The best British built long haul truck ever?

> Jarvy:
> Can I put forward this, E320, Fuller 1109, rubber rear suspension. Roomy cab, comfortable drive (when loaded) and reliable.

Fuel tank looks small (tiny), was there another one the other side?

whisperingsmith:
> Jarvy:
> Can I put forward this, E320, Fuller 1109, rubber rear suspension. Roomy cab, comfortable drive (when loaded) and reliable.

Fuel tank looks small (tiny), was there another one the other side?

Bigger tank this side.

Would be bigger apart from the dent in it !

No way the best long haul lorry. The fastest ? Probably

Limey:
Didn’t the Globetrucker Foden do a dozen or more trips deep into roadless Eastern Asia? And that was after Fredereici had finished with it!

I posted the vids previously.Swiss to Vladivostok apparently.

youtube.com/watch?v=4EKvdnvsjps

youtube.com/watch?v=_kKJi48Stv0

Jarvy:
Can I put forward this, E320, Fuller 1109, rubber rear suspension. Roomy cab, comfortable drive (when loaded) and reliable.

I recognise that picture! I took it in Aug or Sept 1986 when I was briefly driving it on dock traction work. I remember arriving in Dover on a hot day and the wipers came on, and the only way I could stop them was to pull the fuse! Comfortable enough to drive but I was never keen on that cable change version of the 9-sp Fuller. R

Now that is a very interesting video… it’s a bit out of order as to where and when… but at 17 min and 50 seconds that looks remarkably like a Trans Mondo Volvo with a grey tilt and TIR plate… I can’t recall ever seeing a Foden as that’s something I probably would remember…

Jeff…

To answer the questions, sorry Robert I borrowed your photo as all mine seem to have got lost. Yes it had a bigger tank on the other side and once you got used to the gear change it was ok. This one was high geared and was still pulling at 80, not that I ever went that fast of course!
But as a long haul motor was very good, crap at urban deliveries though.

Jarvy:
To answer the questions, sorry Robert I borrowed your photo as all mine seem to have got lost. Yes it had a bigger tank on the other side and once you got used to the gear change it was ok. This one was high geared and was still pulling at 80, not that I ever went that fast of course!
But as a long haul motor was very good, crap at urban deliveries though.

No need to be sorry, you are welcome to use any pics I took as often as you like :wink: Jarvy. Am I right in thinking that Foden S106 had double-drive? Robert

Yes it did, as did all the company C series ERFs and the later and better Foden 4400 with the E400, that really went well.

So the self proclaimed God of lorry drivers and Oracle of all things transport related managed to set fire to a lorry due to a binding brake.

Is it just me, or am I right in thinking that a decent driver would have noticed long before it got hot enough to catch fire?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:
So the self proclaimed God of lorry drivers and Oracle of all things transport related managed to set fire to a lorry due to a binding brake.

Is it just me, or am I right in thinking that a decent driver would have noticed long before it got hot enough to catch fire?

As I said unfortunately ‘it’ ( the truck ) didn’t catch fire. :smiling_imp: Probably because I saw the smoke from the brake in the mirror and it was only after I’d stopped that the lack of airflow increased the temperature enough for the paint on the wheel to ignite and burn the tyre wall but that was all.But until then obviously not enough drag from the one obviously partially binding brake to notice anything when pulling and declutching it during gear shifts.It was all part of the fun of driving old junk ready for the scrap yard maintained on a shoe string that had spent most of its life in a salt water bath.If you think that minor drama was bad you should have seen the results of a flailing prop when a rusted and seized UJ broke up running an old Bedford 4 x 4 to Godstone.I can only describe it as like a bomb going off under the thing. :open_mouth:

No such issues with the later S85’s though. :wink:

Carryfast:

Limey:
Didn’t the Globetrucker Foden do a dozen or more trips deep into roadless Eastern Asia? And that was after Fredereici had finished with it!

I posted the vids previously.Swiss to Vladivostok apparently.

youtube.com/watch?v=4EKvdnvsjps

youtube.com/watch?v=_kKJi48Stv0

The Foden S10 cabbed units in its original and later 4000 guise should certainly be considered in this thread. I have referred to that particular drawbar outfit in my LHD Foden thread but I haven’t seen this footage of it in the wilds, so thank you CF for posting it! The wonderful thing about Foden is that you could specify your engine, gearbox, cab, chassis, axle configuration etc. Foden was the last manufacturer to make units with constant-mesh transmissions in this country, I believe. I strongly suspect that you could probably have commisioned a set of Foden S10 units that would have satisfied most of those of us on this forum - a sobering thought! Robert

Here you go. Done a bit of homework. Bit of fun.

If I was an owner driver on long-haul, my choice of British wagon would be a LHD 4x2 premium tractive unit with a sleeper cab, a 9-speed Fuller gearbox and a ■■■■■■■ engine where possible. My shopping list would look like this.

1970s, in order of preference:

ERF NGC Cu14: NTC 335
ERF B-series Cu14:290
Seddon-Atkinson 400 Cu14: NTC 335
Leyland Marathon Cu14: NTC 335
Ford Transcontinental Cu14:290
Bedford TM Cu14:290
ERF MGC Cu14: NTC 335
Seddon 38:4 RR280

1980s, in order of preference:
ERF C-series Cu14:320
Ford Transcontinental Cu14:350
Leyland Roadtrain RR350
Foden S104 Cu14:NTE 400 + wedge
Ford Cargo Cu10:L10-290

1980s, in order of preference:
ERF E-series Cu14:NTE 400 high-roof*
Foden 4000 Cu14:410 S10 Hi-line (Belgian-spec)*
Ford Cargo Cu10:L10-290

NOTES:

1. All cited above were actually available with LHD and 9-sp 'boxes but those with asterisks* were only available with that combination in theory.
  2. Anyone doubting my preference for 9-sp Fullers should take this with a pinch of salt! I am an able user of Fuller 13-sp and Eaton Twin-splitter boxes but I just have a strong quirky preference for a stick-shift for every gear :wink: .

Robert
Robert

I have ^^ updated the above offering. It took me years to assemble that list and I reckon there’s a lot of material there to get some teeth into. If you want a RHD synopsis of the same scenario, I could provide it if required :wink: . Robert :smiley:

I’d of fancied a ERF EC12 410 TX Olympic fitted with the marvellous twin splitter
Unfortunately I’ve never done long haul only long distance UK and Ireland

ERF-NGC-European:

If I was an owner driver on long-haul, my choice of British wagon would be a LHD 4x2 premium tractive unit with a sleeper cab, a 9-speed Fuller gearbox and a ■■■■■■■ engine where possible. My shopping list would look like this.

Robert

As far as I can remember, the B series was available with the ■■■■■■■ 350 engine when they launched the European version. Transcons had NTC355E engines from 1975. TMs had E370 engines from 1978/9, or 92 series Detroit at 360bhp from 1977.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

As far as I can remember, the B series was available with the ■■■■■■■ 350 engine when they launched the European version. Transcons had NTC355E engines from 1975. TMs had E370 engines from 1978/9, or 92 series Detroit at 360bhp from 1977.

Ah yes! I had overlooked the TM E370 in my hurry to avoid the Detroit! You’re right about the 355 in the Transcon - IIRC I was favouring the big-cam 290 (against the small-cam 355) when I drew up this list. As for the B-series, I believe you could only get LHD units with 350s in the 6x4 chassis and 290s in the 4x2 chassis. This was quirky and when the C-series came out, again you could get a 320 in a 4x2 chassis but a 350 in a 6x4. I’m sure exceptions will surface eventually! Robert

Just come across this post. I use to drive an Atkinson with a Krupp cab back in 1972. It was owned and operated by a man called Bernie Stone from Watford. I was driving for him and at the time was pulling
for MAT - Britannia Express. I ran Italy and Greece ,Greece was with a tilt trailer and Italy was with a tilt and at times a reefer.
It was powered by a Rolls Royce 220 Eagle coupled to ZF box. It had an excellent sleeper with two bunks. It never played up and the only issue I encountered was when the water pump packed up near Milan one trip.Actually a mechanic came out from a marine engineering company and fitted a new pump.I have got some photos of the lorry but I don’t have a scanner. The registration was WNK 419 J.It was originally painted orange and then later on it was painted blue and yellow. I can remember taking it to a garage in South London for servicing I think it was called Penfold Commercials.
Hope this is of interest. John B.

CrashBox:
Just come across this post. I use to drive an Atkinson with a Krupp cab back in 1972. It was owned and operated by a man called Bernie Stone from Watford. I was driving for him and at the time was pulling
for MAT - Britannia Express. I ran Italy and Greece ,Greece was with a tilt trailer and Italy was with a tilt and at times a reefer.
It was powered by a Rolls Royce 220 Eagle coupled to ZF box. It had an excellent sleeper with two bunks. It never played up and the only issue I encountered was when the water pump packed up near Milan one trip.Actually a mechanic came out from a marine engineering company and fitted a new pump.I have got some photos of the lorry but I don’t have a scanner. The registration was WNK 419 J.It was originally painted orange and then later on it was painted blue and yellow. I can remember taking it to a garage in South London for servicing I think it was called Penfold Commercials.
Hope this is of interest. John B.

Hello crashbox! We could do with your experiences on my thread all about those Krupp cabbed Atkis. Perhaps you could get a mate do scan your pics. Anyway here’s the link to the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=118469

Cheers, Robert

Carryfast:

newmercman:

As I said unfortunately ‘it’ ( the truck ) didn’t catch fire. :smiling_imp: Probably because I saw the smoke from the brake in the mirror and it was only after I’d stopped that the lack of airflow increased the temperature enough for the paint on the wheel to ignite and burn the tyre wall but that was all.But until then obviously not enough drag from the one obviously partially binding brake to notice anything when pulling and declutching it during gear shifts.It was all part of the fun of driving old junk ready for the scrap yard maintained on a shoe string that had spent most of its life in a salt water bath.If you think that minor drama was bad you should have seen the results of a flailing prop when a rusted and seized UJ broke up running an old Bedford 4 x 4 to Godstone.I can only describe it as like a bomb going off under the thing. :open_mouth:

No such issues with the later S85’s though. :wink:

The only thing ive seen worse than a flying propshaft and this is debateable is a brake disc shatter on the front axle.First time wrote the front axle off,the last time we were doing 50mph,the poor driver gripped that steering wheel like he was going of a cliff.Within 5 seconds the tyre had gone,the rim had gone and it was on its way through the caliper.I was along side of him.Poor sod.

That sounds like a scary ride, I’ve had a front wheel blow out at 90km/h and that was bad enough. It took me from the inside lane to the outside lane in an instant, by some miracle, there were no vehicles alongside me at the time, had there been it would have been carnage. To add insult to injury, the tyre that blew had been fitted 30mins before, it was a Michelin too, I got the tyre man to bring out two new Bridgestone replacements and gave them the other Michelin back in case it was a bad batch.

Did you establish the cause of the disc failing? Was it cracked and due for replacement or just a catastrophic failure?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk