Torque Wrenches

cav551:
If the recommendation is for them not to be wound back to zero then why are they always on zero when you take a brand new one out of the box? Dial type gauges return to zero automatically.

I’II check next time I buy a new Norbar one.

I doubt I’II be changing the habit of a lifetime and stopping winding them back to zero but it is questionable whether this received wisdom is based on any solid evidence.

Don’t have the problem with digital ones but never really got on with them as like some positive feedback the torque has been reached.

Muckaway:
So, wheelbar with a short piece of scaffold tube is the way to go then?

A scaf tube is perfect, as long as you stand on the same spot, and don’t put any weight on over Christmas. The torque on the nut will be the same every time… :sunglasses:

a couple of years back I watched a tyre fitter putting a wheel on a truck, he went round the nuts like a pointer round a clock letting the air ratchet bang away for about 10 seconds on each nut, he then went and got the torque wrench which he carefully adjusted - he did not get any movement on any of the nuts, he then announced to the driver that they were ‘all torqued up proper’ Driver seemed more preoccupied with his mobile phone to give a fzbk - it’s frightening how many clowns there are out there.

SiAmon:

Muckaway:
So, wheelbar with a short piece of scaffold tube is the way to go then?

A scaf tube is perfect, as long as you stand on the same spot, and don’t put any weight on over Christmas. The torque on the nut will be the same every time… :sunglasses:

I used to have the Daf wheelbar set in a velcro pouch that was kept behind the passenger seat with the towing eye when I drove an Alpha. My boss said he’s sure my wagon had one when it was new, he’s going to have a look in the garage for it. Never had any problems in the past using the Daf bar.

My norbar wheel nut torque wrench is about 20 years old, I leave it at 670 nm as that is the torque I normally always use ,never winding it back to zero. It gets calibrated every year and always passes, never requires adjustment.

Always wind them back as i have been shown it that way, except the wheel nut torque wrench, leave it where it is, is to big to constant mess around with.
Gets every year recalibrated, so should be ok…

Anybody use the “Bridgestone” app?
Very good to find the required torque settings for different trucks, vans and trailer axles.
Amazing handy app.