Tippers nightmare

rigsby:

coomsey:
Has anybody had experience of those artic tippers that cocked up on the back axles ? Not for the feint hearted I,ve always felt.Did you get more payload?
The worst scenario I should imagine must be the guys who worked the ones with the donkey engines I much prefer to be at the steering wheel when tipping
(not sure why cos theres nowt you can do) possibly not so keen if she rolled over. If she went away from you when outside good if she came at you then a Buster Keaton moment between rams n body if you,re lucky

I had a hoyner trailer or a while , tipped on the back wheels . If i was tipping into a bunker , drop the red line and tip steady and if tipping in the open , foot hard on the brake and tip . when you tipped in the latter fashion it dragged the load out , not always popular with the workforce . Never had any stability problems even though it was a dropside and bent a bit when tipping . dave

Well you sort of surprise me cos to my eye they looked iffy to the point when I seen one tipping me bum used to tightened up even though I weren,t in the cab. How did you feel first go? relieved surprised or couldn,t care less ? N did you get more weight on ?

No one had a back bar sheer then ? Or bracket come off the aly sledge .

never worried me coomsey , even though the bracket under the body looked flimsy it was strong enough . If the load was slow coming out there seemed an awful lot of weight on the back tyres , always glad when it slid . Only time i had problems was fetching it from the factory piggy back on a flat and the retaining clips on the plate slipped and the whole lot dropped and rammed the pin through the trailer floor , always carried a couple of big G clamps after that for when i dropped the trailer . dave

Punchy Dan:
No one had a back bar sheer then ? Or bracket come off the aly sledge .

Had bars come out while tipping Dan. I went down to Damsen Lane, Solihull, in the 70’s to one of our halfcab Fodens that had the bar come adrift while tipping on the paver, a jack and big hammer soon got it sorted! Most of our bars and hinges were too worn to sieze but I believe that Barlows had one shear on a tanker?

Pete.

Never had any bad fail on tipper but had twin ram on a Riever where the offside ram had a 2 sec start, the offside caught it up at the top, so in rollover mode from the start.
Heard about a 8 wheeler who was tipping n hydraulic pipe burst n sprayed onto engine then burnt out. But not sure if thats true, hearsay!

Sandcarpet were bad stuff. First time I lifted split tail up onto chain hook got a fair bit down my sleeve n a little bit down my shirt front you buga!! attacked it with a lot more care after that

Anti tip over sensor youtube.com/watch?v=IBfg4ZHYBag
Oily

Wear a few tyes out going to Ballidon and others

Tony

coomsey:
Sandcarpet were bad stuff. First time I lifted split tail up onto chain hook got a fair bit down my sleeve n a little bit down my shirt front you buga!! attacked it with a lot more care after that

Yes, evil stuff that. Or when you were shovelling HRA off and you had worn boot soles resulting in burnt feet, or some actually went into your boot which was even worse! Find a puddle quickly and stand in it, instant relief!! :slight_smile: Moose on this forums dad (Chris) had some HRA drop on his bare arm when loading it under the hopper years ago, it took the skin off! Oh the ‘joys’ of carting coated stone. :unamused: Drifted off topic, sorry. :blush:

Pete.

H.R.A. used to put tin o soup in it for nice hot bit o snap in winter.
Not pleasant n to make matters worse not dead sure this is true. Heard down the grapevine that in one of the M1 fog pile ups in the 70s a old couple ran up back end of Tarmac lorry with load of H.R.A. n result was a car full of the stuff. They both died n apparently not of bump. It don,t bear thinking about forgive me. They say the driver never went on the road again.Like I said not 100% on that. I hope it,s wrong.
On a lighter note I got involved in one just south of Blue Boar,S80 for Tarmac, no chance of pulling up so headed left cross hard shoulder n being a little bit out of control onto grass but ok. Got done for undue care endorsement n £20 fine.
Way off topic!!!

DEANB:
This did not go to plan !

that happened to a couple of artic cement tankers that were tipping together at Redland Readymix in 'sorrel a few years ago.happily no-one injured

First firm I worked for in the eighties had 8 or 9 Hoynors - mainly because they were old, cheap and no-one else wanted them! :smiley: Never ever had a stability problem with them at all but they did look a bit strange when you were tipping…we used to get a lot of jobsworths shouting the odds when tipping in the docks because the red airline was off, handbrake off, trailer going up and unit moving back, seemingly on its own… :smiley: :smiley: They used to get even more excited when we had finished tipping - pull forward, red line off again, handbrake off, lower the trailer so unit moving forward while we used to clean and close the tailboard… :grimacing: Many’s the time we would jump back in and drag the trailer back across to weigh out, forgetting to turn the red line back on… :blush:

When I first started pulling from the quarries, artics were quite rare carrying stone, in this area anyway. One came in one particular day, a tidy F10 with a triaxle trailer piloted by a youngish chap. He loaded with stone immediately before the shovel drivers break. Shovel driver chucked on 25 tons and scarpered to put the kettle on…young chap had a look in the back and decided that it didn’t look enough! Down came the other shovel and put another 25 tons on the back, as the driver asked… :smiley: Up to the weighbridge he goes, weighbridge clerk then thinks the bridge is broken so asks the driver to weigh on the other one. Strangely, that one didn’t work either!! Weighbridge man says to driver ‘you had better go and tip some off because you must be a bit heavy - these are 40 ton weighbridges’ Up to the tip area goes this poor old F10, tips one and a half rams and the whole side of the trailer breaks out and over she goes… Lorry sat there for a week, driver never seen again :open_mouth: :laughing:

Piston broke:
First firm I worked for in the eighties had 8 or 9 Hoynors - mainly because they were old, cheap and no-one else wanted them! :smiley: Never ever had a stability problem with them at all but they did look a bit strange when you were tipping…we used to get a lot of jobsworths shouting the odds when tipping in the docks because the red airline was off, handbrake off, trailer going up and unit moving back, seemingly on its own… :smiley: :smiley: They used to get even more excited when we had finished tipping - pull forward, red line off again, handbrake off, lower the trailer so unit moving forward while we used to clean and close the tailboard… :grimacing: Many’s the time we would jump back in and drag the trailer back across to weigh out, forgetting to turn the red line back on… :blush:

When I first started pulling from the quarries, artics were quite rare carrying stone, in this area anyway. One came in one particular day, a tidy F10 with a triaxle trailer piloted by a youngish chap. He loaded with stone immediately before the shovel drivers break. Shovel driver chucked on 25 tons and scarpered to put the kettle on…young chap had a look in the back and decided that it didn’t look enough! Down came the other shovel and put another 25 tons on the back, as the driver asked… :smiley: Up to the weighbridge he goes, weighbridge clerk then thinks the bridge is broken so asks the driver to weigh on the other one. Strangely, that one didn’t work either!! Weighbridge man says to driver ‘you had better go and tip some off because you must be a bit heavy - these are 40 ton weighbridges’ Up to the tip area goes this poor old F10, tips one and a half rams and the whole side of the trailer breaks out and over she goes… Lorry sat there for a week, driver never seen again :open_mouth: :laughing:

Similar at Cliffe Hill,though I missed it. One of Chas Drapers Bisons who usually carted grain asked for more n got it. On a 40t weighbridge went off scale.Went to tip some off n ram/s came up through load. Had to off load with JCB

Does anybody know why Hoyner finished? Nobody answered this yet ,is there a payload gain with them? N did any other trailer manufacturers make similar contraptions? Or has this been covered elsewhere on this forum cos I,m curious

Don’t know when hoyner finished , but there was a definite payload advantage , mine carried 21 english tons behind an erf unit in the early 70s . There was also the advantage of the dropsides , a lot had the sides that folded in for carrying flat type loads . When the sides were dropped they were no higher than a standard flat trailer . Dave

rigsby:
Don’t know when hoyner finished , but there was a definite payload advantage , mine carried 21 english tons behind an erf unit in the early 70s . There was also the advantage of the dropsides , a lot had the sides that folded in for carrying flat type loads . When the sides were dropped they were no higher than a standard flat trailer . Dave

Thanks. I sort of guessed they,d carry a lot more. Who was the man that designed em ? He were clever but obviously never went on the road.
Regarding dropsides I had Akky with asphalt body it could be extended to carry coal n then coke boards on top of that. Gaffer were like a woman could never make his mind up! Used to spend hours building up/stripping down not a job I relished

Having chewed the fat off my last post maybe I have,nt given Hoyner fella credit he,s due. I don,t recall seeing photo of one coppling over. Has anybody else ? If not why are they no more. More payload n stability surely a winning combination

Last job before i retired i had a triaxle rear wheel steer that tipped like a hoyner . I was never happy with it , there’s a big difference between 20 tons on the hoyner and 29 tons on that thing. It’s a lot of weight on 4 tyres and a tipping ram . i think they got rid of it after i left . Dave

rigsby:
Last job before i retired i had a triaxle rear wheel steer that tipped like a hoyner . I was never happy with it , there’s a big difference between 20 tons on the hoyner and 29 tons on that thing. It’s a lot of weight on 4 tyres and a tipping ram . i think they got rid of it after i left . Dave

whose thing were that then Dave? what year?
As you may have read they looked not quiet right to my eye .The evidence up to now says different. Confidence in the bit of kit you,re using is no bad thing
Confidence. The feeling you get just before you fall over ! Well known Bulgarian proverb

Piston broke:

Like all of us he lived n learnt! There but for the grace of God. Glad it were,nt me