The shortage is going to lead to empty shelves!

If there are more licence holders than vacancies - “lack of a licence holders” - clearly isn’t the problem.

“Lack of people willing to use it to do a thankless job” - more likely is.

During the lockdown - NHS “Key Workers” - got discounts at Morrisons, and other places - good for them, I guess, and seal-clapped outside on doorsteps at 8pm on thursdays…

Meanwhile, TRANSPORT “Key Workers” - saw entire families of cyclists - waving down inanely at passing truckers from motorway overbridges…

Can’t say a Cheesy Grin from the Jetsons helps us all as much as a discount for the next big food shop would do - but I guess among “Key Workers” - We’re not all equal. :frowning:

the nodding donkey:
I wonder which one of the big cheapies (Homebargain, B&M etc)will go first?

My money is definitely on Home bargains, as our local B&M is surprisingly very well stocked. (by that I mean I can always get the missus’ 4xpint cans of Strongbow there, but rarely at HB)

Winseer:
If there are more licence holders than vacancies - “lack of a licence holders” - clearly isn’t the problem.

During the lockdown - NHS “Key Workers” - got discounts at Morrisons, and other places - good for them, I guess, and seal-clapped outside on doorsteps at 8pm on thursdays…

Meanwhile, TRANSPORT “Key Workers” - saw entire families of cyclists - waving down inanely at passing truckers from motorway overbridges…

Can’t say a Cheesy Grin from the Jetsons helps us all as much as a discount for the next big food shop would do - but I guess among “Key Workers” - We’re not all equal. :frowning:

The NHS, blessed be its name, became the British holy cow and people and companies wanted to be seen to be enthusiastically kissing its arse.

Yes we carried on throughout, and why wouldn’t we, the whole thing was a farce/scam that anyone awake should have seen through long before the three weeks to flatten the curve became 18 months and probably several years and the ruination of thousands of people’s lives later, for what?
I don’t need anyone publicly thanking me for doing my job, embarrassing beyond belief, neither do i want 10% discount at a shop so the company can virtue signal how pious they are (pass the sick bag), and as for the seal clapping words fail me, just pay me for my work and bloody leave me alone.

adam277:
http://transportoperator.co.uk/2016/01/29/3568/

The results are startling. There are 80,000 individuals with a Category C or C + E LGV licence and a current Driver CPC in the crucial 25-44 age group (the most attractive to employers for insurance and medical reasons) who are not currently working as truck drivers.

What’s more, there are 90,000 individuals in the 25-34 age band holding C or C + E licences, but without a current Driver CPC. All they would require would be a week in a classroom without any test or examination, and they too could get behind the wheel of a truck.

I think you will find that the majority of the 30k drivers that have left are EE’s.

And that is because they have to pay tax like the rest of us now.

I cant find the figures but I heard on the radio that upto 30,000 HGV drivers have left the profession since covid. Either due to covid itself, furlough and deciding they are done driving or just finding out elsewhere or retirement.

There must be over 150k+ people with HGV entitlement who just dont want to drive trucks.

Four…

!!!, exclamation marks is a sign of sensationalism and attention seeking.

Juddian:
The NHS, blessed be its name, became the British holy cow and people and companies wanted to be seen to be enthusiastically kissing its arse.

Yes we carried on throughout, and why wouldn’t we, the whole thing was a farce/scam that anyone awake should have seen through long before the three weeks to flatten the curve became 18 months and probably several years and the ruination of thousands of people’s lives later, for what?
I don’t need anyone publicly thanking me for doing my job, embarrassing beyond belief, neither do i want 10% discount at a shop so the company can virtue signal how pious they are (pass the sick bag), and as for the seal clapping words fail me, just pay me for my work and bloody leave me alone.

BRILLIANT!

The only thing that clapping achieved, was to wake me up half way through my 5 hrs sleep before heading out again to deliver the replacement pots & pans needed as the muppets bust theirs banging them :open_mouth:

^^^ :laughing:

adam277:
Then there are the thousands who have been put through apprenticeshis / warehouse to wheels schemes only to find out they can’t hack the job or the hours. I’ve seen 1st hand that this is very common.

The way the bosses look at “warehouse to wheels” is that they already have some pliant candidates who will work reliably for a pittance, so it makes sense to train them as drivers, right?

The problem with this thinking is that many such workers strongly prefer to be in sociable workplaces working with others, whereas driving is largely solitary and relies on initiative.

I suspect also that the typical candidate - whom management selects - enjoys working in rigid hierarchies. Otherwise, the candidate would likely be no friend of the warehouse management, and would not be selected.

Of these candidates, some may have ambitions to move up the workplace hierarchy themselves eventually. Others perhaps lack confidence to imagine any change in their station and are happy to be pleasing their immediate bosses. Some people want to be abusers, others to be abused, etc.

Meanwhile in driving, there’s often very little room for kissing butts, or for butts to be presented for kissing. Little room for progression, little room for the theatre of master and servant.

Once shorn of these social relations or prospects, many candidates who seemed like good workers indoors, will be dissatisfied and demotivated on the road.

Juddian:

Winseer:

Yes, it was all rather Cuthbert - wasn’t it…

Cuthbert.jpg

Another thing I noticed at Morrisons checkouts (not that I frequent them that often… :blush: ) were people standing there with ill-fitting NHS uniforms on to presumably blag their way through the discounts on offer…

Meanwhile, that under-represented other side of Key Workers, who are obliged to carry a blue card at all times or get fined - got diddly squat, regardless of wearing the very best of 5th-wheel greased high viz bomber jackets… :unamused:

I was kinda hoping one of these fakers would attempt to push in front of me, so I could mutter loud enough for everyone to hear “The worst thing I could do to you all - is not be anywhere near here in a year’s time”… :grimacing: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

According to the news tonight - (and i quote)

“Shoppers are being warned there may be a shortage of toys this Christmas because of problems with the supply of some products the flow of goods is being disrupted by congestion at ports and the lack of lorry drivers”

That will make a lot of skint parents happy.

youtu.be/kxdvSViAb3w

robroy:
https://youtu.be/kxdvSViAb3w

Like it. :smiley: