The future of electric lorries

stu675:
A look inside a Tesla
reddit.com/r/teslamotors/co … are_button

Ugh… give me a Guy J4T any day.

Trial due to start in the summer.

Range is going to be a big issue for some, so I’ve wondered if it might be a good idea to tow a small trailer with a diesel electric generator on it to keep the batteries topped up on a pure electric rigid. On an artic it could be hung off the back of a semi trailer much like a moffett, and just as removable. In both cases plugged in via something like an Anderson lead.

Both rigid and tractors would be pure EVs as the generator wouldn’t be a permanent part of the vehicle so would show up on anpr as such so hopefully not attract fines etc ( but I’m pretty sure rules would be changed!!)

WhiteTruckMan:
Range is going to be a big issue for some, so I’ve wondered if it might be a good idea to tow a small trailer with a diesel electric generator on it to keep the batteries topped up on a pure electric rigid. On an artic it could be hung off the back of a semi trailer much like a moffett, and just as removable. In both cases plugged in via something like an Anderson lead.

Both rigid and tractors would be pure EVs as the generator wouldn’t be a permanent part of the vehicle so would show up on anpr as such so hopefully not attract fines etc ( but I’m pretty sure rules would be changed!!)

Great thinking there, problem is the Rigid becomes an Artic and the driver has to be paid so much more because of his amazing skills. Better to do away with the trailer and connect the diesel engine to a gear box like apparatus.

A fool…

Proof way to stop the diesel fairies.

yourhavingalarf:
A fool…

Proof way to stop the diesel fairies.

Did you not hear the story of the Moy Park driver about a month ago being pulled over by two ARV’s who then dragged him out of the cab accusing him of filling up with X amount of diesel and driving off without paying?

The driver apparently calmly pointed the cops towards his LPG tank and asked “how?” :smiley: :smiley:

Hydrogen will win the day in the end once they have everyone’s pants down with EV ■■■■■ like they did with Diesel cars etc. Look at Toyota and JCB as already mentioned earlier! The elites spent millions promoting EV but F all preparing the infrastructure. Hydrogen is a safe bet on the stock markets LONG TERM.
youtube.com/watch?v=rTawvzH0MQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=6liX9KuSwkk

alamcculloch:

WhiteTruckMan:

Great thinking there, problem is the Rigid becomes an Artic and the driver has to be paid so much more because of his amazing skills. Better to do away with the trailer and connect the diesel engine to a gear box like apparatus.

Good point, I failed to consider the licence implications. My main thought was to avoid the appearance of a permanent installation, in which case the vehicle becomes a hybrid. That way it might have the benefits of avoiding range issues, sidestepping any LEZ/ULEZ rules, and hopefully giving the just stop oil crowd apoplexy.

Actually, it’s worth doing just for the last!

Still, rigids carry forklifts (admittedly I can’t remember if 4 wheelers carry them) so the principle of non permanent attachments still holds.

Perhaps they can be thought of as range extenders for motorway/ distance work?

Also, I realised the problem with the fuel fairies after I posted. A fuel drum on the truck perhaps? But that might take you know the realms of ADR regs, which is a new can of worms.

The latest study says Electric HGV’s will soon be cheaper than diesel HGV’s & will need far fewer charge points away from their depots & they will be reviewing where appropriate driver hours regulations and rest stops.:open_mouth:

“Far fewer trucks will require public charge points away from their depots than has been suggested previously, the research finds. Trucks usually take shorter journeys in the UK compared to other European countries because of Britain’s island geography and dense pattern of development. Well over half of British HGVs will only ever need to be charged at their home depot, according to the study. 93% of the 400,000 truck chargers needed by 2050 will be for depots.” transportenvironment.org/di … in-the-uk/

Scania have successfully tested a 1Megawatt charger on one of their next generation electric trucks. "Fredrik Allard, Head of E-mobility at Scania, says, “We see momentum for electric transport, and our goal is that 50 per cent of all vehicles we sell annually by 2030 are electric.” He added that the MCS is a “critical piece of the puzzle for the infrastructure going forward.”

“The company notes that MCS (megawatt charging system) technology is “critical” for long-haul electric trucks, where driving and resting times are regulated by law. In Scania’s example, the vehicle can be driven for a maximum of 4.5 hours before the driver needs to take a 45-minute break, and during this time, the truck must charge enough power to operate for another 4.5 hours. Due to the size of the batteries, both fast and high-power charging is essential, mainly as Scania reportedly works on extra-long-haul trucks with a gross weight of over 60 tonnes.” electrive.com/2023/05/10/sc … ic-trucks/

There can be no mass electrification of the western fleets without russian participation.

e360.yale.edu/features/russia-u … renewables

There are such things as “services economies”, industries and manufacturer economies" and there is russia…

osark:
There can be no mass electrification of the western fleets without russian participation.

e360.yale.edu/features/russia-u … renewables

There are such things as “services economies”, industries and manufacturer economies" and there is russia…

Yes the global supply chain for ‘the green deal’ has been heavily disrupted since the war in Ukraine with battery manufacturers now focusing on LFP battery cells which don’t use nickel,cobalt, manganese. The price of lithium carbonate in 2022 was around $80000/tonne but the price has fallen off a cliff since then with battery companies using less of those materials for battery packs.

The new kid on the block is Sodium-Ion batteries with Sodium carbonate around $300/tonne at present with Chinese car giant BYD using them by the of 2023 in some of their BEV models.
Of the 20 sodium battery factories now planned or already under construction around the world, 16 are in China. cleantechnica.com/2023/04/22/th … this-year/

California have announced the deadline to end the sale of new diesel rigs from 2036. :open_mouth: transportenvironment.org/di … ew-mirror/

I, like so many simply cant see how diesel can be phased out on this short time scale. Electric traction hasnt been tried and tested for mass use. It could work, admittedly in some niche applications.

Why is Battery Electric the answer?
This article in the telegraph basically comes to the conclusion that you need 100% backup supply for when there is no wind or solar, so you might as well not bother, together with the fact that fossil fuels used as a backup supply and twice as inefficient.

telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 … ess-waste/

alamcculloch:
I, like so many simply cant see how diesel can be phased out on this short time scale. Electric traction hasnt been tried and tested for mass use. It could work, admittedly in some niche applications.

You are correct ,companies like warburtons couls use them for store deliveries probably along with the likes of mullers etc …But they are dangerous if people do not know what they are doing ,driver or mechanic .700volts and a lot of amps …You will know what forklift drivers are like ,underruns damaged ,in a rigid the batts are at the underun