The humble Ford D series

Bewick:

Dipster:

Bewick:

5thwheel:
Would imagine this unit was fairly new.

■■■■■■■ V8 !! I wonder how long it lasted getting punched up and down day and night ? not long I guess as they couldn’t stand up to every man and his dog thrashing them ! SoM probably had to show willing to Ford’s as they were large customers but privately they could not have been very happy with the D1000’s reliability ! Cheers Dennis.

Interesting point.

My experience of Ford (or FoMoCo as it was known then) was after sales service was always excellent over many years. I can imagine a big user would have received really excellent after sales from Ford. So I doubt SoM suffered financially very much if at all.

Even if there is/was 100% warranty support it is the inconvenience of breakdowns and downtime thereafter and it is this element that causes serious operational difficulties and believe me the ■■■■■■■ V’s were very unreliable and the Perkins V’s which superseded them were not much of an improvement. The only way you could succeed with both these engines was to treat them with the greatest respect and in no way were they in the same league as the Gardner or Straight 6 ■■■■■■■ engines although at first they were promoted as being ! Big mistake ! Cheers Bewick.

Yes, of course Ford engines compared to Gardner or the ■■■■■■■ sixes were no match. But then neither was the price, no? An experienced operator like SoM must have had an incentive to use Fords or perhaps they simply could not get the better alternatves?

Well to be honest while working for a BMC dealership we never had a lot of trouble with the Perkins V8 in Mastiffs? A few burned oil from new but modified liners cured that, and many did 100,000 miles without anything major. They were mostly in 16 tonne gross tippers though. By a strange quirk of fete the designer of the Perkins V8 became a member of the Volkswagen camping club I was a committee member of and he was a lovely chap! :slight_smile:

Pete.

The “incentive” or “inducement” that SoM would have had from Ford’s was the substantial contracts they had with Fords ! Otherwise I doubt very much that SoM would have touched the D1000 with the proverbial “barge pole” no danger ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
The “incentive” or “inducement” that SoM would have had from Ford’s was the substantial contracts they had with Fords ! Otherwise I doubt very much that SoM would have touched the D1000 with the proverbial “barge pole” no danger ! Cheers Bewick.

There we have it! Makes sense to me…

windrush:
Well to be honest while working for a BMC dealership we never had a lot of trouble with the Perkins V8 in Mastiffs? A few burned oil from new but modified liners cured that, and many did 100,000 miles without anything major. They were mostly in 16 tonne gross tippers though. By a strange quirk of fete the designer of the Perkins V8 became a member of the Volkswagen camping club I was a committee member of and he was a lovely chap! :slight_smile:

Pete.

I just hope you gave him chapter & verse on behalf of us poor operators, Pete? To be fair, the one that I had was not just a bit “long in the tooth” but had most of it’s teeth missing! By the time I was lumbered with it the oil consumption was worse than the fuel. Running it at 30 tons didn’t help matters, either!

windrush:

Pete.

Well Pete as you say the Perkins V8 was a reliable motor.As you know Ford fitted them with Ford written on the rocker covers and if my memory serves me right there were a few mods that Ford had to their engines.I used to find them a bit " not nice to drive when unladen certainly as a chassis cab as the bounced a bit and your right foot went with the bounce".I fetched a 6 wheeler from Aberdean to Derby during the building of the motorways.Sold it to Charlie Harrision at Yeaveley.David Used to moan about it and even had a sign on the back saying what a poor motor and service.He did buy a 2424 afterwards though.Charlie was one of the best and had a 1614 tipper on grains but it had to pass under Moor Street Bridge in Burton which it did when unladen.When I collected the motor from Aberdeen I had to go to a local Shell station to fill up the 40 gal tank,it was at the time when Shell were giving away glasses.The bloke there couldn’t believe he’d sold that much fuel and gave me more glasess.( still got some for cleaning brushes out.)Oh dear going on again as usual but the name Eddie Stobart comes into mind now and that’s another story Re the engines,we never had any bother with the ■■■■■■■ and a lot of the trouble was not serviced propaly particularly the water filter.The Perkins was used in many motors and the fire service used many of them.here is a photo of David amongts others that I have put on various Truck Net and Facebook sites.

Tony

I do remember that sign on the rear of Harrisons D Series Tony, but like you said he bought another Ford so it didn’t totally put him off! I like the pic of the ‘Jug and Glass’ gang as well! :laughing: I feel that I should know the lad between yourself and Steve Collins but can’t recall his name? Help me please!! :confused:

Pete.

windrush:
I do remember that sign on the rear of Harrisons D Series Tony, but like you said he bought another Ford so it didn’t totally put him off! I like the pic of the ‘Jug and Glass’ gang as well! :laughing: I feel that I should know the lad between yourself and Steve Collins but can’t recall his name? Help me please!! :confused:

Pete.

Next to me on my left is Trevor Stow from Iveco Ford Then Bob Wolley from Monyash ,Malcolm Hadfield from Peak Forest and Robert Hadfield.The one sitting to my right is David Harrison

I’ve just treated myself to a book Britain’s Lorries from the 1980s published by Roundoak Publishing and is a good read for we anoracks.There is a photo of Steve’s Cargo in it.I’ve been trying to get more photos of these motors as I took some crap ones and lost them apart from one of John Websters.The only one I was sent was from John Wayne.All the others said they’d got some but they were in a loft.
Tony

rastone:

windrush:

Pete.

Next to me on my left is Trevor Stow from Iveco Ford Then Bob Wolley from Monyash ,Malcolm Hadfield from Peak Forest and Robert Hadfield.The one sitting to my right is David Harrison

I’ve just treated myself to a book Britain’s Lorries from the 1980s published by Roundoak Publishing and is a good read for we anoracks.There is a photo of Steve’s Cargo in it.I’ve been trying to get more photos of these motors as I took some crap ones and lost them apart from one of John Websters.The only one I was sent was from John Wayne.All the others said they’d got some but they were in a loft.
Tony

Ah, David Harrison. No, I didn’t know him then, but did know Bob and knew of the Hadfields. Bob had a Foden when I finished in 2002 I think.

Pete.

windrush:

rastone:

windrush:

Pete.

Tony

Ah, David Harrison. No, I didn’t know him then, but did know Bob and knew of the Hadfields. Bob had a Foden when I finished in 2002 I think.

Pete.

He’s got a few now

Peak Truck Show 2006 001.jpg

rastone:

windrush:

Pete.

Well Pete as you say the Perkins V8 was a reliable motor.As you know Ford fitted them with Ford written on the rocker covers and if my memory serves me right there were a few mods that Ford had to their engines.I used to find them a bit " not nice to drive when unladen certainly as a chassis cab as the bounced a bit and your right foot went with the bounce".I fetched a 6 wheeler from Aberdean to Derby during the building of the motorways.Sold it to Charlie Harrision at Yeaveley.David Used to moan about it and even had a sign on the back saying what a poor motor and service.He did buy a 2424 afterwards though.Charlie was one of the best and had a 1614 tipper on grains but it had to pass under Moor Street Bridge in Burton which it did when unladen.When I collected the motor from Aberdeen I had to go to a local Shell station to fill up the 40 gal tank,it was at the time when Shell were giving away glasses.The bloke there couldn’t believe he’d sold that much fuel and gave me more glasess.( still got some for cleaning brushes out.)Oh dear going on again as usual but the name Eddie Stobart comes into mind now and that’s another story Re the engines,we never had any bother with the ■■■■■■■ and a lot of the trouble was not serviced propaly particularly the water filter.The Perkins was used in many motors and the fire service used many of them.here is a photo of David amongts others that I have put on various Truck Net and Facebook sites.

Tony

The alcoholic Beveridge’s look a bit light on that table so which firm was hosting ? :blush: :frowning: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They are only poor Derbyshire hauliers Dennis who have just spent some of their meagre income on a new Ford Cargo apiece from the happy salesman third from the left! :laughing: There would be no ‘brass’ available for affording anything grand drink-wise so I reckon the cork was just passed around the table and they each got to sniff it in turn. :wink:

Pete.

B Reeves from Biddenden, Kent. I know nothing about D Series but understand this is a standard D800 cab with D1000 brightwork added. Does anyone agree!!!

going by the extra width on the wings, chrome bumper and the 10 stud wheels i reckon its a D1000

tony

rastone:

Dipster:

windrush:
Am I imagining it but were some of the early D Series made with a fixed (non tilting) cab but fitted with a removeable cab floor instead as an option? I seem to remember something about it at the time but that was a long while ago now! :blush: I know that Albion made their Ergomatic cabs in a non tilting version and you could tell the difference as there was no ‘join’ in the front wings, we inherited one at Tilcon from Oxted Greystone Lime, but I had a feeling Ford offered the same option originally? Wikipedia doesn’t mention it though. :confused:

Pete.

I have no recollection of that at all.

The reason for the option was to make it more useful for a luton.
Tony

the fixed cab was probably what they called the chassis / windshield option i’e no cab just the front scuttle, its in the variants

windrush:

rastone:

windrush:

Pete.

Tony

Pete.

That was Bob’s motor with " Yorkie not for girls " on the sunstrip . He sold the Foden on to Geoff ? the coloured bloke , one of the nicest blokes I worked with .

rigsby:

windrush:

rastone:

windrush:

Pete.

Tony

Pete.

That was Bob’s motor with " Yorkie not for girls " on the sunstrip . He sold the Foden on to Geoff ? the coloured bloke , one of the nicest blokes I worked with .

Mr Friday night

Mr Woolly’s Volvo

Mr Friday Night , that sounds like Geoff , very sharp dresser who loved to dance . He subbed to Starmix at Dukinfield when I worked there . The xmas party was a riot he had everyone up dancing . Damned if I can remember his last name , I used to see him delivering to Fairfield Builders when they bagged their own materials after I finished work .

windrush:

Pete.

Back in the D series days I managed to blag a behind the scenes visit to Heathrow airport shown round by the fleet manager for all those yellow motors with “Heathrow” on the sides, mixed fleet used for all the maintenance around the place. I’d actually gone there to view half a dozen old very low mileage Bedford RS 4wd tippers with a view to tendering to buy them, but was told they wouldn’t now be available for a while as they were keeping them in reserve due to having trouble with their replacements and were in dispute with Ford Motor Co. These replacements were 4wd D1000 tippers with Perkins V8s, fitted with winches and snowplough brackets, in a nutshell they didn’t like all the short runs, were glazing the bores resulting in bad starting and running and burning large amounts of oil. I don’t know what happened next, never got the call about the Bedfords.
But more recently I was talking to a mate, ex Perkins development engineer. Apparently Perkins carried out a mod for oil burning issues on the early V8.
Fit a longer dipstick and put less oil in! :smiley:
Bernard