Towing wide loads with 3.5T van

Can’t see the problem here ,it reads to me the op wants a burger van trailer ?
If so there are a few tacho exemptions that can be used ,from memory they were distance and the drivers main activity plus towing vehicle type .

Punchy Dan:
Can’t see the problem here ,it reads to me the op wants a burger van trailer ?
If so there are a few tacho exemptions that can be used ,from memory they were distance and the drivers main activity plus towing vehicle type .

Hold tight, caryfest, and co will be along to explain the correct laws.

I though it was upto 3.5T gross weight excluding train weight. But if that is wrong then is an operaters licence required as well?

DuckDuck:
I though it was upto 3.5T gross weight excluding train weight. But if that is wrong then is an operaters licence required as well?

Just trawl through Carryfasts posts one day you will find it’s been done to the death !

Punchy Dan:

DuckDuck:

Just trawl through Carryfasts posts one day you will find it’s been done to the death !

Didn’t take long…

DuckDuck:

If you pull a second trailer, you’ll be exempt from all regulations.

DuckDuck:

weeto:
Well there is the issue of tacographs to think about.

But the weight is under 3.5T

Transit fueled & driver approx 2. 5t, big open trailer to take that sort of load 700kg to 1000kg, so you are pretty much at yr weight there, what’s the weight of the cabin? Couple of tons?

So someway over yr 3. 5t!

Might be some exemptions for your use, look it up.

the nodding donkey:

DuckDuck:

If you pull a second trailer, you’ll be exempt from all regulations.

Do you know anything about this tea wagon catering exemption?

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I drive a golf tdi can I tow a sprinter van if I buy a brian james car trailer I have b+e

TruckDriverBen:
Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I drive a golf tdi can I tow a sprinter van if I buy a brian james car trailer I have b+e

The fully loaded trailer can’t weigh more than the unladen (empty) weight of the vehicle, however.
gov.uk/vehicles-can-drive/y … nuary-1997

Franglais:

TruckDriverBen:

The fully loaded trailer can’t weigh more than the unladen (empty) weight of the vehicle, however.

Worship :grimacing:

Lets try to get it all straight for DuckDuck? Correct me if Im wrong on any of this.

DuckDuck wants to tow a wide caravan to a fixed site where it will be used as a tea or snack wagon?

The width is over 2.55m so needs marking, but is under 2.9m, so doesn`t need permits nor notice to police.

The weight of towing van, plus trailer, plus van is ■■?
If under 3.5 tons no problems at all, but this is unlikely.
Over 3.5ton a tacho may be needed.
gov.uk/tachographs/tachogra … t-vehicles

Assuming over 3.5ton but under 8.25ton weight for van plus trailer plus caravan.
If driving licence holder before 1997 OK, if passed car test after 1st Jan `97 then class C1 licence needed.
gov.uk/towing-rules

“EU rules apply if the maximum permissible weight of your vehicle or vehicle combination is more than 3.5 tonnes”
gov.uk/drivers-hours/goods-vehicles
But.
“vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of 7.5 tonnes or less that are used for carrying work equipment for the driver where the distance is less than 100km”
gov.uk/drivers-hours/exemptions-from-eu-law

So, if the van driver is really a chef or cook, and is just moving the caravan a short distance, they are exempt from EU regs.
If the van driver isn`t a chef etc, but moves goods and caravans, they are inside the EU rules.

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

TruckDriverBen:

Whoosh :grimacing:

Edited my post, to correct an errant auto-correct… :unamused: :unamused:

To throw a wrench amongst the mechanism, there are several extra wide shipping containers appearing on the UK roads, these are 11 feet 5 inches wide and either 40’ or 20’ long.

If you overtake one it looks like it is falling off the trailer, but it has two sets of twistlock castings, set at the normal position for a PSK, but then there are another set along the edge of the container. I have only seen Maritime pulling these, but they must be for a special project.

Any further information?

Franglais:
Lets try to get it all straight for DuckDuck? Correct me if Im wrong on any of this.

DuckDuck wants to tow a wide caravan to a fixed site where it will be used as a tea or snack wagon?

Yes

Franglais:
The width is over 2.55m so needs marking, but is under 2.9m, so doesn`t need permits nor notice to police.

Yes

Franglais:

Im not sure about what they mean hear as they say

If you use a smaller vehicle (eg a 4x4) for towing, you’ll only need a tachograph if its total weight is more than 3.5 tonnes.

EU rules apply if the maximum permissible weight of your vehicle or vehicle combination is more than 3.5 tonnes and you’re driving in any of the following:
Do they mena gross or payload at time its being moved

Franglais:
Assuming over 3.5ton but under 8.25ton weight for van plus trailer plus caravan.
If driving licence holder before 1997 OK, if passed car test after 1st Jan `97 then class C1 licence needed.
gov.uk/towing-rules

I have C+E

Franglais:
But.
“vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of 7.5 tonnes or less that are used for carrying work equipment for the driver where the distance is less than 100km”

How often are they refering to 100km. Is this a 100km a day or 100km forever?

Franglais:
So, if the van driver is really a chef or cook, and is just moving the caravan a short distance, they are exempt from EU regs.
If the van driver isn`t a chef etc, but moves goods and caravans, they are inside the EU rules.

I am indeed the driver the chef and the licence’ss of this business venture

Anyone know anything about parking regulations for such an over wide load please so as lighting and boarding?
I think if they are going to chase me for anything then it will be parking over driving (since it will spend most of its life parked up)
The licencing department said that I am not allowed to park on any pavement what so ever (including the place seen in photo). So no street traders permit would be granted for such a place

100km radius from base I’m assuming, as is for recovery under a similar exemption & it’s crow flys not driven miles.

Franglais:

TruckDriverBen:

"For safe towing it is recommended by many towing experts that a novice should keep the fully laden weight of the caravan no heavier than 85% of the kerbweight of the tow car. This is known as the 85% rule. Bear in mind that it is a guide and not legally enforceable. "

i just got this from RAC site, so what does this mean in english lol can i tow a sprinter with my golf ■■

TruckDriverBen:

Franglais:

TruckDriverBen:

"For safe towing it is recommended by many towing experts that a novice should keep the fully laden weight of the caravan no heavier than 85% of the kerbweight of the tow car. This is known as the 85% rule. Bear in mind that it is a guide and not legally enforceable. "

i just got this from RAC site, so what does this mean in english lol can i tow a sprinter with my golf ■■

If the sprinter and trailer combined weights, are less than the unladen weight of your Golf? Yes, good to go!

DuckDuck:

Franglais:

Yes

Franglais:

Yes

Franglais:

Im not sure about what they mean hear as they say

If you use a smaller vehicle (eg a 4x4) for towing, you’ll only need a tachograph if its total weight is more than 3.5 tonnes.

EU rules apply if the maximum permissible weight of your vehicle or vehicle combination is more than 3.5 tonnes and you’re driving in any of the following:
Do they mena gross or payload at time its being moved

Franglais:
gov.uk/towing-rules

I have C+E

Franglais:
But.

How often are they refering to 100km. Is this a 100km a day or 100km forever?

Franglais:

I am indeed the driver the chef and the licence’ss of this business venture

Anyone know anything about parking regulations for such an over wide load please so as lighting and boarding?
I think if they are going to chase me for anything then it will be parking over driving (since it will spend most of its life parked up)
The licencing department said that I am not allowed to park on any pavement what so ever (including the place seen in photo). So no street traders permit would be granted for such a place

I have a question , will that portable building remain on the trailer and be removed everyday or will it be demounted and left permanently on the road side ? As you mention its a mobile catering unit I’d presume its remaining on the trailer, You realy need to know the exact weight of this unit There is one similar on the farm and its deffo weight is just under 4000klg without the contents weighed when craned in.

teatime:
I have a question , will that portable building remain on the trailer and be removed everyday or will it be demounted and left permanently on the road side ? As you mention its a mobile catering unit I’d presume its remaining on the trailer, You realy need to know the exact weight of this unit There is one similar on the farm and its deffo weight is just under 4000klg without the contents weighed when craned in.

The oversize cabin will remain on the trailer parked up at the same space all the time
I wonder what those static caravans weigh by any chance?

I had a user name of TeaTime not so long ago
powerequipmentforum.com/thr … post-81185