"The Donald" President Trump

Looks to me like there are at least two issues here.
Korea and Trump.

Korea: Anyone who does anything to make the world a safer place deserves praise. Whether Trump`s actions will result in North Korea “coming in from the cold” or not is obviously only in the very early stages, so we can still be hopeful. But I must admit that any hope resting on Trump steering a straight course seems… well, hoping for the best…

Trump himself?
As a businessman he seems to have made some success of his property companies, but is less successful in other endeavours.
The “chapter eleven” business bankruptcies from companies associated to him, left 270millions of dollars debts.
Some of that will be losses to institutions. Maybe some of you dont care about "greedy bankers" taking a hit? Maybe you should consider that those institutions may hold some of your savings for pensions etc? Its not the same as mugging an old lady on the street but there is no such thing as a victimless crime or bankruptcy. Some of that debt will be to small companies and contractors who go bust leaving further hardship.
Donald “It has not been easy for me” Trump had parents with a 200m $ business in the 1970s. He says he started out "with a small loan of one million dollars" from his father" but also swore he "once borrowed $9.6 million from his father, calling it "a very small amount of money", but could not recall when he did so". 100m$ in the 70`s, if invested in typical US bonds would be worth about 6b$ as of 2016. At this time (2016) Trump estimated his worth at 10b$, although Forbes reckoned on about 4b$ and Bloomberg said nearer 3b$. But given the Trump companies are private, it difficult to know, of course.
Business ethics?
“I do play with the bankruptcy laws—they’re very good for me.” (Newsweek 2011)
“I’ve used the laws of this country to pare debt. … We’ll have the company. We’ll throw it into a chapter. We’ll negotiate with the banks. We’ll make a fantastic deal. You know, it’s like on The Apprentice. It’s not personal. It’s just business.” (ABC News Feb 2015)

Brilliant business career? We can all make up our own minds, can`t we?

The thing is we all know Trump has many skeletons in his cupboard and a fair few that seem to have escaped, but then so does almost every other global politician and major business leader. However the constant media witch hunt, especially in the US media over Trump is getting boring now, it could even end up being counter productive.

muckles:
The thing is we all know Trump has many skeletons in his cupboard and a fair few that seem to have escaped, but then so does almost every other global politician and major business leader. However the constant media witch hunt, especially in the US media over Trump is getting boring now, it could even end up being counter productive.

I think I know what you mean about Trump news getting boring, and about it being “counter productive”. He is such a master of spin that all he has to do is say “fake news” and his core supporters love him more every time another skeleton starts rattling! They assume all accusations against him are fake. Nothing he is likely to say is going to convince his opponents that he is a worthy leader, and nothing seems to disillusion his followers.
It`s about as divided a situation as it is possible to be. Very strange.

How lucky we are to live in such an harmonious society as exists here in the UK.

:smiley:

Franglais:

muckles:

I think I know what you mean about Trump news getting boring, and about it being “counter productive”. He is such a master of spin that all he has to do is say “fake news” and his core supporters love him more every time another skeleton starts rattling! They assume all accusations against him are fake. Nothing he is likely to say is going to convince his opponents that he is a worthy leader, and nothing seems to disillusion his followers.

How lucky we are to live in such an harmonious society as exists here in the UK.

When you scratch beneath the surface they’re all as bad as each other. It’s no different to the politicians here, but if you have to choose between Trump or Clinton, Trump is by far the ‘least bad’ of the two. Like someone else said above (or perhaps in another thread), if Clinton had been in I think the relationship the US has with Russia, N Korea, China and various countries in the sandpit would be a LOT worse than what it is currently under Trump; in fact I’d be tempted to go so far as to say the US would be at war with at least one of them. It’s also probably fair to say that a significant amount of Americans voted in Trump as a protest vote because they saw the writing on the wall if Clinton got in.

Franglais:

muckles:

The polarisation of society isn’t just a US and UK problem, but seems to be across the board in what is traditionally considered the developed countries, this isn’t the fault of Donald Trump or Brexit, they are merely the outcome of the growing divide between those with global power, money and influence and us ordinary people.

Then throw into the mix those that think globalisation is a lovely thing where we’ll all be holding hands across the World, like some 70’s Coke advert, when what globalisation really means are those in control pitting the workers of the World against each other to keep their jobs, leading to wage stagnation and a reduction of employment rights, while the corporate leaders increase their wealth and power.

Franglais:
Looks to me like there are at least two issues here.
Korea and Trump.

Korea: Anyone who does anything to make the world a safer place deserves praise.

Firstly for NK read China.Appeasement has never made the ‘world’ a ‘safer’ place.

The ‘world’ has been here before.Just put number 3 or 6 of the second vid,often heard in the ‘right’ ( wrong :smiling_imp: ) places sung by Kraut WW2 vets in the 1980’s. :open_mouth: :laughing:,with the first vid and they match perfectly.Do you still think that ‘Trump’ ( Hilary ) has got it right bearing in mind that,unlike Trump,Chamberlain was only out to fool Hitler,he didn’t actually mean it.While the quote of Bertolt Brecht could almost have been sent by Chamberain as a warning to the ‘world’ in this case.Don’t rejoice in his defeat.For though the world stood up and stopped the b…d the ■■■■■ that bore him is in heat again.Obviously now having created the Chinese regime and the PLA. :bulb:

youtube.com/watch?v=OHZIUdHm6b4

youtube.com/watch?v=tdEhd3BhYzI

muckles:

The sham ‘witch hunt’ is either all part of the plan to keep his vote quiet and onside.

Or the media in question isn’t bright enough to realise that it’s not actually the real Trump.Or that it is the real Trump but he’s been compromised by the Globalists.

The fact that his vote have clearly voted Trump and got Hilary,with a few laughable diversionary carrots,suggests it’s the former.

muckles:
Then throw into the mix those that think globalisation is a lovely thing where we’ll all be holding hands across the World, like some 70’s Coke advert, when what globalisation really means are those in control pitting the workers of the World against each other to keep their jobs, leading to wage stagnation and a reduction of employment rights, while the corporate leaders increase their wealth and power.

Or they’ve given up on trying to make western workers ‘compete’ with third world ones and are just loading up the western world with debt to pay for the Chinese military build up which will eventually enslave us all.

While the bleeding hearts don’t want to join hands with the world.They want to bring everyone who they consider to be living in a disadvantageous part of the planet,to live here with us in the parts considered to be more advantageous.What could possibly go wrong.

the maoster:
Both valid posts above ^^^^ but what in reality is the alternative? Damned if I know, which is probably why I drive a truck.

Wise words Maoster!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

alexsaville:
Spot on, Dennis, the man says what he thinks and if he was running Brexit we would be out by now! Dare I mention his Ma is from the Island of Lewis?
Never underestimate a Teuchter (Glaswegian for a Highlander) or you’ll regret it.
Time these Remoaners shut their mouth and listened to the will of the people.
Take Care.
Alex

If my son didn’t have balls - he’d be my teuchter. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are three kinds of Brexit, there’s a hole in my arse
There’s an old man of Aaron going around and around.