Told I did job wrong/ unnecessary break/ how would you do it

muckles:
I’ve got 2 views on this.

1. I think both Dozy and Kneal need to find their transport manager and give them the correct regs and tell them to learn them themselves before they consider telling drivers how to interpret them. :laughing:

2. Or if they haven’t been asked to do anything illegal, then do it the way the company ask however cockeyed that seems to be. :laughing:
    after all we’ve had plenty of drivers on here complaining that they’re expected to take breaks on the bay and aren’t then get a phone cal if they dare stop on the way back.

This^^

Is there no end to TMs that know ■■■■ all about the regs, yet still think they can dictate to drivers?

I take my breaks where I want, and though I wouldn’t take the ■■■■, I wouldn’t be dictated to either.

I was told this whilst doing my CPC at Stobarts…

Kneal:

That should make this thread go on for another three or four pages at-least :smiley: :wink:

Kneal:

Firstly you said you got an infingement :confused:
Any hows by taking 3 hrs you’ve satisfied two criteria,
1: you’ve wiped the slate clean and are clear for another 4.5 hours driving.
2: you’re entitled to count it towards a reduced rest period if you so wish to.

By your trainers reckoning, if I’ve driven for 2x4.5 hours,and then take a 9 hour daily rest period, I should also add another 45 minutes before I can commence driving the next day.

It would be interesting to know how many Transport Managers at haulage company’s have actually done their CPC not the DCPC the one to require an O licence. My guess is its most of the owners of the haulage company’s that have a CPC who don’t get involved with the day to day running of the company and the Transport Managers have not.

I was told the same as you a few years back at a firm where the transport manager and his superiours liked to tell us how he was a guru on drivers hours etc.
Funny enough the firm were recently hauled up in front of the TC over hours offences.

It’s scary…just reading on here, only today, 3 or 4 threads covering this matter. This goes to show companies/operators/transport planners & maybe even transport managers don’t know the regulations surrounding Drivers’ Hours & Working Time Directive. It isn’t difficult and the biggest myth always seems to involve PoA.

I say DCPC Drivers’ Hours Module for ALL transport office staff…no exceptions!!!

For cpc holders a five yearly refresher wouldn’t hurt.

Big Joe:

Kneal:

Yes I did get an infringement. The office bod explained the reason. So I brought it up when I did my CPC…

Kneal:

Big Joe:

Kneal:

Yes I did get an infringement. The office bod explained the reason. So I brought it up when I did my CPC…

So thats two so called professionals that haven’t a clue!..

dozy:
Left depot and drove 2 3/4 to rdc,I then spent 3 hrs on bay ( tacho on break), I then drove 2 3/4 hrs back to depot( 10 min toilet break on way back.
I thought that was reasonable and the way I’ve always done the job.
But I’m being told that is wrong what I should of done/ do is
Drive 2 3/4 to rdc,then 3 hrs on bay on poa, then drive 2 3/4 hours back to depot stopping for a 50 min driving break on route.
There reasoning is by sitting on a bay for 3 hrs on break instead of poa my WTD hours didn’t reduce, whereas if I was on poa they’d of reduced by 3 hrs :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .
I reasoned that by doing what I did I shortened my day by 50 mins,got there truck back 50 mins earlier and I thought it’s taking the ■■■■ a bit sitting on a bay for 3 hrs then driving half hour up road and stopping for 50 mins.
Now I’ll have to do it there way,don’t make sense at all to me,how would you do job.
N.b you have to hand in keys so can’t change mode once on bay ta

Did you know how long it would take? Were you free to dispose of your time or did you have to remain with the truck? Did you record “other work” for the time you went to take your notes, collect them etc?

Most important for me would be “are you paid by the hour?” If so then why would you want to finish 50 minutes earlier?

maybe its not such a bad thing this DCPC, after all lots of drivers don’t even know the basic drivers regs, opinions don’t matter when it comes to getting your wheels tapped by that fussy ■■■88ker in the big Hi ViZ !! :smiley:

blueroom1:
maybe its not such a bad thing this DCPC, after all lots of drivers don’t even know the basic drivers regs, opinions don’t matter when it comes to getting your wheels tapped by that fussy ■■■88ker in the big Hi ViZ !! :smiley:

If you read the thread, it seems the driver knew, but the transport department didn’t,

Who ever runs your Traffic office needs to read up abit more on the use of tachos,otherwise he/she is going to, at some stage,get you into deep crap.
Why cant you change your tacho mode without your keys,dont you sit in your cab whilst your on the deck

I think it all delepnds on how the driver wants to play it but fair play to your company for having money to burn!!

If this was a regular run that you were doing, I would be instructing all drivers to ensure they take a break when at the RDC and having a 45 min on the way back is just time wasting.

As regards your comments about not being able to change the mode over when you have handed your keys in, I do not believe this is correct. You should be able to change the mode over without the ignition on but certain functions like obtaining a print out without the ignition on will not be possible.

the dcpc may be a good thing however it comes down to the course provider/lecturer, I have been told 2 completely different things from 2 course providers just to do with digital tacho…

dle1uk:
the dcpc may be a good thing however it comes down to the course provider/lecturer, I have been told 2 completely different things from 2 course providers just to do with digital tacho…

This really is quite shocking how often this mis-information occurs. Did you get to the bottom of who was right and who was wrong?

really neither was 100% correct or 100% wrong but both offered opposite conflicting advice, which end of the day can only confuse things…

Lusk:
As regards your comments about not being able to change the mode over when you have handed your keys in, I do not believe this is correct. You should be able to change the mode over without the ignition on but certain functions like obtaining a print out without the ignition on will not be possible.

It is correct if you’re sat in a drivers waiting room and your cab is locked.

Tipper Tom:
This is ■■■■■■■■

I’d of thought so too,I’d of thought they’d be ringing you up asking why you weren’t on break,why you stopped for 50 mins after sitting somewhere for 3 hrs ,but the depot manager says I should be on poa not break,then stop on way back.
I’m guessing he will only realise he’s wrong when his lorrys are parked in lay-bys not in the yard.