Trailor brake use in a port

cooper1203:
where all the tyres like that ^^^^^

Yes. 4 of. Not worth posting 4 pics.
Made it a full junction down the M1 before the red line came off (probably didn’t twist the collar). Then made it from lane 2 to the hard shoulder pretty quickly. But best advice is don’t try to slow down too quickly or it’ll come round on you

The majority of trailers I worked on before starting driving for a living had spring chambers on each axle, tri axle, tandem axle, only time I didnt see them was in the case of lift axles or rear steers and ancient stuff. Granted that was in the past 15 years. All trailers are piped up differently. Automatic park brakes are good things imo. It’s easy to say when you have a wealth of experience that only a fool leaves the unit park brake off and its true lol bet everyone here has done it though.

stu675:

cooper1203:
where all the tyres like that ^^^^^

Yes. 4 of. Not worth posting 4 pics.
Made it a full junction down the M1 before the red line came off (probably didn’t twist the collar). Then made it from lane 2 to the hard shoulder pretty quickly. But best advice is don’t try to slow down too quickly or it’ll come round on you

poor you i would be having a brown trouser moment if that happened to me.

The reason i was asking was i had to pick a tri axel trailor up the other night and only one tyre was like that. even its mate opersite wasnt damaged. looks like they changed the others and not that one for some reason.

I can confirm on my outfit, only the steer axle has standard chambers, the other 5 are all sprung type…bang goes my supposition (wrong again :smiley: ) about leaving one axle able to rotate for directional stability.
Checked another make of trailer near enough same age as mine and only the rear two axles had spring brake chambers, someone mentioned lift axles and yes i seem to recall similar, but no this one was built new without a lifter.

Juddian:
I can confirm on my outfit, only the steer axle has standard chambers, the other 5 are all sprung type…bang goes my supposition (wrong again :smiley: ) about leaving one axle able to rotate for directional stability.
Checked another make of trailer near enough same age as mine and only the rear two axles had spring brake chambers, someone mentioned lift axles and yes i seem to recall similar, but no this one was built new without a lifter.

Never really understood that if its not a lift or steer. Peanuts weight saving really. They were usually the axles without abs.

cooper1203:

poor you i would be having a brown trouser moment if that happened to me.

It wasn’t really scary, just a puzzle as to what was causing the definite drag. It didn’t come round on me too much. That’s quite good parking for me [emoji6]
What was a lot more scary was doing it on a motorbike (my luggage came loose and jammed back wheel) was all fine fish tailing behind me until I applied the front brake whereupon it whipped round on me and threw me in the ditch.

stu675:
What was a lot more scary was doing it on a motorbike (my luggage came loose and jammed back wheel) was all fine fish tailing behind me until I applied the front brake whereupon it whipped round on me and threw me in the ditch.

“Insecure load, driver?” :smiley:

Simon:

stu675:

Back before I was ‘professional’ [emoji33][emoji1787]

stu675:

Simon:

stu675:

Back before I was ‘professional’ [emoji33][emoji1787]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Always apply the park brake …Always. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If something goes wrong YOU have done your job correctly.

Tip of the day: if anyone gives you grief about,applying the brake,ignore them. :smiley: