Thinking of going part-time anyone don't it through choice?

robroy:
Said before on here, I’m on a 4 day 3 off, starting on a Wed, and finish Sat about teatime ish.
Should have done it years ago, too many lads burn themselves out maxing out and using 3×15s as a target rather than a limit, not eating and sleeping properly, parking in non facility [zb] holes and all the rest of it…Then they retire and die within 5 yrs, not ■■■■■■■■ either, I’ve seen it many times in the 30+ yrs I’ve done the job, so I’ve come to my senses at last. :sunglasses: …so if you’re a regular teararse artist hero be warned or ignore me, not fussed. :bulb:

After saying that… I’m doing a 6 day Mon to Saturday this week, to recoup money I’ve spent on my 2 weeks hol off, so I reckon I’ll need another holiday after that (after a lie down by Sunday). . :laughing:

It’s clear from you posts you can’t even afford a holiday on what you earn
And im sure you’re doing 15 hour days every day if you’re only working 4 days
And nothing surer for buttons

nightline:

robroy:
Said before on here, I’m on a 4 day 3 off, starting on a Wed, and finish Sat about teatime ish.
Should have done it years ago, too many lads burn themselves out maxing out and using 3×15s as a target rather than a limit, not eating and sleeping properly, parking in non facility [zb] holes and all the rest of it…Then they retire and die within 5 yrs, not ■■■■■■■■ either, I’ve seen it many times in the 30+ yrs I’ve done the job, so I’ve come to my senses at last. :sunglasses: …so if you’re a regular teararse artist hero be warned or ignore me, not fussed. :bulb:

After saying that… I’m doing a 6 day Mon to Saturday this week, to recoup money I’ve spent on my 2 weeks hol off, so I reckon I’ll need another holiday after that (after a lie down by Sunday). . :laughing:

It’s clear from you posts you can’t even afford a holiday on what you earn
And im sure you’re doing 15 hour days every day if you’re only working 4 days
And nothing surer for buttons

:laughing: :laughing: Classic. :unamused:
I know you can’t resist responding to my every post, but I’m missing a few of your ramblings…(.what, with you being on premod and all that. :laughing: )
Anyway,.at least I discovered this one eh.? :sunglasses:

Sorry to dissapoint you, but if you took more notice you would have known I’ve just come back from 10 days in Cyprus, also my hours are well down from your estimation, and I’ll just brush over your obvious dim 4 × 15s a week theory. :unamused: we’ll ignore it, I don’t think anyone noticed. :smiley:

But hey!..Keep following me.
, I remain flattered. :sunglasses:

nightline:

robroy:

Could you not afford the holiday in the first place
Iv heard it all now take a holiday and come back and work all hours
And not forgetting go in on a bank holiday to check your truck for no pay

Oh God…I’ve just noticed this one as well. :laughing: :laughing:
Yep you’ve got me banged to rights mate, scrimping for a crust for me hols, nowt left and in work checking my truck for no pay ( :open_mouth: not gonna even try and work out your weird logic on that one, but I’ll go with it anyway :laughing: )
I hate my life. :frowning: :cry: …so keep cheering me up.

:unamused: :laughing:

I was working 4 on 4 off for my family owned company with another driver that went on a 3 month holiday, as they was looking for a new driver i hinted to doing 3 specific days each and one alternating day so you can plan holidays better. One week i work 4 days, the next i work 3 and if you work it out, its the same as 4 on 4 off but i know exactly what days im working and can book holidays in advance.

mutley:
Went on 4 on 4 off twelve months ago after 25 years of stupid hours and nights/weeks away, best thing I’ve ever done. Wish I’d done it a lot earlier.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Same here. Had I known how good it was I’d have done it years ago

Carryfast:
Same age and early retired on health grounds ( back issues ),living in the parental home and circumstances ( loss of my late mum’s pension incomes ) have resulted in me probably having to re enter the work environment.I’m looking for no more than 3 days per week,if not one week on one week off,and no weekends to cover the household running costs and minimise tax exposure.I won’t be going back to driving trucks only van/car/taxi.

But unsurprisingly there is a massive resistance out there to job sharing and part time work on the part of employers.More often requiring 6 days per week than 3 or 4 and more than a days worth of work done in a day and even more often more than one type of role often involving heavy manual handling.I’d guess part time HGV work will be even more difficult to find.As for agencies be prepared for all the usual bs and lies in them either trying to offload all the usual multi drop zb under the guise of something better.If not other totally different types of jobs which no one wants put under the flag of convenience of so called ‘driving’ work when it’s anything but.

The conclusion I get is that employers couldn’t care less about lessening the workload on older pushing retirement workers.Together with the lose lose situation of younger workers,also no longer wanting to work full time and competing with older ones for anything which can be even remotely perceived as an easy number with flexible work/life friendly hours,if the queue of young people,hoping to sign up with Uber is anything to go by.Which I walked away from a while ago because only TfL licenced vehicles and drivers get access to airport work,which counts out anything below Euro 6.

You should consider Uber. Ignore the scare stories, you can make it work to your advantage

switchlogic:
You should consider Uber. Ignore the scare stories, you can make it work to your advantage

Not exactly bearing in mind that Brighton office registered cars/drivers can’t get access to Gatwick bookings only PCO TfL drivers/cars. :unamused: So no you really can’t if you want to concentrate on doing Gatwick or Heathrow work and have a Euro 5 car which can’t be registered with TfL PCO.While existing registered PCO registered cars can go on with their dirty old Euro 4 diesels doing Sussex and Surrey work at the expense of Surrey/Sussex drivers with Euro 5 petrol cars.Heathrow and Gatwick good for the local economies yeah right.

I give up :unamused:

switchlogic:
I give up :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This reminds me of something that happened to my mate in Leeds who went part time in his early 70’s working weekends. When he went to take his required medical exam there was a question on the form about alcohol usage and as he had the week off he put down several trips to the pub during the week. Next thing he knows is his licence is suspended as the doctor declared him a drunk, took him a couple of visits back to the doc to convince him he was part time and get his licence back.

switchlogic:
I’ve just given up a life of over work for 4 on 4 off and it’s amazing.

I reckon…

You’ll be back over the water driving down to Taranto or El Ejido. It’s really hard to resist doing something you really get a kick out of. I think there’s too much free spirit in you to potter about locally forever. I’d go back over the water tonight if I could get a decent gig or remember any where past Le Havre. :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:

switchlogic:
I’ve just given up a life of over work for 4 on 4 off and it’s amazing.

I reckon…

You’ll be back over the water driving down to Taranto or El Ejido. It’s really hard to resist doing something you really get a kick out of. I think there’s too much free spirit in you to potter about locally forever. I’d go back over the water tonight if I could get a decent gig or remember any where past Le Havre. :smiley:

Maybe, one day. Though I’d really not been enjoying Euro work in the aligned the last 2/3 years and did it out of necessity rather than desire. My new job isn’t strictly local, I cover all of UK and get regular runs to Ireland