The driverless car by google

Prepare yourselves sinners, for the end is nigh! They are coming and are unstoppable, unless you happen to walk out in front of one. Companies, individuals and even governments will all go for the safer, cheaper option in this respect which means eliminating the error-prone human factor. The technology is already here, expensive though it no doubt is, and many people will be reluctant to give up their autonomy but they are coming. If they are adjusting the highway code then the law must be changed which might take a while. I just think it might be salutary for those who just walk straight out in front of a vehicle expecting it to automatically perform a safe stop only to find out it’s one of the old “non-automatics” wherein the driver is having a sneezing fit/swatting a wasp or whatever and cannot stop in time.

Who the ■■■■ is going to tip the pallets at Aldi, Lidl or break the pallets down for drop and drive at Morrisons, if they get rid of the driver? Who will secure the load, who will be the fall guy when anything happens, they can’t make a sat nav that avoids all low bridges/width restrictions and knows every weight limit now how the ■■■■ will they ever get a truck to do it on its own?

It’ll never happen!

big boots:
i think in 20 years most goods will be moved by train around the uk then moved to their final destination by shunter drivers.

Isn’t a shunter driver just a day bloke on locals?

I’ve just heard (from my friend at C.L.I.T. who admittedly watches a lot of Star Trek) that theres been quite a leap forward in Teleporation devices and quantum transference of data particles including the succesfull reconstruction of data packets over long distances & stuff etc… that make this thread mute and all other forms of transportation in the near future potentially obsolete.

Also the £1 billion experiment into driver less cars has hit a snag when someone pointed out their would always be people in them to move from one place to another any way so whats the point…

Dipper_Dave:
Also the £1 billion experiment into driver less cars has hit a snag when someone pointed out their would always be people in them to move from one place to another any way so whats the point…

whether you agree or disagree the point is it will save them money on employing a driver

Dipper_Dave:

well it would mean no one would need to pass a driving test, so no one would be able to have their licence removed when they get to old, cant see very well, to sick to drive.

I voted 1-5
self drive vehicles are already here
are trucks harder to automate than aeroplanes? Drone technology seems to be becoming commonplace.
I’m sure human drivers will be in demand for many months to come, driving the old vehicles and doing the messy manual jobs

It is important that we tell young, would-be entrants to the profession that there is no future in it and to channel their career elsewhere.
I remember autonomous vehicles from my childhood. The float would stop at each customer address while the milkman would do the leg-work then move on to the next customer when he returned. Constant refuelling from a nosebag.

Euro:
Constant refuelling from a nosebag.

Euro:
It is important that we tell young, would-be entrants to the profession that there is no future in it and to channel their career elsewhere.

I think it is importent to tell our young ones the truth but in the nicest possible way
there is no future for them in anything anymore on this earth