This weeks adventures

Thursday got off to a bad start… I clearly remember double-checking that I’d set my phone to go off at 0540 but I was awakened by the most annoying sound of chain-saws and the sun blasting through the cab curtains that suddenly alerted me to the fact that it was probably well past the time my alarm was set for :open_mouth: . Not wrong, the clock said 0640 :open_mouth: and some geezers had decided the chop some branches off the nearby trees. Dare I say it but I was grateful to them for making such a din as I probably would have slept for another hour or so waiting for the alarm to go off otherwise.

I quickly got myself consposed and muttered some excuses at the in gate to Lewis’s.

“Ah, don’t worry about it, we’re not strict about booking times here”

Crikey :open_mouth: . Must make a note in my diary of that and inform the likes of Tesco’s etc…

There was a wagon already tipping in the middle of the yard so I took that opportunity to find the toilet and wash room and made myself a tad more presentable.

I was soon tipped there and got away about 0710. Belled the office and received instructions to go to York Barbell fitness equipment in Daventry which is down the last turn on the right before the main Daventry roundabout (opposite the filling station) if you’re coming in from the A5/M1 end (I came up the A5). They don’t start while 0800 and it was 0755 when I turned up there.

“You want a load for Acton Gate”, I’ve been before but couldn’t remember where it was or who it was for that matter.

Went in and saw the warehouse geezers.

“Acton Gate eh :question:. That’s not going to be ready for another 2-3 hours at least”.

Another call to the office.

Zebidee. Come out of there and go to CPD at Wellesbourne please. You’ll have a trailer out of there for Toys R Us at Coventry. The address you want is M40 Distribution Park”.

I can’t remember which county Wellesbourne is in but anyway, I didn’t have a street map for it and didn’t know where this distribution park was. I decided to head towards Warwick and then took a left along some B-road - Fosse Way perhaps :question: - and then took a right about 5 mile after going over the top of the M40 and went into Wellesbourne that way. Went through the town centre and saw a sign for industrial estates - Airfield Ind Est in fact - and decided to follow that. I later learned from the security man that M40 Distribution Park hadn’t been known as that for as long as he could remember and it was correctly Wellesbourne Distribution Park. I asked if CPD were in here and he said yes but they’ve got about 13 different warehouses on site, which one did I want :question: :open_mouth: :confused:. Well I don’t know :confused: .

“You’d best go to warehouse 13 which is the main drivers office and they’ll direct you from there”.

Drove in and took a left as directed and there’s CPD on my right. Drove in the yard and collared the fork lift guy. Told me I was in the wrong place and directed me to where I needed to be. Dropped the trailer as instructed and picked up another one which had been part loaded but I needed to go over the far side to load the rest on. Went over there and waited my turn behind two of our own motors and a Woolies FM. It was very hot outside and everytime I opened the bloody window a wasp or ten decided to come in and have a nosey :angry: . As I’m very allergic to wasp stings and need urgent medical attention if stung this does create a problem. With no air-con on these units it’s even worse but it had to be done so I closed both windows and set the blower on speed 4 which kind of did the trick. At least the air was being stirred around even if it was warm.

When a pallet truck was lifted onto the trailer I wasn’t amused. Loaded 12 pallets on and lost about the same amount of pints in perspiration :open_mouth: in the process. Back over to the other side to get my paperwork and managed to get a good gander at the young lass in the office with a see-through top and ultra low bottoms :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: (best part of the week :grimacing:).

With directions for Toys R Us off I went onto the A46 up to the M69/M6 then hung a couple of lefts on to the A4600 then another left into the Ind Est and there’s Toys R Us on the right, just at the side of the UPS hub. Only two bays and there’s a trailer on one of them so I jumped out and rang the bell. No answer, so I rang it some more and then some more… Eventually I got bored of that so I belled up the office and told them the craic.

“What do you mean there’s only two bays :question:. There’s about fifty there”.

Anyway, I’d gone to the shop rather than the RDC which is the other side of the UPS hub :unamused:.

Eventually I found it and pulled in and went to see security. We got chatting and he was telling me about all the cameras around the site and he could see what anyone was doing at any time etc. Well good for you I thought.

Off I goes round to the far side to book in and the lass told me to put it on bay 7.

"Do you want the keys bringing in :question: "

“No, you keep them”. :open_mouth: Crikey :exclamation:

So, put it on bay 7 and noticed that every bay from where I was up to the far end (bay 50 ish probably) was occupied so I expected to be there for a while. It was too hot to sleep but I got on the bunk and managed to get about 45 mins in before I was awoken by some clown shouting in the warehouse.

“… ■■? bay 7 can you ■■?”. :open_mouth:

Because he was in the warehouse I couldn’t hear what he was saying so I got my boots on and went to the office.

"One of your warehouse guys is shouting about bay 7 which is the one I’m on, what’s the problem like :question: ".

“You’re tipped, there’s your paperwork” :open_mouth: .

“You could do with getting some traffic lights so we know what’s happening, especially as the drivers keep the keys. They could misinterpret what the warehouse guys are saying and pull off the bay with someone on the back”. :confused:

She wasn’t bothered so I left, closed the shutter on the trailer and drove round to security.

“Just need to have a look in the back of the trailer”. No probs.

“We do random cab searches too so I’ll just have a look round your cab”.

“No offence mate, but you won’t. What’s in the cab is private stuff and nothing to do with you, the management, nor connected with the delivery”.

“Sorry drive but those are the site rules that random cab searches are carried out”.

“I couldn’t give two hoots :exclamation:. You’re not searching my cab, end of story. That cab is my home from Monday to Friday and no-one enters it without my consent. I’ll tell you what though, I’ll do you a deal. You tell me where you live and give me your house keys and I’ll go to your house, let myself in and have a good nosey round your house and then I’ll let you have a nosey in my cab, deal :question:”.

“Don’t be ridiculous”.

“Anyhow, you said to me when I entered the site an hour ago that you have cameras all over the site that could tell you what everyone’s doing at any time, so I’ll tell you what, you go back to your little hut and rewind your tapes and then you’ll be able to see for yourself what I’ve been doing and where I’ve been and you’ll see that I’ve been nowhere except from my cab to the office okay :question:. Besides, where are the signs saying that random cab searches will be carried out upon entering the site :question:. As far as I can see there aren’t any so sorry to disappoint you but you’ve picked a fight with the wrong driver, mate”. As he’d left the barrier up I concluded by saying, “if that’s all, I’m going, ta-ra”.

Jobs-worths, I hate them.

I belled the office up to find out where I was going from there and I was supposed to be going to Guildford for a load for Friday morning tip at Welwyn Garden City but after looking up the address the phone went again telling me to ditch that and go back to CPD for another load back to Toys R Us :unamused: .

Got down there and got loaded for the second run. When I’d finished and shut the trailer door I asked the forkie if I could use the toilet and needed to wash my hands as well.

“Yeah sure, go into the warehouse and follow the yellow lines and it’s on your right about half way down”.

Got most of the way down and a white shirt came running over to me and said

"Where do you think you’re going :question: "

"To the toilet for a ■■■■■ and to wash the muck off my hands, is that alright :question: "

“No it’s not alright, drivers aren’t allowed to use the toilets. You’ll have to find one elsewhere”.

"Oh will I :question:. It’s people with ‘I’m important’ attitude’s like you that really zebidee us off, thinking you can treat us like zebidee and get away with it. You’re clearly another one that obviously expects all the food in Tesco’s when you do your weekly shop gets there by magic eh :question: . Zebidee. You gonna let me use the toilet then or am I going to be forced to ■■■■■ in your yard :question: "

“Go ahead and try it. I’ll get you arrested and banned from the park”.

That’s the wrong thing to say to me as I don’t take zebidee from anyone, especially the ‘I’m important’ brigade. Although I would have slashed in his yard without worry on this occasion I decided the better plan of action would be to go and see the top banana in the main office over the other side and tell him the tale which I promptly went and did. He asked what he looked like so I told him,

“Yeah, I know exactly who you mean. I shall most certainly be having a few words with him about that. Drivers are entitled to use the toilet facilities as much as anyone else and the person you refer obviously has some sort of attitude problem. Come with me, I’ll take you to the one here but I’ll need to accompany you to it because of the goods we have in the warehouse are of a sensitive nature” (not sure what’s so sensitive about cuddly toys and board games but there you go…).

Second drama of the day over with and I got back to Toys R Us at Coventry, drove in the gate and out comes Cpt. Jobs-worth again, waving his hands madly at me to stop.

“You can’t come in here, we’re closed”.

"You’re closed :question: . You’re kidding right :question: :exclamation: . It’s only 4.15 :open_mouth: ".

“You’ll have to back it up as there’s a wagon waiting to get in behind you”.

“You just said you were closed so how come he’s allowed in”.

“Well he’s a Toys wagon”.

“Oh right” - :grimacing: :smiling_imp:

Belled the office up and told them.

“Right, take the trailer in to the UPS hub round the corner and drop it off. How much time have you got left :question: (told him). Right okay, pick up a loaded trailer for Argos Bridgwater for 0700 tomorrow please Rob”.

“Right-o, will do”.

It was about 1630 by this time and the sky suddenly went very dark. Five minutes later there was a crack of lightning and then the Heaven’s opened :open_mouth:. Crikey, it was the heaviest down-pour I’ve seen so far this year :confused:. I took shelter in the cab for 15 mins whilst it passed. While I was sat in the cab the bell rang and it was some geezer from H & S at Ossett.

“We’ve just had a driver lose a trailer who’s driving one of the newer DAF XF’s and upon inspection it turned out that the spring retaining bolt on the king pin lever had worked lose and dropped out, thus rendering the spring springless which in turn means that there’s nothing holding the king-pin in. You’re in VXY which is one of the same models so as a matter of urgency can you check it right now and let me know if the bolt is loose or not”.

“Crikey :exclamation:. Yeah sure” (the rain had just about stopped by this point).

So I jumped out and had a look. The mechanism on the later (non new shape) XF’s involves the king-pin level with like an inner lever which is spring-loaded. You pull both together when you want to disconnect the pin. Upon examination it turned out that the bolt on mine was on it’s last legs and looked like it was about to fall out :open_mouth:. There was certainly plenty of the thread visible.

Although Coventry hub doesn’t have a garage on site I managed to borrow a 10mm spanner from another driver and tighten it up some but unfortunately it looked like the bolt had been damaged at some point and it was bent near the top which obviously prevented it screwing all the way home. It was in far enough for now and as I would be home tomorrow I’d do a proper defect for it then.

That done, I was on my way to Argos Bridgwater, Taunton Road. I made a fatal error and went along the M6 and down the M42 where the 50mph is… What a mistake :exclamation:. Numpty-o-rama’s braking to 35mph to go past the speed cameras and the queues were backing up big stylee. I hate that bit of road; 'bout time they gor their fingers out of their behinds and finished it.

Not knowing Bridgwater at all, I came off on the top end (J23 :question: ) and trolled into Bridgwater that way. I knew that Taunton Road was the A38 but wasn’t sure where it started and finished. Got through Bridgwater and out the other side and still no sign of it. Eventually got to J24 where Bridgwater services is and drew a blank. What now :question:. A-ha, where does this road go past the services :question:. Went down there and found Somerfield RDC plus another Somerfield RDC and with it being dark and the road saying it was a dead-end I jumped out and asked the security guys if they knew where it was.

“Yeah, it’s there in front of you says one of them” :open_mouth: .

And he was right, I couldn’t see it for looking :grimacing:.

After perusing the area for a suitable spot to ditch I decided that it was all too hilly for my comfort so came back to the big lay-by outside Somerfield and parked up for the night there.

I took my tacho out and then looked at it in horror to discover that it was now 2200 and I’d started at 0600 that morning :open_mouth: :open_mouth:. I can’t believe that I’d made such a miscalculation but in hind-sight I was thinking too much about needing 9hrs off before starting Friday that I’d totally forgotten about my start time that day. I’ve written that to the effect on my tacho and as I’ve never done this before I’m hoping it will hold weight :open_mouth:

16hrs in the bag equates to £170 plus £20 night out money.

Friday & Saturday next :slight_smile:

Friday dawned hot and sunny yet again in the South-West and how I yearned for a nice cool shower :frowning: . Got a decent wash as best I could with the water I had with me and instantly felt better for it.

Started her up and drove down to Argos’s gate to find a button on the fence rather than a security kiosk as such. Prodded the button and no reply, so I prodded it some more, no reply. Getting annoyed now so I gave it one of those parcel delivery man type prods - you know, where you hold it down like it’s got stuck until someone appears or something happens :grimacing: .

Eventually, the gate opens without anything being said and I drive in closely followed by another non-Argos artic. I went sailing off across the yard looking for the goods in office but couldn’t see it anywhere :confused:. The artic behind me had stopped in the middle of the yard and the driver got out and walked in between a couple of the bays so figuring that he looked like he knew what he was doing I reversed back up alongside him, jumped out and followed him in.

“Have you had your seal checked by security :question:

“No, there’s isn’t any security, the gate opened and I drove in :exclamation:

“Security is round the other side of the building. You need to go round there first and get your seal checked then come back here”.

FFS :angry:. More zebideeing about. So I did that and came back, gave them my paperwork, they gave me the paperwork for my empty, did a drop and swap and away I went". Phew :confused:

Belled the office up and asked where to now.

“Over to Croydex at Andover please Rob. You’ll be picking up a load for Wolverhampton for next Friday. It’s on Central Way, Walworth Ind Est”.

Now Berkshire is another area I don’t have an OS map for so I belled up my mate Keith and he said he didn’t know where it was exactly but he reckoned it was signposted off the A303. That’ll do for me. Now then, which way is best to go. I decided to run down the M5 another junction and come off at J25 and run down to Ilminster and then hang a left on the A303 and follow that all the way along; seemed the most logical route anyway.

Had only been on the A303 five minutes and a topline artic coming the other way was madly flashing his light bars at me and giving me the thumbs down :open_mouth:. I gave him a wave of thanks and even though it’s a single-carriageway there’s a “middle” overtaking lane which swaps priority from each direction over the course of it. I was doing 50mph as I consider that a safe speed for the road and although I would happily do 56mph along there I don’t want to get nobbled by a gatso. I think 40mph is bloody dangerous and I refuse to do it for that very reason. Anyway, 600 yards along and there he is sat on the verge in his Mercedes Vito with cameras out of holes in the back windows :grimacing:. Ha :exclamation: Saw you first, swivel on that :smiling_imp: (and gave him the bird :grimacing:).

The A303 is a bloody long road and it was 1100 before I got to Andover and true to his word (Keith), the Ind Est was indeed sign-posted. Found the place with relative ease, dumped the trailer on a bay and then retraced my steps to the burger van I’d passed on the way in. In all my time driving that had to be the cleanest van I’d ever seen :exclamation:. It was 1115 by this time and the woman behind the counter said I was the third customer all day, crikey :exclamation: :open_mouth:. I wanted a jacket ‘tatey’ but she didn’t have any so I reluctantly decided on a double cheese-burger instead which was actually the best one I’d ever eaten - well recommended, although £3 was a bit steep. I can get the same for £2.40 in the Ind Est near me :open_mouth:.

Belled the office up and it wanted to be dropped off at the Derby hub so straight up the A34/M40/A43 to Rothersthorpe where I found myself about 15 minutes behind my mate Keith who was running northbound too. For some reason the traffic had come to a halt there at about 1330 and it must have taken about a half hour to get through it. A quick consultation on the bell with Keith had us pulling off at J18 and running up to Night-Howl on the A5 for a 45.

I nearly had a fit when two tea’s and a scone came to £2.90 - I kid you not :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:. Alright, the tea’s were 95p each and a ‘bottomless cup’ offer was on, but how many cups of tea can you have in 45 minutes :question:. In the end I came up with a cunning plan and cancelled one of the tea’s. I sneakily found myself a dirty cup awaiting cleaning and nipped in to the wash room to give it a quick swill out. With a bit of careful planning we actually had two tea’s a-piece for the price of one on its own, technically four for the price of one :grimacing:. Still, a jam and butter scone at a quid is a rip-off and I won’t be stopping there again, be it for parking or food :open_mouth:.

Came out of there and followed Keith back to the M1 and rejoined at Lutterworth. We then had a right ol’ ding-dong[/b] with a van driver and a caravaning family who obviously thought they were part of the ‘I’m important’ club and thought they owned the road. Of course it was unknown to them that the artic in front of me was a personal friend of mine so they both came off worse when they tried to force there way in between us. I won’t go into details of what we did as the do-gooders will leap out of the wood-work but it resulted in both the van driver and the woman passenger of the caravan combo consulting with each other and writing down reg numbers and companies etc.
Keith wasn’t bothered as he was driving a plain white unit and a lease trailer and they won’t get far with UPS as it’s a central track-my-parcel number. Anyhow, Keith said he’d happily act as alibi if anything came of it. Zebidee 'em, they’ll never learn anyway but they don’t get away with nearly killing me lightly.
Got up to the Derby depot and dropped the trailer off and then belled the office to find out which trailer I’d be bringing back to Ossett.
“You want a tri-axle box trailer and you’re running empty to Costco at Magna Park for a load for Costco 0830 tomorrow morning then when you’ve tipped that, straight back here and that’s you done”. Crikey :open_mouth:, I thought I was gonna be going home. Good job I didn’t have anything planned for Saturday. :confused:
Straight out of Derby down the A6 for the M1 and into Donington Park where that much needed shower was had. I wish they’d get some ventilation in those cubicles or something as you end up sweating more when you’ve come out than you did before you went in which kinda defeats the object of the exercise :confused: :confused:.
Back on to the M1 and what’s this on the northbound side between J23 and J23A :question:. Crikey, there’s a BF Waste artic tipper parked up in the middle lane having a tyre changed by the looks of it, with the plod blocking the outside lane and everything forced to go past on the hard shoulder :exclamation:. Haven’t seen the traffic backed up so much for a long time, well past J23, then J22, all the way down the hill to nearly J21A :open_mouth:. According to my map book which has the mileages on between the junctions, that’s some 13 odd miles of standing traffic :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:. Did anyone get caught in it :question:
I got into Magna Park and eventually found Costco up the top end, went in and did a drop and swap, then on to the weighbridge to tip the scales at 37.9 tonnes which is the most I’ve pulled weight wise this week.
Wanting to get as far north as possible before I park up for the night I totally avoided the M1 at that point and went up the A5, then up the A444 to eventually join on to the A42 and come out at J23A on the M1; plain sailing after that :slight_smile: and missed all that chaos on the M1 just before Donnie Park :sunglasses: .
Could only do a 13hr spread today so my time was up at 2000 and I’d done 9hrs driving when 1930 came round so that obviously required another break so I decided to call it a night and pull off at J30 and park up at the Treble Bob. Went in there and had a lasagne and a cracking night with some of the locals there. The scenery was cracking as well :grimacing: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: .
12.75 hours in the bag equating to £128.56 and another £20 night out.

I never got round to negotiating a more favourable rate for Saturday but Chris said he’d pay £44 for a minimum of 4 hours and then £11/hr thereafter. Brilliant if you do 3hrs or less, not so brilliant if you do more. As it happened I only did 3 hrs work up to leaving the yard for home so I’m not grumbling at £14.67/hr … :slight_smile: .
Today was another hot one and I got away about 0715 for Costco Leeds which is just off Hunslet Road near Reg Vardy Vauxhall. Got up there for 0815 and one of the warehouse guys came out to check the seal before I opened the doors.
“Right, back it on bay 1, chock the trailer wheels with the chocks provided and bring your keys in when you’re on please”.
Went inside with my hi-vis on and handed my keys in to guy and started walking back out to the wagon.
“You can’t sit in your wagon when we’re unloading you”.
"Why not :question: "
“Health & Safety issue”.
"Health & Safety issue with regards to what exactly :question: ".
“Don’t ask me, those are the rules”.
"What’s the problem, the trailer’s chocked, you’ve got the keys, what more ‘Safety’ do you want :question: "
“Those are the rules mate”.
“Fine, I’ll drop the trailer then. There’s no H & S issue then as I’m not connected to the load anymore and you can do what you like it”.
“No mate, you can’t do that either as that’s a Health & Safety issue. You’ve got to wait in here”.
"I haven’t got to do zebidee all. If I’ve got to stay in the warehouse then you will be providing me with refreshments, toilet facilities and something to sit on right :question: "
“Yes, there’s a chair there (points to the cheapest hard plastic ‘sit-up & beg’ chair you’ve ever seen) and just ask someone if you need to use the toilet. Drivers aren’t allowed in the canteen”.
Absolutely fuming at this I sat down on the “chair”, debated my next move and weighed up the situation. If I kicked off about “I’m not sitting on that, I’m going back to my cab etc”, they’d be sure to refuse to tip me and moan to UPS about it which might cost me the contract, which is it really worth it, considering the cushty number I’m on. Hmmm…
To complete the visual picture, this chair was at the outer corner of the warehouse office and I had forklift trucks roaring past me no further than 3ft away without anything in between them and me in way of protection, and I can honestly say I was rather concerned for my toes, never mind the fact that if one of the drivers lost his grip on the wheel or something at that proximity, I’d be most likely severely injured. On top of that was the fact that a forklift’s width away from me (ie. the forklifts drive through a narrow gap in between me and the pallets) there were full pallets of coke and beer stacked 3 high on top of each other and if one of those were to be knocked or even one collapse, the whole lot would fall on my head :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Collared the guy in the office :
“Can you get my your Health & Safety manager please”.
“She’s not in today”.
“Can you write her name down on a piece of paper with a contact number and also the manager’s name and number please”.
I now have both and once I send this on its way I shall be compiling a strong letter to them about my experiences there today.
I intended to tell UPS about this but in the hustle and bustle later on I forgot about it. I shall make it clear that I won’t be going there again if asked and I shall tell them why.
Whilst all this was happening down at Costco a Turners/Hargreaves XF driver rolled up to tip and I told him the craic. He was less than amused as well and also wanted the details of the H & S manager and store manager to contact. Hope he follows it up; might just get something changed here instead of being treated like dirt :angry: . Unbelievable :open_mouth: .
Eventually escaped from there at 0915, straight back to Ossett, got washed off and parked up and the tm said he was very pleased with my work and back in Monday at 0700 please :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
3 hrs in the bag for today which equates to £44.
Total hours for the week was 73.25 including breaks (which are paid) so that equates to a weekly topline of £769.69 plus £100 tax free for the night outs. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

Great read Rob,I certainly miss my days on the road,I remember parking in the middle of a market town (cant remember where now) and waking up to a lot of noise, pulled the curtain and there was a market set up round me , the ropes for the stalls tied to the mirror arms,that took some getting out of.
thanks for the read,regards derek

trucking482002:
Great read Rob,I certainly miss my days on the road,I remember parking in the middle of a market town (cant remember where now) and waking up to a lot of noise, pulled the curtain and there was a market set up round me , the ropes for the stalls tied to the mirror arms,that took some getting out of.
thanks for the read,regards derek

:grimacing: No way did they use your wagon as anchorage while you were kipping :grimacing: :grimacing:.

Glad my efforts aren’t wasted anyway :slight_smile:

Appreciate the work you must have put into this Rob! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

A very good read!!! :laughing: :laughing: :slight_smile: :wink:

Good stuff Rob.

10 out of ten for being a good typer and titanic effort Rob, I admit I aint read it all tho M8, as I got knacked!

Great stories Rob, you certainly had a variety of work last week. Interesting your bit about the M1 on Friday, I was on my way from Rugby to Ashby and saw the matrix signs flashing before 21A so I diverted onto the Leicester bypass and got off again at the A50 to carry on to Ashby. Lucky escape me thinks.

Keep up the stories and hope you get somewhere with Costco Leeds, that sounds very unsafe to me. Strange isn’t it, the different interpretations put on Health and Safety at work by different companies, all to meet the same law…

Calv

A good read Rob, But just to let you know, even if you had a map of Berkshire it would not have helped you as Andover is in Hampshire. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

smcaul:
A good read Rob, But just to let you know, even if you had a map of Berkshire it would not have helped you as Andover is in Hampshire. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, that’s true :exclamation:. It was a North Hants map I didn’t have - the Berkshire map was for Wellesbourne which I didn’t have either :grimacing:

Rob.I was parked at Grahams at J24/M5 Bridgewater on Thursday night.

However by 22.00hours,I was well on my way in the pub,if you get my drift,which is virtually next door to the services,and the layby you were in.

Ken.

Quinny:
Rob.I was parked at Grahams at J24/M5 Bridgewater on Thursday night.

However by 22.00hours,I was well on my way in the pub,if you get my drift,which is virtually next door to the services,and the layby you were in.

Ken.

Ah well…

Sorry Rob ,Wellesbourne is in Warwickshire?. Good read and thanks.
Regards derek
[/quote]

trucking482002:
Sorry Rob ,Wellesbourne is in Warwickshire?. Good read and thanks.
Regards derek

[/quote]

Ah zebidee :unamused: . That’s right as I haven’t got a Warks map either :exclamation:. I had a delivery or collection recently somewhere in Berks and I haven’t got a map for that area. Can’t think what town it was though. What are the key towns in Berkshire :question:

Rob,
Key towns in Berkshire are:
Reading
Newbury
Slough
Maidenhead

I think thats all of them.

Rob, Rolling around on the floor and laughing my sorry ■■■ off about several things, especially the warehouse Numpty. Did you see the blonde girl at Costco with the Marigolds? I reckon she’s lovely. She keeps cleaning everything. She can do my place anytime (sorry) :unamused: :wink: .

Liberace:
Rob, Rolling around on the floor and laughing my sorry ■■■ off about several things, especially the warehouse Numpty. Did you see the blonde girl at Costco with the Marigolds? I reckon she’s lovely. She keeps cleaning everything. She can do my place anytime (sorry) :unamused: :wink: .

Nah, didn’t see any chicks down there. All I was seeing was RED :angry:

UPS Haulfast again this week, but it will be my last …

Monday saw a 0700 start to take a loaded trailer down to Argos Barton RDC near Burton-on-Trent. Got there for 1030 and booked in with a very pleasant security man at the gate-house. With this RDC being Argos’s biggest and premier site they have a different set of rules here to all the others I’ve been to. You have to declare any valuables on the gate-pass sheet before entering the site so that when they do a cab search on your exit they can exclude them as being stolen :open_mouth:. Personally I think it’s pathetic but as it was Monday and I’d only been at work 2 minutes so-to-speak, it was a bit early to kick up a fuss.

“Park it on the left somewhere and then goods-in is the bit in the middle, half way down on the left side of the building”.

Trailers dumped everywhere as usual and there was nowhere to park it so I joined the dumping brigade and did the same.

Went and told goods-in I was there and gave them my paperwork including the gate-pass.

“Yeah drop it off and then get yourself an empty, write the number on the gate-pass and then you’re away”.

“Which trailers are empty?”.

“Dunno, you’ll have to have a look yourself”. :unamused:

I went outside and collared the shunter (the £90/shift 7am-3pm shunter…) and asked him where he wanted my full trailer leaving.

“Erm… If there’s no spaces anywhere, drop it on bay 15 between your other two on 14 and 16”.

Did that and then got a drenching as the rain decided to have one of it’s many mad spells this week and went in search of an empty trailer. None to be found anywhere so informed goods-in of this and

“We’ll get one tipped for you ASAP”.

Went back to my cab and made a few phone calls and generally tossed it off for 2 hours. I belled the office and told them the situation. They belled me back about 1245 and asked for an update.

“Still sat here and none of our trailers have moved and the ones either side of me are still full”.

“Right… See if they’ve got a returns trailer anywhere”.

Spoke to goods-in.

“We might have. If any of them have got a yellow seal on the back then that’s one of our seals and is a returns trailer yeah”.

Found a trailer with a yellow seal on it and went back to goods in with the number.

“I don’t have that one listed here. What’s on the back of it ?”.

“How the hell do I know ?! It’s sealed up. Don’t you know? It’s your returns…!?”

“Erm… go and crack the seal off and see what’s in the back”.

Did that and had a look but no paperwork or markings at all apart from an Argos catalogue number so went back and told them. He asked what the number was which I have him and said he’d check it out to find out where it was going back to but in the meantime, connect up to it because I’d be taking it. No probs then. Did that and came back in for returns notes…

“We still can’t find the returns paperwork for it. I don’t understand it”.

Meanwhile the shunter came in and told me that the trailer on bay 14 had a green light so given the problems with the returns paperwork we decided that I’d leave that and take the empty instead. Went outside and disconnected the trailer and pulled out from under. Went over to bay 14 and started reversing under it when I saw the light was red not green. :confused: Collared the shunter again and told him it was still red and he argued that it was green and came over to show me, only to find I was right :confused:. It turned out he’d actually looked at bay 15 which was green…

“Oh well I meant bay 15 which has got a green light”.

“Yeah it’s green because it’s full”.

“What do you mean?”.

“That’s the full trailer I’ve just brought in here which you told me to put on 15”.

“Well it’s got a green light”.

“Yeah because they haven’t started it yet, doh”.

“Oh right, well have you pressed the button to turn the light to red?”

“Which button?”

“The one on the wall next to the bay”.

“No, no-one told me about it”.

:unamused:

By this time it was just gone 1300 and there was still nothing doing and they still couldn’t find the paperwork for the returns one. I then suggested to the goods-in man that maybe the trailer was actually a full one waiting to be tipped and someone had cracked our seal off to see what was inside and had re-sealed it with one of their own.

“Ahhhhh yesssss! That’s right, I remember now”. :unamused:

I belled the office and told them which they laughed at. Bored at me waiting around doing nothing, they said to pull out of there bob-tail and run up to Derby depot for a Tesco’s Coventry. Coventry :question:. I wasn’t aware there was a Tesco RDC there.

Got round to the gate-house…

“Hiya drive’, have you got your gate-pass please?”

“No, goods-in took it off me”.

“Well you need it to get out”.

“I’m not being funny but you need to tell them that, not me!”.

“Sorry, can’t let you out without it”.

“Well they took it off me”.

“Well you’ll have to go back and get it I’m afraid”.

:angry:

“I don’t have a trailer though, I’m just unit only”.

“Doesn’t matter”.

Went back to goods-in with my temper beginning to show its head…

“Security won’t let me out without my gate-pass so can I have it back please?”

“Yeah sure, ermm, do you know where it is?”

“No, your colleague took it off me”.

“Oh, [much looking around]. I can’t find it”.

“Well I need it to get out”.

“Right. Erm, I’ll phone them up. Hi, this is ‘blah’ in goods-in. We’ve got a UPS driver here wanting his gate-pass but we can’t find it, can you let him go without one? [answer was clearly “no” at the other end]. Riiiiight… What can we do then? [needed to bell reception apparently so lass told reception the tale and they said bell the gate-house :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: ]”

Long and short of it was that I’d need to sign in and out as a contractor so eventually got away 30 minutes later :unamused: .

So to sum up Argos :

1. They can’t manage to tip any of our 8 trailers there in 4 hours.
  2. The shunters can’t tell the difference between red & green.
  3. The goods-in staff don’t know what day it is and it takes nothing for them to lose paperwork.

Conclusion : blind leading blind :grimacing:.

It was about 1430 before I was ready to go with the trailer from Derby and my OS map of Coventry didn’t show the Ind Est nor the road of the address.

Tesco TBG
Prologis Park
Centurion Way
?
Coventry

The ‘?’ bit was the name of the area just south of J3 of the M6 on the A444 but I can’t remember what it was off the top of my head. I headed for that area and came off at J3 and ran down the A444 into the roadworks. There’s an Ind Est on the left with a big Makro and thought it might have been down there but it wasn’t and I had a hell of a job trying to reverse the trailer into a narrow gate-way to turn round.

As there was a lot of new building work going on a bit further down the A444 I decided to investigate further. I got to the roundabout and noticed a sign saying Prologis park to the right so round I went. It eventually takes you up to the Park and there’s a huge Exel RDC (Safeway’s I think) on the left but it says Tesco’s on my sheet so that can’t be right. The road looks like it’s about to end and go into a housing estate but it actually loops round in a horse-shoe shape and eventually the road comes to an end and Tesco’s is there on the left hand side.

Drew up to the gate-house and saw the folks there.

“Had some trouble finding this place. It’s not on any maps”.

"Yeah you’re the fifth driver to say that and you’re the fifth driver to come here as we only opened today :exclamation: :open_mouth: ". Crikey!

“Oh right. Brand new distribution centre with brand new effecient staff to manage it so that means I’ll be on a bay, tipped, paperwork signed and away in half an hour then also to be greeted with a ‘how are you drive’, nice journey down? and would you like a free cup of tea or coffee or would you prefer to use our canteen facilities?’ no?”

“Haha! Don’t know about the last bit but I’m sure you’ll be in and out in no time at all”.

“Well that will require an entry in the diary if so” :open_mouth:.

This was 1630 when I’d arrived by the way. At 1640 I’m still sat behind the gate-house barrier whilst they (the goods-in bloke and woman) finish arguing about which numbers go in which boxes on the gate-pass sheet :unamused:. I could have filled it in myself quicker. :unamused:

Eventually directed on a bay and did the usual ‘bay-procedure’ of handing keys in etc. Returned to the cab and took the opportunity to phone the H & S manager at Costco Leeds to see what she had to say about the alleged H & S issue that drivers cannot sit in their cab whilst being tipped.

“I don’t know the reasons why but I know it has been the warehouse procedure for a long time. I shall be passing your comments to Sue Knowles at the Head Office who is the H & S Manager for Costco UK and either her or myself will contact you later this week after it has been discussed at the next meeting”.

Fair enough, let’s see what happens.

1800 comes along and I’ve still got a green light - they haven’t even started. Eventually they get started and I’ve got a green light for 1900 and my paperwork followed within 10 mins.

Came out of there and pulled round to the UPS depot at Coventry to get a shower and then belled the office up to find out what I was doing Tuesday.

“1100 Warrington please out of Derby”.

I couldn’t be arsed heading up the road that night so drove round to the ASDA next door and parked up there for the night after doing a bit of shopping.

told you they where stars at argos rob :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

jon

Wasn’t sure what time to start on Tuesday so I verged on the safe side and got away from Cov at 0630 for the Derby depot to get my trailer for Warrington. I was going to a place called Eagle Global Logistics in Warrington which is next to the Walkers Crisps depot. Come off M62 at J11 and take a right (from M6) then down to the roundabout and take a right, then another right at the next roudabout and it’s at the far end of that road.

Out of Derby about 0800 and onto the A50 for Stoke. The rain had another mad sesh and it was tough going along a flooded A50 with virtually zero visibility even from sitting 7ft up. The best bit came when a rep came tear-arsing down the outside just before the A38 ramp and thought he’d create a gap in between myself and the wagon in front but I had other ideas and he had to pull in behind me :grimacing:. He was not impressed and much blasting of the horn and lights ensued :smiley:. Just as I was about to come to the verge where the ramp access ended he came flying close along my nearside blasting the horn and waving his fist out of the window which was obviously wound down. Not remotely phased by him I headed straight for the flood on the nearside verge just as he was alongside my cab and my timing was perfect - the whole lot went straight in his open window… and he had a white shirt on too. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:. That just set me up in a good mood for the rest of the day then :sunglasses:

Got up to Warrington for 1015 and straight on a bay, tipped and out of there for 1115. Time for some breakfast and as I’d spied a burger van half way down the road that seemed like a good place to stop. I wanted a nice baked ‘tatey’ but they weren’t ready yet and the smell of bacon and fried things was just too much so I had a full breakfast. As I didn’t want black pudding nor the tomatoes I added an extra egg and an extra slice of bacon. 3x bacon, 2x sausage, 2x fried eggs, slice of toast, 2x hash browns, beans for £2.20 :open_mouth:. Deal-o-rama or what :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:. It was quality too, only don’t park opposite the company exit as I did coz they moan at you to move :unamused: .

Belled the office up and next job was to go to Total Storage at Newton-le-Willows for a load of JVC telly’s for Argos. Even though I’d driven right past the place when I turned into the Ind Est I never noticed it until I came back the other way :confused:. Got in there and got loaded for Argos and then back to Dewsbury depot with that trailer.

There was a trailer in the yard at Dewsbury for Argos Motherwell but it transpired that there was another trailer for the same place with a later booking at the yard at J41 Ind Est with 11 pallets on it. Some quick calculations meant that the pallets would go on the first trailer which had a load of handball duvets and pillows on. Went up to J41 to get the two loads consolidated but the warehouse guy started picking up the handball, palleting it up and then putting it in the other trailer with pallets on. Being a bright bloke I said why don’t you just take the pallets off the other one and put them on the one with the handball to save messing about.

“Yeah, that’s not a bad idea”, says he :unamused: .

So I got away from there and it was an 0800 booking at Motherwell next day but there was no chance of making that.

We are meant to park securely but the value of this load wasn’t particularly high so I got all the way up the A1 to Scotch Corner and then did half of the A66 right up to the high peak of Brough and parked up there for the night. I love the scenery and the exposure up there so was happy I’d managed to make it that far.

I planned to start at 0530 in the morning which would mean a 9hr rest.