The end of a wobble box

the video is stamp dated as 24/08/2017, so bit late news :wink:
other than that, yes far too close for comfort.

here seems the right one nottinghampost.com/news/loc … ter-378491
and it was near mansfield not manchester :wink:

The camera vehicle appears to be travelling at 54 MPH and overtaking the lorry at a rate that suggests the lorry is possibly at 50 or less. So was the lorry driver looking in the mirror for a gap after the camera car to pull out (no indicator though) and then bang? I think we’ve all been in a similar situation without ending up being what we thought would be too close to the vehicle in front.

trevHCS:
After a lot of stop starting, I’m beginning to wonder what exactly was going on and whether this was a brake checking by the car in front of the caravan driver. By looks of things it plays out as:

• Silver car suddenly stops in live lane (vehicle 1).
  • Caravan driver can’t stop and slams into them (vehicle 2).
  • Truck slams into caravan (vehicle 3).

There’s a car in front of vehicle 1 which I’ve marked as vehicle 4 in the pic below and it’s far too close for it to have just overtaken a broken down car and then pulled back into lane one. Plus in the video the car marked 4 pulls away along with the rest of the traffic and only vehicle 1 (silver car) stops.

Thus either vehicle 1 (silver car) has a catastrophic malfunction causing it to brake hard, or it’s brake checked the caravan. No one is expecting this and thus everyone ploughs into everyone else.It might be the lighting but right at the beginning there’s no brake lights on vehicle (1) then they definitely appear to come on as it stops further suggesting that it hadn’t broken down.

What you can’t see in the pic is the car towing the caravan but in answer to the original question, yes the caravan does crash first shortly followed by the truck. Having studied it, I would say the truck driver reacted as quickly as I’d expect since you’re going along, suddenly caravan emergency stops (not too sure if showed any brake lights) and you’ve got to have reaction time which is usually measured around 2 seconds.

I blame ultimately the silver car (vehicle 1) for stopping suddenly and for no apparent reason in the live lane, the idiots in the Highways dept who thought no hard shoulder was a good idea although that might not have helped unless car had broken down and everyone else for driving too close. There’s my report for TNCSI. There are a couple more screenshots but it won’t let me attach more than one.

Agree apart from car 1 being at fault.

mike68:
Is that the toilet seat seen spinning along the road?

to be be fair the truck was far too close to the scumbox so yes the truck driver carries some blame.

A 4 second gap for a loaded truck in good conditions is the minimum a truck travelling at 56mph is travelling just over 82 feet per second the truck was way too close the reaction time of a fit alert driver is an average of 0.7 seconds the drivers reaction time in this case was around the average if not a little above, the problem is the distance between him and the scumbox.

■■■■ poor driving by all concerned.

I am caravanner of some 54 experience.I’m also a retired lorry fitter/driver/transport manager. You and I have never met. What gives you the right to call me “scum”?

emmerson2:

mike68:
Is that the toilet seat seen spinning along the road?

to be be fair the truck was far too close to the scumbox so yes the truck driver carries some blame.

A 4 second gap for a loaded truck in good conditions is the minimum a truck travelling at 56mph is travelling just over 82 feet per second the truck was way too close the reaction time of a fit alert driver is an average of 0.7 seconds the drivers reaction time in this case was around the average if not a little above, the problem is the distance between him and the scumbox.

■■■■ poor driving by all concerned.

I am caravanner of some 54 experience.I’m also a retired lorry fitter/driver/transport manager. You and I have never met. What gives you the right to call me “scum”?

All caravanners should be shot and their children sold into slavery.

chester:

mrginge:
jakethesnake: 543 posts (and counting :wink: ) of lorry driver bashing from a recent retired.

To be fair the poster in question does raise a valid point.
“If your driving to close so you can’t brake if the vehicle in front stops, then your driving to close”

Chuff me isn’t this supposed to be a professional drivers forum?
I cringe when I read some of the gumf on here, I really do.

Lorry drivers cant win. If we leave it up to the last minute to overtake we’re “tailgating anchors”, if we pull out a safe distance for an overtake we’re " motorway blocking anchors".

I do agree that the lorry driver was 100% at fault though, after all, who’d expect another motorist to be able to drive in a straight line at a constant speed on a clear road. Muppet.

Lorry drivers cant win. If we leave it up to the last minute to overtake we’re “tailgating anchors”, if we pull out a safe distance for an overtake we’re " motorway blocking anchors".

Of course we can win nite owl by driving in the right manner. Never a good idea to leave it till the last minute as it’s suicidal if something goes wrong and it’s never a good idea to overtake unless you have a decent pace to pass. It’s all about anticipation, patience and understanding how to drive a lorry is it not? and not ■■■■■■■ others off with bad driving!

Trickydick:

chester:

mrginge:
jakethesnake: 543 posts (and counting :wink: ) of lorry driver bashing from a recent retired.

To be fair the poster in question does raise a valid point.
“If your driving to close so you can’t brake if the vehicle in front stops, then your driving to close”

Chuff me isn’t this supposed to be a professional drivers forum?
I cringe when I read some of the gumf on here, I really do.

TBH I think the whole forum brings the image of truck drivers down, what with the constant bickering and arguing, it must seem like a day out at the zoo to an outsider reading this!
And that is why the pay and conditions are so carp.

nothing wrong with carp,they put up a good fight,well worth the wait

Nite Owl:
If we leave it up to the last minute to overtake we’re “tailgating anchors”…

And if we keep a decent distance then we get some knob in [usually German cars] jumping into the gap causing us to slam on the anchors especially at junctions.

Would still like to know why the silver car slammed the anchors on as there doesn’t seem to have been anything in front of it and if there was it got between them and the car they were following, ie: appeared in a second from nowhere. I remember this accident now as it’s not far from here, but never heard the result.

Did the car towing the caravan get out without getting totally squashed?

jakethesnake:

Of course we can win nite owl by driving in the right manner. Never a good idea to leave it till the last minute as it’s suicidal if something goes wrong and it’s never a good idea to overtake unless you have a decent pace to pass. It’s all about anticipation, patience and understanding how to drive a lorry is it not? and not ■■■■■■■ others off with bad driving!

Our mere presence ■■■■■■ off most motorists.

This has nothing to do with truck drivers v car drivers v caravanners v German cars.

If you are driving along the motorway and you drive into the back of someone, you are at fault. Amen.

The fact that a truck driver is a professional and has undergone training only makes his case worse.

cheekymonkey:
The fact that a truck driver is a professional and has undergone training only makes his case worse.

From memory it took me 12 months to train and pass a car test with extensive time on the road with my parents in between lessons, so why should potentially 8 days training going from a car to a 44T truck make us superman / superwoman “professional driver” that the papers like to tag us with…only when we ■■■■ up.

Just like driving a car, it takes a long time and many mistakes to get good at the job (ask Rob, Juddian and all the other long timers). Not saying we shouldn’t be held to account for messups just like car drivers and on equal basis, but it’s this whole idea that so little training makes us professional drivers automatically with all the associated penalties which annoys me.

Christ, I’m “trained” to drive a moffett, but trust me you never ever want to let me near one or people will die (was nearly me when I drove one).

cheekymonkey:
This has nothing to do with truck drivers v car drivers v caravanners v German cars.

If you are driving along the motorway and you drive into the back of someone, you are at fault. Amen.

+1

trevHCS:

cheekymonkey:

From memory it took me 12 months to train and pass a car test with extensive time on the road with my parents in between lessons, so why should potentially 8 days training going from a car to a 44T truck make us superman / superwoman “professional driver” that the papers like to tag us with…only when we [zb] up.

Just like driving a car, it takes a long time and many mistakes to get good at the job (ask Rob, Juddian and all the other long timers). Not saying we shouldn’t be held to account for messups just like car drivers and on equal basis, but it’s this whole idea that so little training makes us professional drivers automatically with all the associated penalties which annoys me.

Christ, I’m “trained” to drive a moffett, but trust me you never ever want to let me near one or people will die (was nearly me when I drove one).

What a load of waffle. :unamused:

jakethesnake:

trevHCS:

cheekymonkey:

From memory it took me 12 months to train and pass a car test with extensive time on the road with my parents in between lessons, so why should potentially 8 days training going from a car to a 44T truck make us superman / superwoman “professional driver” that the papers like to tag us with…only when we [zb] up.

What a load of waffle. :unamused:

^^^^^^
am i the only one thinking pots calling kettles■■? :unamused: :unamused:

ps.good sensible post there trev…quite accurate.

Yeah maybe quite accurate about himself but remember he was one of the first to try to defend the idiot that smashed into the caravan. :unamused:

And you saying it’s good and sensible after some of the rubbish you come out with just makes it even more laughable. :wink:

jakethesnake:

Yeah maybe quite accurate about himself but remember he was one of the first to try to defend the idiot that smashed into the caravan. :unamused:

And you saying it’s good and sensible after some of the rubbish you come out with just makes it even more laughable. :wink:

The point made was that it takes time and mistakes to make a complete driver. As for the caravan, as long as no one gets hurt, I’m happy for every mobile potty in the land to get obliterated by a Class 1 driving God.

I suppose the caravan acts like the crash protection trailers the motorway maintenance use.
Not as efficient but must act as a sort of extra crush zone. I still wouldn’t like to have to drag one around, though.

trevHCS:

cheekymonkey:

I disagree, and I think there’s a problem with the word… “Professional”. What I mean is we do this for a living. It’s our livelyhood. We should be good at it. At least better than the chap who just uses a car for the odd trip into town or into the next town once a week to visit Auntie Flo.
You sound like you don’t have much faith in your own abilities in a truck or a Moffatt but we’re not all like that.