Thinking of joining the trucking world

By all means go for it, but don’t assume agencies will be helpful towards you. They will usually use you in an emergency as a last resort, and thats it. I registered with several agencies and got no work at all.

Eventually got a job by just applying for all an sundry on the job centre website and after a few months got a phone call and been in that job since. Pays not great, the hours are crap but beggars can’t be choosers - its experience.

Has a look around a few companies today for training, that was interesting. 1 was very dodgy, was just a single person advertising training with his own truck and trailer.

Anyway beside that the other training companies where really interesting and helpfull, definitely a good idea to go and have a look around and see what they have. Thanks for the advice I saw on here from pete.

Also written to a few companies around my area, even before I’ve done the training. A few if them take on new drivers, just for basic pickup and drop runs. So that sounds promising.

definitely a good idea to go and have a look around and see what they have.

Today I showed someone round who made the journey from Cambridge. He felt it was worth the effort to compare. He was impressed with the test centre on site and the clean, up to date trucks. Also got to talk with a couple of instructors and eventually chose the one he wanted to train him!

Wherever possible, always visit different centres so you can compare. Remember, not all training is the same and good trainers are always very proud of what they do and will be willing to spend time with you showing you why they are better than the others. :laughing: :laughing:

I’d worry more about getting a license first, then think about work, you WILL find a job. I got a job no problem and so have plenty of other people who have recently started out, but expect to walk in to 30k and you’ll be disappointed. You’ll need some degree of work training and its likely you’ll bend the lorry if you do anything other than spend your time on m’ways trunking.

Thanks saaamon.

Well I feel pretty confident about taking HGV lessons, I’ve been learning all I can I here. I’m pretty used to the size and space needed, been driving tractors with artic trailors for a few years.

Not expecting to get a 30k job, I can understand that its hard to get started. Just was trying to look ahead a bit and see what could be expected with a few years driving experience with a full time job.

Did think about a ADR too, would that be pointless untill you have a few years experience.

Andydan:
Thanks saaamon.

Well I feel pretty confident about taking HGV lessons, I’ve been learning all I can I here. I’m pretty used to the size and space needed, been driving tractors with artic trailors for a few years.

Not expecting to get a 30k job, I can understand that its hard to get started. Just was trying to look ahead a bit and see what could be expected with a few years driving experience with a full time job.

Did think about a ADR too, would that be pointless untill you have a few years experience.

When you going to be doing your lessons? Have you got a provisional yet? Anything to do with adr work and i’d expect that you’ll need experience to get a job in that.

Yeah I’m waiting for my provisional first. Just was trying to get as much info as I can first, before the big change.

Not sure what the crack is in terms of jobs where you live mate but if you really want to drive trucks then dont be put off by worries of not finding work.
When i first passed my class 2 which was only 4 years or so ago, i was working as a van driver delivering parcels, id worked there for ages and enjoyed it,got on with everyone etc. I couldnt find a class 2 job so i took the plunge and handed my notice in and joined an agency. I was lucky and got plenty of work which eventually landed me a permanent job at one of the places id been sent to.
I understand that this was a few years ago when there was a lot more work around but the point im trying to make is, if you really want to drive trucks then you will make it work. There will always be jobs out there, most may be crap, but when your doing something you really want to do it doesnt really matter :slight_smile:

Thanks lee77.

Yeah I totally agree with what you say. Looking forward to the PDA think at the end if the month, will be nice to have a look around and a word with some others.