Trader--v-- TK--v-- BMC which was the best one

rastone:
Just take your hand off the gear lever in neutral and you’ll get the right gear.It works

Tony

Sorry if you thought I was being sarcy as we all know we have to be in neutral but the gear lever moves across on its own, say in line with the gears you want so no need to be a struggle.Difficult to demonsrate with out the motor.

Tony

Carryfast:

windrush:
Blimey, we are discussing cruising around the Med now. :open_mouth: And SOMEBODY complained earlier about D series Fords and BMC Laird’s being off topic… :confused:

Pete.

Look at it like a holiday from a boring job in the lowest dregs of the industry driving an S type,TK,or an FG.It all reminds me of being a council driver again. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

You said it “CF” so you must identify with it as an ex Council Walla ! Cheers Bewick.

well gingerfold if you had to remove the tk cab it was because of driver abuse, Bedford knew every thing you needed was at your finger tips, keep it all topped up and it all worked fine even the oil leaks were a design feature so the driver remembered to check it, the air escaping after releasing the brakes were to attract the attention of young ladies if you could not whistle yourself, the heavy steering was to stop the younger lads pinching the only truck in the yard with a working heater, and as for the gaffers, under three ton empty with a seven ton payload on a car license bring it on.

Bedford KE under 3 tons ULW and we used to put 7/8 tons onto it with no problems, as my younger brother was a steady driver and this Bedford was his “Baby” ! 5 speed box and 45 gal tank, the world was his oyster ! the motor never put a foot wrong while we ran it ! Cheers Bewick.

I can only comment on the TK as I never had anything to do with the others. I drove a fair number in the sixties all running at 14ton gross, flats and tippers and cannot remember any serious issues other than the four speed box’s syncros were pretty soft. Use to nip the halfshaft bolts up pretty regular on the tippers,all that rosting backwards and forwards.The 2 speed axle did’nt seem to reguire that attention as often but that air change was iffy. Looked after and not abused other than running over the design weight,a reasonable lorry in its day in my humble opinion. :smiley: Mike

windrush:
Blimey, we are discussing cruising around the Med now. :open_mouth: And SOMEBODY complained earlier about D series Fords and BMC Laird’s being off topic… :confused:

Pete.

Sorry Pete.I have a habit of doing this.As my school reports " Must do better "

I don’t suppose you will be going to Lupin show next Sunday

Tony

Some of the Bedfords we had over the years. We found them ideal for our use. Reliable and spares readily available when necessary.

Tyneside

rastone:

windrush:

Pete.

Sorry Pete.I have a habit of doing this.As my school reports " Must do better "

I don’t suppose you will be going to Lupin show next Sunday

Tony

No Tony, we will be at Lincoln Steam Rally. Had a nice day today at the vintage show in Tissington, it gets larger each year.

Pete.

Speaking with my uncle tonight he’s never had a Bmc but says they went well , he say s the trader was ok but the brakes were very poor and the tk was the best all round,softly sprung ,reliable ,he had one of the very first tk s with a rotary pump on which went a lot better than the inline ones .JRF271B had 330 engine a 5 sp box and a Bedford axle which he removed and fitted a Eaton 2 speed axle,it came new with good year higher miler tyres which were hard wall not radials which lasted 32,000 miles ,tubby at rush green motors Leicester bought the 2 yr old axle .

You wouldn’t have thought that “Softly sprung” was an advantage if you carried nine-high loads of straw bales around Wales! One of my workmates asked the fitter if he could fit stabilisers to his TK. :unamused:

Think I’ll go for the Trader as the toughest cookie of the trio especially after the way they dealt with the armoured van in the film Payroll, just look at that bulbar on the front! Mind I doubt if they made many friends doing a lane change on a busy Tyne Bridge. Good old film to try and catch it was shown on telly a few weeks ago and out on DVD now I believe.
Franky.

MPW-59319.jpg

Img_5967.jpg

Frankydobo:
Think I’ll go for the Trader as the toughest cookie of the trio especially after the way they dealt with the armoured van in the film Payroll, just look at that bulbar on the front! Mind I doubt if they made many friends doing a lane change on a busy Tyne Bridge. Good old film to try and catch it was shown on telly a few weeks ago and out on DVD now I believe.
Franky.

Hi Franky, This is a blast from the past, It was a good film plus it was in the Toon Area, IIRC The Trader was one of Bambroughs from Chester le Street, I will have to get the DVD & Watch it again, Thanks for posting this great stuff from the good old days, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Frankydobo:
Franky.

Hi Franky, This is a blast from the past, It was a good film plus it was in the Toon Area, IIRC The Trader was one of Bambroughs from Chester le Street, I will have to get the DVD & Watch it again, Thanks for posting this great stuff from the good old days, Regards Larry.

Love the ‘Clippie’ hanging onto the pole on the double decker! At my primary school, Oxford Street in Barrow, the braver kids - not me, too shy - used to beg a ticket roll and then trail it around the playground - 1952 or 1953.

John.

So bringing this thread to a sensible close, what is the general consensus as to which of the three marques was the best ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
So bringing this thread to a sensible close, what is the general consensus as to which of the three marques was the best ? Cheers Bewick.

Can only say that I’d put the WE/F ahead of the TK and even the FG and R/S type Bedford marginally ahead of the TK. :wink:

Has to be the Bedford, the poxy things are still in service in quite substantial numbers. Cant say the same for the others.

Bob

TK for me…KM wasn’t bad on locals

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bewick:

So it seems that the TK has come out as the winner which is fair enough I would say ! TK TK TK TK !! Cheers Bewick.

OK for “boys” who hadn’t found their way around a constant mesh gearbox! :unamused: