They're not just using trucks to catch them

I have zero sympathy for people who use phones behind the wheel and get caught. I’ve not been driving that long but even in that short space of time I’ve seem too many times idiots on their phones, doing 70mph+ on the M62 or where ever. How anyone can slate the cops for trying to crackdown on this problem is beyond me.

tommy t:

robroy:

JaxDemon:
The phone issue should be a 12 month ban instantly it’s has bad as drink driving.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Another example. No it is not. Yet another Big Brother mantra by the powers that be.
If you drive while ■■■■■■ you are out of it, cloud 9, fearless, reckless, dangerous, liable to do any ■■■■■■■ thing you would not do if sober…
Talking on the phone is like listening to a good radio programme, talking to a passenger, singing along to AC DC, … a distraction in different degrees depending on how engrossed you are in the conversation.
Hands free is exactly the same btw, the only difference is you are driving with both hands…I drive with one hand more often than not, it’s just what I have done for years…with no disasters up to press.

Can I stress I neither drink drive, or hold a phone, I am just putting things into perspective and thinking things through instead of readily accepting and swallowing all the official rhetoric bs attempted to be fed to me.
Some of you should try it some time. :unamused:

common sense has become a rare beast hasn’t it?

You can say that again!!!

Gembo:

tommy t:

robroy:

JaxDemon:
The phone issue should be a 12 month ban instantly it’s has bad as drink driving.

Another example. No it is not. Yet another Big Brother mantra by the powers that be.
If you drive while ■■■■■■ you are out of it, cloud 9, fearless, reckless, dangerous, liable to do any ■■■■■■■ thing you would not do if sober…
Talking on the phone is like listening to a good radio programme, talking to a passenger, singing along to AC DC, … a distraction in different degrees depending on how engrossed you are in the conversation.
Hands free is exactly the same btw, the only difference is you are driving with both hands…I drive with one hand more often than not, it’s just what I have done for years…with no disasters up to press.

Can I stress I neither drink drive, or hold a phone, I am just putting things into perspective and thinking things through instead of readily accepting and swallowing all the official rhetoric bs attempted to be fed to me.
Some of you should try it some time. :unamused:

common sense has become a rare beast hasn’t it?

You can say that again!!!

Yes Common sense would suggest you don’t touch your phone at all while driving a weapon.

I use handheld phones when its safe to do so, just like I use a handheld CB, change stations, drink water or even eat a sandwich. Unlike the brainless up their own arse do gooders I don’t need a law to determine whether I’m being safe or not. Obeying the law doesn’t make you a safe driver. Just like the ■■■■ do gooders who religiously stick to the speed limit yet are happy enough to sail past a school at 30 mph at chucking out time because they’re too stupid to understand safe driving, relying on the law to dictate whether they’re safe or not. Or the idiots who are talking away on their ear deforming bluetooth headset in busy built up areas instead of concentrating on their driving. But as long as they’re legal they’ll be receiving a huge pat on the back from the jumped up ■■■■ do gooders on here. Absolute tossers the lot of them who have no concept of safe driving, only legal or illegal.

If all this is dangerous then it’s time to ban everything in a vehicle. No radio, automatic heaters and demisters that can’t be changed whilst the engine is running, no sat nav and no phone signals. A completely plain dashboard with no controls whatsoever. Otherwise just shut the ■■■■ up and admit that holding the phone to answer a call isn’t dangerous in the right conditions, just like using a handsfree phone in the wrong conditions is legal but highly dangerous.

JaxDemon:
Yes Common sense would suggest you don’t touch your phone at all while driving a weapon.

Come on mate, ffs :unamused: , all you are doing here is illustrating my point about how the public just swallow all this media crap.

‘‘Driving a weapon’’ is up there with ‘‘Thundering Juggernauts’’ and all the other buzz words and sound bites supplied by government campaigns, and the anti truck crap spouted by the likes of the Guardian and Daily Mail…not to mention another member on here… Mr Winseer.

I prefer to keep things into perspective and not run with the pack.
I don’t know about you, but my truck says ‘‘Mercedes’’ on the grille not AK47. :bulb:

Gembo:
I gota be honest, I dont care if they do prioritise mobile use whilst driving type offences.
I see loads of it and its usually girls /women that are to dam ignorant of the law or who believe they will never be in an accident through using their phone whilst driving.
Like the onse I see with the phone in their lap scrolling through music or writing a text whilst in lane 2 of the M5 or the A30 etc.
Arrogant, ignorant, stupid little ■■■■■■■. These are the worst type, atleast white van man is looking at the road whilst he talks on the phone!

Sounds like someone tried it on with a younger woman in a club at the weekend and got a knockback!

maurice:
I use handheld phones when its safe to do so, just like I use a handheld CB, change stations, drink water or even eat a sandwich. Unlike the brainless up their own arse do gooders I don’t need a law to determine whether I’m being safe or not. Obeying the law doesn’t make you a safe driver. Just like the ■■■■ do gooders who religiously stick to the speed limit yet are happy enough to sail past a school at 30 mph at chucking out time because they’re too stupid to understand safe driving, relying on the law to dictate whether they’re safe or not. Or the idiots who are talking away on their ear deforming bluetooth headset in busy built up areas instead of concentrating on their driving. But as long as they’re legal they’ll be receiving a huge pat on the back from the jumped up ■■■■ do gooders on here. Absolute tossers the lot of them who have no concept of safe driving, only legal or illegal.

If all this is dangerous then it’s time to ban everything in a vehicle. No radio, automatic heaters and demisters that can’t be changed whilst the engine is running, no sat nav and no phone signals. A completely plain dashboard with no controls whatsoever. Otherwise just shut the [zb] up and admit that holding the phone to answer a call isn’t dangerous in the right conditions, just like using a handsfree phone in the wrong conditions is legal but highly dangerous.

A bit of plain speaking and common sense when you analyse it.
As for using a hand held phone, I unlike you do not, for the simple reason if I make a balls up while doing so, and whether it was a contributory factor or not, they would sure as hell chuck the book at me and say it was. But broadly, I do agree with you, people just get ■■■■ carried away and fail to look for the true agenda.

robroy:

JaxDemon:

Come on mate, ffs :unamused: , all you are doing here is illustrating my point about how the public just swallow all this media crap.

‘‘Driving a weapon’’ is up there with ‘‘Thundering Juggernauts’’ and all the other buzz words and sound bites supplied by government campaigns, and the anti truck crap spouted by the likes of the Guardian and Daily Mail…not to mention another member on here… Mr Winseer.

I don’t know about you, but my truck says ‘‘Mercedes’’ on the grille not AK47. :bulb:

Ok let’s put it into perspective here is some info just from America and remember they’ve a bigger population and bigger/wider roads not like our little network

At this point I think most people realize just how big of a problem and how dangerous distracted driving is. However, seeing this list of 25 distracted driving statistics all together in one long list really can put it into perspective. Going through and reading these statistics proving the dangers of distracted driving and then realizing that millions of people still drive while distracted is a sad truth.

Over 2.5 million people in the U.S. are involved in road accidents each year.

The population of the US is just 318.9 million. At this rate, the American people could be extinct in two human lifespans. This is an astounding number of traffic accidents.

Of these, 1.6 million have a cell phone involved in them. That’s 64% of all the road accidents in the United States.

Over half the road accidents in the States have cell phones involved, and if this doesn’t make you realize just how potent it is, what will?

37,000+ people die in automobile crashes in the U.S every year
Every year, about 421,000 people are injured in crashes that have involved a driver who was distracted in some way.

Each year, over 330,000 accidents caused by texting while driving lead to severe injuries. This means that over 78% of all distracted drivers are distracted because they have been texting while driving.

1 out of 4 car accidents in the US are caused by texting while driving.

Texting and driving is 6 times more likely to get you in an accident than drunk driving. That’s right, it is actually safer for someone to get wasted and get behind the wheel than to text and do it.

It takes an average of three seconds after a driver’s mind is taken off the road for any road accident to occur. This is the bare minimum amount of time it takes, and it is surprisingly small. Three seconds is the time it takes to turn your ignition when starting your car.

Reading a text message while driving successfully distracts a driver for a minimum of five seconds each time. This means that the chances of an accident occurring while reading a text is extremely high indeed.

The average speed in the US is about 55mph. Taking five seconds to read a text in this time means that the driver travels the length of a football field without looking at the road, or being distracted. There are so many vehicles on the road now that this means there is a huge chance of something terrible happening in this distance.

When you text while driving, the time that you spend with your eyes off the road increases by about 400%. It is already dangerous enough to be distracted by NATURE while driving. So why make things 4 times as bad by texting?

The chances of a crash because of any reason is increased by 23 times when you are texting. Even if the crash is another driver’s fault, you will probably have been able to avoid it if you had been looking at the road instead of the phone.

When you compare this to the 2.8 times more risk that dialing a number on a phone imparts, you know that you are playing with fire.

Every day, 11 teenagers die because they were texting while driving.
94% of teenagers understand the consequences of texting and driving, but 35% of them admitted that they do it anyway.

Of all the teenagers ever involved in fatal accidents every year, 21% were using a cell phone at the time of the accident.

Teen drivers have a 400% higher chance of being in a car crash when texting while driving than adults.

25% of teens respond to at least one text while driving, every single time.
10% of adults and 20% of teenagers have admitted that they have entire conversations over text message platforms while driving.

82% of American teenagers own a cell phone, and use it regularly to call and text message.

52% of these talk on the phone while driving, and 32% text on the road.
When polled, 77% of adults and 55% of teenage drivers say that they can easily manage texting while driving.
When teens text while they drive, they veer off lane 10% of their total drive time.

A study at the University of Utah found out that the reaction time for a teen using a cell phone is the same as that of a 70 year old who isn’t using one.

48% of kids in their younger teenage years have been in a car while the driver was texting. Over 1600 children in the same age group are killed each year because of crashes involving texters.

The UK government’s banned using the phone fully so their is no argument around it. They can’t allow you to take phonecalls but ban texting and driving it just makes a mockery of it.

robroy:

discoman:
Speeding also kills.

Don’t believe, swallow and regurgitate all the bs, hype, and snappy sound bites drip fed to you by the liberal ‘right on lefties’
Speed does not kill.
Inapproriate speed can, and does. :bulb:

Speaking from personal experience, speed kills. I’m a previous life in the uk, I used to attend RTI’s where people were killed due to speeders persons on mobile phones etc. currently here in NSW, I attend incidents were these happen.

I make no apologies for defending the police, they have different dept like here in NSW. Ie general duties highways etc. however, when called upon all vehicles will attend general duty calls.

I’m not a leftie liberal at all, I fully agree modern cars are well equipped to drive faster etc. and 98/100 drivers are flaut less per say, however the other 2 who driver excessive not paying attention kill. So yes, having police checking for no seat belts, mobile phones insurance is excellent. Murderers are caught drug dealers are caught.

In reference to your friend, sorry to hear of that however, with the country in the state it is, sadly home owners have to take preventive measures. I very much doubt Council tax payers want to pay an extra 100£ a year to increase and ring fence policing.

JaxDemon:
Ok let’s put it into perspective here is some info just from America and remember they’ve a bigger population and bigger/wider roads not like our little network

At this point I think most people realize just how big of a problem and how dangerous distracted driving is. However, seeing this list of 25 distracted driving statistics all together in one long list really can put it into perspective. Going through and reading these statistics proving the dangers of distracted driving and then realizing that millions of people still drive while distracted is a sad truth.

The population of the US is just 318.9 million. At this rate, the American people could be extinct in two human lifespans. This is an astounding number of traffic accidents.

Of these, 1.6 million have a cell phone involved in them. That’s 64% of all the road accidents in the United States.

Over half the road accidents in the States have cell phones involved, and if this doesn’t make you realize just how potent it is, what will?

Every year, about 421,000 people are injured in crashes that have involved a driver who was distracted in some way.

Each year, over 330,000 accidents caused by texting while driving lead to severe injuries. This means that over 78% of all distracted drivers are distracted because they have been texting while driving.

Texting and driving is 6 times more likely to get you in an accident than drunk driving. That’s right, it is actually safer for someone to get wasted and get behind the wheel than to text and do it.

It takes an average of three seconds after a driver’s mind is taken off the road for any road accident to occur. This is the bare minimum amount of time it takes, and it is surprisingly small. Three seconds is the time it takes to turn your ignition when starting your car.

Reading a text message while driving successfully distracts a driver for a minimum of five seconds each time. This means that the chances of an accident occurring while reading a text is extremely high indeed.

The average speed in the US is about 55mph. Taking five seconds to read a text in this time means that the driver travels the length of a football field without looking at the road, or being distracted. There are so many vehicles on the road now that this means there is a huge chance of something terrible happening in this distance.

When you text while driving, the time that you spend with your eyes off the road increases by about 400%. It is already dangerous enough to be distracted by NATURE while driving. So why make things 4 times as bad by texting?

The chances of a crash because of any reason is increased by 23 times when you are texting. Even if the crash is another driver’s fault, you will probably have been able to avoid it if you had been looking at the road instead of the phone.

When you compare this to the 2.8 times more risk that dialing a number on a phone imparts, you know that you are playing with fire.

94% of teenagers understand the consequences of texting and driving, but 35% of them admitted that they do it anyway.

Of all the teenagers ever involved in fatal accidents every year, 21% were using a cell phone at the time of the accident.

Teen drivers have a 400% higher chance of being in a car crash when texting while driving than adults.

10% of adults and 20% of teenagers have admitted that they have entire conversations over text message platforms while driving.

82% of American teenagers own a cell phone, and use it regularly to call and text message.

When polled, 77% of adults and 55% of teenage drivers say that they can easily manage texting while driving.
When teens text while they drive, they veer off lane 10% of their total drive time.

A study at the University of Utah found out that the reaction time for a teen using a cell phone is the same as that of a 70 year old who isn’t using one.

48% of kids in their younger teenage years have been in a car while the driver was texting. Over 1600 children in the same age group are killed each year because of crashes involving texters.

The UK government’s banned using the phone fully so their is no argument around it. They can’t allow you to take phonecalls but ban texting and driving it just makes a mockery of it.

Mate, no offence but I don’t give a monkey’s ■■■■ what goes on in the US…I never drive there.
Pleaeeeeese don’t google and copy chapter and verse the UK statistics, everbody knows that statistics can be massaged and manipulated to fit and prove any agenda you can think of.
I have already said texting snd social media while driving is a no no, I do not expect a law of allowing for this, I was just refuting your point. :bulb:

robroy:

JaxDemon:

If you ever take that "living the dream " sticker off, that’s it’s replacement! :laughing:

JaxDemon:

robroy:

JaxDemon:

Blah blah blah, ya da ya da ya da, etc etc etc…

If the rigid, unmoving “speed kills” mantra is correct, how could they suddenly up the speed limit for lorries on single carriageways? One day 50mph was illegal and dangerous, the next it was perfectly legal and safe.
If that was the case with SC roads, could it be applied to others? Or is it the case of each circumstance is different?

Road layout, driver ability and weather conditions all play a part in any collision (not accident), but as soon as a mobile phone or exceeding the speed limit is involved, that takes the blame, purely because it suits the authorities agenda.

Having had a close friend seriously injured due to a driver not concentrating/using a mobile phone, I’m all for increasing the penalties further again.

robroy:

JaxDemon:

Mate, no offence but I don’t give a monkey’s [zb] what goes on in the US…I never drive there.
Pleaeeeeese don’t google and copy chapter and verse the UK statistics, everbody knows that statistics can be massaged and manipulated to fit and prove any agenda you can think of.
I have already said texting snd social media while driving is a no no, I do not expect a law of allowing for this, I was just refuting your point. :bulb:

Of course you won’t care about America you not driving in the USA does not affect you so if it does not affect you it’s all OK.

The fact remains these people where distracted and yes you don’t use a phone that’s great you’re a rare breed.

But all this ■■■■■■■■ saying it’s some government agenda and it’s not using common sense is just crap people say because they feel they are having some rights revoked.

If people did not ■■■■ about with phones while driving and causing accidents to the point people are dying then the government would have not had to step in and babysit a bunch of humans who act like a bunch of spoilt kids when somethings taken away from them.

Common sense would see most people pull over in a safe place to take a call, send a text. If anyone thinks they are not distracted while holding a mobile phone or food for that matter then they are idiots.

It would be great to see so many people retake their test and then going to have a drink or bite to eat while on it because they’d fail which suggests when you passed your test you knew these rules existed but people still flaunt them because everyone’s a so called professional driver now they can use a phone while swigging from a can driving a car or truck with their knees.

dave_k:
Having had a close friend seriously injured due to a driver not concentrating/using a mobile phone, I’m all for increasing the penalties further again.

Exactly until it affects them they won’t give a ■■■■. They are all perfect drivers because they have a HGV license which some here thinks it makes them some kind of God behind a wheel where they’ll never be in an accident or distracted from the road.

God forbid the government for clamping down on mobile phone users and trying to keep the road safe from primitive people who feel playing with a phone is more important then keeping an eye on the road ahead.

The-Snowman:

Gembo:
I gota be honest, I dont care if they do prioritise mobile use whilst driving type offences.
I see loads of it and its usually girls /women that are to dam ignorant of the law or who believe they will never be in an accident through using their phone whilst driving.
Like the onse I see with the phone in their lap scrolling through music or writing a text whilst in lane 2 of the M5 or the A30 etc.
Arrogant, ignorant, stupid little ■■■■■■■. These are the worst type, atleast white van man is looking at the road whilst he talks on the phone!

Sounds like someone tried it on with a younger woman in a club at the weekend and got a knockback!

At my ■■■■■■ age? Not got the energy leave the house at weekends mate, letalone chatting up ■■■■■. :laughing:

A good example here of distracted driving.
Not sure by what but there’s a couple of good possibilities.

And this one, so nearly very dead!

JaxDemon:

dave_k:

Exactly until it affects them they won’t give a [zb]. They are all perfect drivers because they have a HGV license which some here thinks it makes them some kind of God behind a wheel where they’ll never be in an accident or distracted from the road.

God forbid the government for clamping down on mobile phone users and trying to keep the road safe from primitive people who feel playing with a phone is more important then keeping an eye on the road ahead.

I think you’re missing the point. I don’t think anyone is condoning phone use, speeding or drunk driving. From my point of view only, blaming all these accidents on phone use/speeding is missing the real point. There are simply some really crap drivers out there.

JaxDemon:

dave_k:

Exactly until it affects them they won’t give a [zb]. They are all perfect drivers because they have a HGV license which some here thinks it makes them some kind of God behind a wheel where they’ll never be in an accident or distracted from the road.

Firstly mate re.your answer to my last post, I did not say ‘If it does not affect me it is all OK’’ so don’t put words into my mouth !

As for having a HGV licence, yeh, but it far from makes me perfect, a God behind a wheel, or any other accusation chucked at me only because I do not share your enthusiasm for official reports and opinions on road safety matters. :bulb:
I can only speak from my own perspective on this as you are doing mate.

Captain Caveman 76:

JaxDemon:

dave_k:

I think you’re missing the point. I don’t think anyone is condoning phone use, speeding or drunk driving. From my point of view only, blaming all these accidents on phone use/speeding is missing the real point. There are simply some really crap drivers out there.

I dunno it just seems some here think it’s ok to use a phone.

I just don’t think driving a car is something that should people think they have a right to because they once passed a test. A test that’s being changed loads and become somewhat harder these days.

I’ve no doubt many would fail it if they had to retake it especially if they’ve gotten bad habits.

I see why the government are clamping down on it. The police get moaned at for not doing anything yet when they do start doing something productive they get moaned at. They can’t win. I’m all for the police getting idiots off the roads. I’ve witnessed the carnage and I want the roads to be safe and yes many idiots on the roads.

I really feel they should clamp down on those who’ve been caught on dashcam as well who drive like idiots.

I just don’t understand why answering a mobile phone (unless hands free) or replying to a text or checking facebook is so important to some people. So important that it’s worth more then their own life to them and others around them.

I just thought people would be more for tougher action on idiots who value life at around £4-600