TNT history

Or UPS and DOWNS?

Or FedEx, FEDUP?

When TNT parcels started to spread throughout the UK, their first Northants parcel depot at the beginning of the 80’s was a couple of sheds in Knights of Old’s old depot at Cherry Hill Old. This was just before they went to Park farm at wellingborough

I drove for TNT in Leicester for a short while, new star rd depot, we had ERF 320s twin splitters !
Then there was garment express at Britannia rd syston, they had M.A.N 362s in beige !

TNT took over the old Evan crest parcel firm at the new star rd depot in the late 70s earl 80s !

I remember Kwikasair had a depot in Penkridge late 70’s but didn’t last long before it changed to Inter County Express which then moved to Wimblebury in Cannock.

T.N.T. had a commercial advert on t.v. tonight half way between corrie extoling their virtues as to how good they operate throughout Europe,never done this before,coincidence or what. :astonished: :slight_smile:

Thanks lads I think I’m starting to get aclearer picture of it all.

As for Kwikasair UK (KAA UK) yes it seems that TNT had big ambitions but the actual game was harder than they expected. I have found a similar thing when they entered the US market … High hopes but a real struggle to begin with. I think by the late 70s they had wised up to all this and took a more manageable course of action which ultimately did succeed.

Until a few months ago we did plenty of work for TNT, but not much nowadays. They would give you a job, all the details would be wrong in many instances. Their traffic planners seem to lack the basic knowlege of the job required (they’re not alone in that respect amongst the bigger organisations I deal with).

mr.scruff:
FEB 1984

Cracking scans Mr. Scruff, love it.

Darren Hingston:
IPEC stands for Interstate Parcel Express Company and was originally formed in Australia, in the 1950’s I believe.

That’s not exactly what many Aussie truckers understood IPEC meant… :wink: :grimacing: (ask anyone who’s done the Sydney ↔ Melbourne overnight Grand Prix :open_mouth: )

I’ll be very interested to read your version of the TNT/ IPEC divorce, and why (if you cover it) TNT is going down the pan here in Oz while IPEC (owned by Toll Group) is still thriving.

classicman:
Known in the UK as Damaged, Hidden or Lost

lol :grimacing: I’d forgotten that one. One of the drivers at a mob I worked for years ago was Les, and we used to call him DHL - short for D**k Head Les.

You learn something every day. I always thought DHL was Document Handling Ltd.

John

Royal2100:

Darren Hingston:
IPEC stands for Interstate Parcel Express Company and was originally formed in Australia, in the 1950’s I believe.

That’s not exactly what many Aussie truckers understood IPEC meant… :wink: :grimacing: (ask anyone who’s done the Sydney ↔ Melbourne overnight Grand Prix :open_mouth: )

I’ll be very interested to read your version of the TNT/ IPEC divorce, and why (if you cover it) TNT is going down the pan here in Oz while IPEC (owned by Toll Group) is still thriving.

Ha ha … Yer …I Pass Every C### … Hmmm.

I believe that TNT only had IPEC Europe and the Australian side of the business was a seperate thing. Toll bought all of TNTs general freight divisions in Aus in 96 and basically went to the postal side of things then … With a smaller part of it being logistics until the mid 2000 when that was spun off as CEVA Logistics.

Not too sure on how TOLL ended up with IPEC here … But I’ll do some digging

Of what I know from over here…TNT Logistics and TNT Freight merged with Eagle Global Logistics
and formed CEVA-logistics. Former owner/chairman of EGL Jim Crane formed Crane Logistics.
TNT-mail and PTT (Dutch Post) formed PostNL. A seperate entity still is TNT Express

I dealt with TNT then CEVA on newspapers for 25 years, very efficient in early days of Newspaper movement through the strikes due to mega payments News International paid to them for costs, then when the strike calmed down and it was safe to drive again cuts were made, and TNT service dropped off. They had too many depots when we first started using them.

TNT started a Newspaper Distribution Company called NWC, we all said it stood for No Warehouse Company as they did not use warehouses only the TNT yards. Again hidden agendas and poor service saw them lose this part of the Newspaper distribution network, due to greed and lack of knowledge.

Higher management of TNT was not all that good (Lack of Newspaper Distribution), the middle management were always under threat of dismissal (Again lack of Newspaper Distribution) and many were poor managers, always shouting at staff, the lower management was changing all the time for trying to do the job properly, lower management would try to point middle management in the right direction, but not getting anywhere as middle management had their heads up there backsides.

Most of the driver workforce were pretty good throughout the country, just the odd moan and groan, but lost out in wage cuts etc. TNT / CEVA could have made this part of their network a winner if they had listened to us that had been involved in Newspaper distribution for the previous 20 years. I used to smile when Wellingborough depot managers used to tell me that I would lose my job to TNT staff and be out of work. I lasted a lot longer than their company contract and most of their staff, as I am retired now and never lost a days work. LOL

Hi Darren

Just been diggin out my old induction booklet from 1985 when I joined TNT at Deeside depot, company structure, whos who, loads of stuff!!!, I worked for Roadfreight, but remember the Newsfast days, with those VW LT45…mad days they were!, even did a few Wapping runs on a Saturday…what a great firm to work for, no one could match them, I will scan the document and email if you PM me details

Even restored a TNT Marathon…god!

ipec

Thank you Steelboy … PM sent

Darren Hingston:
With a smaller part of it being logistics until the mid 2000 when that was spun off as CEVA Logistics.

Not too sure on how TOLL ended up with IPEC here … But I’ll do some digging

Interesting. CEVA I see around Sydney a lot (car-carriers mostly), I had no idea they’d been around that long. Toll seem to be everywhere and into everything, from car carriers to containers to BHP (Bluescope Steel) to IPEC and NQX to couriers and even removals.