Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

And some more.

youtu.be/NBB0zh04So4

youtu.be/MkYgfrf95c8

youtu.be/keuU4qwM7YA

youtu.be/kqjZax2u3l4

youtu.be/SkPZM5J0XPU

On your page with creedence clearwater revival,not so with shalamar,that’s some serious eclectisism going down right there :laughing: American woman darned good too.Born on the Bayou and fortunate son I would take as desert island discs.Claptons “let it rain” and Jefferson Airplanes:High flying Bird would be two more.Keep em coming.

I like a bit of variety [emoji1][emoji1]

I do tend to listen to the Woodstock era stuff more than Shalamar, but 80s soul was a big part of my life and the songs hold good memories.

Here’s another selection from my most played tracks…

youtu.be/pbuBGTVEjQo

youtu.be/7m94ip38UKs

youtu.be/YfpRm-p7qlY

youtu.be/hf4EFDGP4yg

newmercman:
I like a bit of variety [emoji1][emoji1]

I do tend to listen to the Woodstock era stuff more than Shalamar, but 80s soul was a big part of my life and the songs hold good memories.

Here’s another selection from my most played tracks…

youtu.be/pbuBGTVEjQo

youtu.be/7m94ip38UKs

youtu.be/YfpRm-p7qlY

youtu.be/hf4EFDGP4yg

Aye hearing what yer sayin.There’s the top draw stuff and stuff that’s accompanying you through the life changes.Paul Weller is sure one prime mover in this respect.Many revere him.I grew up with a lot of crud on the radio,Nick Kershaw,Culture Club,Duran…etc,so I took refuge in Simon&Garfunkel,Dylan,The Doors as an antidote to all that hideousness.Laurel Canyon would be my spiritual home for music,don’t think it can be bettered…Steven Stills,Zappa,Joni Mitchell,Byrds.Nothing comes close.

Absolutely, if i ever got a chance to go in a time machine my first stop would be Haight Asbury to join up with some free loving types and head on up to Woodstock.

I’ve got a big selection of the new romantic stuff too, it’s the memories the songs evoke rather than the music itself that appeals to me. Motown is similar as it’s the soundtrack of my childhood as my parents played it all the time.

What did you think of the cover of Sounds of Silence? You obviously like the original, as do I, but I really like the way that Disturbed changed it up, that gravelly rock voice really works well. The thing I really like about is the video shows how much he puts into it, that song starts from the tips of his toes, he really feels the lyrics as he sings, that is what makes a song special and something most of the modern singers seem to lack, some of them have fantastic voices, but they’ve got no soul.

newmercman:
What did you think of the cover of Sounds of Silence? You obviously like the original, as do I, but I really like the way that Disturbed changed it up, that gravelly rock voice really works well. The thing I really like about is the video shows how much he puts into it, that song starts from the tips of his toes, he really feels the lyrics as he sings, that is what makes a song special and something most of the modern singers seem to lack, some of them have fantastic voices, but they’ve got no soul.

That’s a fair analysis but my reaction to anyone covering the jewels of music is brutal,I hated it.Almost as bad as when Stevie Nicks=Dreams was butchered by the Corrs many moons ago,I don’t tend to mind when established credible acts build something new from a masterpiece,Hendrixs=Watchtower or even Bryan Ferrys take on Lennons=Jealous Guy for example.The songs are actually revitalised,but this tendency for uknown acts to kickstart a job evasion project by plundering the greats,and I personally revere Paul Simon as the best of them all,I tend to have issues with.
People tend to think that musics subjective,ie Take That sold more discs than the Beatles therefore that makes them more successful,hmm.The two songs you submitted,Good Vibrations and Like A Rolling Stone are possibly contenders for the finest musical creations this planet has ever heard,I seriously doubt anything vaguely similar will ever fall from the likes of Ed Sheeran or god help us…Gary Barlow.

manalishi:
That’s a fair analysis but my reaction to anyone covering the jewels of music is brutal,I hated it.Almost as bad as when Stevie Nicks=Dreams was butchered by the Corrs many moons ago,I don’t tend to mind when established credible acts build something new from a masterpiece,Hendrixs=Watchtower or even Bryan Ferrys take on Lennons=Jealous Guy for example.The songs are actually revitalised,but this tendency for uknown acts to kickstart a job evasion project by plundering the greats,and I personally revere Paul Simon as the best of them all,I tend to have issues with.
People tend to think that musics subjective,ie Take That sold more discs than the Beatles therefore that makes them more successful,hmm.The two songs you submitted,Good Vibrations and Like A Rolling Stone are possibly contenders for the finest musical creations this planet has ever heard,I seriously doubt anything vaguely similar will ever fall from the likes of Ed Sheeran or god help us…Gary Barlow.

Maybe it’s more a case that some records can be bettered while others can’t.Not so much that there are any sacred ones.While S and G’s creations usually fall into the former category maybe with some exceptions which prove the rule among those who like some of the few recreations.On that note these are my favourite S and G ones and no one is ever going to better those at least.

youtube.com/watch?v=Eo2ZsAOlvEM

youtube.com/watch?v=IkFBOd4YN60

While Mrs Robinson works best in its movie version for me together with the car scene.( Notice that the Alfa had to have a dubbed V8 effect added so as not to put off potential customers :laughing: )

youtube.com/watch?v=kIPbZjRubi4

Manalishi, Good Vibrations, what a groundbreaker that was, pure artistry. While Rolling Stone is the classic of all classics, it’s impossible to not sing along to.

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:
Some good cover version there, I think if you’re going to cover somebody elses song you should try and bring something new to it or just set yourself up as a tribute act.

Agree with that. A straight copy is no big deal. A new version may be difficult to get on with if we like the original, but if we can get past that, well.

and bet this`ll upset the C and W fans
youtube.com/watch?v=bCuyGcw8ddY

Here’s a cover version that Johnny Cash made his own.
Does anybody even know the original?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

I love that video. Original by Trent Reznor of Nine inch Nails. Cash asked Reznor if he may cover it. Awesome song writer. He does film scores too. He wrote NIN “closer”. Not a song to play at weddings for the first dance :laughing:

newmercman:
Manalishi, Good Vibrations, what a groundbreaker that was, pure artistry. While Rolling Stone is the classic of all classics, it’s impossible to not sing along to.

I would very much like to be associated with those remarks.
Msrs Wilson and Love must have been channeling the music of the spheres where gv is concerned.
Dylans unquestionably the greatest of them all lyrically.He could be surreal as it gets -‘riding a chrome horse with a diplomat’ or ‘the wind howls like a hammer’ :angry: from-Love minus zero,all good stuff,he’s kind of a rock Nostradamus;speaking in ambiguous quatrains.But then you get the visceral ‘Hurricane’ from Desire and ‘Tangled up in Blue’ from his most respected album-‘Blood on the tracks’
I guess he was just reflecting the zeitgeist of the period with his acid tinged early stuff and then much weightier issues began to assail the great man latterly.Someone sure must have intruded on his groove for him to compose his opus (rolling stone) .Great suffering makes great art that’s as sure as mustard.

Carryfast:

manalishi:

Maybe it’s more a case that some records can be bettered while others can’t.Not so much that there are any sacred ones.While S and G’s creations usually fall into the former category maybe with some exceptions which prove the rule among those who like some of the few recreations.On that note these are my favourite S and G ones and no one is ever going to better those at least.

youtube.com/watch?v=Eo2ZsAOlvEM

youtube.com/watch?v=IkFBOd4YN60

While Mrs Robinson works best in its movie version for me together with the car scene.( Notice that the Alfa had to have a dubbed V8 effect added so as not to put off potential customers :laughing: )

youtube.com/watch?v=kIPbZjRubi4

Was there ever a finer improvement of a song than Joni Mitchells-(Woodstock) by Mathews Southern Comfort,i ask in all honesty?
Like fellow genius Dylan,her cast-offs provided careers for other acts trailing in their wakes.I revere Joni almost as much Simon but her singing could/can be a tad abrasive,you can sense her pain,but wow,if ever there was a more pertinent message song of such majesty than -Big Yellow Taxi,iv’e missed it,although Eagle- Don Henley’s -The Last Resort comes close.Excellent s&g tunes there CF.
‘Good morning Mr Leach,have you had a busy day’?..awesome.

You can see the influence Dylan had on The Beatles, I am the Walrus being a prime example, the Revolver album and to a lesser extent Sgt Pepper being a turning point in their evolution, only to be short lived as the internal squabbles between the women sent Lennon and McCartney on separate paths. Lennon stayed true to the cause, while McCartney aside from a few genius moments with Wings, became a pop star. To me that shows that Lennon was the inspiration behind the Beatles later direction.

For a bit of fun I listened to USA for Africa, We are the world. The stand out singers were, of course Dylan, James Ingram, Stevie Wonder, Willie Nelson and surprisingly Springsteen, who I normally dislike as he just shouts the same lyrics over and over usually.

newmercman:
You can see the influence Dylan had on The Beatles, I am the Walrus being a prime example, the Revolver album and to a lesser extent Sgt Pepper being a turning point in their evolution, only to be short lived as the internal squabbles between the women sent Lennon and McCartney on separate paths. Lennon stayed true to the cause, while McCartney aside from a few genius moments with Wings, became a pop star. To me that shows that Lennon was the inspiration behind the Beatles later direction.

For a bit of fun I listened to USA for Africa, We are the world. The stand out singers were, of course Dylan, James Ingram, Stevie Wonder, Willie Nelson and surprisingly Springsteen, who I normally dislike as he just shouts the same lyrics over and over usually.

Wow have you sampled some of Sringsteens more reflective offerings? ‘The ghost of Tom Joad’ or ‘Atlantic City’ for eg?dark brooding slices of blue-collar Springsteenland.I think his ‘breakthrough’ Born in the USA album was somewhat misinterpreted as a jingoistic,call to the stars n stripes banner rally,when apparently the opposite was the case.I don’t think he appreciated,think it was Ronnie Ray-gun,nicking the song for political posturings on the election trail.
Bruce sure puts on a show,saw him in Sheffield in the 90’s.4 plus hours of utter rock majesty.
Re the Beatles,i think macca was the superior songsmith but the guys collossal ego seems to be undoing all the good karma of their legacy,i can’t help thinking this is serious sour- grapes due to Lennons name preceeding Mcartneys on record credits,he’s often alluded to this in various interviews.This ‘collaborating’ crap he does,especially with cretins such as Kanyae West is just risible.
With you on Wings,‘Wings Over America’ tour- remastered dvd…(Rockshow) has to be one of the most exhilarating live shows ever recorded.

newmercman:

Imagine how much better the Pepper album would’ve been if it had included ‘Strawberry Fields’ and ‘Penny Lane’ instead of the hideous Harrison offering-‘within you…’ or Johns-‘Good Morning’ he admitted himself it was a turkey.
White Album and side 2 of Abbey road all the way for me.

With regard to Springsteen, I can’t get into it, I like Born in the USA and I love his rendition of Santa Claus is coming to town, a guilty pleasure that one lol.

Now to McCartney, from Wings to the Pipes of Peace ffs, what was going through his mind! The collaborations have been so cheesy too, although I like Say Say Say with Michael Jackson, mind you MJ blows him out of the water when he comes in at full blast. All of that is just pure marketing though, it bears little resemblance to his true talent.

newmercman:
With regard to Springsteen, I can’t get into it, I like Born in the USA and I love his rendition of Santa Claus is coming to town, a guilty pleasure that one lol.

Now to McCartney, from Wings to the Pipes of Peace ffs, what was going through his mind! The collaborations have been so cheesy too, although I like Say Say Say with Michael Jackson, mind you MJ blows him out of the water when he comes in at full blast. All of that is just pure marketing though, it bears little resemblance to his true talent.

Aye there’s no doubt maccas salad days since the last wings outing,have long gone and he’s been dining out on the legend status ever since,such is his ego.Don’t think i’ll be troubling my wallet for his latest ‘Egypt station’ cd :blush: tbh.Billy Joel’s lately been having a few snipes in the media to the effect of saying less, is more;concerning Elton,Macca and co’s deteriorating output quality.
Hard to disagree really.

A bit melancholy the clue is in the title “Black tears” but the quality of singing is near perfection

youtube.com/watch?v=S2xmzjKujGs

Mazzer2:
A bit melancholy the clue is in the title “Black tears” but the quality of singing is near perfection

youtube.com/watch?v=S2xmzjKujGs

If you like that…
K D Lang`s first album “Shadowland” should be on your radar. Produced by Owen Bradley, who previously worked with Patsy Cline.
Slide guitar, and the sort of vocals that sound so easy and relaxed, but are so rare in the real world.
youtube.com/watch?v=Z-fHwdkRGy0
youtube.com/watch?v=X5Gba61V2nQ