The end for diesel powered fridge trailers?

Daytrunker:
Was a report on Radio 4 last week,the green yogurt knitters commissioned a survey about pollutants in the air trying to nobble the Diesel engine,The report said the high Nox emissions in the area they tested weren’t from Diesel engines but from wood burning stoves and fires which rather shot themselves in the foot.

Yes I heard that too, I liked the little fact that got quickly moved on from, the report stated that, somewhere in region of 40% of London’s NOX pollution comes from domestic heating.

mike68:

Radar19:
Just have them use Adblue. Audi are now selling diesels with Adblue.

The problem that would occur there is the space in which the little diesel motor is fitted theres barely enough room to fit the battery on a fridge, and also the added cost, something needs to be done theres no doubt about it we have around 50 trailers running at any one time in my depot and the fumes and the soot get everywhere not good for you’re health.

You’d think your gaffers would spend money on plug in points in your yard, save a fortune. Probably get an environmental grant :unamused:

To the point about space. The refrigeration unit is electric, so why don’t they mount the engine under the trailer, a length of cable connecting the 2 :wink:

eddie snax:

Daytrunker:
Was a report on Radio 4 last week,the green yogurt knitters commissioned a survey about pollutants in the air trying to nobble the Diesel engine,The report said the high Nox emissions in the area they tested weren’t from Diesel engines but from wood burning stoves and fires which rather shot themselves in the foot.

Yes I heard that too, I liked the little fact that got quickly moved on from, the report stated that, somewhere in region of 40% of London’s NOX pollution comes from domestic heating.

mike68:

Radar19:

The problem that would occur there is the space in which the little diesel motor is fitted theres barely enough room to fit the battery on a fridge, and also the added cost, something needs to be done theres no doubt about it we have around 50 trailers running at any one time in my depot and the fumes and the soot get everywhere not good for you’re health.

You’d think your gaffers would spend money on plug in points in your yard, save a fortune. Probably get an environmental grant :unamused:

To the point about space. The refrigeration unit is electric, so why don’t they mount the engine under the trailer, a length of cable connecting the 2 :wink:

We were all electric when the place opened in 2010 every bay and the parking area had a hook up, club plant pot put an end to the electrical leads within a couple of months, you can imagine the scenario leads and switch boxes following trailers around the place.

Thinking out the box (or fridge) could the govt not support any haulier that wanted to retro fit a ultra efficient petrol engine, fuel rebates plus financial support for hauliers for this.

These engines could even be built in the UK, creating jobs etc.

These hybrid engines would also have electric running options, wind / kinetic charging capabilities and help develop battery technology for my aforementioned fembots.

OMG I should be PM.

Radar19:

mike68:

Radar19:

It can’t be that small of an engine. I’ve been told its a 2lt diesel! My Merc only has a 1.5lt. I agree something must by done, I see all the fridges that come over from the EU and they are well and truly hosed.

1.5l, bit slow at 44t? [emoji6]

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Dipper_Dave:
Thinking out the box (or fridge) could the govt not support any haulier that wanted to retro fit a ultra efficient petrol engine, fuel rebates plus financial support for hauliers for this.

These hybrid engines would also have electric running options, wind / kinetic charging capabilities and help develop battery technology for my aforementioned fembots.

OMG I should be PM.

Are you going ahead with plans for mandatory ■■■■■■■■■■■■ time?

Radar19:

Dipper_Dave:

OMG I should be PM.

Are you going ahead with plans for mandatory ■■■■■■■■■■■■ time?

Yep Mandatory ■■■■■■■■■■■■ Monday’s are in my Manifesto.
The Mmmm that’s great campaign will be launching soon.

Jobs and knobs for all.

Some things in life involve a government dragging a lot of people kicking and screaming in - in the name of progress, or if you don’t believe in such a thing - money.

Juddian has put forward the case for WHY the government are doing it now (or, indeed doing it at all!) whilst the refrigeration industry is rather old hat with it’s squeals and puffs of smoke as they start up their compressors at night.

Perhaps a hybrid kind of fridge engine that you need to have plugged into the mains for 10 hours a day, so the power cells can be charged AND the thing runs off the mains whilst it’s doing so?
It doesn’t use all that much power in running the electric half of one of these things right now, or we would not be bothering to switch over with the cables when a trailer is dropped into a bay and all.

Like Fracking then, the strongest argument in favour of “Fridge Reform” then is the simple “needs must” that Fuel has been far too expensive for far too long.
It would be easier to replace the more-expensive-to-run engines, which of course in the long run - would actually cost the government taxes. :exclamation:

Red diesel burns exactly the same as white, all it is is a red dye added, it makes no difference to emissions.
As dipper dave mentions, a small efficient turbo petrol engine would cut nox hugely and could be made to run much quieter…

mike68:

eddie snax:
You’d think your gaffers would spend money on plug in points in your yard, save a fortune. Probably get an environmental grant :unamused: :

We were all electric when the place opened in 2010 every bay and the parking area had a hook up, club plant pot put an end to the electrical leads within a couple of months, you can imagine the scenario leads and switch boxes following trailers around the place.

I see what you are saying, we suffer from them :wink:

eddie snax:

mike68:

eddie snax:
You’d think your gaffers would spend money on plug in points in your yard, save a fortune. Probably get an environmental grant :unamused: :

‘club plant pot’ :grimacing: …fill me in on this please, what is it?

AndrewG:

eddie snax:

mike68:

We used to call them the trees, total deadwood !!

How difficult can it be to unplug a trailer, its pure bone idleness :unamused: :unamused:

eddie snax:

AndrewG:

eddie snax:

mike68:

We used to call them the trees, total deadwood !!

How difficult can it be to unplug a trailer, its pure bone idleness :unamused: :unamused:

Ah… with you :wink: Club plant pot… i like it… :grimacing:

It’s an assortment of bellend’s Andrew that drive off whilst forgetting that they are still plugged in. :grimacing:

Quick edit; Eddie beat me to it. :wink: Please note also that club plant pot is different to club cabbage. ( That’s driving off with your tail lift down and ripping it off ).

If standard Diesel belly tank powered Fridges don’t have to pass “emission tests” when a trailer goes in for an MOT - then I suggest the whole argument regarding “emissions for trailer fridges” is a load of ■■■■■■■■ from the very beginning. If I put my threadbare conspiracy hat on here, I might suggest that we’re trying to break away from using the now-hated “German” Fuel and go back to… The FRENCH fuel, seeing as we import so much electricity from France these days. Hmm. Maybe the thing can go full circle, with Scandinavia exporting us electricity once we’re out of the EU, and us paying them some kind of trade kickback in buying these new hybrid fridge units from the very nation that gave refrigeration to the world in the first place. :wink:

Imagine the faux pas this would turn out to be should the price of fuel fall below the price of electricity over the coming years… With so many nations trying to wean themselves off fuel, then surely the demand for that same fuel is going to fall?

Saudi Arabia likes to cut production to uphold the price. If they cut more often - the price will resist rising, because of on-going “alternative” projects now in full swing around the world.

eagerbeaver:
It’s an assortment of bellend’s Andrew that drive off whilst forgetting that they are still plugged in. :grimacing:

Quick edit; Eddie beat me to it. :wink: Please note also that club plant pot is different to club cabbage. ( That’s driving off with your tail lift down and ripping it off ).

PMSL… :grimacing:

Gist have some trailers with Liquid Nitrogen fridge units on them, with no engine at the front and everything mounted underneath.

Trukkertone:
wait , I have an idea … why not run fridges on Co2 ■■/
like Gist used to do , years ago…(or was it called transhield in those days ?)
but don’t go in the trailer for half an hour after you’ve opened the doors… or you may suffocate…

I remember doing an assessment with Gist on these trailers years ago, often wondered why they stopped using them, I’m sure I saw a Waitrose trailer as well with these gas tanks instead of an engine on the front.
Not sure about the half hour bit though, I thought it was more like a few mins.

I do a fair bit of lifting on heavy plant changing the emissions exhaust filters yet I’ve not come across any generators with them on , there’s plenty of stud welding lorries registed as mobile plant going to the lez with engines in the back like 14 litre 465 ■■■■■■■ ect that sit reving all day .

Carryfast:

peirre:

Carryfast:
Great just convert the reefer engine to run on LPG like we should be doing with truck engines.Cheaper fuel and they won’t be able to play the ‘pollution’ card. :bulb:

Have you checked the stories of how much fun DHL are having with their LNG volvos, not to mention the lack of available fuelling points nationwide.

LNG isn’t the same thing as LPG regards availability at least.While there’s no reason to think that a spark ignition engine running on LPG should be much less reliable than running it on petrol.

Will you knock it on the head with all this gas and hot air mate, gas just isn’t viable at the current price point.
Ask yourself this mate, if it was a viable option, don’t you think the companies that deliver gas like Calor and FloGas would be running them? They probably have the best price point, yet their accountants don’t agree with you. I wonder why that is? :open_mouth:

And yes, apparently Calor did try them and binned them off! :laughing:

Back of beyond and slow connection so not providing links at the moment but here’s a few thoughts.
Guessing the idea is that if fridges gen-sets etc have to run on white rather than derv the costs rise so that alternative fuels become more viable. Isn’t that what this is all about?
For a long time the cry has been ‘the polluter pays’.
Aircraft emissions on some studies (sorry no link) are shown to be very highly damaging because they are made so high up. Yet jet fuel is tax free! Where is the logic?
Shipping has been mentioned and maybe worth noting Brittany Ferries have spent millions on cleaning exhaust emissions on existing boats and I think there new boat under construction is some sort of gas engine.
I trust someone can fact check me on all of this and correct me where wrong? That doesn’t include saying I’m always wrong about everything, but that would imply I’m at least consistent.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk