Theres tripe and utter tripe!

norb:

cliffystephens:

norb:
I wire brush the studs,hub face and the wheel on both side to get rid of any rust , dirt build up etc .A little bit of oil on the threads,run the nuts up diagionally till they touch the wheel,i also use my half inch gun ,round round the wheels twice with the torque wrench , a road test and retorque,and 30 mins later I nick out for a 3rd and final check ,and then fill out the book with the details and torque wrench number…At least then if we do have issues we can see if it is related to 1 torque wrench ,and yes they are regulary calibrated as are all my personal gauges torque wrenches etc ,Or works policy is ,if your tolls are not calibrated get them off the premises,i will add the coy does pay for their calibration

Never ever did I go near em with oil!!!..

Fair enough,but I am just following the manufacturers instructions ,and they say apply a bit of oil to the threads,after all if dry you may get a false torque

I have never oiled the threads either and I have removed and fitted my fair share of wheels, D20’s and left hand thread as well as modern alloys with shouldered nuts. I have occasionally used copperslip on alloys. Nut covers are worth their weight in plastic. I don’t mean wheel discs either, they should be banned on heavy vehicles.

[/quote]
Fair enough,but I am just following the manufacturers instructions ,and they say apply a bit of oil to the threads,after all if dry you may get a false torque
[/quote]
I have never oiled the threads either and I have removed and fitted my fair share of wheels, D20’s and left hand thread as well as modern alloys with shouldered nuts. I have occasionally used copperslip on alloys. Nut covers are worth their weight in plastic. I don’t mean wheel discs either, they should be banned on heavy vehicles.
[/quote]
that’s the stuff ! it lubricates the thread ( otherwise its metal to metal) and stops the nut seizing to the stud . used it for many years on applications getting a lot more hammer than a truck wheel and never had a (properly tightened ) fastening come loose yet .

I remember about thirty or so years ago that the DfT (as it was then) issued a bulletin saying that wheel nuts should NOT be lubricated.

norb:

cliffystephens:
Bking… why so much anger and venom thought this a forum for discussing topics and sometimes just adding a bit of advice…

I often wonder that myself, but each to their own .

Because as with most things nowadays those with the least knowledge always have the biggest say.
Example: Some “fleet engineer” a few years ago decided in his infinite wisdom that the Merc units at our place “required” a second earth lead fastened to the chassis next to the battery box.
Now being that the chassis on Mercs is isolated I refused to fit them.
What this tool fails to realise is that now the trailer and tractor are now a dead earth back to the battery via the 5th wheel pin and a direct link via a 160 amp tail lift feed.
2 burnt out trailers later nobody knows who came up with the idea.The “fleet engineer” in question recons that Mercedes “approved” the idea.How do plantpots like this get the title of “fleet Engineer”.Should be left to shuffle paper and wear a very nice tie.

Maybe he should be pensioned off to work for an oil company, his idea could prove interesting - another Buncefield perhaps.

as a young apprentice I was always taught never trust an air gun.after tightening check each nut with brace and bar and tighten by standing on bar applying downward pressure until you hear them crack,never lose a wheel that way. :slight_smile:

Bking:

cliffystephens:

shuttlespanker:

cliffystephens:

shuttlespanker:
i use a 1" drive air gun on mine, i use it a full power to remove the wheel nuts, but then use it on half power to put them back on, then torque the nuts, they always move with the torque wrench

You do with your wheels what I did with mine but fitters in tyre companies will very often dog em up with a gun then go through the motions with a torque wrench too bloody late then…

the only time a tyre fitter goes near my wheels is if i have a problem out on the road, other than that, i change my own tyres and wheels

To many wheels for that 21 trailers 10 tractors… retired now…

Try 120 units and 200 trailers.Why do these diks who no nothing even get to have thier say.Keep shuffling the paper and stay away from things you know [zb] all about.

Why be such a bell end about it. The bloke was just offering his advice, I thought that was the point of the forum, or is it just big headed numpties like you that get to weigh in.

Bking:

norb:

cliffystephens:
Bking… why so much anger and venom thought this a forum for discussing topics and sometimes just adding a bit of advice…

I often wonder that myself, but each to their own .

Because as with most things nowadays those with the least knowledge always have the biggest say.

would that be your input on the DAF engine thread? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bale Bandit:

Bking:

cliffystephens:

shuttlespanker:

cliffystephens:

shuttlespanker:
i use a 1" drive air gun on mine, i use it a full power to remove the wheel nuts, but then use it on half power to put them back on, then torque the nuts, they always move with the torque wrench

You do with your wheels what I did with mine but fitters in tyre companies will very often dog em up with a gun then go through the motions with a torque wrench too bloody late then…

the only time a tyre fitter goes near my wheels is if i have a problem out on the road, other than that, i change my own tyres and wheels

Try 120 units and 200 trailers.Why do these diks who no nothing even get to have thier say.Keep shuffling the paper and stay away from things you know [zb] all about.

Why be such a bell end about it. The bloke was just offering his advice, I thought that was the point of the forum, or is it just big headed numpties like you that get to weigh in.

Yada Yada Yada another bloody expert! Been doing this job 40 years never lost a wheel and never torqued one either.Wheelguns take em to tight,paint on the hubs etc all excuses for ■■■■■ amatuers like yourself.

Bking:

Bale Bandit:

Bking:

cliffystephens:

shuttlespanker:

cliffystephens:

shuttlespanker:

Yada Yada Yada another bloody expert! Been doing this job 40 years never lost a wheel and never torqued one either.Wheelguns take em to tight,paint on the hubs etc all excuses for [zb] amatuers like yourself.

Based on the consistent ■■■■■■■■ you angrily post on here, I wouldn’t let you change the quick-release front wheel on my mountain bike.