toleman

Passing Peter Waldren in my Mk 5 on A12

Another photo of Mk3 cab

help me out here lads when tolemans came to coventry they had a few dodge artics very under powered if i remember right i was only a lad at the time the yard was behind a garage on the london rd in willenhall my dad Stan druse was there from the start he drove the first daf wagon and drag ,i remember him struggling with gears until the gearbox warmed up help us out lads

Fantastic pics, Eugene. Do you have any more of them?

I take it from the photo’s you were on the Ford contract at Harwich. My dad was On the Volvo’s out of Ipswich.

Those interior shots are a real blast from the past. Happy days. :grimacing:

Hello foden 1, was that after his Latham days, the yard being the old brs depot opposite Frenchies Cafe, so was the year about 74/75?

hi ya dieseldogsix yes it was after lathams a small yard opposite frenchies cafe i remember the drivers doing a fair bit of shunting to get the car transporters in a chap named pete oldknow drove for them ,never stop moaning how under powered those dodges was ,my Dad parked his car on the cafe park ,harry french i think was his name happy days :smiley: …do you remember the bridge hotel on the a45 seen a few car transporters parked up there at opening hours including my Dads :unamused:

Hi Goaty
Yes I was on the Ford contract at Harwich, who was your dad? I must know him as I knew a lot of the Ipswich lads having worked with some in other firms, and doing the Volvo ferry from Harwich to Ipswich. As matter of fact, I was with two on Saturday at a old mates 60th birthday, they were Wayne Williams and Wally Haylock.

I have a nice photo of a Maggie Deutz, reg no FKV 960T, I will try to find it and post it on here.
My first job was at Cartransport Queenborough where i worked in the yard. I also had dealings with Sheertrucks & MCD also at Queenborough.
MR.

Eugene:
Hi Goaty
Yes I was on the Ford contract at Harwich, who was your dad? I must know him as I knew a lot of the Ipswich lads having worked with some in other firms, and doing the Volvo ferry from Harwich to Ipswich. As matter of fact, I was with two on Saturday at a old mates 60th birthday, they were Wayne Williams and Wally Haylock.

You have a PM :wink: .

foden 01:
hi ya dieseldogsix yes it was after lathams a small yard opposite frenchies cafe i remember the drivers doing a fair bit of shunting to get the car transporters in a chap named pete oldknow drove for them ,never stop moaning how under powered those dodges was ,my Dad parked his car on the cafe park ,harry french i think was his name happy days :smiley: …do you remember the bridge hotel on the a45 seen a few car transporters parked up there at opening hours including my Dads :unamused:

Pete Oldknow, I know the name but couldn’t put a face to it, Harry French sounds right, because I worked with a young Harry French his Son at HEP sections too, so your Brother must have known him, I used to go swiming at the Bridge Hotel, well Ryton Baths next to it, Joe Lomas, was another, worked with Joe on and off over the years, Johnny Frankton who later worked in the yard at Tolemans at the Griff and his son Robert.

hi does anyone have a old pic of the first maggie deutz wagon and drags, my dad used to work for tolemans hauling volkswagons and then peugots out of grimsby, his wagon used to be FKV 945T and was fleet number 083, i am trying to build a scale model of it and am stuck on finding any details, my dads name was mick askwith , all i can remember is that the wagon had the fixed top deck, any help on this would be greatly welcome.

I used to drive a Maggie on the Italy run but it was not something you’d want to keep a picture of. It died a natural death somewhere in Island Row- much to everyone’s relief.

just a long shot, but does anyone have any photos of the old hoyner mk7 trailers that toleman used to use, ive seen the one on here with the volvo but need some more. im attempting to scratch build a model of one but seem to be drawing a blank as regards any info, any help would be gratefully received.