this ad-blue

gardun:
The truck will go into “limp home” mode if you run out of ad-blue.

I’ve run an Iveco dry of Ad-Blue and didn’t notice any limp home mode kick in. (Didn’t even notice any drop in power.)

gardun:
I have heard that a few places are now selling it on the forecourt, but where and at what price I don’t know.

I’ve seen it at 57.9p ltr.

Stan

acd1202:
All Adblue engines go onto emergency reduced power mode if out of AdBlue. This is to keep their emissions at the same level, it is required to qualify for the Euro 5 discount RFL.

The Volvo EGR engines have lower power and torque outputs than SGR units.

If you work on that info then, you’re buying increased power and a lower RFL … and the green emissions thing is just an unnecessary expense. :confused: :open_mouth:

Stan

The limp home mode if you run out of Ad-blue only became law last october.Its not just if you run out of Ad blue, if it detects the emissions are out of scope it will reduce the power for any reason this is also the same for EGR.
When Euro 6 is introduced in 2012/2013 nearly all trucks will have a mix of both EGR +SCR so everbody will be using Ad blue anyway.

So if ad- blue is 57p a litre…cant you put that in your diesel tank instead…for it must be an igniteable substance eh !!
And i would have thought that a lot of hauliers will opt for a truck that doesnt need the ad blue truck…our company does,
and seeing as the germans invented the stuff…its their german vehicles that run on it…or am i wrong…
i know or believe the Daf doesnt need extra tanks to carry the blue ■■■■■■

Now heres a great idea… in very extreme cold weather…we used to add a 100 litres of petrol to our full diesel tank…this did no damage, and always stopped the fuel lines, tank…filters from freezing up…so why cant it be done on a normal filling routine…
if for example a driver pulls into the services or a garage to fill up…if he puts in 200 litres of petrol, then tops up the tank with diesel, with petrol being on average a lot cheaper that derv…he could save a lot of money, and throw the chancellor a wobbly…Would this work…

truckyboy:
So if ad- blue is 57p a litre…cant you put that in your diesel tank instead…for it must be an igniteable substance eh !!
And i would have thought that a lot of hauliers will opt for a truck that doesnt need the ad blue truck…our company does,
and seeing as the germans invented the stuff…its their german vehicles that run on it…or am i wrong…
i know or believe the Daf doesnt need extra tanks to carry the blue [zb]…

Ad blue is not an igniteable substance,is not a fuel additive and does not directly affect engine power output. It is injected on demand into the exhaust where a chemical reaction reduces emmisions,ie after combustion has taken place.When you run out of ad-blue the engine management detects out of parameter emission levels and reduces output accordingly. As far as I know it is a requirement that thus equipped vehicles use it.

Volvo offer a 400,440 and 500hp egr engine but the salesman doesnt reccomend it as it is harder on diesel. Why, well an scr engine is completely unrestricted so runs dirty and efficently then lets adblue do all the work.
As far as economy goes your scr engine will use 95 litres of diesel and 5 litres of adblue whereas the egr equivelant will use 100 litres of diesel. As adblue is half the price of diesel it is the cheaper option in the long run.
Estimated savings of €1000 every 80k/40 ton truck.

Oh yeah, Scania euro5 v8 engines dont need adblue but man have yet to get there euro5 engines to run without it. Iwonder why they bought scania :wink:

I was looking at a site yesterday about running my car on sun flower oil. it was a very interesting site, and explained all the different types of fuel and additives.One of them was the fact that you cant just put sun flower oil in your tank, it has to be mixed with ethanol, or another source of diesel.
On the subject of Ad Blue, it stated that this is a derivative of sunflower oil or, waste cooking oil, thats been refined, (although you can run a diesel car on this waste oil) it did however state that to grow the flowers a hell of a lot of land will have to be used to sustain the needs, america for example produces 3 million gallons a year, and its still not enough, however what sticks in my mind is the fact that , ad blue harms the atmosphere, and actually adds to global warming, so i think that we are all being conned, and obviously squeezed by the government, and local councils into paying for something that has no benefit, a simple reminder of this is the airport tax, whereby we all have to pay and the airlines do nothing to change the smoking planes that pollute more than trucks/cars do, and lets not forget the chines who are building more coal fired power stations in a week, than we can knock down/replace.

New DAFs have Adblue tank…
And some numpty driver topped it up with diesel :open_mouth: (not me!)
Went on reduced power on way back from kettering to doncaster, left donny for coventry and would not go over 40mph on M18…

fitter came out done temp fix and ended up in sheffield… but unit was not going anywhere as sensors and all gubbins for adblue where ruined…

and passenger seats in new mercs are uncomfortable lol :unamused:

nice 18 hours agency job

truckyboy:
On the subject of Ad Blue, it stated that this is a derivative of sunflower oil or, waste cooking oil, thats been refined, …(snip)…, however what sticks in my mind is the fact that , ad blue harms the atmosphere, and actually adds to global warming, so i think that we are all being conned, .

Adblue is an urea based solution (Wee wee in other words!)

from wikipedia… here

Ad blue is made from gas,thats why the price keeps going up.

acd1202:
Somebody said about putting carrying AdBlue in a metal can, this is a REALLY BAD idea. AdBlue is extremely corrosive and will be through in a matter of a few weeks. If you notice all AdBlue tanks on trucks are plastic, and with good reason.

Metal AdBlue tank.

dont egr engines run hotter, if so i see more problems

Big Bear:
Ad blue is made from gas,thats why the price keeps going up.

Not quite. Gas is used to make the chemical Urea solution which may lead to the same rise in price you refer too. But its not made from gas.

Thats what I meant Mike-C the key component of urea is natural gas and the key component of AdBlue is urea.And we all know whats happening to our gas prices!

Big Bear:
Thats what I meant Mike-C the key component of urea is natural gas and the key component of AdBlue is urea.And we all know whats happening to our gas prices!

We’re ■■■■■■ in the wind !!

Some time back the EU gave a very large sum of money to scania and volvo to come up with the answer to the emisions problem. they came up with nothing positive. they came up with adblue knowing it would have no positive enviromental impact. the reason for this was that they feared having to give the grant money back. this info was given to me by a technician on the project.
I think it was supposed to be a secret.
oops.

Try drinking it. it will do you no harm.
If it was a chemical. just think of the negative impact of a raw oil based chemical upon the water table if what you are all told was true■■?

I used to sell trucks for a while so i know this subject like the back of my hand
EGR is a cheap solution idiot proof but euro4 scania v8 has to have adblue for cooling issues
Ad blue consumption is always going to be up and down depending on the way the truck is driven or the type of enviroment motorway and town work the adblue is only used when the emisions reach a certain level so if you are on a motorway you will hardly use any but in a town you will use loads
to reach the levekls of euro 2 and 3 all engines where retarded back to reduce emissions basicly pre igniting the fuel before the stroke had finished like when unleaded petrol first appered and most cars where retrded back
now with euro4 and 5 adblue trucks the ignition timing is now at top dead centre like the days of long gone by except instaead of having 280 horse power you have much more this there fore makes trucks more fuel effiecent
i hope this explains it better for you

britneybrett:
I used to sell trucks for a while so i know this subject like the back of my hand
EGR is a cheap solution idiot proof but euro4 scania v8 has to have adblue for cooling issues
Ad blue consumption is always going to be up and down depending on the way the truck is driven or the type of enviroment motorway and town work the adblue is only used when the emisions reach a certain level so if you are on a motorway you will hardly use any but in a town you will use loads
to reach the levekls of euro 2 and 3 all engines where retarded back to reduce emissions basicly pre igniting the fuel before the stroke had finished like when unleaded petrol first appered and most cars where retrded back
now with euro4 and 5 adblue trucks the ignition timing is now at top dead centre like the days of long gone by except instaead of having 280 horse power you have much more this there fore makes trucks more fuel effiecent
i hope this explains it better for you

If it’s for cooling then water would do the job. but theres no tax on that so it’s no good for gordon. am i right? :wink: