The working week of a Trailer Mate in the 60's

alexsaville:
Dennis

Thanks for your generous words.
The S.C.W.S. wa a Multi-National before the word was thought of. Two of it’s managers were Chairman and President (At different times.) of the Winnipeg Grain Exchange, having been sent out to Manitoba to look after the Societies interest’s there.
They had an office in Montreal for a subsidiary called Scottish General Products which sold Co-op made goods in North America.
The photo below shows a Grain Elevator, next to the Railroad tracks in Glass Manitoba that belonged to the Society.

Alex

Very interesting Alex but thinking about it the UK would have been massive buyers of Canadian wheat which I understand made better bread than the types of wheat grown in the UK so it would make sense that big byers like SCWS would have a direct presence at “the source” so to speak. Cheers Dennis.

Hello Alex.
I think it was sometime in the 50s I used to see an old SCWS International Normal control Artic passing on the 74 regular maybe before your time did you ever hear of it.
Ben.

Bewick:

alexsaville:
Dennis

The S.C.W.S. wa a Multi-National before the word was thought of. Two of it’s managers were Chairman and President (At different times.) of the Winnipeg Grain Exchange, having been sent out to Manitoba to look after the Societies interest’s there.
They had an office in Montreal for a subsidiary called Scottish General Products which sold Co-op made goods in North America.
The photo below shows a Grain Elevator, next to the Railroad tracks in Glass Manitoba that belonged to the Society.

Alex

Very interesting Alex but thinking about it the UK would have been massive buyers of Canadian wheat which I understand made better bread than the types of wheat grown in the UK so it would make sense that big byers like SCWS would have a direct presence at “the source” so to speak. Cheers Dennis.

Canadian and North American wheat was harder than the varieties we could grow over here and therefore more suitable for bread-making. An intensive programme of breeding new varieties in the U.K. meant that we were at last able to grow harder wheat, making us less dependant on imports.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Bewick:

alexsaville:
Dennis

Alex

Canadian and North American wheat was harder than the varieties we could grow over here and therefore more suitable for bread-making. An intensive programme of breeding new varieties in the U.K. meant that we were at last able to grow harder wheat, making us less dependant on imports.

Traditionally it was also higher in protein, and better quality, for bread making. The latest home grown wheat varieties can now match Canadian and North American wheat, but yields are lower. When I worked for Spillers I think it was after the harvest of 1987 that we milled the first bread making flour from 100% home grown wheat. The UK’s largest baker still insists that its millers use a quite high percentage of Canadian wheat for its flour.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Bewick:

alexsaville:
Dennis

Alex

Ooo Ah! says Walter Gabriel. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: PS Oh! and my allotment is now 100% GM modified you should see the size of my new Taties, they are like footballs Ooo Ah!

I’ll have you know my plot is 100% organic, Bewick.

Except for the fertilizer, weed killer and slug pellets. :blush:

Ben

I never saw it as it wasn’t around when I started in 1962. However, in the back of my mind I seem to recollect hearing about it.
There are some photo of Armstrong Saurer lorries kicking around on the internet which were based at Leith, I never saw them either.

Alex

alexsaville:
Ben

I never saw it as it wasn’t around when I started in 1962. However, in the back of my mind I seem to recollect hearing about it.
There are some photo of Armstrong Saurer lorries kicking around on the internet which were based at Leith, I never saw them either.

Alex

Alex when I think about it,it would have been quite a while before your time as I am a bit older than you and I think I would be just left School when it used to pass, it had an extra long nose on it and the Four Spoke Wheels I think big old Beast.Ben