Tractor Unit on Private HGV questions

truckman020:
iv’e seen quite a few show vehicles on the road over the years and everyone of them have either removed the 5th wheel or built a metal box around said 5th wheel,as we all know it’s just to show you are not using the vehicle for business if pulled by police or DVSA

They are often the ones claiming mot exemption and reregisted as mobile plant to drive on a car licence .

TheNewBoy:

Colingl:
Well I’m reading it as you suggesting it can only be used go to certain locations i.e a showground. Which is nonsense.
Everything else you say is correct. :wink:

I used that scenario as that would be its main use, but you could go to Tesco to do your shopping in it if you wish

I did do that, but it was more useful for trips to B&Q. :laughing: :laughing:

mikeyb:
Hi all,

This isn’t the usual question about running a unit on a class C blah blah whether you can or not, I know you can.

My question is this, a lot of drivers have told me that to run a tractor unit as a private hgv you need to remove or disable (lock off etc) the fifth wheel.

Is this bunkum? a myth? or is there some rule somewhere?

I plan to be showing my soon to be acquired Leyland Roadtrain (low datum 4x2) on the rally circuit so not commercial use.

Also is there any need to downplate when retaxing as a private hgv? I can’t see any benefit in it myself as private hgv is £165 regardless of MAM.
The only benefit I can see is if it was still being used commercially.

And finally,

As the vehicle is 1985 and its private and not being used for anything other than attending shows, do I need to use the tachograph?? I know you need to have it calibrated as a one off, is that it?

Many thanks
Mike

I was told by a VOSA inspector that if u remove the 5th wheel then that’s fine on a Class 2 licence. If it’s left on the capability of towing is still there and u have no licence for it (Class 1needed).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1962bikerboy:
I was told by a VOSA inspector that if u remove the 5th wheel then that’s fine on a Class 2 licence. If it’s left on the capability of towing is still there and u have no licence for it (Class 1needed).

Complete nonsense, to drive an artic unit without a trailer you need a cat C licence, in fact you could drive an artic unit pulling a trailer up-to 750kg with a cat C licence.

1962bikerboy:

Old pre 1997 HGV rules I think

bullitt:
, even a rosette “could” be considered a reward. You would “possibly” therefore in be in contravention of the regs.

Rosettes for hire and reward. That’ll be stobarts next step :laughing:

Piston broke:

tachograph:

Blue rock:
I realise this thread is nearly 8 year old, but I’m looking into getting a tractor
Unit to drive and show. Not for hire or reward but simply for fun. I’m also only looking at maybe a
10 year old truck. Does anyone have any advice as I’m a complete novice.
Also at the mo I only have a class 2 but don’t want to pull a trailer. Any advice would
Be a great help like what to do about ref as a phgv, mot’s, road tax!

As said you can drive an artic unit on a cat C licence, but you cannot pull a trailer of any size without coming in-scope of EU regulations (A trailer is classed as goods).

• As the vehicle will never carry goods other than the drivers personal belongings you will be out of scope of EU regulations.
  • As the vehicle will not be used for hire or reward you will be out of scope of UK domestic regulations.
  • As you will be out of scope of regulations you will not not need to use a tachograph.
  • You will not need an operators licence.
  • Because you will be driving the vehicle privately the driving of the vehicle will not encroach of your driving/work hours.

I’ve no idea whether or not the vehicle needs to be fitted with a calibrated speed limiter.

I’ve just been through this but with a six wheel rigid, not a tractor unit so I have no idea about the trailer towing legalities…but I do have a few answers…

You definitely need to MOT it.
You definitely need a working speed limiter (depending on the age of the truck - pre 1987 is exempt I believe)
You definitely need a six year calibration certificate (I have been told that, as a private HGV, if the two year check has been missed it will only be marked as an advisory at MOT - from a VERY reliable source but always worth checking…)
Tax is, as has been said, £165 a year.
Limits on your annual mileage is between you and your insurance company - they will ask, you decide. From my own experience, it is very little expense to increase the mileage substantially.
Personally, I put a chart in for every journey - I have no idea if it’s a legal requirement, I choose to because then I have a record of mileage for the insurance company and a record of everything else should anything go wrong…

Get one, enjoy it, have fun but be prepared to be constantly skint!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Hi all I’m on the same boat, I am looking to show a 2002 scania 164 unit that will be restored and done up and used as a show lorry only, I’m finding it very hard to find a company that will insure the unit as its not 20 years old ( classic) I’ve tried nfu as I don’t have any other dealings with them they won’t quote me… Does anyone know of any insurance companies that will insured it for shows/truck runs etc? All help welcome thanks

Nedt123:

Piston broke:

tachograph:

Blue rock:
I realise this thread is nearly 8 year old, but I’m looking into getting a tractor
Unit to drive and show. Not for hire or reward but simply for fun. I’m also only looking at maybe a
10 year old truck. Does anyone have any advice as I’m a complete novice.
Also at the mo I only have a class 2 but don’t want to pull a trailer. Any advice would
Be a great help like what to do about ref as a phgv, mot’s, road tax!

As said you can drive an artic unit on a cat C licence, but you cannot pull a trailer of any size without coming in-scope of EU regulations (A trailer is classed as goods).

• As the vehicle will never carry goods other than the drivers personal belongings you will be out of scope of EU regulations.
  • As the vehicle will not be used for hire or reward you will be out of scope of UK domestic regulations.
  • As you will be out of scope of regulations you will not not need to use a tachograph.
  • You will not need an operators licence.
  • Because you will be driving the vehicle privately the driving of the vehicle will not encroach of your driving/work hours.

I’ve no idea whether or not the vehicle needs to be fitted with a calibrated speed limiter.

I’ve just been through this but with a six wheel rigid, not a tractor unit so I have no idea about the trailer towing legalities…but I do have a few answers…

You definitely need to MOT it.
You definitely need a working speed limiter (depending on the age of the truck - pre 1987 is exempt I believe)
You definitely need a six year calibration certificate (I have been told that, as a private HGV, if the two year check has been missed it will only be marked as an advisory at MOT - from a VERY reliable source but always worth checking…)
Tax is, as has been said, £165 a year.
Limits on your annual mileage is between you and your insurance company - they will ask, you decide. From my own experience, it is very little expense to increase the mileage substantially.
Personally, I put a chart in for every journey - I have no idea if it’s a legal requirement, I choose to because then I have a record of mileage for the insurance company and a record of everything else should anything go wrong…

Get one, enjoy it, have fun but be prepared to be constantly skint!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Hi all I’m on the same boat, I am looking to show a 2002 scania 164 unit that will be restored and done up and used as a show lorry only, I’m finding it very hard to find a company that will insure the unit as its not 20 years old ( classic) I’ve tried nfu as I don’t have any other dealings with them they won’t quote me… Does anyone know of any insurance companies that will insured it for shows/truck runs etc? All help welcome thanks

I’m with Footman James, who I’ve found to be very good, amenable and helpful - cheaper than my car to insure too! :smiley:

Mine is (slightly) over 20 years old though so you will have to ask the question…

Good luck and keep us posted :slight_smile:

Hi all,

This isn’t the usual question about running a unit on a class C blah blah whether you can or not, I know you can.

My question is this, a lot of drivers have told me that to run a tractor unit as a private hgv you need to remove or disable (lock off etc) the fifth wheel.

Is this bunkum? a myth? or is there some rule somewhere?

I plan to be showing my soon to be acquired Leyland Roadtrain (low datum 4x2) on the rally circuit so not commercial use.

Also is there any need to downplate when retaxing as a private hgv? I can’t see any benefit in it myself as private hgv is £165 regardless of MAM.
The only benefit I can see is if it was still being used commercially.

And finally,

As the vehicle is 1985 and its private and not being used for anything other than attending shows, do I need to use the tachograph?? I know you need to have it calibrated as a one off, is that it?

Many thanks
Mike

im guessing any rule regarding removal of the fifth wheel is all myth. it certain is when it applies to anything else. is is just a towhitch after all.

Downrating it to under 7.5 tonnes will exempt it from needing tachos and may give a lower tax banding but i’m not sure on that point.

I think most cover the fifth wheel plate on such private units so it looks better rather than for legal purposes - if I remember correctly, Chris Eubank has a metal cover over his…

There was another post on this subject some time ago - not sure where it was though…

still need a tacho in vans over 3.5T rog :exclamation:

mikeyb:
As the vehicle is 1985 and its private and not being used for anything other than attending shows, do I need to use the tachograph??

If it’s over 7.5t then yes regardless of the fact it’s private use.

mrpj:

mikeyb:
As the vehicle is 1985 and its private and not being used for anything other than attending shows, do I need to use the tachograph??

Hmm, Croner guide says this

“Complete exemption from the regulations apply to drivers of:
(a) vehicles used by the armed forces, police and fire brigades (other Crown vehicles are not exempt)
(b) vehicles driven completely off the public road system
(c) private driving, ie not connected with a job or earning a living.”

There is also a mention of historic vehicles. Bah, I’ll just use it anyhoo, :unamused:

mikeyb:

mrpj:

mikeyb:

Hmm, Croner guide says this

“Complete exemption from the regulations apply to drivers of:
(a) vehicles used by the armed forces, police and fire brigades (other Crown vehicles are not exempt)
(b) vehicles driven completely off the public road system
(c) private driving, ie not connected with a job or earning a living.”

There is also a mention of historic vehicles. Bah, I’ll just use it anyhoo, :unamused:

The above are domestic hour exemption rules :slight_smile:

I bet coffeeholic will be along soon with the regs than govern private LGVs :slight_smile:

joedwyer1:
still need a tacho in vans over 3.5T rog :exclamation:

No only vehicles over mgw of 7.5 mate

ROG:
I bet coffeeholic will be along soon with the regs than govern private LGVs :slight_smile:

I bet he won’t. I know nothing about private LGVs. :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

Not even the tacho regs that govern them :question:

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

Not even the tacho regs that govern them :question:

Nope, never affected me, or interested me, so not looked into them.