The Future of Truck Driving & Operation (new questions!)

A decent ventilation system that blows air at the entire body not out into the middle of the cab.

I’d be happy if the various manufacturers would put the same thought into 7.5 tonners as they do in larger trucks. I’m away all week in a Merc 815 and even allowing for the fact that my boss seems to have a thing against buying high top cabs there is virtually no storage in there at all, just what’s under the bunk. The dash has no flat areas at all but the area between the seats has THREE cup holders. Even the glove box door won’t fold out flat. The only “table” there is folds out from the centre of the dashboard but it’s only 6 inches deep. And as for after market stuff, forget it, it doesn’t exist.
OK, I’m done complaining now !!

Designer:
I’ve seen Scania Longlines with a shower installation (which sadly serves only as a shower) - but, how does it manage to comply with total vehicle length legislation? Are Longlines not allowed to carry full-length trailers?

Peter Kempen used to run a Longline that had a shower fitted. It was discussed on TNUK here. As you’ll see from that topic, it was featured in one of the main truck magazines. I can’t find anything other than external pictures of it now, despite some deep Google-ing!

IIRC, the limiting factors were indeed the length and weight of the cab. For sure, a Longline over here wouldn’t be able to pull a full length trailer - even a T-cab can’t. These type of units are used for shorter trailers i.e. powder tankers.

I think that if the government were to relax the vehicle length legislation a bit more, many operators would keep the same type of units and try and squeeze another couple of pallets into a longer trailer. :unamused: :unamused:

marcustandy:
Peter Kempen used to run a Longline that had a shower fitted. It was discussed on TNUK here. As you’ll see from that topic, it was featured in one of the main truck magazines. I can’t find anything other than external pictures of it now, despite some deep Google-ing!

Just thinking how lax I might anticipate the government to be within the next couple of decades… I just recalled that Kempen’s Longline was also a T-cab… This would mean he probably couldn’t haul anything much longer than this tanker, yes?

marcustandy:
I think that if the government were to relax the vehicle length legislation a bit more, many operators would keep the same type of units and try and squeeze another couple of pallets into a longer trailer.

Is it actually possible for max length allowance not to increase enough to allow for more pallets?

What about an anti Asda slow truck missile !. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

marcustandy:
I think that if the government were to relax the vehicle length legislation a bit more, many operators would keep the same type of units and try and squeeze another couple of pallets into a longer trailer. :unamused: :unamused:

Agree unfortunately :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The regs would have to change to limit the length of the trailer and the unit so extra length can be added without it being added to the trailer. There should also be legal minimum requirements of space for drivers who have to sleep in the cab, something for the EU seeming as they like to regulate every and anything.

A thermostat in the cab would be good. One that works all the time keeping the cab warm in the winter and cool in the summers without constant adjustment.

i would like the ability to move the gauges around a screen like you can on the desk top of the computer.
i find it annoying when the steering wheel is set to suit me i cant read the speedo

hitch:
i would like the ability to move the gauges around a screen like you can on the desk top of the computer.
i find it annoying when the steering wheel is set to suit me i cant read the speedo

Thanks for that one. I know a less expensive way to fix that :sunglasses:

Found it, eventually.

Link to previous similar discussion HERE.

Designer:

Kyrbo:
I also like to keep phone(s)/wallet/snacks/camera/whatever in reach of hand over the engine which wouldn’t be possible with flat floor.

Also, how does a flat floor get in the way of upper-dash storage like phone/wallet holders?

It doesn’t, if you have such holders. Most of the trucks doesn’t have, at least mcuh enough. 4-serie Scania has some usable upper-dash storage, but in Volvo I wouldn’t put phone in anywhere else than in floor, or in proper phone holder, but as I have my own and work phone and only one phone holder that creates little problem.

A trucks seats are set too high for you to comfortably reach anything laying on a flat floored cab. You would have to bend over a fair bit to reach whatever it was you wanted. We tend to sit a lot more upright, on a higher seat, than you do in a car.

Designer:
I just recalled that Kempen’s Longline was also a T-cab… This would mean he probably couldn’t haul anything much longer than this tanker, yes?

Yes. A very nice looking motor though.
The Longline cabs are usually mounted on a T-cab chassis, so would be suitable to pull a 40 foot trailer. The extra weight of the cab would mean a reduced payload too, obviously,

There is not a single uk vehicle that is equipped for nights out…that includes …scania…daf…volvo…iveco…man …etc…go across the pond…and look at the american trucks…then you will have some idea as to what is required…
a living quarters at the rear of the driving compartment…that contains…a decent bed…shower…full size fridge…microwave…air con…heater…toilet …with all facilities at the services/truckstops to fill with fresh water …and to drain the toilet waste…only then …will you be able to claim a proper living accommodation…and call it a sleeper cab…

Kyrbo:

Designer:

Kyrbo:
I also like to keep phone(s)/wallet/snacks/camera/whatever in reach of hand over the engine which wouldn’t be possible with flat floor.

Also, how does a flat floor get in the way of upper-dash storage like phone/wallet holders?

It doesn’t, if you have such holders. Most of the trucks doesn’t have, at least mcuh enough. 4-serie Scania has some usable upper-dash storage, but in Volvo I wouldn’t put phone in anywhere else than in floor, or in proper phone holder, but as I have my own and work phone and only one phone holder that creates little problem.

Some trucks are so irritating with poor design, had a Magnum around S reg once great truck for pulling power and although flat floor was great for some things iand it was a good vehicle when overnight t was poor when driving as there was no where to put anything as the dash was all rounded as well.
I kept evertthing on the bed behind me like ■■■■ maps and laptop routing and so on and it was a bummer when you dropped things on the floor and a brown trouser job if they rolled behind the pedals!!

And what about that hammock of a top bunk!!

You’re all being a great help in this. I will be going to the Hannover IAA to pursue/examine these issues further.

I would also like to isolate some more problems in today’s cab design, so it would be great if you could answer the following questions:

What activities inside the cab are most crucial to on-the-job efficiency?
What do you generally dislike about today’s truck cabs that can be improved without greatly changing the law?

Hello again!

The truck design I discussed last autumn is now within less than 3 months of completion. All that’s left to do is resolve the interior and make the driver environment more efficient. Of course, that means I need you guys to answer a few more questions for me.

What controls currently on the dashboard would you prefer to be on the armrests?
What are the outside storage bins normally used for?
I assume there is a need for a secure locker somewhere inside the cab.

That’s all for now. Keep it up with the insightful comments you’ve been making :slight_smile:

there are some really good design ideas on here, but nothing will ever change until the length laws are changed…but they will have to change in preference to the driver and not the freight forwarder…when i started in this industry 43 years ago the maximum length of a trailer was 28 feet…thatb increased to 33 feet…then we went up to 40 foot…well the container boys messed that one up as well …cos they built an extra bit at the front…and an extra bit at the back…and still the idiots pulled them for no extra money…so who will push for the extra length …for cabs only…god knows…
what i do know is the americans have the right idea…stand up …walk around cabs…away from the driving area…with full size fridge/freezer…microwave…tv…shower and toilet…oh what luxury…but never to be applied in england…unless your loaded and can import one…and some people have…the longest cabs and trailers are to be found in scandinavia…but for internal use only…or holland…where the higher weights can also be applied for internal use only…so for the time being…dream on …cos it will never happen over here all the time i have a hole in my watsit…

truckyboy:
what i do know is the americans have the right idea…stand up …walk around cabs…away from the driving area…with full size fridge/freezer…microwave…tv…shower and toilet…oh what luxury…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: yeah and mine had laminate floors, a real log fire, attatched garage, helicopter pad and not to forget the Butler… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

But back to the real world and the above points…

I personally have no preference for switchgear on the armrests

The outside bins are used, by me, for dirty items like wet weather gear and gloves.Also load secureing equipment such as ratchet straps and anything else “dirty” that I would not want in my living area.

I like a lockable interior cubpoard as like most drivers away from home I carry a laptop, TV and others carry Sat Navs that I would like to be able to keep secure and out of site whilst away from the truck. Also the ability to lock personal items away whilst another driver is in your truck for a day/night.

Thanks, Montana Man, for covering the storage solutions issue.

Anyone else partial toward having frequently used controls on the armrests? What are they? (Would be a good way to clean up some of the dashboard in favor of something more useful - suggestions for this would be a big help as well.)

it wouldnt bebifit me with controls on the armrests
but i would like interior strong box for valuables when parked up
plus duplication of controls to left and right depending which way you sleep

hitch:
plus duplication of controls to left and right depending which way you sleep

Would it be good to have an option instead to select which side the controls should be on? Or no harm in redundancy?

On the lower bunk I have a central control pod.