Throwing The Towel In

So today has been an interesting turn up for the books.

After a little word in the ear of one of the “trouble makers” yesterday, this morning I was met with his resignation sat on my keyboard. No notice given, just a straight “I don’t want to work here anymore”

Suits me down to the ground that, one down is the way I see it… :unamused: :unamused:

Good.

You don’t want him anyway - yes it’s causing you a temporary headache, but if he can’t even do the basics, then he’s better gone and it might give those who watched him get away with it, a bit of a jolt.

Steve H:
Suits me down to the ground that, one down is the way I see it… :unamused: :unamused:

That’s exactly how I’d have seen it too Steve. :smiley:

One down and a shedload less grief for you.

:bulb: Mind you, I reckon he knew that good_friend and albion were onto him… what a great combination for anybody needing fast results!! :open_mouth: :grimacing: :laughing:

Steve H:
So today has been an interesting turn up for the books.

After a little word in the ear of one of the “trouble makers” yesterday, this morning I was met with his resignation sat on my keyboard. No notice given, just a straight “I don’t want to work here anymore”

Result.

Ken.

Things are looking up already :smiley:

good_friend:
Things are looking up already :smiley:

Yep , All that was needed was a little push and he jumped him self
No messy employment law about dismissal

Heres hoping to arriving in the morning to a mass exodus of tossers by 08:00 :smiley: :smiley:

Steve. if I was 20 years younger I would be walking to your door for a job, I have been driving and TM’ ing, for 45 years and only once come across a boss like you, you are in short supply and in this day and age of unscrupilous employers, you seem to be the exception, stick with it mate, you will get the right drivers eventually.

Sapper

If only u were in central Scotland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostSomeWhere:

Or Northern Ireland.

Sitting here as ex O/D with Nat/Int CPC that hasn’t been used since Feb08!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:

LostSomeWhere:

Or Northern Ireland.

Sitting here as ex O/D with Nat/Int CPC that hasn’t been used since Feb08!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Haven’t used my National since I got it in 1993. Plans changed after I took it.

Ken.

Steve I have no doubt about the honesty of your posts or your good intentions and here it comes BUT

Unlike the other posters I wonder if you have other problems because I’m concerned even the departure of all your louts now may not make your life any better in 6 months time.

Most of your drivers and TM seem poorly motivated to do a descent job Why??

Statistically 80% cannot be incapable as your hiring eye cannot be that bad.

You now have too many slackers in your yard for that to be purely by chance. Likewise you say the guys knocking on your door are from the bottom of the barrel too so does that mean the word on the street is not great?

You say the wages and the gear are good so if the type of work is not too objectionable there is only one other area I can think of.

That is the area of morale, attitude, pride and general happiness on the job which seems to to be in very short supply.

I would be asking all staff including the guy who walked what they think would make the job better.

Drivers need to be motivated, respected and managed ocassionally.

Are they all treated equally or is there some favourites?

If they do a good job or go out of their way some day is that recognised with a word of thanks or a pat on the back?

Drivers egos and self esteem are very important but get battered by customers, authorities and the public every day.

If the boss doesn’t indicate to them that he appreciates what they have to do sometimes to get the job done then who will so why bother trying?

Who is their boss really?

I sense you are involved in many things and suspect you are not the face they deal with all the time.
Do they have a proper boss who ensures equity of workload?
A boss who can tell a slacker to smarten up or fire him because watching slackers getting away with things can really demoralise a group of workers.
A boss who can say thanks when credit is due?

If you otherwise like the business and if it makes you money I would go about saving it if you have the time and energy

I would ask the questions, get the feedback and address the issues.

I would get rid of the small minority that cannot be turned around.

I would make sure they have a boss that they recognise as their boss and who has his finger on the pulse.
A boss who treats the workload fairly, promptly ‘manages’ anyone who needs to be ‘managed’, and gives credit where credit is due.

Whether that boss will be be a mature competent TM or you backing up a junior TM/planner would depend on the time you can put in.

I would also invest in the youth. I would take on newbies and train them up. Pay them a little less for the time with a mentor driver and pay the mentor a little extra when mentoring. Win,Win.

If I knew young lads working on their class 1 or just after getting it I would have him around the yard to practice picking and dropping trailers, reversing and so on.
Then put the better ones in your hiring pool ready for when a vacancy comes up or holiday cover or whatever.

Personally I would not even bother with all that quasi-legal contract stuff as it will probably make matters worse. You cannot turn these guys around with their signitature on a dozen new documents of responsibilities.

All sticks and no carrots means you remain at war. What good is that?

Personally I would not do my dirty laundry in the TC’s office. It may appear you did not have control and are vindictive.

My 2 cents worth but I’m not an employer or business owner and I hope you get peace one way or the other sooner rather than later.

Hurryup&wait:
Personally I would not even bother with all that quasi-legal contract stuff as it will probably make matters worse. You cannot turn these guys around with their signature on a dozen new documents of responsibilities.

It’s going to be difficult not making this into a sermon so please bear with me…

The contract is not ‘quasi-legal’ as it’s part of English Law regarding job descriptions and a full listing of the requirements of a job being undertaken

Nobody mentioned a dozen documents, just one is necessary, laying out the terms and conditions of the job

Also legally the Operator has to maintain proper records of servicing, maintenance, damage rectification and defect management for all the vehicles under his control. He also has to be able to produce all these records if required.

Finally, let’s say I have a company called ‘Target’ transport. I have a driver who has had his licence revoked but I am unaware of this. One night he fell asleep on the motorway and a load of people were killed.

Do you really think that the people with large black briefcases won’t be looking at me very carefully soon?

The OP said at the beginning that he was worried about a major incident and the likely outcome. All we were trying to help with was the organisational aspects so it’s not quite so awful

good_friend:
The OP said at the beginning that he was worried about a major incident and the likely outcome. All we were trying to help with was the organisational aspects so it’s not quite so awful

Hi Goodfriend, absolutely not sounding like a sermon but a good discussion amongst people with various opinions who have a bit of time to kill.

I don’t think there is right and wrong answers, just different strokes for different folks.

I appreciate those refinements mentioned can improve an outfit that is going reasonably well and wants to improve. Here I fear the problems are too fundemantal for those to have any impact.

There are plenty of laws already in place on drivers hours, daily checks etc which have no influence on this motley crew. Thus I doubt a few refinements to the employment contracts will make much positive impact right now either.

Yes you will have something to hold up in court after the disaster for what little it is worth but the OP very honourably says he will shut down rather than allow that to happen.

To use football parlance the dressing room has been lost and the question is can it be gotten back.

A few bad apples in my opinion destroyed some great managers at Newcastle United some years ago and the fallout is still ongoing.

The great Jose treated a popular doctor very poorly down London way and he lost the dressing room and that team went from league champions to useless almost overnight. He couldn’t/wouldn’t get them back and their best manager ever had to go.

All I’m saying is normally useful administrative changes might not be cut it here so I’m not going to bother writing another letter to Mr 8 Hours reminding him of his duties and informing him he must not drive 8 hours without a break.

He and I are going to have a very robust discussion out of earshot of offendable women and children and he is not getting near the driving seat for the day. Instead he is spending the day around the yard with me cleaning and tidying and being useful. I’m directing and he’s cleaning and if he changes his way great and if not it’s Adious.

Now where is Mr. No Lights because he ain’t taking an unlit wagon out the gate again either and there is a shed that needs painting.

My late to the game tuppence worth! Be firm but fair, no favourites (or be very subtle about it!). Act promptly when you see things not to your liking. Take time to recruit quality staff, take up references. New staff should be on a suitable probation period with extensions to that if necessary to satisfy yourself. On a personal note I usually took about three months to weigh a job up and decide if it was for me so I’d suggest 6 months at least, more if you feel you’re one of the better than average employers. It will take that long for something of their true character to show. Make sure the decent lads you’ve got know they’re valued in some way. Good luck!

How did ti all pan out ?

Come on Steve, Must be time for an update, how did it all progress. Regards Tony.

He’s flounced. Check the first post. :unamused:

Playing Devil’s Advocate but a company owner’s definition of “good kit and money” is in my experience usually quite a world apart from a worker’s definition of same.

Rob K:

Playing Devil’s Advocate but a company owner’s definition of “good kit and money” is in my experience usually quite a world apart from a worker’s definition of same.

■■■■ me when did you come back :open_mouth:

chaversdad:

Rob K:

[zb] me when did you come back :open_mouth:

Lured back by the feedback forum… :wink: