or with nowhere to stop except double yellows etc. but the same goes for just about any city.

A.

I used to love doing London in the early days when there was some good parks there.
Sheperds Bush, Aldgate roundabout, Bishopgate, Leyton to name a few, had some bloody good nights out there regularly.
Then it changed, restrictions here there and every ■■■■ where, night bans, congestion charges and worst NO truck parking.
On top of that Truckers are public enemy no1 there now, thanks to Bellends the likes of Sadiq Khan :smiling_imp: .

So I avoid that complete ■■■■ hole like crabs nowadays, I used to know my way through every in and out road pre M25 (and sat nav) days, …I went through about 2 yrs ago and got ■■■■ lost. :blush:

Beetlejuice:
I Was being nosey as noticed you set off on weekends regular,I’m thinking of trying weekend work with the better rates I keep seeing .

Ah yes that’s true. Partly thats because I’m not bothered what days my test days are and partly the joys of international meat transport. This week I start early Saturday morning to be in Italy for Monday morning

robroy:

Adonis.:

Lancsdriver70:

A.

I used to love doing London in the early days when there was some good parks there.
Sheperds Bush, Aldgate roundabout, Bishopgate, Leyton to name a few, had some bloody good nights out there regularly.
Then it changed, restrictions here there and every [zb] where, night bans, congestion charges and worst NO truck parking.
On top of that Truckers are public enemy no1 there now, thanks to Bellends the likes of Sadiq Khan :smiling_imp: .

So I avoid that complete [zb] hole like crabs nowadays, I used to know my way through every in and out road pre M25 (and sat nav) days, …I went through about 2 yrs ago and got [zb] lost. :blush:

In the words of Partridge

The train to London. Calling at rejection, disappointment, backstabbing central and shattered dreams parkway

nightline:

Partly the reason i moved from the UK many years ago, at least 6months a year of crap weather, never ending jams and an over regulated transport industry ruled in a naziesque fashion.
I wouldnt call slogging across europe an adventure by any means but the scenery is much nicer and the weather much better…

the maoster:

nightline:
Looks like it’s all about the 20 quid for a days work that they are all interested in trampers
I suppose a 100 quid a week can make a huge difference to someone’s lifestyle I just don’t get it how someone could let themselves be treated like dirt for 20 quid and at the same time mind all the gear for that.
It must have been a hard life with whatever they were doing before that

You just luuuurve posts like this don’t you? :smiley: . If nothing else it allows you to trot out your old and tired “■■■■ stained lay by, tin box, unpaid security guard” shizzle. I’m reminded of the fat guys in overstretched footy tops shouting obscenities at real football players about how the game should be played…

FYI I get £26 per night, I don’t use 2 gallons of petrol commuting, I’m in truth doing more hours than I’d be happy doing on day runs therefore increasing my earnings and my holiday pay average (for some bizarre reason) includes my expenses. So £20 per day? I think not.

Lets look at the facts
A salesman on the road spending night’s away from home or for that matter anyone other than a truck driver
Leaves his house Monday morning stops for lunch at 13.00 = lunch is paid for
Finnishs at 17.00 at hotel for night and has dinner at 19.30 = Paid For
Has a good night’s sleep in nice bed = Paid For
Gets up next morning and has a shower Paid For
Goes down for a full breakfast = Paid For
NOW TELL ME YOUR 26 QUID IS WORTH IT
You would be lucky to wipe your arse with it never mind getting a decent meal for it, and on top of that you are the cream, top dog, because you must be on the top of the top rate for night out money.
Do you not get lunch money or is it all part of your 26 quid
It’s a sad world when people spend 24 hours a day 4 or 5 days a week away for 26 quid for a 24 hour shift
I rest my case

nightline:
Lets look at the facts
A salesman on the road spending night’s away from home or for that matter anyone other than a truck driver
You would be lucky to wipe your arse with it never mind getting a decent meal for it, and on top of that you are the cream, top dog, because you must be on the top of the top rate for night out money.
Do you not get lunch money or is it all part of your 26 quid
It’s a sad world when people spend 24 hours a day 4 or 5 days a week away for 26 quid for a 24 hour shift
I rest my case

I’ve a feeling you don’t know many/any non lorry drivers who travel for work do you? You’ve a very rose tinted view of how it works for them that’s for sure. Trust me some would love a law saying they need 9 off (let alone 11) as they trapse through yet another airport in the middle of the night traveling to the next meeting.

switchlogic:
I’ve a feeling you don’t know many/any non lorry drivers who travel for work do you? You’ve a very rose tinted view of how it works for them that’s for sure. Trust me some would love a law saying they need 9 off (let alone 11) as they trapse through yet another airport in the middle of the night traveling to the next meeting.

I for one would second this and speaking from great experience!!

nightline:
Lets look at the facts

Yep I had that last week, a Premier Inn in N.Wales, BUT I don’t get my lunch paid for and because they put me in a hotel I don’t get my £25 :laughing:

Also because I started the next day at 6am as I was behind schedule I missed all you can eat breakfast as it starts at 6:30am. :frowning: