To PoA or not to PoA - theoretically?

POA for me. With the exception of my tacho breaks my mode switch stays on the box/POA mode :laughing: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Had a records check on friday afternoon with a vosa examiner.He commented on how hard it was to prove anything WTD wise after the event.He stated the only real way to catch anybody out was red handed, when they miss book the time via the mode switch .

Coffeeholic:

Liberace:

Coffeeholic:
I can just see it, some time in 2006 VOSA pop into a company and say; ‘On the 15th of April 2005, while they were loading/unloading here, did you tell in advance how long the delay was going to be, thus enabling him/her to class it as a POA or is he/she pulling a fast one?’

Not going to happen is it.

Hmmmm, maybe not, but I still wouldn’t put it past 'em :laughing: :open_mouth: .

Maybe, but do you really think the company you were delivering to would remember, or even care? :smiley: :smiley:

Probably not - I admit that and call me naieve, but call it a point of principle :wink:. To my mind, if you start, where does it stop? Maybe not the sort of answer LostPup was looking for, but that’s the way I do it :wink:.

I would call it POA, but only because I am hourly paid. And I am a greedy get and want to keep my hours below 48 hours every week, so that if I want to work the odd saturday morning during the summer I can.

Rob K:
POA for me. With the exception of my tacho breaks my mode switch stays on the box/POA mode :laughing: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry Rob but your doing it wrong.
How are you showing daily checks,refuiling,loading /unloading,walking to hand in/collectct notes etc…

Your way is just like leaving your mode switch on rest before the wtd started.If you work for a reputable firm that gets your tacho’s checked,all of them will be coming back {impropper mode use}

The point of this wtd was for us to have a better standard of life i,e not doing 70 hours a week still.
But also it was worded that we should not lose out financualy (spelling}
If you are its up to you to sort out with your boss or just walk.

Idealliy it should be 48hours and thats it just like any other worker.Not worrying about the boss adding on ■■■,coffee breaks at the end of the week
No one else would stand for it why should we.

Tony b

working time for me.

tonyb:

Rob K:

Sorry Rob but your doing it wrong.
How are you showing daily checks,refuiling,loading /unloading,walking to hand in/collectct notes etc…

Your way is just like leaving your mode switch on rest before the wtd started.If you work for a reputable firm that gets your tacho’s checked,all of them will be coming back {impropper mode use}

The point of this wtd was for us to have a better standard of life i,e not doing 70 hours a week still.
But also it was worded that we should not lose out financualy (spelling}
If you are its up to you to sort out with your boss or just walk.

Idealliy it should be 48hours and thats it just like any other worker.Not worrying about the boss adding on ■■■,coffee breaks at the end of the week
No one else would stand for it why should we.

Tony b

With all due respect Tony, I have been operating my tacho mode switch as mentioned since I started with the company and my tachograph’s have been for analysis and come back again completely infringement free bar a few cases of speeding in excess of 60mph (over-run).

And to quote you :

The point of this wtd was for us to have a better standard of life[/b] i,e not doing 70 hours a week still.
[/quote]
A better standard for who exactly ? You ? It isn’t a better standard for me, that’s for sure. To a degree I enjoy “working” in excess of 60hrs per week as much of it isn’t “work”, it’s sitting about chatting with other people and generally having a good time. As I get paid for this time then even more so.
As has been discussed plenty in the past on these forums, as far as I’m concerned it’s a human rights issue and we should NOT be dictated to about how many hours we can and can’t work in a given period - that should be MY choice, not some EU beareaucrat’s.
On the flip side, you show me a company that has increased their wages proportionally to the amount of hours/money their drivers are losing excluding the Trolley companies where you are required to work weekends, nights, days, evenings etc. The fact of the matter is that there aren’t any and I will not be one to lose out.
Meanwhile, I shall continue to leave my mode switch on the box, just as before and carry on as normal. :slight_smile:

Personally, I show 15 minutes “Other Work” at the start and finish of each day, then everything else is either “Driving” or “Rest”.

Bearing in mind that I’m on boxes, it states quite clearly in the Regulations that you may take break/rest during a POA “if the conditions are right”…in may case the conditions are identical, so no need to show any of it as POA.
This means that I am basically carrying on exactly as before, bar the “Other Work” at each end of the day…and to work out my Working Time I simply add half an hour to my Driving Time.

Working on the basis that you can’t do more than 45hrs driving a week (and we quite often do that whole 45hrs on distance runs) and I only ever work 5 days, that means that the 2.5 hrs “Other Work” added to the 45hrs driving gives only 47.5hrs…

This is, of course, only strictly workable whilst I’m banned from stripping open-side boxes and self-tips (of which we do a few, nature of the job since we’re not a haulier) at which point the “Other Work” figure rises…but thumbscrews are being gently applied to Management on this subject as we speak…:wink:

We’ve had no complaints so far about doing things this way…although the habitual maximum use of Driving Time (mileage paid) means that our office are well used to people ringing up and saying “can’t do that, only got 4 hours left” or whatever, and never question it.

It is worth bearing in mind, however, that Tacho Analysis will NOT show WTD offences, since they are nothing to do with Drivers’ Hours Law and therefore fall outside the remit of these checks.
The WTD is social legislation (and therefore ultimately enforceable by HSE, although VOSA will be helping them with ongoing enforcement and monitoring) not Drivers’ Hours, and therefore seperate checks would have to made to confirm whether the law is being followed…

I guess it’ll all come out in the wash…but for now it’s business as usual here! :grimacing:

And for me too,

If I drive 9 hours to a delivery, I need 45minutes rest with 1/2 hour for circle checks and fuel before I leave.
The next morning I will tip the load on other work,