Tramping - food?

Meat feast you bloody heathen! ^^^ and yes, delivered straight to my drivers door on an industrial estate in Sharston.

amazon.co.uk/Ride-Compact-D … B0042EYQ3W

I can’t see how you can’t cook in a cab, I assure you , some tinned food is ok, get carrots, peas sweet corn, use these little ovens better and safer then gas bottles imo … and you can have a nice meal … I never did tramping full time I did it for 1 whole week prepared, and once I got the hang of it … as much as I hated being away from my wife and daughter, it was actually pleasant and easy … if it was a modern truck not a beat up old Daf, no phone charger working etc … would of been better,. You make of it what you can. If I did it today, I think I would embrace it and love the open road.

the maoster:
Meat feast you bloody heathen!.

Meat feast … it looks like result of the Imodium not working quick enough for one of the kitchen staff who made it

peirre:

the maoster:

Meat feast … it looks like result of the Imodium not working quick enough for one of the kitchen staff who made it

Or what my dog chucks up if she eats her dinner to fast [emoji2961]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about having a shower/shave when your having a break during the day, that will cut down on the water bowser that you appear to be towing behind you, I’m away all week and 10L will last me near on a week [emoji54][emoji54]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

jessejazza:
Thank you for your replies… some not so kindly in tone.

I’m probably not doing as badly as I thought. As for shopping whilst out I must do longer hours than some of you. I did stop by a Tesco Extra on Sunday and could have gone in but that was only because that delivery was for Mon 0700 and I’d been given plenty of time that day to do the 300+ mile trip. The Class 1 jobs I have had have been a 13+ hour day… possible to stop and shop if one knows an area. This firm are on Snap which if like my local one have a Spar next door but that’s not so common.

Much depends on cab space I think - my truck is a Scania R450 no fridge. So my electric coolbox takes up space as does carrying water. My gas burner is a catering outdoor cast iron type with gas bottle which also takes up space but I think I will try the 7kg bottles. Microwaves I find fine for warming up but not so good for cooking fresh veg in. If anything what I find frustrating is the lack of space in a cab.

Most folk seem to stop and go straight to bed so I can only presume they take a longer break earlier and have food then.

don’t know the scania, I have a merc actros with fridge and quite lot of space. no inverter yet after nearly 18 months tramping (so I went through a full winter season with no problems using just my kettle).

I am trying an healthy diet as well, I use to store in the dry cupboards: tuna, soups, pot noodle, some healthy crackers (i’ll try to avoid bread as longer as I can hehehe), a lot of fruits. in the fridge: again fruits, yogurts, salads, milk, cooked ham, cheese, vegetables cooked at home such as green beans, broccoli, etc. some fish and meat that I have cooked at home. for the meat I bought on amazon a device to warm it.

When I can, I try to have some walks during my breaks and I good hour walk when I stop for the night.

maybe I forgot something, but for my little experience it’s worth it a try. can’t say you’ll loose weight however I hope you don’t get fatter.

peirre:

the maoster:

Is it the first time you’ve seen a pizza? :wink:

Mac74:

jessejazza:
Thank you for your replies… some not so kindly in tone.

I’m probably not doing as badly as I thought. As for shopping whilst out I must do longer hours than some of you. I did stop by a Tesco Extra on Sunday and could have gone in but that was only because that delivery was for Mon 0700 and I’d been given plenty of time that day to do the 300+ mile trip. The Class 1 jobs I have had have been a 13+ hour day… possible to stop and shop if one knows an area. This firm are on Snap which if like my local one have a Spar next door but that’s not so common.

Much depends on cab space I think - my truck is a Scania R450 no fridge. So my electric coolbox takes up space as does carrying water. My gas burner is a catering outdoor cast iron type with gas bottle which also takes up space but I think I will try the 7kg bottles. Microwaves I find fine for warming up but not so good for cooking fresh veg in. If anything what I find frustrating is the lack of space in a cab.

Most folk seem to stop and go straight to bed so I can only presume they take a longer break earlier and have food then.

don’t know the scania, I have a merc actros with fridge and quite lot of space. no inverter yet after nearly 18 months tramping (so I went through a full winter season with no problems using just my kettle).

I am trying an healthy diet as well, I use to store in the dry cupboards: tuna, soups, pot noodle, some healthy crackers (i’ll try to avoid bread as longer as I can hehehe), a lot of fruits. in the fridge: again fruits, yogurts, salads, milk, cooked ham, cheese, vegetables cooked at home such as green beans, broccoli, etc. some fish and meat that I have cooked at home. for the meat I bought on amazon a device to warm it.

When I can, I try to have some walks during my breaks and I good hour walk when I stop for the night.

maybe I forgot something, but for my little experience it’s worth it a try. can’t say you’ll loose weight however I hope you don’t get fatter.

I think I will try one of those ovens… after all quite easy to plug in on a break and get something ready for when one gets to the night stop.

Like you I try and get a good walk but that depends where one stops. When folk say driver tiredness I find I am tired from the driving position rather than from just concentrating on the road. Anyway the job is going fine so I am pleased.

My tea tonight sweet n sour pork and rice
Cooked at home then reheated in my microwave

Here’s mine.
Cooked in the pub kitchen eaten in the bar. :sunglasses:

robroy:
Here’s mine.

Ido hope that glass is going to be refilled at least once [emoji6]

blue estate:

robroy:
Here’s mine.

Ido hope that glass is going to be refilled at least once [emoji6]

Nah, there’s a bloke in here threatening to ‘report’ me. :open_mouth:
(There ain’t really, but it seems to be the new trend on here to make stories up :laughing: )

Healthy choice I notice:
it’s sun tanned bread!
[emoji3]

If your that bothered about your health, don’t work for a company that pushes 15 hr shifts on you?

9 hours off to get some excercise, decent food and your 7-8 hours recommended kip.

Yep sometimes 9 off suits me, and I’ll be happy to have a pot noodle or a Big Soup- I always did prioritise sleep over food anyway… but If i did that every week I’d find myself standing atop Thelwall Viaduct contemplating my life choices after a while.

robroy:

Scraggy88:
Was chatting to a driver over the radio a few months ago and he somehow installed a bbq grill on his passenger seat and cooked that way with a full size propane bottle in the footwell :laughing:

Little bit too much for me and I wouldn’t want to be cleaning fat splatter off the seats and dash every day

I reckon a few splatterings of fat ain’t the biggest thing to worry about. :neutral_face:

I remember that fire last year, Downton on m6 near Coventry, hours of delays

Thanks for all your replies and I’ve explored at bit further. I must say I find M&S is great for me - most Moto services. I don’t get much luck with truck stops it seems - the longer oner does the job the easier it gets knowing ‘haunts’ to stop at. I don’t have a microwave or fridge which does not make things easy.

Wheel Nut:
If all you are buying is processed food you would be better using a Spar or Subway for food, it’s fresh with healthy choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subway is not fresh.
Freshly made maybe

I do on average 2-3 nights out per week. No issue in a smaller cab, my cab also has double bunks for the occasional double driver run, so less room again. Have a microwave on inverter and a waeco 30l fridge. I take frozen leftovers from meals at home in takeaway containers and chuck in fridge. 5 mins in micro and done. Dirt cheap and you know what’s in it too. Fruit, sarnies in the fridge keep all week. Then a few tins of soup etc if out of food. Fridge lives on pass seat and microwave on a shelf I’ve made. Very easy with a bit of planning to have enough food for more than a week if need arose (like stranded in snow etc)

I do have to ask - Why are you tramping in a truck with no fridge in it ? At the very least any decent company worth working for would provide a fridge in the cab for a driver working away all week . If no built in fridge would they consider buying you a proper compresor fridge / freezer type coolbox? - even try to strike a deal where they buy it for you and deduct the money from your pay over 6/12 months that way you can get a decent size box that can hold a weeks food . 23 years ago I had a 21 lt coolbox - filled it with cooked ham , chicken , roast beef slices , cheese and milk on a Sunday and took a couple of loaves of bread and rolls with me . A few hot breakfasts from the chuck wagons and all I needed was more fresh milk and bread through the week. Now I have the fridge / freezer in the truck with a 3000 watt inverter with a microwave , kettle , toaster and the tv with the amazon firestick. Batch cook food at home ,portion it up and freeze it ,and take it with me for the week braised steak , a sheperds pies , savoury mice and pasta bakes so theres always a choice of evening meal . Usually for less than a bucket of chicken from the services . That said a pub meal in the evening when parked up is nice as well. A few tins of soup , packets of porridge and microwave rice mean theres always a quick and easy meal available .

halfords.com/motoring/trave … 91077.html
got one of these for 90 quid i makes a cassroles or spag bol freeze them then take work with me monday.other weeks buy the supermarket fresh mash pies and cooked chicken in packets.heat it all up in microwave while i do paperwork soon knock a meal up in 20 mins no problem.also have a plastic box which has tinned veg in and jars of hot dogs in to plus a large container of water to use when heating up veg in microwave.have the odd chippy or kfc now again but ive got enough for at least 4 nights proper meals and pot noddles if ive already eaten most of it and stuck where i can not get to a takeway. ill not use the apps as im not paying someone to deliver it if i can walk it in 5/10 mins away