Tight turn airlines

Topcat1522:
Larry I’m not a experienced hgv driver this why asking but your obviously not either because that’s what the shunt buttons for mate

Has anyone ever got a shunt button to work? Many of our trailers have them but non a ctually do anything. Plus I always thought they only worked if there was air left in the trailer? Thinking about it, I’ve never seen a shunter using one either as they always seem to link the red line.

As for the original question - not generally but they can get a bit tangled if you screw it round too much so I guess it could help (do remember no red = no go). Never had to do it myself. Got to watch the trailer doesn’t catch the unit which is a more expensive problem. If you need to get it round, you might find raising the unit suspension sometimes helps a little.

Topcat1522:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well Shunt Buttons didnt exist in my day so I stand corrected, But you see when one gets to 83 years old one can still learn as the old saying goes,Never too old to learn :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

no offence taken first day out tommorow [zb] myself got to do a split couple on a fridge unit and its my first couple since passing test been driving a wagon and drag for a year totaly different to artic as you know
so any tips ueful lol

Why do you have to split couple I drive a fridge & never split coupled before & only ever taken lines off to drop the trailer

steviespain:

jbaz73:
I’ve just seen how that reads. Don’t worry, there are no juggernauts thundering along our streets with the airlines off. I should have said, I’m a cun… sorry I mean shunter :blush:

You finally got your like button!

animal:

Topcat1522:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well Shunt Buttons didnt exist in my day so I stand corrected, But you see when one gets to 83 years old one can still learn as the old saying goes,Never too old to learn :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

no offence taken first day out tommorow [zb] myself got to do a split couple on a fridge unit and its my first couple since passing test been driving a wagon and drag for a year totaly different to artic as you know
so any tips ueful lol

Why do you have to split couple I drive a fridge & never split coupled before & only ever taken lines off to drop the trailer

You did mention once that you’re quite petite, there’s your answer, Luke is skinny too and he said that he doesn’t need to split couple. I on the other hand am twice Luke’s weight! Also, if the coupling has been moved comes into play if it’s a sliding fifth wheel.

trevHCS:

Topcat1522:
Larry I’m not a experienced hgv driver this why asking but your obviously not either because that’s what the shunt buttons for mate

Has anyone ever got a shunt button to work? Many of our trailers have them but non a ctually do anything. Plus I always thought they only worked if there was air left in the trailer? Thinking about it, I’ve never seen a shunter using one either as they always seem to link the red line.

As for the original question - not generally but they can get a bit tangled if you screw it round too much so I guess it could help (do remember no red = no go). Never had to do it myself. Got to watch the trailer doesn’t catch the unit which is a more expensive problem. If you need to get it round, you might find raising the unit suspension sometimes helps a little.

Some of the culina trailers you have to use a line. As for the rest, the shunt buttons all work.

When I was shunting using a Terberg I always put the red and leccy suzie in.

dcgpx:
Simple answer - no leave them all on.

If tight turn then watch they don’t snag on trailer esp if a curtain as the release handles are like fishing hooks [emoji3]

Also I’d advise putting it in manual mode if auto - they have a habit of trying to change gear at wrong time

Once you’ve completed turn I’d check connections still ok for the minute it takes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^^ is what I do .

John West:
Wow, it’s another world from the sixties and seventies! I don’t remember any shunt buttons!

And the trailers were 12’ shorter!

I have dropped the suzies on a ferry when they wet the deck to spin round, just make sure you put them back on.

Another thing to add if spinning round in a tight yard

Make sure you can complete the move as today I’ve witnessed third of a trailer of pallets go over crashing to ground!

Driver decided to turn round after opening up and unstrapping everything( why then no idea ) He set off , not overly fast tbh, but then decided couldn’t quite go round in one so braked when at nearly 90deg.

The trailer didn’t half rock and I mean rock I thought it was going to flip unit!

Then all of a sudden front lot went over side to the ground!

Thinking about it at that angle then nothing to really steady front end!

Got to admit his face was a picture when he looked at load on floor! Poor sod explaining that one away

So beware of weight and trying to stop mid turn!

I know I will be extra extra careful after seeing that

dcgpx:
Another thing to add if spinning round in a tight yard

Make sure you can complete the move as today I’ve witnessed third of a trailer of pallets go over crashing to ground!

Driver decided to turn round after opening up and unstrapping everything( why then no idea ) He set off , not overly fast tbh, but then decided couldn’t quite go round in one so braked when at nearly 90deg.

The trailer didn’t half rock and I mean rock I thought it was going to flip unit!

Then all of a sudden front lot went over side to the ground!

Thinking about it at that angle then nothing to really steady front end!

Got to admit his face was a picture when he looked at load on floor! Poor sod explaining that one away

So beware of weight and trying to stop mid turn!

I know I will be extra extra careful after seeing that

That’s another reason why it’s best to select a low manual gear and then proceed gingerly.

animal:

Topcat1522:

Lawrence Dunbar:

so any tips ueful lol

Because due to the large refridgeration unit on the front of the trailer there is, more often than not, insufficient space for you to get up on the catwalk to connect your suzies.

Always take extra care when split coupling / uncoupling, and make absolutely sure (as you should always do anyway with any trailer) that the park brake is applied before backing under the trailer. You definately don’t want to find out the brake button is not applied when you’re stood on the catwalk and connect your red suzie without that kingpin locked in.

IMG_20180809_075428.jpgGot these on ours

trevHCS:

Topcat1522:

That’ll only work on the 10 and 11’s other than that they’ve all been decommissioned
Some of the culina trailers you have to use a line. As for the rest, the shunt buttons all work.

+1

Same story. At our place about half the culinas (probably none one week, 2 the next if it’s busy) you have to use a line. 99% of the time, the shunt buttons work.

biggriffin:
0Got these on ours

Still need to go on cat walk to fit lines in but still I never split couple even with my close fridge

Reef:

Everywhere I have been does the same. I think every trailer I have driven has had it so you have to have the red-airline in for it to even move. I’ve tried moving a few trailers with just the shunt button before and nothing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe shunt button is redundant nowdays, I’ve never seen it used although I’ve only driven artics for about 2 years.

adam277:

Reef:

Everywhere I have been does the same. I think every trailer I have driven has had it so you have to have the red-airline in for it to even move. I’ve tried moving a few trailers with just the shunt button before and nothing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe shunt button is redundant nowdays, I’ve never seen it used although I’ve only driven artics for about 2 years.

You are pushing both shunt and brake buttons in ? [emoji6] I use it at least once a week either in our yard or at one of our customers yards