The humble Ford D series

To finish the sleeper-cab theme (thanks to Dean’s scanned article!):

Robert

DEANB:
Click on pages twice to read.

If you are able to get a brochure with the King’s six x two on the cover I think you will notice that it isn’t a
works County option but a conversion by somebody else.look very carefully.
Tony

Ford works fleet Dagenham

That is an impressive line up, a place for everything and everything in its place. My OCD hopes that they’re all lined up in numerical order.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

newmercman:
That is an impressive line up, a place for everything and everything in its place. My OCD hopes that they’re all lined up in numerical order.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I have a soft spot for Ford.

Many years ago a past girlfriend’s dad worked at Ford, Dagenham, (Briggs Motor Bodies in fact I think), and developed lung cancer. He lost a lung and was unfit for a return to the factory. Ford kindly re-trained him as an HGV driver and put him on their fleet. Were they obliged to? I do not know but I do know he was very grateful and served FoMoCo faithfully for years afterwards.

moomooland:
0Ford works fleet Dagenham

That is one impressive shot of the Ford Factory Fleet and I cannot say anything wrong about the Trader and the D1000 I ran at the start of my career in road transport, although I can say that it would have been impossible to have built the business up using only Ford Products ! Horses for courses and while I, personally, treated the Fords with the utmost respect and acknowledged their weaknesses many employed Drivers could not which resulted in the bad reputation the D1000’s gained ! Just the thoughts of an old time operator ! Cheers Bewick.

This one was bought new by an ex workmate of mine Eddie Hartley (who was also Tipits late father) it was his 1st motor when he ventured into the world of owner driver during the 60s.

That is a great shot, and Ford must of had faith in their own product. The three Transits seem to be petrol looking at the grills!
My father bought a 1965 C reg D series off the local brewery and hired it back to them for a number of years. Great 3 man cab, cheap and easy to maintain, especially with the tilting cab. I always found them comfortable and reliable and drove quite a few from 17 to 24 years of age.
I used to deliver Girling brake products from Cwmbran into Dagenam and the tractor plant in South Ockendon. Looking back those plants were huge with a lot more going on there than the average person could comprehend.

Unusual Ford D-series with sleeper. I think I put pics of it on this thread before but I’m not sure these aren’t ‘new’. Robert

s-l16006.jpg
s-l16007.jpg

moomooland:
0Ford works fleet Dagenham

There’s one in the top left hand corner that’s missed being in the line-up…it would probably made an odd number, I reckon there are 100 tractor units in the two lines. There was obviously some purpose for this photo. Any ideas anyone?

To answer the question about the employee transferred onto the works transport fleet. I believe that all Ford’s own fleet drivers were internal transfers from within the factory. To get a driving job was considered as a promotion and it could take years to wait for a vacancy. Apparently Ford’s works fleet drivers were on very high wages.

Ford D roadtest 1965.

Click on pages twice to read.

ERF-NGC-European:
Unusual Ford D-series with sleeper. I think I put pics of it on this thread before but I’m not sure these aren’t ‘new’. Robert

if i remember rightly its a locomotors conversion , definitely a ford approved conversion as its in the Ford approved body builders book i’ve got at home, when i was driving them i always looked at that photo with envy.
tony

A D tractor with a Nicolas semi-trailer in Auxerre (Burgundy).Perhaps owned by a Ford agricultural dealer.

^^^^^^I’ve just re-sized it for you, Michel, so that now you can see the cab! :wink: Robert

moomooland:

pete smith:
Hi Paul,
Wolverhampton Low Level Station, they turned it into a parcel concentration depot, I can remember the D series and the Commer Walk-Thru vans running out of there, by 1981/2 it was shut for good, now half of it has been demolished and a Premier Inn and pub built there and the main station building is an Indian buffet venue, all 200 yds away from were I’m sitting typing this! Cheer’s Pete

Only 200 yards away Pete, amazing. :smiley:

Here’a a few more ‘D’ Series from the archives.

That H.T.S.is a twin engined trial motor.Ford put out three of these.One to B.R.S and another to E.C.C.When the vehicle was running unladen or very lightly laden you could shut one engine down. It wasn’t meant to be a vehicle to be a for marketing.I’ve got some details but can’t find them but it is a copy of an artical in a magazine.I saw the B.R.S. one outside the Coach and Horses in Lower Tean on the old A50.I think Bedford made one I think Rotinoff made some.Youl find stuff on Google with more detail.

Tony

Nmp

2 still doing a bit in Marrakech this week

Interesting

8DC40CF2-EDFA-4916-AAC1-203DA8DDE725.jpeg

robthedog:
Interesting

“Interesting”…read …■■■■ ugly… :unamused: