Train Freiburg - Navara

I used it in my own motor last year, main reason was I worked it out as being slightly cheaper and the added bonus of getting a full break in while technically still travelling. I think that is the only reason to use it. If you find any Brits on it you will be lucky (I was the only one on a full train) & the Eastern Europeans seemed to pretty much drink themselves into a coma! The Italian drivers were friendly and didn’t drink as much. If I had known more I think I would have had a bottle of wine myself before trying to sleep on the overnite from Freiburg as sleeping is nigh on impossible (but I would suspect you would get used to it). Good experience but not one I would look forward to again if I had to do it. Very strict on the 4m height limit. My load was very close to it on the return leg! 550 euros each leg.

BTW, I had a fully sheeted flat and although they were not as fussy in Germany I had a heck of a job trying to convince them to let me on in Italy for the return leg. Left Germany going backwards @ 60mph and of course the wind soon got under my front sheet (cos I always put the rear sheet on first, if you follow?). I will tell more if anyone is interested?

lakesidelee:
I used it in my own motor last year, main reason was I worked it out as being slightly cheaper and the added bonus of getting a full break in while technically still travelling. I think that is the only reason to use it. If you find any Brits on it you will be lucky (I was the only one on a full train) & the Eastern Europeans seemed to pretty much drink themselves into a coma! The Italian drivers were friendly and didn’t drink as much. If I had known more I think I would have had a bottle of wine myself before trying to sleep on the overnite from Freiburg as sleeping is nigh on impossible (but I would suspect you would get used to it). Good experience but not one I would look forward to again if I had to do it. Very strict on the 4m height limit. My load was very close to it on the return leg! 550 euros each leg.

BTW, I had a fully sheeted flat and although they were not as fussy in Germany I had a heck of a job trying to convince them to let me on in Italy for the return leg. Left Germany going backwards @ 60mph and of course the wind soon got under my front sheet (cos I always put the rear sheet on first, if you follow?). I will tell more if anyone is interested?

Yeh that would be a problem if the train takes you backwards. Did the sheets survive the journey ? Could you see the trailer from the coach ? Must have been a worry.

First I knew of it was when train stopped and the driver came into the drivers car (which is at the other end of the train) shouting out my reg number! A couple of extra straps were required and a bit of rejigging of the sheet and it wasn’t a problem for the rest of the journey. If i had known we were going backwards at speed i would have sheeted accordingly but you tend to do it for your direction of travel :slight_smile: I wasnt popular with the other drivers after the half hour delay but if you dont know you cant prepare for it

I knew for the return leg but as was the train went the right way on the way back! Every days a school day eh?

lakesidelee:
First I knew of it was when train stopped and the driver came into the drivers car (which is at the other end of the train) shouting out my reg number! A couple of extra straps were required and a bit of rejigging of the sheet and it wasn’t a problem for the rest of the journey. If i had known we were going backwards at speed i would have sheeted accordingly but you tend to do it for your direction of travel :slight_smile: I wasnt popular with the other drivers after the half hour delay but if you dont know you cant prepare for it

I knew for the return leg but as was the train went the right way on the way back! Every days a school day eh?

Bloody difficult to sheet a load for Both directions of travel. It must have been like a windsock. Ha ja I can imagine the po faced drivers look.

Yeah, the sheet did bellow out somewhat, I have a photo of the load somewhere, I will try and post it.

The real problem is the trains are overhead electric supply so you can imagine the worry of the sheets touching the power lines! :imp:

lakesidelee:
I wasnt popular with the other drivers after the half hour delay

If the other drivers were so concerned by the delay, they should have got off their arses and lent a hand :laughing:

Simon:

lakesidelee:
I wasnt popular with the other drivers after the half hour delay

If the other drivers were so concerned by the delay, they should have got off their arses and lent a hand :laughing:

I doubt many would know one end of a sheet from the other Simon.

Ha ha, I did get some strange looks with the sheeted flat, I didnt spot anyone else running flats (on the train that is). Yes I would very much doubt that any of the other drivers would have known anything about roping and sheeting, I am no pro by all means but it did make me smile when a couple of Irish lads come up to me in Lux on the way back to congratulate me on a tidy job :slight_smile: Good old Grandad, he taught me well!

Bit peeved that I cant get the photo up of the load :frowning: but I will keep trying

Nearly there with the photo

:smiley:

Upside down pics !! Was it in oz ■■

Only kidding.

That looks like a tidy job of sheeting :sunglasses:

I agree but I wonder if Bewick would ? :wink:

lakesidelee:

lakesidelee:

What happened? did it shrink?

Did it shrink! Love it!

My fault I have put the photos in the wrong order, the smaller load was on the way out and the larger load was the one I was coming home with, 24 ton of rubber out and 18 ton of pre fabricated bathrooms that I took to a new Hilton hotel in Birmingham