Tractor unit park brake query

merc actros will
not seen many volvos with no park brake on the steer/ front axle for a while apart from my b reg f6

My first memory of a broms brake was on an F86 but on an F7 I was told it was a diverter valve that charged the trailer tanks and main reservoir first before charging the secondary tanks for the clutch and range change pressure.

Do you remember the little orange button with the safety catch, it was supposed to help the engine warm up quicker and stop it smoking that typically Volvo white smoke by setting the exhaust brake partially.

Many thanks for the replies and information, very useful.

The reason for the query; the yard has a slope towards the bay doors, so once on a bay the whole of the truck is, in effect going up hill from the bay door, however we are now required to place a chock behind one of the wheels to stop it rolling up hill! :confused: So if the park brake did fail which way would it roll; towards the bay which it’s already on, just seems a little bit over the top. Unless of course I’m completely wrong. :blush:

Harry Monk:
No, and although I am probably disadvantaged in that I have nearly always driven Volvos, I have driven other makes of tractor unit and I am struggling to think of any in which applying the tractor unit handbrake applied the trailer brakes.

XF DAF and MAN/ERF are two.

Regards,
Nick.

teatree:
Many thanks for the replies and information, very useful.

The reason for the query; the yard has a slope towards the bay doors, so once on a bay the whole of the truck is, in effect going up hill from the bay door, however we are now required to place a chock behind one of the wheels to stop it rolling up hill! :confused: So if the park brake did fail which way would it roll; towards the bay which it’s already on, just seems a little bit over the top. Unless of course I’m completely wrong. :blush:

Ahhh, its yer elf and safety mate, accident prevention and risk assessment and all that means you’ve got to cover for all eventualities, imagine a massive failure of the earths gravity, the truck may roll away from the bay doors, lethal mate :unamused: .

teatree:
however we are now required to place a chock behind one of the wheels to stop it rolling up hill!

You need to have a word with your H&S bod, the chock should be in FRONT of the wheel to stop it rolling uphill :wink:

My stralis used to lock the trailer brakes when applied. I think you can tell when the handbrake is on and you try to connect the yellow airline when hooking up, its pressurised…

redboxer850:

teatree:
however we are now required to place a chock behind one of the wheels to stop it rolling up hill!

You need to have a word with your H&S bod, the chock should be in FRONT of the wheel to stop it rolling uphill :wink:

CHOCS ■■? gimme a box of milk tray any day, use the hard centres for the wheels and eat the rest… simples !!!

Beetie:
My stralis used to lock the trailer brakes when applied. I think you can tell when the handbrake is on and you try to connect the yellow airline when hooking up, its pressurised…

So that’s Iveco, DAF and MAN all do apply the trailer brake, just Volvo and Scania that don’t.
What about Renault?

Regards,
Nick

ncooper:

Beetie:

So that’s Iveco, DAF and MAN all do apply the trailer brake, just Volvo and Scania that don’t.
What about Renault?

Regards,
Nick

Yes Renault do :smiley:

Steve