The classic 12-metre tandem spread-axle tilt

Last of the decent Mercs? I disagree there, any Merc without a pair of turbos was a dreadful thing to drive, if you even pictured a hill in your mind you needed to drop a gear.

With turbochargers on the V8 versions though, now that was a different story, a 1633 or 35 was a flying machine and could easily keep up with a 142 or F12, still as reliable as the naturally aspirated versions with pretty good economy, the only downside was that the cabs were a little on the small side.

newmercman:
Last of the decent Mercs? I disagree there, any Merc without a pair of turbos was a dreadful thing to drive, if you even pictured a hill in your mind you needed to drop a gear.

With turbochargers on the V8 versions though, now that was a different story, a 1633 or 35 was a flying machine and could easily keep up with a 142 or F12, still as reliable as the naturally aspirated versions with pretty good economy, the only downside was that the cabs were a little on the small side.

True! But I was thinking gearbox, not engine: the awful EPS and maddening Telligent 'boxes that followed the NG-series drove me up the wall! robert

I had both, EPS in its early added on to a ZF box and on the MB box in the Powerliner 2 version and Telligent in an Actros, to be honest I never had any problems with the latter two. The early version was unreliable, it had a habit of getting stuck in low range, which wasn’t ideal.

Well Robert it was the best and the worst. Being Dutch it was a 1926 and it would not pull whatever it was off your Grandmother.
That being said it was totally reliable - unless the boredom got you first - and had a straightforward manual box. Just as well considering how much you had to use it!

David.

I had what I’m pretty sure was the first LPS1932 in the UK, special order for John Fishwaick an Astran subby. LHD on 1200x20 tyres, M reg 1974

uro_234m_small.jpg

About a year old when I got it to replace the trusty but slow & painful 1418, I still think it was one of the best trucks I have driven, and for its time definitley the best & roomiest cabs to live in, virtually a walk through cab.

First trip out I was grossing around 45 tons, it flew up Bolu in 10 minutes, whereas the 1418 would take over an hour from when I dropped into 1st High.

Whilst most Mercs suffered on hills that one didn’t, 8 speed ZF synchro box sweet as a nut gear changes, smooth ride, reliable and good on fuel.

Those LPS Mercs look the business, especially with the big cab, the V10 engine was a beast in its day too.

TILT.jpg

mechanic77:
0[/

[zb] me,some [zb] has already all the bungies to hold number plates on

This one belonged to my late father

oldtrucks024.jpg

Here’s me on my way to Vienna in 1987ish

A fine example I ‘snapped’ at Gaydon this weekend! Robert

mechanic77:

I’ve just had a look at this thread since it was “bumped” up ! Congratulations Rowly ! the trailer both looks good and is a credit to you mate well done ! Regards Dennis.PS what make of tyres have you fitted.

Bewick:

mechanic77:

I’ve just had a look at this thread since it was “bumped” up ! Congratulations Rowly ! the trailer both looks good and is a credit to you mate well done ! Regards Dennis.PS what make of tyres have you fitted.

A definite improvement on how it looked when I sold it to him!

Hi Berwick thanks for the compliment it took a lot of doing stripped to the bone it would of been cheaper to buy new but then you couldn’t go to the shows and say it’s a 1971 trailer the price on kerruing timber new brakes and drums cut out all chassis steelwork stacks of welding all new paintwork all new sideboards new slats paintwork tilt covers brand new continentals tyres I’m just waiting for a new side box to be built and fitted and that’s it all done thank god then mot

Hi gardener 240 yes it’s a lot better but if you never sold it to me I couldn’t have done it so I owe you a big thank you regards to you and Berwick rowly ward

Bewick sorry I spelt your name wrong regards rowly

rward:
Bewick sorry I spelt your name wrong regards rowly

Yea black mark to you Mate :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Ah! Continental Tyres ! no doubt they will do the job for you Rowly on the application you are using them for and I hope you got them at the “right” price. My mid 70’s memories of trying Conti’s ( and that of my long gone Pal Malc Woodhouse Snr) was not very good which was mainly concerning sidewall failures, bloody great blebs would appear ! But times change and quality improves so I’am sure the set you have will give you trouble free running on the Show circuit, just as long as you don’t load it for the middle East ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Anyway best of luck with your project it certainly looks the part, Cheers Dennis.

Hey,

German steered wide spread, soon goes in restauration.

Eric,

DSCN3779.JPG

Hi Eric,

this one looks just right, is it a Kässbohrer? Trilex rims?
I’m looking for something similar so if you know something i’d be happy to hear from you.

Regards
Jörg