Throwing in the Towel

fly sheet:
Jesus alive Contract Driver how on earth can You blame the new HOS rules for this quite glaringly obvious missing of the homeland, We have only been messing about at the moment for the last few weeks with these hours anyway, I don’t see how they are going to be too detrimental to us blokes from Canada anyway in all honesty as We grab a day the minute We cross the line.

I’m sorry for this not turning out for You but I really think it must be other circumstances & not three weeks of trying out the 168 hour rule that’s made Your mind up.

Anyway looks like You’ve made Your mind up, safe travels…Oh & I did see You the other week in Alberta & did wave…

Trust an Englishman to sit back and work out the implications of the new HOS rules,When he has worked it out in the long run he has come to the conclusion that they have made a real bad impact on his EARNINGS and HOME TIME,Then he has quite rightly made the decision to pack up and leave the north american trucking industry.

These new HOS have affected me allready,ie, Having hours left to run but no load till a day or two,So wait a day before my reset can start then begin reset,The truck is stood for a day i am stood for a day when i could have reset and been gone on my way EARNING MILES,Even to work in the recycle hours is not really an option,That makes a driver work more days to get the same miles and is not very good with time sensitive loads.

I have listened to drivers trying to figure out ways to get round this and work with it BUT not one of them or the companies has mentioned more PAY to recompence the drivers,As we all know mention of pay rises in Canada is a very taboo subject or its not even in the dictionary in Canadian trucking industry.

I wonder how the recruiter’s for the Red Team is going to explain this on their next looming round of interview’s in the UK.

Pat Hasler:
Having a word with a DOT officer earlier, he believes that very soon the 168 hour rule is going to be revoked, even he and most DOT police believe the rule is stupid. I do know there are some class actions being bought against the FMCSA opposing this issue.
It’s a shame Contractdriver can’t move down here, I could get him a job tomorrow and a damm good job at that :exclamation:

problem being whilst it is a “rule” it is enforceable. and will probably screw up a lot of peoples livelyhoods before it ever gets changed… cant you get me a job pat…

vastly exp:

fly sheet:
Jesus alive Contract Driver how on earth can You blame the new HOS rules for this quite glaringly obvious missing of the homeland, We have only been messing about at the moment for the last few weeks with these hours anyway, I don’t see how they are going to be too detrimental to us blokes from Canada anyway in all honesty as We grab a day the minute We cross the line.

I’m sorry for this not turning out for You but I really think it must be other circumstances & not three weeks of trying out the 168 hour rule that’s made Your mind up.

Anyway looks like You’ve made Your mind up, safe travels…Oh & I did see You the other week in Alberta & did wave…

Trust an Englishman to sit back and work out the implications of the new HOS rules,When he has worked it out in the long run he has come to the conclusion that they have made a real bad impact on his EARNINGS and HOME TIME,Then he has quite rightly made the decision to pack up and leave the north american trucking industry.

These new HOS have affected me allready,ie, Having hours left to run but no load till a day or two,So wait a day before my reset can start then begin reset,The truck is stood for a day i am stood for a day when i could have reset and been gone on my way EARNING MILES,Even to work in the recycle hours is not really an option,That makes a driver work more days to get the same miles and is not very good with time sensitive loads.

I have listened to drivers trying to figure out ways to get round this and work with it BUT not one of them or the companies has mentioned more PAY to recompence the drivers,As we all know mention of pay rises in Canada is a very taboo subject or its not even in the dictionary in Canadian trucking industry.

I wonder how the recruiter’s for the Red Team is going to explain this on their next looming round of interview’s in the UK.

If you have sat for a day waiting for a load, then A, you should be able to run without a reset by using recap, especially if you hadn’t run into your 70 before parking up and B, it should make no real difference to your take home pay, if you’re sitting around and not getting paid, that isn’t the fault of the FMCSA or the DOT, that’s your fault for accepting it as part of your job :unamused:

You say that companies should recompense drivers for waiting time and that pay rises are taboo in Canada, really? Have you asked?

I know quite a few drivers over here now and every one of them gets paid layover, some get more than others, but not one of them sits around without recompense and I know that my mates that also post on here have all had a pay rise in the last 6months, we all work for different companies too, so we can’t all be the exception to the rule :open_mouth:

Thank you to everyone for all your concern’s, all i know is that if your outgoings exceed your income, you are on a downward slippery slope which is difficult to recover from.

My ‘Guaranteed’ wages were $10.25 per hour ($143.50 per day) which i negotiated 3 months ago or mileage @ 43c per mile (Which ever was the highest on the day), the Guaranteed minimum i took home was $2000 Bi-Weekly and the most I ever took home was $2888 ($4100 before Tax) Bi-Weekly.

When the new USA H.O.S rules came out, the boss removed the hourly pay and said he would only pay miles and increased it to 45c per mile because we would be sitting around more in his word’s ‘‘watching TV or playing computer games’’ and he wasn’t going to pay us for that. I objected, (RE: Working for FREE post i made a few weeks ago because I wanted to see if this is the norm in Canada… and it is!) I was the only person who objected about ‘less pay for more time away’ and i made my voice heard, Canadian bosses don’t seem to be used to drivers ‘speaking out’ I told him he was ‘‘Taking the ■■■■’’ and I was quite angry… then 1 week later the Vice president of the company (who i could trust) resigned and several ‘Top Drivers’ resigned (Including my mentor) for ‘reasons unknown’.

My wife ( A 8 year ‘fully qualified’ optometrist ) got an ‘open work permit’ on the back of my LMO and got herself a job as a cleaner in our town for $15 per hour… plus expenses and she loved the job (no pressure), but she objected to me working all hours for ‘peanuts’ while she earnt 33% more + tips for wiping down someone’s kitchen worktop.

I liked the job, the work, the drivers, my truck, my destinations but I didn’t want to earn ‘just enough’ to survive… i want my family to ‘live’, not survive. I cant wait on a whim to see if the rules change, even if they did, it’s trying to find a ‘decent’ paid job in the two tier system they have

I guess the DOT may ‘ignore’ the rules in everyday circumstances, but if you have an accident of any sort, even a no fault accident and your logs are out (to current laws), the Law and Lawyers will ‘savage’ you… and if a death occurs, it will result in a long prison sentence!.. all of this for two thirds of money of a ‘cleaner’ and i doubt if i said ‘Trucknet’ users said it would be okay to ignore the rules will work in my defence! :open_mouth:

Flysheet: I must have waved at every Blue /Silver Striped Volvo with a stepdeck on i saw :laughing: and knew i would eventually get to wave at the right truck in the end!.. I think i was headed back from St Pauls AB to Nisku AB when i saw you arm go up. :grimacing:

Pat Hasler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jCJK_yDAeOM

Anyway, who said anything about going back to ‘Blighty’?.. i might not be as bonkers as ‘Duck’ :laughing: for travelling around ‘on a whim’… i have responsibilities :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:, but i’m now headed to a tropical destination without any ‘rules’… where a truck is waiting :grimacing:… will keep you all posted.

Have fun everyone, i know i am!

Col

newmercman:

vastly exp:

fly sheet:

If you have sat for a day waiting for a load, then A, you should be able to run without a reset by using recap, especially if you hadn’t run into your 70 before parking up and B, it should make no real difference to your take home pay, if you’re sitting around and not getting paid, that isn’t the fault of the FMCSA or the DOT, that’s your fault for accepting it as part of your job :unamused:

You say that companies should recompense drivers for waiting time and that pay rises are taboo in Canada, really? Have you asked?

I know quite a few drivers over here now and every one of them gets paid layover, some get more than others, but not one of them sits around without recompense and I know that my mates that also post on here have all had a pay rise in the last 6months, we all work for different companies too, so we can’t all be the exception to the rule :open_mouth:

The waiting time was at the home terminal(twice)!!!.So where’s the layover.

vastly exp:

newmercman:

vastly exp:

fly sheet:

So you don’t get paid to sit at home! Welcome to the club, there’s quite a few members :laughing:

newmercman:

vastly exp:

newmercman:

vastly exp:

fly sheet:

So you don’t get paid to sit at home! Welcome to the club, there’s quite a few members :laughing:

I do not expect to be paid sitting at home but i could have reset and gone back to work,While the waiting time for the reset to begin i could have done maybe up to a 1000 mile’s,So this month i have lost 1000 mile’s so far,12 month’s that’s a full 4 week’s pay gone.

Maybe this will or will not happen often when thing’s settle down but it aint looking too rosey at the moment.

Pat Hasler:

flat to the mat:
Read your [zb] signature regarding being adaptable to change and digest it . You haven’t been here that long , your family have just moved out and now on a whim it’s all back to that crap hole called Britain .
Take a reality check before you regret chucking this opportunity away , you’ve done the hard part as in getting established ,so get thinking re how you can make this situation work for you rather than bailing out immediately ,you will regret it .You don’t have to tolerate being away for ever , so can’t you just take the time away on the chin until PR is gained and other choices open for you rather than this knee jerk I’m off reaction ?

The ‘Crap hole called Britain’ isn’t such a crap hole, I would love to be able to pack up and move back. These riddiculous new laws are ruining everything for drivers, To have 4 or more days off duty but not have it actually count as a rest is completely stupid, whoever thought up this new rule should have been fired when he first came up with the idea. Contract Driver (I won’t use his real name because he has become a good friend) see’s what is going to happen. All you guys who are taken in by companies that come over there promising a good future driving in Canada are in for a shock, it ain’t no bed of roses, Taffy and Chunk can vouch for that, H&R conned them but they were lucky, they found better jobs out here.

Behave yourself Pat :unamused: For a start I’d challenge you to return to good olde Blighty and find a job which allows you the lifestyle that you currently have , firstly you wouldn’t , and if you managed to find a half decent job the moral/attitude/general conditions would have you climbing the walls within days .
Re your last sentence , there are a few fools who are taken in but most of us came here "eyes wide open " and I count Contract Driver as one of the latter , but it can be hard sometimes when you’re tied to one job until PR is granted ,which is why the majority of replies are telling him to hang with it before bailing out . Your not a glass half full type of person but there are some of us in Canada that are doing very well thank you , not been a bed of roses but anything worth having never is .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
For some reason you guys up there in the land of the Canuk seem to have a much better lifestyle than us down here in Yankie land. We don’t get away for weekends, don’t have quad bikes, guns, or any recreational vehcles, my lifestyle back in the UK when I look back was far better, I was in a pub every night, had a couple of holidays every year and went to France every couple of months, my leasure time was much better.

As for the job question … If you can get a US work permit and a good record I could get you a job.

What you say is true FTTM, but I thing our soon to depart friend has another iron in the fire, so rather than giving up and going back to the stuff that made him leave Britain, he’s going elsewhere and good luck to him :wink:

Pat, I’m with FTTM, what you had ain’t what you’d get now if you went back, face it, you’ve turned into a miserable old git, remember the old boys that said “It weren’t like that in my day”? Well that’s you now :laughing:

Ha ha ha, ‘Miserable old git’ … Old yes, miserable … No :laughing:
I am patriotic, I love my home country, I had a much better and less stress filled life back there. The cost of living in the USA has doubled since I came here 13 years ago, the pay has not, I used to fly back on holiday every year, we havn’t been able to afford to go for 3 years now. Kate’s health care has cost an absolute fortune, bundle that with Seth’s medical problems and it’s horrenous… Don’t ever complain about the good old NHS because this thieving system here needs replacing by a US NHS asap.

I personally don’t have a problem with England. I wasn’t unhappy with my life there before I came to Canada. I was simply bored with my job and there were almost no opportunities to further my need for adventure as the days of British trucks criss crossing Europe were at an end and the ever increasing bureaucratic regulation of the EU was making the job very unenjoyable so I gave Canada a try.
One thing I do feel very lucky about is that its absolutely impossible to get in to the US as a truck driver. There is plenty wrong about being a trucker in Canada, as there is in the UK, though they are generally different reasons. Yet, how much worse it would have been had I actually being able to move to the “Land of the Free” and put up with their never going home attitude, 8.75hrs a day for weeks/months on end, unaffordable healthcare and crime ridden towns and cities. I used to feel bitter that the country that gave birth to the USA wasn’t allowed to send its people there, while every other Tom, ■■■■ and Harry seemingly walks straight in and begins driving for Swift, Prime or whoever else with hardly a word of English. Now, after more than 4 years of seeing every part of America and talking to hundreds of Americans, what a superb spot of luck that the door is firmly closed to us.

Pat Hasler:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing:
For some reason you guys up there in the land of the Canuk seem to have a much better lifestyle than us down here in Yankie land. We don’t get away for weekends, don’t have quad bikes, guns, or any recreational vehcles, my lifestyle back in the UK when I look back was far better, I was in a pub every night, had a couple of holidays every year and went to France every couple of months, my leasure time was much better.

As for the job question … If you can get a US work permit and a good record I could get you a job.

Simple answer Pat come take the jump north of the border :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Both Chunk and I got taken it by the big red dream team but as been said we didnt get on with their way of working so we found another company and have landed on our feet now so dont have to give up on ‘living the dream’

I agree with you gotta give it 12 months to settle in and get used to the way of life over here, and ■■■■ i love it. In my job now the 168 hour rule dont really effect me, after reading this I took at the week i just done and thought I wonder…

Left Sunday afternoon for Belle Plaine Sk load monday morning back to Leth to change horses (mine was in the vets) then run with the load down to ID tip out reload and back up left again Thursday morning after a night at home with another load to ID tip reload back this morning (saturday) covered about 3500 miles total of 6 days worked. Horse in vets for yearly safety on Monday but if it wasnt for that I couldve pulled out Monday morning 06:00 not a problem no time off effected. I can see in a way how it would work on the long runs south but if you got to sit and wait 2 days to tip out then you just gained back 22 hrs driving so you could crack on and recap to get back tip out then home for reset. just my 2 cents worth

Wish you the best of luck in what ever you choose to do.

contractdriver:
I would load Tuesday at Nisku AB, I would drive Nisku to… lets say Houston Texas over abt 4 days, usually have a reset on the weekend (cos no one works to unload on weekends) Sat-Sunday and unload Monday AM, then drive to and load ‘wherever’ and run back up to Edmonton area asap (Within about 500-600 miles of Nisku) on a fresh 70, tip, then get back to load Nisku and run back down again, slotting resets in whenever i could, at either weekends or when i had used all my hours up (11 hours in 14) 70 in 6 days usually.

I can’t do this now, i can only START a reset every 168 hours. I can’t recap (not worth it) as i have usually used all my hours up so would have to have a 24 anyway, then am stuck on the hours i did a week ago.

Basically my take home pay has gone from about $2400 every two weeks to about $1600 because i can’t reset when it’s convenient. e.g Saturday and Sunday weekends and have to sit around elsewhere cos the company wont let me go unless I have a fresh 70.

I only get paid 45c a mile now, no extra money for anything else… and no minimum pay cos the boss said we will be sitting about more waiting to take ‘legal’ resets.

Out of the 38 mostly new Canadian drivers where i work (lots have left!) I was the only one who complained about the new pay structure change. :open_mouth:

I’m not wanting to be sat around away from home earning nothing so i jacked it!.. simple really!

It seems those who run paper logs are using a modified ‘old’ system and those of us on ‘electronic logs’ are stuck on the new rules and can see the ‘totally mentol’ restrictions popping up all the time.

I loved the job, i have no complaints about the company or my treatment there… but my pay going to suffer so i’m off!

I rarely passed my home before these HOS changes, but the company would let me drop my trailer on a ‘reset’ to go home, now i’m not gonna have the reset cos i’ve already had one, hence I am never able to go home on a ‘reset’.

I guess everyones work is different, all i know is that the new rules won’t work with my trips… unless i run ‘very illegally’.

I have never read such utter bs in all my life. You quite clearly do not understand any of the HOS regulations that you so easily blame for your early departure. 70hrs in 8 days and you have only driven for 4 and sat for 2 but claim to be out of hours lmfao.
Hope wire has me blocked on here too as he might be offended that i have spoken my mind :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

taffytrucker:
Simple answer Pat come take the jump north of the border :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I would truly love to Taffy, but my missus would never move away from this area. :frowning:

On the road again:
I have never read such utter bs in all my life. You quite clearly do not understand any of the HOS regulations that you so easily blame for your early departure. 70hrs in 8 days and you have only driven for 4 and sat for 2 but claim to be out of hours lmfao.
Hope wire has me blocked on here too as he might be offended that i have spoken my mind :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I understand fully as you don’t seem to. He does long haul most of the time, running out of hours and having to spend a couple of days because he has run out of hours would normally give him a reset, under the new HOS rules it doesn’t, he has to wait untill 168 hours after the start of his previous reset, there for he could sit around two or three days but it still wouldn’t count as a reset. It’s very simple, the new HOS laws are BS not this mans reasons for giving up.

Pat Hasler:
I understand fully as you don’t seem to. He does long haul most of the time, running out of hours and having to spend a couple of days because he has run out of hours would normally give him a reset, under the new HOS rules it doesn’t, he has to wait untill 168 hours after the start of his previous reset, there for he could sit around two or three days but it still wouldn’t count as a reset. It’s very simple, the new HOS laws are BS not this mans reasons for giving up.

The problem at my last job would have been as follows.

Have a 36 hour reset at home / yard. Start reset at 6pm Friday and Finish it at 6am Sunday.

Leave home at 6am Sunday morning on a 4400km trip to Idaho. We can do that in four shifts, given the first day is a 13 hour drive within Canada. That 36 hour reset plus 4 periods of 24 hours is 132 hours, and thats to the midnight of the fourth day worked, not the actual time we park up on day four at destination, but we’ll say 4 x 24 hours for simplicity.

Reload for home…but unfortunately we don’t have enough time to get back home on a 70 window because its too far to do the return trip so would require either a reset in Idaho, or one along the way, thus delaying the delivery of the load by a day and a half. This is very seldomly agreed to by the shipper/receiver who want the load delivering promptly as soon as its on the truck and as such the company almost always wouldn’t load you until you could make the return destination in one hit and would instead have you take a reset in Idaho…but wait, only 132 hours have passed and it’ll be ANOTHER 36 hours until 168 hours have passed, before taking an ADDITIONAL 36 hours for a reset.

The only other alternative is working your hours day to day on a rolling 70. But allowing you’re doing a 30 minute pre-trip and 15 minutes for fueling every day you’ll have as follows.

Sunday 13.75.
Monday 11.75.
Tuesday 11.75.
Wednesday 11.75 (Probably a bit less on the last day)

So this equals 49 hours of driving + on duty in only 4 days.

Thursday you’ll tip which only takes 15 minutes and provided the reload doesn’t take long you can easily achieve another 11.75, except it’ll be 12.25 for allowing 15 minutes to tip and to reaload each. So by Thursday evening you’re at 61.25

Which leaves only 8.75 for Thursday and a few thousand km’s short of destination and no time gained back until Sunday evening, which will be 3 periods of 24 hours later.

Either way you’re going to be waiting for between 24 and 36 hours BEFORE you can BEGIN a reset, 36 if you wait in Idaho or 24 if you continue down the road and run out your 70. Or 72 hours before regaining 13.75 from day one.

Now obviously if I’d of had more than 36 hours off at home prior to the trip, 3 days lets say, I’d legally be able to take a reset the minute I got to Idaho but in this job thats not always possible and the above scenario is a very real representation of the job that I have been doing, its not something I’ve made up or read about so lets not pretend I’m some sort of illiterate and innumerate idiot and put a load of smiley faces in response to something I’ve written to imply I’m some kind of fool for saying what I have.

The eg that contract driver gave came nowhere near that number of hours so his argument does not make sense, as he himself stated he had only used …quote “4 and a bit days” to get to Houston then sat for 2 days so why would he ever need a reset doing that?

Pat Hasler:

On the road again:

He doesn’t need to wait 168 hours when he has more than 20 hours left after 4 and a bit days driving and 2 days sitting does he■■?