The humble Ford D series

I was unpacking some boxes due to a removal and I think the attached article from
John Dickson-Simpson (Transport Engineer) of around 1980 should not fail here?

Happy reading!

A-J

Obviously I can only speak from having driven the only D1000 V8 ■■■■■■■ we ever operated and I accept they got a bad press,however the one I ran was faultless,I drove it properly and serviced it properly.They were never going to be Premium motors as per the Gardners and the sraight in-line ■■■■■■■ but they were a lump cheaper,so as long as you treat the V8 with respect and understood that they wern’t contenders with the big boys they did a decent job.I never considered buying a 28 ton GVW Ford D1000 unit as I had chosen the 26 and 28 ton Mastiff with the V8 Perkins engine which again was in a similar bracket to the V8 ■■■■■■■■■■■■ again,if the V8 Perkins was treated with respect and serviced properly and regularly it did a reasonable job but again it wasn’t in the same class as the Gardner or straight 6 ■■■■■■■■■■■ got what you paid for and made up the deficit by careful treatment of the cheap motors.It was the only way you could start in the business with limited resources and then work your way up into the premium motors and then you could “give it some wellie” and get a decent return from the quality motors.Been there,done it,and got the “T” Shirt :wink: Happy Days,Cheers Bewick.

In another removal-box I this morning found following calculators, long before electronic calculators,
smart phones and apps, sales-representatives had this nice tool in their business-case.

Attached A/B for both sides of “Truck/Van Performance calculator” and “Weight Distribution Calculator”
whereas for the paper-craftsmen under us separate A-1/A-2 en B-1/B-2 to select your Ford D-series!

Have an enjoyable time!

Note: calculators have no indication of date, I think begin of '70 though

Ford D Series.jpgEEEEEK!!

Amateur driver! Everybody knows you should get the passengers to lean out of the nearside door. Obviously never driven a racing sidecar outfit. :unamused:

Does anybody know if it went over or did she live to do another load!!!1, Eddie.

That"s the last straw.

cattle wagon man:
Whiter than white ,…and no visible rust patches !
This must be one of the last Ford D Series made , judging by the W reg. no.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

The firm i work for had a couple of 1614s on x regs,they came at the same time has the first cargos we had,it was a bit of a bogof deal to shift the old d series stock.The same thing happened a couple of years later with some brand new cargo units with maggie deutz engines that were two yrs old before being put on the road.

rich12:

cattle wagon man:

The firm i work for had a couple of 1614s on x regs,they came at the same time has the first cargos we had,it was a bit of a bogof deal to shift the old d series stock.The same thing happened a couple of years later with some brand new cargo units with maggie deutz engines that were two yrs old before being put on the road.

Ford made very few Cargo units with Deutz engines. They weren’t good it has to be said and were not liked for haulage uses. They were offered as an option when Ford had no other choice, other than the equally underpowered Perkins and ■■■■■■■ V8’s of the time - which has to be said were better in a unit. The Deutz - in a tractor unit - was rapidly dropped as an option (by Iveco), once the ■■■■■■■ L10 finally became available in the mid-80’s. The Deutz though of course, became the engine of choice in the Cargo concrete mixers.

A wagon/drag loaded with straw did that in my local town a few years ago, fell over and came to rest leaning against the pedestrian refuge railings and lamp-post in the middle of the road at the main crossroads. It’s not even much of a bend really. It was Saturday morning, market day, usually a few people standing on the island waiting for the green man, so lucky nobody was hurt. Recovery had a right game sorting it out due to it’s position. Driver said it’d been loaded dry and heavy rain all night while it was parked up had soaked the bales and made it top heavy! I wonder if after that he went out and bought a sheet?
Bernard

sdg1970:

rich12:

cattle wagon man:

Ford made very few Cargo units with Deutz engines. They weren’t good it has to be said and were not liked for haulage uses. They were offered as an option when Ford had no other choice, other than the equally underpowered Perkins and ■■■■■■■ V8’s of the time - which has to be said were better in a unit. The Deutz - in a tractor unit - was rapidly dropped as an option (by Iveco), once the ■■■■■■■ L10 finally became available in the mid-80’s. The Deutz though of course, became the engine of choice in the Cargo concrete mixers.

We had about 12 of them some on y regs,the rest on c regs these were the ones that were 2 yrs old before being registered,we ran them at 32t which made them cough abit on hills,but more worrying was trying to stop them going down hills,all the c reg ones after 2yrs ended up either as yard or local shunt motors which they did very well and lasted years,they then got replaced with daf 2500s.

hi everyone!, someone knows where i can buy parts for the Ford D series of 1972■■?
this lorry is the first ford series D its been imported in argentina.
Im in england at the moment!… much appreciated for all your help!…
thanks

IMG-20130228-00389.jpg

Seen this in a field near brink worth Wiltshire way

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Took this photo a bit quick in Tunisia. Didn,t fancy being buried in wood. Cheers Phil.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0One of Millers of Elsdon, Regards Larry.

not the ford optional flintstone power for hills :wink:

interesting reading all the posts on the old D series i myself have just saved one to restore for shows only a 7.5 tonner but something i have always wanted to do its been of the road since 2004 and is a runner and not bad condition at all really just wondering if anyone has any advice on problem areas that i need to look out for?
here is a pic its a 1979 T reg :smiley:

robert1952:
… I passed my HGV 1 test on one! The test vehicle is pictured below.

That’s almost a carbon copy of the one I passed mine in, which I think had the Percy V8.540.

theroadrunner:
interesting reading all the posts on the old D series i myself have just saved one to restore for shows only a 7.5 tonner but something i have always wanted to do its been of the road since 2004 and is a runner and not bad condition at all really just wondering if anyone has any advice on problem areas that i need to look out for?

Well I was going to say cab rot, but I think you’ve probably got that under your belt :wink:

The only other things I can remember on the ones I drove were:

• brake adjustment going (well) out of whack resulting in that horrible nothing-nothing-nothing-LOCK-UP!! characteristic of so many D series (especially empty)

• head temperature - boiling radiators were not uncommon.