The Graveyard

Lawrence Dunbar:

Where and when was this photo taken Lawrence? I have probably driven the Imperial Tankers DAF

mizzo:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Where and when was this photo taken Lawrence? I have probably driven the Imperial Tankers DAF[/quote Hi “mizzo” Which tanker are you refering to :question: , Im an old wagon driver & I get mixed up a bit in my old age, So please help me out on this one, Regards Larry.

Spotted today in a yard in Devon.

Launceston today

A4F105A4-CB01-4AEB-8E9D-68E6B6C8D774.jpeg

robroy:

Plastic bumper model yuck

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

All the others are still in that yard off the A303

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

Did all the E series not have plastic bumpers?

I remember going to an ERF do in 86 ish when that model was launched, I went with the local dealership,.and I met (was it Peter?) Foden, a nice bloke…just think I could have got his autograph for you Dan. :laughing:
A bit of useless info for you. :smiley:
Is he still alive btw?

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

I remember going to an ERF do in 86 ish when that model was launched, I went with the local dealership,.and I met (was it Peter?) Foden, a nice bloke…just think I could have got his autograph for you Dan. :laughing:
Is he still alive btw?

He died a bit back ,c ,d e then change on f all steel .

Don’t know why but when you look at some of these motors parked up as scrap in these photos they look in far better shape than vehicles from another era did, maybe the previous generation of vehicles were easier and cheaper to maintain so therefore were kept longer thereby meaning when their time was up they actually looked like their time was up. I bought a brand new car two years ago, my old car was 10 years old, was literally immaculate inside and out, not a mark on it, it had done 70,000 miles, I’d had it from new but when I went to buy a new car the deal was my old car was scrapped, what a waste! I’m sure some of these vehicles have more life left in them. We live in a throw away society now.

Bewick:
NMP :frowning: :blush: :angry: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Can’t seem to put the shot of a very sad looking Bewick Atky ONL 482M on the screen so it must be a different format or summat ! :blush:
Shot of three retired units awaiting their fate down in the BTS Graveyard 78/79.

what become of them,Dennis?

Kempston:
Don’t know why but when you look at some of these motors parked up as scrap in these photos they look in far better shape than vehicles from another era did, maybe the previous generation of vehicles were easier and cheaper to maintain so therefore were kept longer thereby meaning when their time was up they actually looked like their time was up. I bought a brand new car two years ago, my old car was 10 years old, was literally immaculate inside and out, not a mark on it, it had done 70,000 miles, I’d had it from new but when I went to buy a new car the deal was my old car was scrapped, what a waste! I’m sure some of these vehicles have more life left in them. We live in a throw away society now.

Well said. My Jaguar is 17 years old, I bought it new in 2004, immaculate inside and out., it cost me £34000 ish. Just for something to do during lockdown I entered my reg. no . on ‘We Buy Any C**’ web site. Cheeky buggas offered £500 for it. :imp: Well they can stick that up their jacksy, the car will last me out…and then I’ll be buried in it. :smiley:

grumpy old man:

Kempston:

Well said. My Jaguar is 17 years old, I bought it new in 2004, immaculate inside and out., it cost me £34000 ish. Just for something to do during lockdown I entered my reg. no . on ‘We Buy Any C**’ web site. Cheeky buggas offered £500 for it. :imp: Well they can stick that up their jacksy, the car will last me out…and then I’ll be buried in it. :smiley:

What do you expect for a 17 year old Mondeo in drag [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

New pastures

grumpy old man:

Kempston:

There’s a channel on you tube called kevtee, he drives a transporter collecting scrap cars and some of the cars going to the scrap yard are unbelievable. It’s usually ecu faults or uneconomic to repair on the newer stuff

Kempston:

A car that was 10 years old once over was in general totally ■■■■ ed.
Engines didn’t do the miles they do today,.and bodywork did not last as long.
I remember patching up Minis that were less than 10 yr old with body filler,.and after about 6 hrs they needed a new sub frame as the old one had rotted.
Italian cars like Fiats were total rot boxes.
Cars are much better made nowadays,.even old bangers are relatively more expensive than they were in terms of inflation.

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

Is he still alive btw?

He died a bit back ,c ,d e then change on f all steel .

I remember when all truck bumpers and steps were made of steel, instead of the over expensive decorative crap plastic that they are now. :unamused:

An old Riley needing some TLC

IMG_0038 (3).JPG

blue estate:

grumpy old man:

Kempston:

What do you expect for a 17 year old Mondeo in drag [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

New pastures

It’s nothing to do with the Ford Mondeo, it’s a V6, twin turbo, ZF gearbox, rear wheel drive.
The X type WAS based on the Mondeo, I’ll give you that, but my car isn’t an X type and it’s worth a ■■■■ sight more than £500. :wink:

I’d hate to have to change My 1998 Merc C230 Kompressor
I’ve had it 5yrs, bought it off a mechanic mate of mine who’d had it a similar time
just coming up to 90k on the clock, drives like a dream, shed loads of oomph when needed and still looks mint inside & out.
Never had to put oil in it, water about once every 6 months - the only thing it uses is petrol. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Few dead trailers

D1941F13-2009-4BC1-8B31-B6373C3B3F3D.jpeg

249DC96A-0D70-4612-9679-8314660907B7.jpeg