Tramping versus Home Every Night

I have nothing against nights out, or those that do them. Respect to all. I’m just at a stage in life where I don’t want to do them.

Things may change in the future. Right now, I don’t need the money, my (for all purposes) part time wage is sufficient for me. That’s not likely to change, BUT as I posted previously, my daughter comes off license at the end of July, and may very likely move home with us. That happens and I won’t want to be home as much as possible. Like I say, things change. At the moment I come home to peace and quiet, therefore I want to be home as much as possible.

johnteller:
I have nothing against nights out, or those that do them. Respect to all. I’m just at a stage in life where I don’t want to do them.

Things may change in the future. Right now, I don’t need the money, my (for all purposes) part time wage is sufficient for me.

It’s not necessary the money aspect. Some of us want to get more then 4.5hrs down the road and instead of dropping off a trailer at the port want to get on the boat with it ha :sunglasses:

mark1284:
4 nights without ■■■

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends entirely on where you park! :wink:

the maoster:

mark1284:
4 nights without ■■■

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends entirely on where you park! :wink:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
having ■■■ with your misses might be ok,but you can never beat the real thing… :wink:

Tramping doesn’t appeal to me but I’d do an odd night out, but in this job an 11 hour day is a long one.

Conor:

mrginge:
The panic/stress of a day person when they might run out of time compared to the tramper thinking about which pub to park up near.

Yeah terrible getting home every night having a nice shower and warm cooked meal sitting in my comfy chair watching TV, going to the toilet in a nice clean bathroom before clambering into my own bed next to the missus. Much prefer to be in a layby ■■■■■■■■ in a bush being rocked by every passing vehicle, sitting there wondering if my curtains will still be intact and whether there’ll be enough fuel left in the tank to make it to the petrol station.

You’re hilariously predictable

Let’s face it, whether you’re away all week or home every night, the long hours driving a lorry involves means your family life suffers compared to someone with a regular 8hr shift or a 9-5 job, no matter how you dress it up.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I’m fortunate enough to have a day job where I never really worry about hours and get home in time most nights to cook a meal, sit down with the missus and generally do ‘normal’ stuff, so for me that beats tramping hands down.

However, a lot of day guys pretty much arrive home with time to warm their tea up in the microwave, shower & sleep only, having been run ragged all day. In which case, there is a lot to be said for just staying in the cab, earning more and getting more kip.

Only had two nights out within the last fortnight.

Some weeks, I’m doing locals (NE England) and Scotland from Teesport, so one or two nights out. Other weeks, I’m tramping out of Hull or Killingholme.

Did first n/o of the week last night.
Ran me time out for 7 hours o/t.
Will be tipped in Yarmouth in the next 10 mins…then all that stands between me and the weekend…is 157 miles and one fried breakfast :sunglasses:

commonrail:
Did first n/o of the week last night.
Ran me time out for 7 hours o/t.
Will be tipped in Yarmouth in the next 10 mins…then all that stands between me and the weekend…is 157 miles and one fried breakfast :sunglasses:

Same for me. Well same principle.

Currently waiting to get into a sawmill at Dalbeattie to tip off the last six pallets after blasting out the bulk of the work yesterday. From here it’s back up to the A75, collect a load of compost on the way through then a steady 200 saunter back to the yard.

All done :sunglasses:

1 or 2 a week suits me fine, kids are still young so still get to see them growing up and then catch up on lost sleep when I stay out… It’s usually a Thursday so it’s normally a nice steady run back with a few jobs on the way!

I’m 3,500 miles into a 6,000 mile trip, which as you can imagine has meant a few nights in the cab, with a few more to come. I’m taking a few days off when I finally get home, but I’m still going to be very busy, busy doing SFA.

That’s proper tramping.

newmercman:
Let’s face it, whether you’re away all week or home every night, the long hours driving a lorry involves means your family life suffers compared to someone with a regular 8hr shift or a 9-5 job, no matter how you dress it up.

100% This!

I’ve had times stressing about this career trying to please everyone and keep the family happy…
Went from paye to being LTD just to earn more to be home every night and spending all the time with the kids and wife, but i found myself working all the weekends and bank holidays as it was the higher rate and having to save for holiday pay and sickness, now i’m back PAYE tramping monday to friday and partly stress free… just had the bank hols off first time in 4 years!!

Whats works for one doesn’t work for another, I’m happy tramping as fighting to get home every night is stressful when something goes wrong on the road and when you tell the better half “ill be home at this time i reckon” and then bang blow out of traffic jam, just easier to do your hours and then park up.