The Tyne Bridge Newcastle upon Tyne

Hi Larry,
Great photos,of in my opinion an iconic landmark.Intresting to find out that the swing bridge is even older.I wasn’t aware of that.I took these pictures back in June 2016.The quayside has changed immensely over the years.

EFBF5ABE-B53C-4061-93D3-A411C0D72E66.jpeg

E08301B2-9D10-484F-AE93-206D9D012D85.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi Larry,
Great photos,of in my opinion an iconic landmark.Intresting to find out that the swing bridge is even older.I wasn’t aware of that.I took these pictures back in June 2016.The quayside has changed immensely over the years.

Pete, the Swing Bridge was designed and built by Sir William Armstrong for access to his factories up river. It used hydraulic power harnessed from the river to turn the bridge . A sensational achievement at the time. They have regular demonstrations of the mechanism on open day visits. Regards Kev.

Nice period shot taken in 1964. (Click on picture to view full size)

moomooland:
0Nice period shot taken in 1964. (Click on picture to view full size)

Cracking photo “moomooland” Plus not much traffic about, Keep these great shots coming please, Regards Larry.

July 1960.

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:

Cracking photo “moomooland” Plus not much traffic about, Keep these great shots coming please, Regards Larry.

Why aye man ! Just had a great Aberdeen Steak dinner with Anne and our eldest Granddaughter and a nice bottle of Chilean Merlot ! But I have a confession Larry ! I have also had a couple of large Grouse with ice and watter !! Great eh! !! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:

Why aye man ! Just had a great Aberdeen Steak dinner with Anne and our eldest Granddaughter and a nice bottle of Chilean Merlot ! But I have a confession Larry ! I have also had a couple of large Grouse with ice and watter !! Great eh!! Cheers Dennis.[/ Hi Dennis wats this aboot wetar in ya Grouse, Are you going soft as you are getting older I wonder, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , I have just finished a Sirlion steak plus the trimmings, Of course Oysters to start with, Im now savouring a Cotswold Single Malt 46 Volt , Plus Ive an hour extra to get the worse for wear as the clocks go back ,Oh dear I must remember to put my Tacho in order I dont want to be in bother with these Vosa blokes do I, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Take care my friend, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:

Why aye man ! Just had a great Aberdeen Steak dinner with Anne and our eldest Granddaughter and a nice bottle of Chilean Merlot ! But I have a confession Larry ! I have also had a couple of large Grouse with ice and watter !! Great eh!! Cheers Dennis.[/ Hi Dennis wats this aboot wetar in ya Grouse, Are you going soft as you are getting older I wonder, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , I have just finished a Sirlion steak plus the trimmings, Of course Oysters to start with, Im now savouring a Cotswold Single Malt 46 Volt , Plus Ive an hour extra to get the worse for wear as the clocks go back ,Oh dear I must remember to put my Tacho in order I dont want to be in bother with these Vosa blokes do I, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Take care my friend, Regards Larry.

At midnight Larry just tear the Log sheet off and start again on the next one ( and with a pencil !) Bring back the old days eh! These young’uns divent nar what went on years ago eh! All the best Mate Dennis.

Hi Dennis If only we could EH, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ,They were some of the best days of my life, Working alongside true Haulage men who showed the way to sheet & rope & make sure the load was secure, The good old days when going to work was a pleasure, Regards Larry.

Bewick:

Hi Dennis If may ask how old were you when great photo was taken :question: , You look in fine fetel If I May say so, A bit like me owld self Eh, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis If may ask how old were you when great photo was taken :question: , You look in fine fetel If I May say so, A bit like me owld self Eh, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , Regards Larry.

Those were the days Larry ! IIRC 24 years old, Lincoln Farm 1973 ! Lish as a Whippet eh! Cheers Dennis.

This Peter Davies photo captures an AEC Marshal Eight of George Bambrough of Chester le Street. George obviously liked a good load, judging by the greedy boards on the tipper. I will repeat this picture on the AEC thread to give a bit of detail about how George was the instigator of the Marshal Eight.

a tb.jpg

moomooland:

High St West Gateshead. The clock on the right of the photo is outside what used to be the council offices and magistrate courts. Looks like one of George Blackett’s Dodge tippers.

Tyneside

tyneside:

moomooland:

High St West Gateshead. The clock on the right of the photo is outside what used to be the council offices and magistrate courts. Looks like one of George Blackett’s Dodge tippers.

Tyneside

Hi Tynesied Its looks very good to me Geo Blacklets wagons were famous all over the North East. Regards Larry.

Here’s another nice period shot Lawrence…

Couple more of the bridge
The first one is High st. west (same clock as previous post)

Looking at the registration plates the second one is probably 1976/77

Tyneside

41552603_1761831597258452_4122091026930204672_n.jpg

Fond memories of the Tyne and Newcastle …I have this photo in my files can,t remember where it came from but it was taken in 1957 and that was the first ship I joined as a 16 year old at Tyne dock Sth Shields